Ignite | ✔

De AshleighReeds

"You're in my territory now, princess, and you'll abide by my rules. Is that clear?" he whispered in my ear a... Mai multe

Foreword
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59

20

6.1K 172 14
De AshleighReeds

20 - Too Close To The Fire

HADEN

As I watched Zara leave the room, my last words hanging in the air, the sexual tension crackling like fireworks, I was left in a state of turmoil. Confusion, anger, and desire swirled within me, all ignited by the unexpected kiss we had shared.

There was no stopping the bond now. She was mine and mine alone, and I couldn't hold myself back anymore. An Alpha needed his mate, naturally, but I needed her more.

When I came back from the forest and didn't find her, I thought I was going to lose my mind. This woman, this rogue, had me by the balls and she didn't even know it.

Let go of the fact that she's rogue, my wolf complained.

Yeah, I would, I thought as I ran a hand down my face. I think I would have to. This connection between us was far more important than the current status she had. If everything goes well, she would be the Luna of this pack and she would wear my mark with pride.

Or with reluctance, I thought with a smirk as the image of the fiery woman invaded my mind. She was stubborn, hard-headed, and argumentative but she was mine.

Glancing at the clock, I saw it was twenty-two minutes past one and I tried to clear my head as I sat behind the desk by the window. Eyeing the maps below, I frowned at the sight of the packs that had been wiped out by the madman calling himself the Rogue King.

He managed to wipe out five packs now, all in the Northern territories, and I couldn't help but think of the traditions and cultures that would be wiped away with it. He wiped out all but two and the logic of Conner seemed more plausible. There had to be a reason, I thought looking down at the territory called Saros Shadows, why they weren't trampled over as well.

I tried to focus on the task at hand, sorting through the maps and research Conner had left behind from Abigale, but the night dragged on and my thoughts kept circling back to that kiss. Would she accept the bond? If I felt this way about it, did she as well? On the date, there seemed to have been walls crumbling, or at least cracking, before we got interrupted by the rogues. Would she be willing to make this work if I was? The answers eluded me, and I found myself pushing the papers aside and walking over to the couch, my thoughts stringing me along as I slipped into a comfortable position. It would be tomorrow's problem, I decided with a yawn escaping my lips then replaced with a small smile, but I was positive that this would work.

Hours later, I woke up with a start, disoriented and bleary-eyed. Stumbling out of my office, I made my way to the living room, still groggy.

"Good morning Alpha," the women in the kitchen greeted pleasantly as I walked by and I nodded with a warm smile on my face.

"Good morning ladies, smells good," I added, going to the fridge for a bottle of orange juice and making my way towards the living room and settling on the couch. The morning sun streamed through the curtains and I was about to pick up the TV remote when I heard tumbling at the front door followed by a curse. My brows furrowed, glancing at the time, knowing not many would be up at this hour on a Saturday. As I set my orange juice on the coffee table and stood, a small wave of shock ran through me as I noticed Natalia coming up the three steps to the living room, a huge relieved smile on her face. Her scent hit me as she walked through the door, but I was too dazed to react immediately.

Oh shit.

"Haden!" she squealed and ran towards me, embracing me in a hug. I was too stunned to hug her back, my thoughts racing to the woman upstairs in my bed. With everything going on, I completely forgot she was coming today.

"Natalia," I mumbled, blinking away the remnants of sleep. Her presence was a blur to me as I tried to shake off the moment of confusion.

She looked at me with a mix of happiness, concern, and curiosity. "Oh, it's so good to be back! You know how my family gets, but this was so... Haden, what's that strange scent? It's... different. Have there been new pack members? Never mind, I'll see everything later on. I missed you,"

Before I could respond, Natalia decided to take matters into her own hands. In a sudden and surprising move, she tackled me onto the couch with a smirk on her lips and kissed me passionately. My head spun with confusion, and the world around me ceased to exist for a moment.

I didn't have time to process it. The minute my hand went to her waist, in an effort to get her off me, she grinded on top of me and moaned. I pulled away, fully aware of the burning sensation in the pit of my stomach, recognizing it as guilt.

"Nat, wait there's..." I started, pulling away from her, pushing her off me carefully and easing myself up, fully prepared to have this discussion now. She needed to know about Zara and what we had.

But it was too late.

I froze at the sight of Zara in the threshold, staring at us with frost in her eyes. She looked between us expressionless before her eyes found my own and I held the shiver that came from looking in her eyes.

"Zara, wait," I started but she was already gone.

Fuck.

I didn't hesitate. I ran after her, rushing up the stairs, missing her by a second when she slammed my bedroom door in my face.

"Zara, that wasn't what it looked like," I exclaimed, groaning when I didn't get a reply. "Zara, please, can we talk about this?" I pleaded, and again once I got no response, I leaned my forehead against the door in defeat.

Fuck.

ZARA

The morning sun streamed in through the bedroom window, casting a warm glow over the room. I stretched widely, feeling a newfound energy charge within me. A feeling of happiness. I knew things with Haden were on rocky ground, but the kiss last night meant something. It had left me in a whirlwind of emotions, and I couldn't just let it be.

I knew we had to talk about it and I knew it had to be sooner rather than later. The kiss made everything better, but it also made everything worse. I couldn't leave now - that much was clear - but I also couldn't be led in the dark either.

Haden had been so confusing. One minute he thought I was a ruthless rogue who was set on ruining his plans and the next he wanted me to be his mate. He'd vehemently denied the bond between us, yet last night, his lips had met mine with a hunger I couldn't ignore. What did it mean? Did he want me, or was it all just a game?

I needed answers and I needed them now. I wasn't one to back down from a challenge, especially when it came to someone like Haden. He would most likely be in his office, I thought to myself as I rose and headed for the bathroom. I washed the slumber off my face and ran a hand through my hair before tossing on the outfit I had gotten from Abigale and walking out the door.

The house was quiet, too early for everyone to be awake. The hallway to his office was barely lit and my brows furrowed in confusion at the empty room. Where the hell would he be this early? Doesn't that man sleep?

I walked towards the front door with the impression of going to look outside when I heard voices coming from the living room. I walked up the steps, then froze in my tracks at the sight before me. My breath caught in my throat and time slowed down drastically, the sore sight of my mate locking lips with another woman was definitely not on my list of things to see this morning.

So Natalia was back, I thought bitterly as I watched Haden grab her waist. The scene unravelled before my eyes like a cruel twist of fate, and I couldn't tear my gaze away. It was as if my feet found roots in the ground, unable to stray away.

The reality of the situation struck me like a physical blow. Haden's actions with Natalia had stolen the breath from my lungs. It was a stark reminder of where I stood in his life, a painful confirmation that I was nothing more than a rogue to him.

What the hell was I thinking?

As I stood there, trying to get a grip on my emotions, I watched as Haden suddenly broke away from Natalia and shook his head as he pushed himself up.

"Nat, wait there's..." he started then he trailed off when his eyes connected with mine.

If I was being honest, I'm glad he saw me - glad that he saw what he did to me and how he ruined whatever chance there was between us. I stared at him coldly, shifting my gaze between them both and mentally withdrawing myself from the situation. If he wanted her, he could have her.

There was a raw intensity in his eyes, as if he'd been torn between two worlds. He rushed towards me, his hand outstretched, as if he could mend the damage he'd just done.

"Zara, wait," he started but I didn't give him the time of day. I rushed up the stairs and slammed the bedroom door behind me.

I told myself I wasn't jealous. In fact, I knew I wasn't. What bubbled inside me was anger and disappointment. I was angry with myself for even considering Haden, disappointed in how he could just throw it all away after the date that we had - after the kiss we had.

I took steps back away from the door and curled my fingers into fists as I heard him cry and plead from the other side of the door. I couldn't believe that he would do something like that. What if I hadn't walked in? How far would they have gone? I snarled at the image that found its way into my head and threw the lamp by the nightstand.

He played me for the last time, and if he thought I was going to be some second-rate blonde in his life he was dead wrong.

-----

Natalia's back and Zara definitely didn't miss her.

What do you think Haden will do to win back Zara's trust? What will Natalia think when she finds out that Zara and Haden are mates?

Stay tuned ;)

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

3M 106K 46
"You were made for me. And I, for you." His breath is right beside my ear and I tightly shut my eyes closed. He leans down closer. "I was made to lo...
7.1K 658 22
NOTE: This is completed but unedited. It will be going through major changes soon including with plot and character changes. Once it is all changed...
Set Free De Devi

Vârcolaci

1.1M 37.4K 67
"So here I lay here in the cold, mentally shattered, physically broken, bleeding out and waiting for the sweet silence and darkness of death to come...
6.5K 263 32
Second Chance Mates: Nova & Braxton's Story Being a werewolf is supposed to be exciting. The excitement of your first shift and finding your mate...