Illusory § Order of the Pho...

By Hircines

What is normal to the spider, is chaos to the fly or In which Antares Kelly knew he would get tangled in the... More

EPIGRAPH!
CAST!
I. YOUR MOTHER'S SON
II. AS IT SEEMS
III. THE FOURTH FLOOR
IV. THE NOT-SO-GOLDEN TRIO
V. CONGRATULATIONS, HARRY
VI. FOR SIRIUS' SAKE
VII. THE EARLY BIRD
VIII. LIKE FATHER LIKE SON
IX. RISK MANAGEMENT
X. PROFESSIONAL INTEGRITY
XI. MAKE THEM SEE
XII. OF BONDS AND BURDENS
XIII. A PURE-BLOOD PRINCE
XIV. DEMANDS ON ALL SIDES
XV. PRESERVATION VS. PROGRESS
XVI. HIDDEN AGENDAS
XVII. A LESSON IN NON-RETALIATION
XVIII. THORN IN THE FLESH
XIX. ALTERNATIVE METHODS
XX. ANDROMEDA
XXI. REBELLION
XXIII. BONFIRE
XXIV. REDEMPTION
XXV. SILENCE OF THE MATRIARCH
XXVI. FALSE CONFESSION
XXVII. IN THE NAME OF TRADITION
XXVIII. WITH FRIENDS LIKE THESE
XXIX. PRETENDER
XXX. THE MORNING ISSUE
XXXI. A PURE-BLOOD POWERHOUSE
XXXII. WANT FOR NOTHING
XXXIII. CAST BACK
XXXIV. UNWILLING ADMITTANCE
XXXV. SEE A MAN ABOUT A DOG
XXXVI. BITE
XXXVII. A DAY OF SURPRISES
XXXVIII. MIRROR IMAGE
XXXIV. BACK TO THE BASICS

XXII. WARRING MINDS

708 53 5
By Hircines

      ✯      ✯

      Antares stood leaning against a tall mirrored wall, arms folded as he stared off into the room. Students littered the space, taking turns casting spells at each other. It looked like the constant change in Defense Professors chipped away at their education. There was no set level to test them. Some students couldn't cast spells they should have learned in their second and third years. The Slytherins, of course, were up to snuff (by Slytherin standards), with the exception of Astoria Greengrass, who had less experience. She was still marginally better than the rest. Besides that, the only other students who came close to meeting his expectations were Ginny Weasley with her Bat Bogey Hex and Susan Bones with her Slug-Vomiting Charm. Still, neither of those were real duelling spells.

Harry was in the midst of showing them the correct wand flourish for Expelliarmus. While most knew how to do so, their attempts, at best, were poor. Neville Longbottom couldn't cast the charm to begin with, leaving him stuttering in embarrassment every time he tried.

At least Harry was shaping up to be a marvellous teacher. He was vocal, attentive and surprisingly patient.

"Are you not going to join?"

He snapped out of his train of thought, finding Higgs looking at him expectantly. "Hmm?"

"In teaching them?" Higgs elaborated quietly. "I thought you would have been the first to flaunt an offensive spell, but Cassius beat you to it."

Antares scanned the room, eyebrows furrowing after hearing the younger boy's request. "I don't see the point. I am not the one teaching; Harry is."

"Seeing an actual professor performing magic might help. I think they're getting discouraged every time we're successful, and they're not," said Higgs, referring to the Slytherins in the room.

The older boy watched Isolde effortlessly flicked away a Hufflepuff student's wand. "Their insecurity is not my problem. Neither is it yours," he retorted.

Higgs raised an eyebrow. "Isn't it? You brought us together to ally all the Houses. You know, the power of friendship and all that stuff. That makes their problems our problems."

Antares hummed, eyes never waving from the training area. "You sound like you've been reading one of those insufferable Muggle self-help books."

Higgs gave him a small but cheeky smile. "Maybe you should try reading one. You might learn a thing or two, Ares."

"Don't patronize me," the older boy groaned, pretending to be annoyed.

"We want them to trust us, right?" the younger Slytherin asked rhetorically. "If they keep feeling inadequate, they won't, and then this whole thing falls apart before it even starts."

Antares bit his lip, cursing Pucey for picking such a good protégé. At the exact moment, he spotted Neville, who managed to expel his own wand from his grasp. "Then why don't you put your galleons where your gob is," he drawled, nodding over at Neville.

Following the nod with his eyes, Higgs scrutinized Neville's form silently before shrugging as if to say, 'Why not?'. He strode over to the Gryffindor, careful to avoid another flying wand. Antares couldn't hear the exact words, but he saw Higgs explaining the proper stance to Neville. Higgs always had a charming confidence about him. Hidden by his quiet demeanour, a show of ego was rare.

Meanwhile, a few meters away, Isolde and Ginny looked to be arguing, flinging insults more than they were spells. Cassius laughed with Ernie MacMillan as they stood on either side of a training dummy, casting Depulso on it in some odd game of hot potato.

Eventually, the meeting slowed to an end, and most, if not all, of the students held excited smiles as Harry congratulated their efforts. Higgs, Cassius and Isolde lingered behind as Daphne and Astoria left for the evening.

Harry walked over to Antares with an anxious smile. "So, how did I do?"

"You were surprisingly competent," the older boy smirked teasingly. "I didn't have to step in once."

"That's the nicest compliment you've ever said to me," Harry said playfully. "Actually, I think that's the only compliment you've ever said to me."

"You earned it," the Slytherin shrugged. "Don't let it go to your head, Potter."

When the last few students trickled out, Higgs, Cassius, and Isolde joined them. "Good job, mate," Cassius said, clapping Antares on the shoulder, his tone friendly. "This group might actually be worth our time."

"I am not the one you should be thanking, you muppet. Harry was the one who let you stay," Antares huffed.

Higgs nodded in agreement. "That he did. You chose well, Ares."

Harry's face twinged with confusion— the only one who didn't understand. The three Slytherins that stood before him held the same in-house positions that he, Adrian and Vita had while they were students. There wasn't a set word that described what they were; Guards might be the closest thing. They defended the House and served as guides for all Slytherins. Those who presented themselves as leadership material were easy to pick out. Strength recognized strength. It was an innate awareness.

There were always three. Adrian picked Higgs, and although she never said it outright, Vita must have nudged Isolde in this direction (he was sure of it). Antares, however, never chose anyone. He never felt the need to. Cassius rose through the ranks via his own strength, much like he did. So, to have Higgs say something like that rang very clear for Antares.

Did it count if Harry wasn't green?

Harry himself looked between the Slytherins. "I appreciate your help," he said, his gratitude evident, although he felt like an outsider.

"So, what's the next move on Umbridge?" Cassius asked brazenly, earning a quiet hiss from Isolde.

"Cass," she scolded, appalled by his lack of tact. She sent Harry a furtive glance, causing Cassius to straighten immediately.

Antares raised his hand. "It's fine," he said, turning to Harry. "We can talk later."

"Hang on," the Gryffindor exclaimed, "If you're planning something against Umbridge, I want to know."

"Your enthusiasm is appreciated, truly, but I was serious when I told you to leave this to me," Antares said, his tone firm.

"But you're involving them," said Harry, outraged and pointing to where the Slytherin Trio stood. "They're students."

"They are," the older boy nodded. Antares maintained a calm demeanour despite Harry's frustration. "They also happen to be of age."

Higgs, sensing the rising tension, stepped forward. "We got involved because we were the best option." Harry looked offended. "I wasn't saying that to slight to you. Umbridge is vindictive, and she's watching you like a hawk. Ares coming to us was the better strategy."

"Well, now he definitely knows," grumbled Cassius quietly, earning him a smack in the shoulder from Isolde. "Ow!"

"Harry," Antares said, bringing the attention back to him, "you have to understand that involving you in this would have put you in even more danger."

Harry seemed torn, his desire to be actively involved warring with Antares' logic. Meanwhile, Cassius, Higgs, and Isolde exchanged silent glances.

"What do you mean 'even more danger?'" Isolde questioned, eyes narrowing.

Antares hesitated for a moment, gauging the Slytherin trio's reactions. Revealing too much could jeopardize the Order, but he knew they deserved an explanation.

"I did not come to Hogwarts to pursue a career in teaching," Antares began carefully, "I was assigned to protect Harry."

"Assigned?" Cassius mimicked.

"Yes, assigned," he admitted with a sense of reluctance. "By the Order of the Phoenix." There were varying degrees of surprise that littered the faces of his friends.

Higgs, Cassius, and Isolde were well aware of the Order of the Phoenix; Coming from prestigious Slytherin families, it was hard not to. They all had family members that joined with Voldemort— uncles, cousins, siblings— all of whom were eventually killed or imprisoned.

He couldn't remember when exactly, but at some point, the Order became a cautionary tale. Death Eater parents would weave stories of Slytherins that failed to complete the Dark Lord's will, claiming that the Order killed them for showing weakness. They would embellish Voldemort, praise him, and tell their children that he protected his followers. When the children of these families joined Hogwarts, many learned how false the stories were. Yet, they lingered. Somewhere in the back of their minds was the belief that because they were Slytherins, they would be treated like Death Eaters.

"With Voldemort back, Harry is in danger," Antares continued. "I came here because Dumbledore believed my skills would be useful."

"I did wonder why you came back. You said you wanted to travel about— leave your mark on the world," Cassius spoke. "You and Adrian talked about it a lot."

Antares gave him a half-smile. "That was my original plan. I still hope to do that, but things have changed."

Higgs, however, wavered. His forehead was creased, a tense look in his eyes. "Are you fighting Umbridge because of what she would do to us, or are you fighting her because of him?" he asked, glancing at Harry.

"I kept the Order business separate because it does not involve you," Antares defended himself. "I did not know Umbridge was a threat until I got here, and when I did, the first I made sure to do was check on all of you."

"Because you wanted to know our opinions, or was it to see if we were potential threats?" Isolde threw out, her tone sharp.

Antares bristled at the accusation. He looked at his fellow Slytherins, his eyes ablaze. "If I thought you were not to be trusted, I wouldn't have involved you at all," he snapped. "I didn't ask for this assignment, but I accepted it because it has given me the chance to fight. I couldn't turn my back on that."

"You've always been ambitious, Ares, but this is..." Higgs sighed, "Well, I'm not sure what to call it."

"I do," Cassius huffed. "It's bloody mental. You're fighting against a corrupt Ministry, dodging Death Eaters and trying to protect Harry Potter, all at the same time." He rolled his eyes. "You need help, mate."

Antares huffed a laugh. "Thanks, Cass."

"I didn't mean it like that," the brawny Slytherin backtracked. "I meant that you can't do this alone."

"I'm not," Antares said, crossing his arms. "I have you," he paused, "and technically, the Weasley twins."

"You asked them?!" Isolde cried. "They're menaces!"

"That's exactly why I asked for their help," he confirmed. "They're resourceful when they want to be."

"You could be labelled a blood traitor for that," Higgs said, his voice tinged with worry.

Antares' expression shifted. "I'm well aware of the risks, Terrence. We need allies beyond the boundaries of our own House."

In truth, the term "blood traitor" meant little to him. He would never willingly dishonour his mother's family, and there was no chance that he would ever betray Sirius. While lineage was important in wizarding culture, Marissa Kelly raised her son to value people for their character, and although he seemed at odds with Molly, the Weasleys were good people.

However, he couldn't say the same for the rest of pure-blood society and, by extension, Slytherin. Antares still needed their support if he wanted to unseat Umbridge.

"I didn't realize it was this complicated," Harry spoke up, reminding the Slytherins of his presence.

Higgs shook his head. "It's more than just complicated. We're waltzing into a political minefield."

"And no offence, Harry, but politics isn't really your strong suit," Antares remarked.

Harry ran a hand through his unruly hair, clearly frustrated by the situation. "I just want to stop Umbridge and help my friends," he said.

"I know," the older boy said softly, "but if we don't plan this out, we will play right into Umbridge's hand."

"Speaking of plans," Isolde chimed, "we've been slowly convincing other Slytherins to challenge her ideology. She doesn't seem to be very popular with the seventh-years—"

"But we've run into an issue," Cassius interrupted brusquely. "The Inquisitorial Squad is doing the same, and they've managed to snag most of the fifth-years— courtesy of Malfoy."

Antares raised an eyebrow at the mention of his cousin. "He's been recruiting?"

"I wouldn't call it that. The other students are afraid to oppose him because of his father's influence. Lucius could ruin all their families," Isolde said, crossing her arms slowly.

Cassius nodded, "And I think I have a solution for that, but I wanted your approval first."

"Cass, you don't need my approval. Slytherin is yours; You do what you think is best," Antares responded.

"You'll want to hear him out," Higgs drawled, pinching the bridge of his nose.

Antares pursed his lips, shooting Higgs a confused glance. What on Earth could Cassius possibly suggest that would be so barbaric?

"I want to go undercover in the Inquisitorial Squad," Cassius announced.

"No, you don't," Higgs said, annoyed.

Cassius squared his shoulders, meeting Antares' gaze with unwavering determination. "I know it's risky, but we need an insider's perspective. Higgs can't 'cause he has to protect the younger years, and Isolde made her opinion known."

Isolde's voice mirrored Higgs' concern. "What if they find out you're feeding us information? You could end up in serious trouble or worse."

"C'mon, we're already sneaking around behind Umbridge's back." Cassius scoffed. "Think about it, Ares; It's the perfect opportunity for sabotage!"

All the while, Antares hadn't said a word, his eyes still locked with Cassius'. He didn't like it, but even he had to admit, it was tempting, and he knew that Cassius never would have suggested it if he wasn't confident he could do it.

"Are you sure about this?" he found himself asking.

"Absolutely," breathed Cassius.

And two days later, when Antares was walking down to the dungeons to assist with a first-year potions class, he passed Cassius, who was exiting his common room. As they exchanged glances, a glint of metal caught Antares' eyes. Pinned above the Slytherin insignia on his friend's robes was the blaring silver badge of the Inquisitorial Squad.

      ✯      ✯

What's it been, like 3 weeks since an update? Sorry y'all, but that's University life.

Now that the Slytherins have mixed with everyone, what are some headcanons y'all have come up with? (I may or may not confirm them)

Be sure to VOTE and COMMENT to show your support. FEEDBACK is always appreciated and feel free to ask any questions you may have!

~Hircines

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

130K 3.6K 25
a time in which the golden era travels back to the marauder's era to fix the mistakes made by the second wizarding world. a story where the students...
152K 3.7K 59
"What's the difference between me saying yes to Potter and you to Black?" "Easy. Potter is in actual love with you, but-" "But?" "To Sirius I'm jus...
871 30 39
Marigold Potter is back for her 2nd year at Hogwarts. She technically a third year, after passing all of her exams, but it still feels weird for her...
227K 9.6K 130
Iris Rosier always believed she was the odd one out. She didn't share her family's beliefs and constantly felt as though she was different from them...