One Last Dream

By HidingOverHere

The year is 2212. Humankind brushed their fingertips upon divinity. Capable of being programmed to remove can... More

Author's Note
00. So Close
0. The Chosen and The Damned
1. Those Left Behind
2. Tomorrow
3. Friends
4. A Home Way Up High
5. Uninvited Guests
6. The 52nd Floor
7. People
8. On Top of the World
9. The Storm
10. The Eye
11. A Thread Descends
12. A Disorienting Death Down in the Depths
13. Drip Drop
14. The Beast
15. The First Strike
16. The Stories We Tell
17. Politics
18. Departure
19. Promotion
21. The Collector
22. The Artist
23. Robotics
24. Web Design

20. Tipping of the Scales

3 2 0
By HidingOverHere

"So, wot do you do anyways?" Kyle asked Grace as they headed toward the robotics bay. "You some kinda secretary or something?"

"Oh nah, I'm in charge of making people do things they don't want to do," Grace said with a laugh. "I guess you could say at this stage I'm sort of an impromptu copper. That's Police Chief to you."

"Now that I think about it, we haven't really got cops at the moment do we?" Kyle said.

"Eh, we've only a small group so far. Everyone's too busy off doing real work," Grace said sardonically. "But we do have few volunteers to keep an eye on things, keep track of thieves and such. We've also got a room to lock people up in."

"I s'ppose the gov'ness is looking to expand soon. Judging by the state o' things," Kyle remarked.

"Oh I don't doubt that," Grace replied. "Problem is, who is she goin' to recruit from?"

"I mean your volunteers seem to be doing a decent enough job," Kyle said.

"Yeah but they're all laborers. Push comes to shove, Laborers start somethin' up, you think they'll be the ones to reign them in?"

"So what are you gonna do then?" Kyle said. They were nearing the robotics bay at this point. A four legged automaton strode past, towering above its remote operator who was riding a transport vehicle slightly ahead of it.

"Way I sees it. We got two options," Grace said, holding up two fingers. "One, we make another specialist class: Policemen or Enforcers." She ducked as another automaton walked by, wobbling a bit as it went. She continued, "We recruit them from the upper class as they'd be the most willing. We've got a few crates of 'peace-keeping' equipment. We can use those to keep unruly folk from havin' a go."

"That sounds like a shit deal for labor folks," Kyle said. "What's your next idea?"

"Well, the other option is to appeal to a higher power," Grace gave him a furrow-browed look to see if he knew what she was getting at.

"Oh you don't mean..."

"Yup, we lean into religion," she raised her hands and shrugged.

"You're talking about that cult aren't you?" Kyle looked at her incredulously. Thinking back to it, that was why when they had first shown up at his hospital room the governess had been with them.

"If you got any other ideas, we're all ears," Grace said. "Well, we're here."

They turned the corner and Kyle was met with a rather astonishing view. At the center was an enormous hangar that housed all the automatons. Large spider-like machines hung from pulleys while small figures swarmed about sparks afly. The wobbling automaton that strode by earlier on long spindly legs settled itself onto an energy-hub and powered down to charge while men approached from the sides to inspect it.

"I'll hand you off right here," Grace said motioning toward a figure approaching them from beyond a metal fence that sealed off the area. "Good luck, mate." She gave him a rough double pat on the shoulder before moving to hail a transport.

"Right..." He said distractedly. Kyle had recognized the blonde man approaching on the other side of the fence.

His suspicions were correct. "Oliver, what are you doing here?"

"Wot a coincidence, mate. I just got assigned to Robotics too," the man said with a cheeky grin.

"Coincidence my arse," Kyle's mood instantly darkened, "And I ain't your mate."

"Be that as it may, looks like you're stuck with me. Let's 'ave a look then," He motioned to the man keeping the gate who nodded and waved Kyle through.

Kyle sighed. He had had an inkling at first. His two assigned roommates had appeared a bit too interested in being chums with him. He brushed it off at first due to his new celebrity status, but there always seemed to be at least one of them with him at all times —which had felt very odd to him. But it was very obvious now. They were meant to keep an eye on him. Whether to keep him safe or restrict his actions... or even both, he didn't know. Who put them up to it? The governess? The cult?

He didn't like this one bit.

He stepped through the checkpoint and then, after a quick pat down, followed Oliver to meet their new manager.

***

Captain Zhen Huang of the northeastern excavation tunnel was a polarizing man. At six feet tall he made for a rather imposing figure made even more so by his forceful way of speaking. He was quick to insults and anger but was just as quick to apologize and recognize fault. By now most of those working under him knew how to deal with him. But the main reason he was Captain was that he knew the ins and outs of each of those working under him. Love him or hate him, he understood people and how they worked.

"Mr. Liang!" Inspector Chen heard the captain bark as they stepped off a transport car into one of the drill mech hubs. "That Unit 019... Why hasn't it been sent for repairs? I thought I told Chan to do it yesterday?"

"Oh? I thought we did send it out," the manager peered down at his tablet. "It says here it's already gone and come back. It was just a minor motor failure in one of the arms."

"Oh is it now?" the captain let out a guffaw, "Those guys sure do work fast don't they? Good thing you've got everything all organized. Would've been pretty awkward if we had sent it out again wouldn't it. BAHAHAHAH!" he let out another hearty laugh. "Let me tell ya, Inspector, Mr. Liang here's damn good. Anything comes up, I fully recommend this guy for a promotion."

"Come now, sir, I'm just doing my job," Mr. Liang said, holding his arms behind his back formally.

"Lookit this guy! That's what I'm talkin' about!" Captain Huang said, clapping the guy roughly on his shoulder almost knocking him over. "Alright what've we got? What's been going on in these tunnels? I saw that that iron node's been going strong, shipments have been up 10% since last month!"

Inspector Chen was in the process of evaluating the tunnels as preparation for their new plans to try to outrun the Rust. The main entrances for the tunnels were located on floor 48 but due to the nature of the projects, they could extend outwards and end up far below that of floor 50. There were three major tunnels: the northwest, southern and eastern tunnels. Each of these branched out into further smaller tunnels which had a manager in charge of each. Her main goal these next few weeks was to see how much resources they would be able to extract and which tunnels had the potential to form a longer term living area.

The knowledge of the Rust spreading in was still top secret, known only to the nobles and a few key figures. Not even the Captains in charge of the different departments knew the truth –including the interim Enforcement Chief.

As they rode through one of the five main tunnels of the northwest mining operation on the transport rails, the manager rattled off numbers: tons of iron, copper, even water being extracted. Alongside this was a rough number of workers they had available, number of accidents, casualties, recruitment, and training efforts. Wrapping this up was the equipment. The individual driller mechs were one thing, but for the deepest darkest operations they utilized the massive Crust Churners. Each of these was easily twice the size of a four bedroom suburban house.

These massive behemoths were the same ones that they had used to dig the foundations of the underground bunker they resided in currently. They had ten in total, each requiring constant maintenance due to the massive amount of work they put out.

"Well, this is the end of this branch." Mr. Liang said as they reached the end of the railways. It was a bit darker here and felt less developed. There was a thin trail of lamps heading further down into the darkness. "If you wanna go further, I can take you, but we're going to need to switch to a tunnel car..."

Suddenly a loud roar echoed down the tunnel drowning out his voice. It was as if the gods themselves were raking their fingernails across the surface of the earth. Inspector Chen could feel the ground vibrating under her feet.

Mr. Liang motioned them over to the small waystation office.

"Sorry about the drill," the man said as they stepped into the room. The screaming of the machine was still there but at least they could hear each other speak here. "They've been running more shifts recently due to orders from above." He looked at the Inspector. "But I'm sure you know all about that."

Inspector Chen knew the man was probing for answers. "A few of the nobles are pushing for more rapid expansion. Better to have more materials than less, same with space. If population grows, we're going to need more food."

"I'm just wondering, a few workers are becoming a bit disgruntled at the sudden increase in work is all." The manager said. He was still staring at her.

The Inspector found his gaze to be a bit odd. She reached out to feel his intent: there was a curiosity —intent to probe for information— but also a hint of malice —intent to harm...

But then suddenly it all vanished. It was as if...

"Disgruntled?" Captain Huang barked at the man. "What's there to be disgruntled about? We could be the last colony on earth! This is about survival here!"

The man looked at him and bowed his head, "I understand sir, it's just the longer, more dangerous work hours for seemingly no apparent reason are making them understandably... confused."

"Pah!" the Captain said. "I've worked 12 hours a day six days a week since I started my position. We're lucky to even be down here and not..." he waved his hands above his head, "...up there... growing assholes out of our faces or something!"

Inspector Chen looked at the manager carefully, "Have you seen anyone acting particularly strange? Forming unsavory groups or looking to sabotage equipment or anything?"

"Oh no." the man said with the same mild mannered expression. "They're a bit frustrated but nothing so serious yet."

"Well we'd better keep an extra eye out." the Captain growled. "We're working together to build a future for ourselves and our children. We can't have some entitled no-gooders destroying everything we've worked so hard to build."

"Either way," the Inspector said. "We can issue compensation: extra food, more electric power allotments, more water rations... I'll talk it over with the higher ups and see what we can do."

The man bowed his head again, "I appreciate the help, Inspector." Then, he motioned toward some radio noise cancellers mounted on the walls. "Did you want to go check out the Crust Churner or...?"

"I think we're ok for now." said the Inspector, turning to the Captain. "I think we should get a move on to the rest of the branches."

"Ah right, of course." Captain Huang said, checking his watch, "I've already sent word to the other managers we'd be coming in some time today. Can't keep them stewing for too long." He guffawed and clapped Manager Liang on the shoulder again. "Good work though, good work! We keep pulling together like this and we'll be alright."

"Well then, shall we?" Mr. Liang gestured back to the trolley they had arrived here in. The sounds of drilling had died down temporarily and so, with a nod, they took this chance to make their exit.

***

Yahuei arrived home at 21:14, opened a pack of instant protein rations and began typing up her report summary. She ate quickly, as she usually did, without tasting. Not that there was much to taste. She preferred these bland meals as a matter of convenience. Bland foods were more tolerable when eaten for long periods of time than repeating the same flavorful foods.

Her typing was quick and consistent, matching the organized stream of thoughts flowing from her consciousness down through her fingertips. Things were moving along at a reasonable pace. The pieces were all there. It seemed like the northwest mines were their best choice to continue expanding. There was a water reservoir close plus it was full of useful metals to be mined.

Still, there were a lot of uncertain factors. They would need to start transitioning more people into the mines which meant more trainees, more mistakes, and ... more deaths.

This was unavoidable.

Casualties meant more friction. They needed to maintain complete control, and she would start with the usual- more benefits and incentives. But if push comes to shove they would need to clamp down with an iron hand. Enforcement was going to need a new Chief.

She worked straight for another hour and a half before showering and then finally to bed. Yahuei tried to maintain a consistent bedtime at around 23:00. Not just for rest, but also to gain information through what she was now calling the Dreamweb. Her dreams, as far as she knew, were the only source of information on the world above, as all the equipment they previously had had been reduced to nonfunctional fleshy parts. As of now, she knew of at least eight or so other Gifted connected by the Little Dreamer.

Right now the situation with Becca, the kineti-sense user, was the most valuable as her settlement was the only ones with a clear view of the changing world. The man Eric, was a very curious case. Yahuei surmised that perhaps his gift involved a subconscious defense mechanism that caused him to act in incomprehensible ways. He was almost like a puppet on a string at times. Either way, their information was unlikely to last. As the Rust began taking over the oceans, they would most likely be consumed as well.

Kyle, the man in Antarctica provided an interesting look into a struggling settlement much like her own. Though, unfortunately, they appeared to be much more disorganized. They had simply plopped down in Antarctica with a bunch of people without much of a plan on how to govern themselves. The religion forming there was an interesting boon, Yahuei felt, and she pondered if there was a way to create such a thing here as well. There was also that boy, David, who could hide his presence on the web yet also had the ability to predict the weather... though the latter could be attributed to something other than the Gift. Along with those two there was a third individual, a woman with the ability to enhance her vision, but she was a recent addition to the web and Yahuei had not gotten to know her as much.

There were others of course, scattered across the world. A young man and his small group of friends in a lighthouse off a coast somewhere. There was another man near the north pole, but he appeared to have frozen to death a few days ago. More gifted were slowly being connected, but at the same time, many were being lost to the plague. Some dreams were just full of pain and pulsing, without any rhyme or reason. Yahuei tried to avoid those if she could; she had developed a way to wake herself up when she encountered them, but they were becoming more numerous.

Let's see what we get tonight, she thought to herself. Then, she closed her eyes.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17 7 12
[Complete] Stealing stuff is supposed to be simple. But when I decide to rescue a ComfortUnit from a company that I faked my own death to escape, and...
111 0 38
a middle-aged girl named Asher has been in an apocalypse her entire life. this apocalypse was somehow 1000 years old. people had been able to survive...
149 4 23
In a futuristic world, the residents have no say. From birth, they are monitored and chosen for the jobs within society. Some have more potential tha...
Remote By Lisa Acerbo

Science Fiction

192 47 43
When technology fulfills every dream, reality is a nightmare. But where can one rebel hide when even her thoughts might not be her own? Below the str...