Shades

By authorsommy

"He has no fucking right to fucking touch you!" "You can't tell me who I can and cannot hang out with" He fin... More

Blue
is not
just a feeling
of sadness.
Everything
is deserving
of a
second chance.
Life
is tough
but
so are you.
The strongest
hearts
have
the most
scars.
There is
always
more
to people
than
they
let on.
Hear
in

the hell

19 4 0
By authorsommy

Fridays were the best times Kate liked to be in the library. The other students who worked with her chose other days for their night shifts but Kate loved Friday nights. It meant that not a lot of people would be at the library which meant she could focus on reading and catching up on assignments.

Yes, it was a nerdy wish but with almost everyone out partying and doing stuff, it was a great wish for her.

"Kate"

She looked up from the book she was currently engrossed in at the librarian, Rye— she was a young woman in her thirties, with shiny dark hair and bold green eyes. She was really pretty and loved to smile but was also somewhat strict.

"Hi Rye"

"Hey, are you done with your assignments?"

She looked at her book. She hadn't even gone halfway yet because she kept thinking about a certain someone who was probably still doing nasty things with a redhead at a party. But of course, she wasn't going to tell Rye that.

"Uh, almost"

"Great" Rye smiled. "Can you check the second floor for any more books around? These people don't just know where the shelves are anymore."

Kate nodded and moved to the stairs.

"Oh, and Kate?" Rye called making Kate turn to her. "I think there's a kid up there. He's been there for hours. Please check if he's actually doing something useful and not making out with girls" She frowned.

Kate laughed. Rye was strictly against the students making out in the library. She said it was defacing the property and insulting to the books around. But no matter how many times she tried to stop it, people still did it, sometimes even while she was there.

She got to the second floor and started to pack up some books left by the students. Some were even lying carelessly on the floor. She wondered if there was anyone on the floor because it was so quiet. There were a few first-year students on the ground floor so maybe whichever 'kid' Rye thought was up here had gone downstairs and joined his mates.

She moved around the shelves, putting the books in their places, and paused when she smelt something funny.

Cigarette smoke.

So there was a kid here and he was smoking? Kate moved around the shelves to the end of the hall where the smell was coming from. She stopped in her tracks on seeing a boy with a cigarette in his mouth, several books around him on the table, and a pair of glasses on the bridge of his nose.

His brown hair was ruffled and kept falling over his eyes. He looked frustrated as he removed his hair from his face. Finally, he looked up at her and that's when she really stopped.

Damien.

There was silence as his gaze was still fixed on her. Kate didn't know what to say. The only thing in her head was how he had kissed her breathless. Literally. She unconsciously brought her finger to her lip and Damien's lips stretched in a smile.

Asshole.

"No smoking in the library!" The words came out of her with thought.

"Shit" he cursed and dropped the stick on the floor.

"Are you trying to start a fire?!" She yelled and moved to squash the stick with her foot.

"No" he answered simply. "What are you doing here? Stalking me, doll?" He smirked.

"I work here" she answered with an eye roll.

"You work here" he repeated.

She wanted to counter back but her eyes drifted to his face.

He was wearing glasses. Not his usual dark shades, but an oval-shaped, probably medicated glasses.

Damien was wearing glasses. And he looked good in them. He looked like a nerd but was still hot. A hot nerd. Kate scoffed. How did people get so blessed with good looks?

"Like what you see?"

"No" she frowned.

Maybe a little.

"How long have you been here? Aren't you supposed to be at the party?" She asked him.

It couldn't be possible that he was the one Rye was talking about. Rye said the boy had been upstairs for hours, and sure Damien looked like he was reading now but he couldn't have been doing that for such a long time. Kate had started her shift by 9 p.m, it was almost midnight and only two girls had walked into the library since she came.

Damien looked at his watch.

"Probably 5 hours. I got here about 7 p.m."

What!?

"And what have you been doing?"

His hair was all over the place like someone ran their hands through it so maybe he had been making out. Her eyes dropped to his lips and she immediately shifted her gaze.

Gosh, Kate!!

"Relax, doll" Damien smiled. "Only me has been running my hand through my hair."

How did he--?

Kate's phone rang, interrupting her thoughts. She glanced at the caller ID.

Alec.

Usually, she would be happy to FaceTime with Alec but not now when Blue was giving her looks.

It was either an external force or she was clumsy because Kate hit the answer button.

Alec's face appeared on the screen. She was brushing her teeth but immediately spat out on seeing Kate.

"Kate!" She yelled excitedly.

Kate tried not to look at Damien even though she could feel his eyes boring in her head.

"Alec" she answered her. "Uh, are you just preparing for bed?"

Alec nodded as she rinsed her mouth. She walked out of the bathroom and down the hall. She was at home.

"Yeah, we just got back."

Kate nodded. Her dad was going to be spending a lot of time at the hospital and Alec made sure she was with him most of the time. The perfect daughter.

"Are you alone?" Kate asked.

"No. Tyler's here. Super annoying by the way" Alec whispered.

"I can hear you!" Kate heard Tyler from a distance.

Alec giggled then got all serious again. "Kate, we just came back from the hospital, and da--"

"Alec!" Kate shouted.

She looked at Damien. He wasn't looking at her but she could tell he was listening. And she couldn't have him know about her dad. Who knows, tomorrow Brianna might print out her life history.

"What?" Alec looked around her.

Kate couldn't look away from Damien. What if he already got the memo?

"Kate?"

"Yeah" Kate tried to keep her gaze on her sister but she was failing miserably.

"Oh my gosh, Kate!"

Kate tilted her head in confusion. Why did she sound excited?

"Is there a hot guy there with you?"

She choked on saliva, "W-what?"

"You're red, Kate!" Alec squealed. "Oh my gosh, there is a hot guy with you? Did I call at the wrong time? Were you guys making out?"

Kate's eyes widened in shock. What the hell? Her phone was on speaker so it wasn't helping as Alec kept blabbing out. She saw a smirk creep up on Damien's face.

"And you're in a library— the hottest making out spot. You bad girl, Kate. My sister is so cool!" Alec yelled out.

"What did Kate do!?" Tyler's voice asked.

Alec brought her phone closer to her face and whispered. "Is it Parker?"

Kate bit her lip to stop her laughter as Damien's proud look fell. He looked... well, not so proud

"Noelle told me he's super hot"

"Alec, bed!" Tyler shouted.

"Fine, my phone's about to die anyway" she yelled back before turning to Kate. "Have fun with your hot boy." She winked. "Gosh, I've never seen you blush so hard before. By--"

The call suddenly got disconnected. Kate sighed in relief. Alec's phone probably died. She looked up and was surprised that Damien was already standing in front of her. His nerdy glasses were off and his blue orbs were piercing into hers.

"You didn't tell me you have a sister"

"Why would I?" She moved away from him to sit on the table. That seemed to be a bad idea because Damien placed his hands on the table, next to her sides, trapping her.

"You want to know why I'm not at the party, Katherine?"

She wondered that. Everyone was there so why wasn't he?

"I thought you'd be there"

She blinked.

"I didn't want to see you." He explained.

Ouch.

"Because I can't stop thinking about how you kissed me" he continued.

"You kissed me" she shot at him.

"And you let me"

She gulped.

"I- I- was drunk"

"Hm," Damien nodded.

Hm!?

She felt like slapping him and pushing him away but she couldn't move and he wasn't even holding her.

"So you didn't like the kiss?" He asked, not looking away from her eyes.

She bit her lips. Well...

"No" she answered.

"At all?"

"No"

"So you don't want me to kiss you right now?" His gaze shifted down.

She shivered when his hand pulled at her bottom lip, releasing them from the clutches of her teeth.

"You shouldn't be doing that to yourself, doll"

I should, she expected him to say but he only leaned into her.

Wait! Was he going to kiss her? She still hadn't gotten over the last kiss and now he was going to kiss her again? Right in the library—the one place Rye didn't like people making out. She was going to do something very insulting to the books around and she didn't seem to want to try and stop it.

Damien's lips hovered over hers and Kate found herself leaning in. His minty breath clouded her senses. Wasn't he smoking just a while ago? How was his breath still so fresh?

Their lips grazed one another and he smiled. Too soon, he pulled away. She opened her eyes—she didn't realize she was closing—and gazed into his dark orbs.

"I know you want me, Katherine" he twirled his finger around a lock of her hair before distancing himself completely.

Grabbing his bag, he began to walk away.

"Goodnight, doll"

***

Kate looked lost as she drove back to the apartment in Noelle's car. He did it again. He dared to do that thing again, where he would leave her breathless and just walk away. Only this time, he didn't even kiss her.

Maybe this was what Parker meant when he told her to be careful. Did that mean that all the time he was sweet and charming was a facade? And the Damien she met yesterday was the real Damien Carter? The biggest player the whole school talked about and she had only gotten to know about two months ago.

It was 5 a.m. and still dark so Kate tried to keep her attention on the road. But how could she when that guy had just... She groaned loudly.

Now she hated herself. She had just let him do with her as he pleased. That wasn't who she was. She wasn't going to let any guy toy with her ever again. It had happened more than once in the past but she wouldn't let it happen again.

No, never again.

-----------------------------------------------------------
My insides are literally turning into jelly with how hot Damien is, arghhh!!!!!
I want to know your thoughts on this... Kate falling for Damien? Yay, or Nay?... I go with nay (:

Your Shady writer.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6K 158 29
• 𝐈𝐍𝐒𝐏𝐈𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐁𝐘 𝐓𝐑𝐔𝐄 𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐒 • "What's your name?" I asked. "Damien," he said with his deep voice. I did not expect his voice to be...
7.1K 202 18
"Why are you staring at me like that?" I asked, confused. Did I have something on my face or what? Weirdo. "You..." He trailed off, without finishing...
3.5K 482 68
"You were worried about me, Specs?" He smirked. "No, Tyler. I hoped that someone cut up your corpse and fed it to paranas. Obviously I was, you idiot...
6.7K 1.3K 72
"I..." "Stop it!" he shouts, stopping me in mid sentence "I hate you." "B-But why? Why do you hate me?" "Oh! You know the reason." "If I would've...