A Court of Heart and Fealty |...

By Jelly_Legs

Galadriel was once a spy, deep in the Autumn Court but an act of loyalty to a friend cost her that position... More

Chapter 1: The Day's Come
Chapter 2: A Rose is but a Rose
Chapter 3: The Bounty
Chapter 4: The Exchange
Chapter 5: A Persuasive Tongue
Chapter 6: The Thief and Hewn City
Chapter 7: Snide Remarks
Chapter 8: A Shovel to Grovel
Chapter 9: Insufferable
Chapter 10: The Town house
Chapter 11: Like a Book
Chapter 12: Velaris
Chapter 13: House of Wind and Sky
Chapter 14: Distractions
Chapter 15: A Friendly Visit
Chapter 16: Lemon
Chapter 17: The Villa
Chapter 18: Midsummer
Chapter 19: The Garden Grave
Chapter 20: The Interrogation
Chapter 21: A Step Forward in the Right Direction
Chapter 22: Party in the Garden
Chapter 23: Errands and Favours
Chapter 24: Training Aches
Chapter 25: Silent Admissions
Chapter 26: A Tale
Chapter 27: A Muddled Mind
Chapter 28: Deviance
Chapter 29: Struck
Chapter 30: The Catalyst of Wings
Chapter 31: Her Place
Chapter 32: The Forest House
Chapter 33: Amoise
Chapter 34: The Ring
Chapter 35: Reaper
Chapter 36: Eruption
Chapter 37: The Cell
Chapter 38: Sombre Talks
Chapter 39: Acceptance
Chapter 40: Tomes
Chapter 41: A Surprise; A Gift
Chapter 42: Peppermint
Chapter 43: A Breath
Chapter 44: Bunny
Chapter 45: Snow
Chapter 46: A Gift to Remember
Chapter 47: Don't Let Go
Chapter 48: The Rings
Chapter 49: Labels Carry Weight
Chapter 50: Illyria
Chapter 51: Temper
Chapter 52: Seal
Chapter 53: Scarf
Chapter 54: Over the Edge
Chapter 55: A Plan; A Fool
Chapter 56: The Weaver
Chapter 57: The Wendigo
Chapter 58: The Mountain
Chapter 59: Love Binds and Betrays
Part 2: Chapter 60: Starfall
Chapter 61: The Fall
Chapter 62: Price to be Paid
Chapter 63: Boots
Chapter 64: Alive
Chapter 65: Siphon
Chapter 66: Honey Cakes
Chapter 67: Summer Thrills
Chapter 68: Fading Memories
Chapter 69: Pieces Fall into Place
Chapter 70: Amarantha
Chapter 71: What Is To Be
Chapter 72: Where Beron Became a Saviour
Chapter 73: A New Routine
Chapter 74: Three Things
Chapter 75: Please
Chapter 76: The Last of Him
Chapter 77: Eris
Chapter 78: Masques
Chapter 79: The Curse
Chapter 80: Executioner
Chapter 81: In Time Passing
Chapter 82: Bad Dreams
Chapter 83: Shattered
Chapter 85: Little Thief
Chapter 86: Dreams
Chapter 87: The Last Night
Chapter 88: A Wink in Time
Chapter 89: Royalty in the Shadows
Chapter 90: Atticus
Chapter 91: Tomorrow
Chapter 92: Someday
Chapter 93: The Game
Chapter 94: The Creature
Chapter 95: The Wish
Chapter 96: Tip Tap
Chapter 97: Pale Face
Chapter 98: Amarantha's Curse
Chapter 99: The Cure to Death
Untitled Part 101

Chapter 84: A Battle in a War

1.5K 118 25
By Jelly_Legs

Chapter 84: A Battle in a War

Galadriel didn't know how long she sat there, but her face had gone numb from crying and the bones in her fingers had already tried to begin healing, calling on magic that was no longer hers to use. She'd crawled some time ago to the side of her bed, too exhausted to climb into it, leaning her head against the side of the mattress. No one came to collect her for work.

All she felt was hunger. Growling, painful hunger. She hadn't eaten since last night's dinner.

Her hands lay limp in her lap, shattered fingers curled and twisted in a way that told her they'd never be perfectly straight ever again. Her eyes itched from the dried salt of her tears, but she had nothing other than her shoulder to rub them against and it caused too much pain to knock even that far up her arm.

She couldn't even react when the door to her bedroom opened. It clicked softly shut behind the intruder, the soft footfalls that followed agonisingly familiar. Galadriel did nothing as Rhysand knelt beside her, intently searching for her eyes with his own. He was breathing hard, as if he'd just run. "You shouldn't be in here," she croaked.

He let out a ragged sound and sunk down fully beside her, breaking her stare at the wardrobe. He looked down at her hands. The shattered remains of his work. "I threw up on her," he said, equally as quiet. "After you left."

Galadriel stared at him. She supposed he said that to make her feel better. To help her remember that he didn't want to do this to her. But she already knew that and it made no difference.

Rhys seemed to pick up on that too, bowing his head. "She would have known if I took away the pain—"

"Stop defending yourself," she uttered, closing her eyes. "Nobody has a choice here."

"You can barely look at me."

"Or you me. Why are you here?" Had they not just spent a morning of torture being disciplined not to be seen with each other? His hand ghosted the side of her head, barely a touch as if he couldn't bear anything more, but with it, tore the pain away. It left her with only the numbness.

"I promised you so much more than this."

Galadriel opened her eyes. She remembered those promises, remembered what it had been like before when he could make them. But she didn't care for them anymore. They were too far away to believe in. "We're surviving, Rhys. I'm surviving, just like you told me to." His brows bunched over his nose as he turned his head, resting his temple against the mattress as hers was. "She did this to hurt you too," she murmured. "We are both hurt." It was as much as she could gather to say that she knew it wasn't his fault.

His hand came reaching for hers, delicately, the night wrapping up around his wrist, she knew, as soft as silk. But she shifted herself away before his touch could graze her. Hurt flashed through his features, but she had to ignore it because her own was too strong. All she could think about was the echo of her bones snapping, how he had been the cause of her pain.

That was exactly what Amarantha wanted.

And she had won.

Only a battle, but the Queen Under the Mountain had come out victorious and Galadriel didn't know when she would be able to fight another. How long she could keep fighting a war?

She turned her face into the mattress. "Please just go." Leave her to lick her wounds in peace.

There was nothing from Rhys for a moment, then, "I love you. More than my crown, more than my court, more than myself." She thought that was meant to be some arrogant jest, intended to draw her out more but when she peaked from her lashes, his face was solemn and she understood. He valued her life over his.

"I love you too," she mouthed and closed her eyes again. She faintly felt the ghost of his lips against her cheek, then he was gone, just as she had asked.

~

It felt like no time had passed when her bedroom door clicked open again. Her first instinct, perhaps her first hope, was Rhys.

But the footfalls had a slightly uneven pattern and were too heavy. She felt this slight pressure that had been against her outer temple ever since Rhys had touched there disappear as a hazel eye framed with chestnut hair appeared in front of her. They were curious at first, then worried, then horrified.

Atticus stared at her hands, his face pale. "She did this." Galadriel nodded. He seemed to want to ask a thousand questions, his lips moving but no words quite making it out until he dared reach for her wrist. She did nothing to stop him, the pain still gone. "How long have you been sitting here?"

Galadriel looked around before remembering that she didn't have a clock. "I don't know."

"These need to be tended to."

"I can't use magic to heal them."

He glared passionately at her. "Good thing there are other methods and that I am well versed in them." She didn't want to know why. She rolled her back against the bedframe as he set about, disappearing for a few moments and returning with a handful of medical supplies. "You won't be able to work for a few weeks," he told her, sitting right in front of her, bent forward as he inspected the severity of her wobbly fingers.

"What am I supposed to do then?" she asked.

He glanced at her. "There are things to do beyond work. Maybe you've forgotten that. I'm sure you could find some poor faerie to torment or maybe a chamber full of skulls yet to be explored."

"Is that what you do in your spare time?" she inquired dryly. It didn't pass on her that he was talking for the sake of distracting her as he wrapped her first few fingers against a splint, not realising that she couldn't feel anything at all. "Don't you have...friends?"

He smiled at her hand before looking at her. "Don't you?"

Caught her there. "I speak more to my dusting feather than I do anybody else here." Friendships were not worth the pain of betraying them. Lying to protect them. Watching them die. "Other than you, I suppose."

He continued working gently, winding a white bandage up to her wrist on her right hand before beginning on her left. "I don't talk with many people. Nothing beyond my line of work." Ten years they'd known each other, but still, she felt like she barely knew him. She could if she wanted to. But she didn't want to. Didn't want to use anything against him.

With his ever-curious mind, Atticus picked out countless details of her life that she never shared verbally. Nothing that could hurt her here, but sometimes she'd catch a flicker of sadness, sometimes abrupt surprise. He never said anything about those looks—what he might have gleaned to cause them.

"Yet you've managed to learn enough that Amarantha keeps you around," he mused, pulling her fingers straight as he tightened the bandage. Still, she felt nothing, watching as the mangled length of flesh and bone shifted unnaturally. With most of her power drained, it would take weeks he said to heal. Mortal healing—how pathetic.

"I'm going to kill her one day." Galadriel hadn't realised she said those cursed words aloud until Atticus slammed his palm over her mouth, his eyes dark in warning.

He breathed heavily, glaring at her. Not because he didn't think the same, but because "—You can't say that shit. Not to me, not even to the shadows." Shadows did in fact speak, but she wondered if they shared the same understanding. He looked strained as he went back to tying the bandage. "If she coerces me..." His lips thinned. "I told you—she has something on me. You hear the talk of servants, I hear the talk of the small lords and ladies. We both serve her." Galadriel stared at him. She'd caught on years ago what his job as a whore entailed, stealing secrets from mouths distracted with pleasure. It made her physically sick but when she hinted towards pitying him, Atticus shut her right up. "What happened?"

Galadriel glanced down at her now fully wrapped hands. Completely covered in white fabric and the pain beginning to return. Rhysand must be distracted or far away. Should she tell Atticus the truth? "I was caught with someone I shouldn't have been."

"Intimately?" he asked bluntly.

"No," she admittedly quietly. "Just...with them. Maybe it was seen as intimate. I don't know."

He sat back on his heels and sighed, licking his lips. There was a sort of recognition in his eyes that told her he knew who she was hinting at. It hadn't been secret that Rhysand preferred her company when they first came to the Mountain but that had been years ago and supposedly she'd been discarded like a soiled rag. "I won't say anything."

"I thought you couldn't promise that," she countered.

He gave her a choppy smile. "I won't gossip," he corrected. It almost got a laugh out of her, but all she managed was a weak smile. "It would have been nice to know you... Outside of all this. Who you were before."

Her spine turned a little rigid. "I'm the same person."

He smiled, sadly. "I hope not."

Those words struck her as hard as an iron fist, right into her gut where it had the most impact. No, she certainly wasn't, but she tried every day to remain the person she once was. Told herself that she was, as if she could pretend the heavy darkness lingering in her mind wasn't growing bigger every damn day.

Atticus wiped his hands on his pants. "I'm going to bring you something to eat." He sniffed at her. "I can practically smell your hunger."

That didn't seem like an entirely horrid idea, so she didn't argue when he stood and left, taking all the medical supplies along with him. But once she was alone again in her room, the pain intensified. Not in her hands, but in her chest.

She winced and squirmed, eyes sealed tightly shut. Rhys had opened the mating bond—just a fraction but enough that it flooded her with agony. Punishment, she realised, for betraying the instincts of the bond, to never physically harm your mate. This is what he felt, and it had probably been worse through the act itself. How hard had he fought to not lash out at Amarantha? She could imagine the fury, burning hotter than molten gold in his blood, his muscles wanting to tear away from his bones. The beast inside of him rearing to break free.

Galadriel gasped, barely able to conjure a thought to wonder why the seal Rhysand held around the bond had suddenly broken as she crawled her way across the room. She didn't know where she was going, but eventually felt the cool tile of the bathroom beneath her palms, her teeth gritted together. Her ribs felt like they were being winched apart, cracking and splintering.

She laid her forehead on the cool tiles, letting it fight against the horrendous burning that had erupted inside of her, panting with the occasional groan. She didn't hear Atticus return but felt his hands on her shoulders, turning her around, his hazel eyes muddy smears in her muddled vision. She sobbed as he pulled her to his chest, probably crying out her mate's name, but she didn't care what he heard. Rhysand was hurting and there was nothing she could do about it. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

39.7K 654 62
Azriel had thought his mate was dead for centuries. But when the Spymaster of the Night Court learns that there's a chance that his mate, and his Hig...
48.3K 1.3K 16
*******SPOILERS****** Takes place after ACOWAR The war with Hybern has ended and the world of Prythian has finally calmed and found peace. The Night...
54K 1.9K 25
AZRIEL × OC The city of Velaris has been breached twice - once by Hybern, and after that by someone nobody knows about. The magical shield protecti...
100K 3.4K 49
The magic of Prythian is fading, and with it everything that Zaria loves. As daughter of Tamlin, High Lord of the Spring Court, her father's reputati...