His Mystery Gem

By FayoKola

After an unfortunate encounter or two, his workplace is the last place Michael Collins expects to see his mys... More

Copyright©️
Blurb📝
About the author, Me!👩🏾‍🦱
Bible Verse📖
Dedication😘
Author's Note✍️
1 - Attraction at First Sight?🤪
2 - Payments & Wrath😠
3 - Lounging😌
4 - Art's Heart🖼️
5 - Friends?👯‍♀️👩‍❤️‍👩
6 - Rum and Regrets🥃
7 - Sabbath Shopping🛍️
8 - Under Scrutiny🔍
9 - Phase 2🫣
10 - An Exquisite Day🍝
11 - Out & About💃🏾
12 - Beach Babes 🏖️
13 - Rainbow Themed Sleepover 🌈
14 - Third Time Charmed 😱
15 - Mystery Solved🫢
16 - Castle De La Collins🏘️
17 - Family Dinner🥘

18 - New Collection 💍

6 0 0
By FayoKola

18 - New Collection💍

Monday met Dunni well rested. She had spent the rest of her weekend in church and with the girls, they had their regular Sunday brunch at home munching on delicious pasta while Dunni gave them the breakdown of everything that happened at the Collins Mansion.

She walked into her office with a big smile on her face, she hadn't gotten over this office yet. Knowing that Eni, Mike's best friend and almost wife, had been the one to design it made the room more special to her. The fact that Eni was also an interior designer who wanted to commission a few paintings was mind boggling.

Dunni dropped into her seat, overwhelmed by how good God is, by how quickly he answered her prayers. Just last month, she had been too broke to send her sisters pocket money, now she had two jobs. Well she will have two jobs, as soon as she and Eni reached an agreement concerning the paintings.

Dinner at the Collins had opened her eyes to some many things. Like the fact that Mike Collins still wanted her gone. Now more than ever. She couldn't explain how she knew, maybe it was the look in his his. Because he had been nice. Even kind. Smiling at her across the table, teasing her while they played Monopoly. Pouting and acting like a big baby when Lola had given her the basket.

But she had known, like she knew that her name was Adunniade, that he still wanted her gone.

She placed her bag on the table and said a quick prayer, committing the day and the rest of the week into God's hands.

As soon as she said Amen, her office phone rang. She looked at the phone, wondering who could be calling her so early on a Monday morning. She picked up the phone and lifted it to her ear.

"Miss Davies, my office. Now!" Mike growled in her ear and then he was gone.

"Rude," She said replacing the phone in its cradle and taking her sweet time. She would not rush to him with her tail between her legs, like a scared pup. Oh, she was scared but she wasn't going to give him the satisfaction.

She looked around her office one more time, saying a silent godbye. In case he actually has grounds to fire her. Then she slowly walked the fifteen short steps, that seperated her office from his. Just fifteen steps stood between her and her job, less if she moved faster instead of measuring the distance with her feet.

She stopped in front his office, took a deep breath and said a short prayer before she knocked on his door.

"Come in," he called out.

She pushed his door open and walked into the lion's den praying God would shut its mouth.

"Sit down,"

"I would rather stand,"

"Then you might as well send in your resignation," he smirked.

She just looked at him speechless. Because she refused to sit? She sat down quickly. And relaxed in the comfortable chair, wondering why she had not just sat down when he told her to.

"You need to remember that you are under probation, Miss Davies." His smirk was plastered on his face. "A lot of things can be grounds for termination."

"Yes sir," she mumbled humbly.

"I'm glad we are on the same page," he have her a-glad-I-got-my-way smile.

She just nodded, she knew he couldn't just fire her for refusing to sit when asked. But he could spin it into something more sinister if he wanted. He knew, she knew. So shewas under his beck and call and she couldn't get mouthy.

"I want you to create a new collection by the end of this week," he said tossing some files in her direction.

Dunni nodded again, before his words registered. Then she just stared at him like he had grown two extra heads.

When he had called her to his office, she knew he was going to tell her to do something outrageous like not speak unless spoken to. Or not visit his house even if Mo insisted. But this! This was harder. He couldn't be serious!

"But sir—" she started finally finding her voice.

"I didn't hire you to give me excuses. The only reason you still work here is because you said you could impress me remember?"

"I remember sir," She said softly. "But I never said I could perform miracles sir,"

"And creating a new collection by the end of the week is a miracle?" He asked as if he didn't know all the work that went into a collection.

Dunni just stared at him, at his annoyingly handsome face.

"Don't you serve a miracle working God?" He sneered.

"I do," she nodded again like an agama lizard. "But-"

"If you can't do it then I want you to send in you resignation letter instead," he turned his attention back to his work.

"Sir please, I-"

"Miss Davies, I gave you two options. A collection before Friday or your resignation letter. Isn't that generous of me?" He still didn't look up from his important papers.

"Very generous sir," Dunni whispered and glared at his bent head.

"You said?" He frowned.

"I said, Thank you sir." She gave him her best I want to strangle you but I won't smile.

"Oh you are very welcome Miss Davies," his irritating smirk was back. Dunni had seen it so much that she wanted to slap it off his face. She pulled her hands into fist trying to contain the anger bubbling inside her.

"You may leave now, Miss Davies."

"Yes sir," she stood up. "Thank you for giving me the opportunity to impress you sir," she nearly choked on the words but she was going to kill him with kindness. Die, she thought as she smiled.

Then she turned and walked out of the office. She might have gotten the last word but she was the one saddled with all the work. While he signed papers in his office or whatever CEO's did.

Fifteen short steps later, she was back in her office. No time to enjoy her beautiful office, she had work to do. She pulled the files she had been looking through and started again from the beginning. Going as far back as Mo's first collaboration with Collins.

She wanted to create something fresh, something that was hers. Not a copycat of Mo's. To do that she had to know what Mo had done before. So when the designs started coming she could be sure they were hers.

She was a visual learner so she complied all the pictures of each collection, photocopied and scanned them to her device. So she always had it on hand.

She was going through each collection one by one in detail when someone knocked on her door. "Come in," she called out loudly.

Her door opened and Matilda smiled at her. "Good morning ma,"

"Morning Matilda," Dunni smiled back. "Is everything okay?"

"We have a meeting right now," Matilda looked her her desk and frowned. "But you look busy,"

Dunni laughed. "I am busy, but my work won't finish anytime soon. So a break sounds great."

Matilda nodded. "Why wasn't I informed of the meeting before now?"

"Hmm," Matilda looked away. "I sent a memo out last week,"

Dunni nodded. "I must have missed it,"

"Yeah," Matilda nodded. "I should have reminded you first thing this morning. I'm sorry ma."

Dunni smiled. "It's okay Matilda."

"Let's go," Dunni grabbed her jacket and shrugged it on.

She followed Matilda to the boardroom where Mo had introduced her to the team. Everyone was seated exactly where they sat during that meeting. It was almost like deja vu, except their outfits were different. Luckily she still remembered all 6 names. She smiled at everyone, trying to make eye contact with each person.

She took her seat at the head of the table, Lara was seated directly opposite her. Matilda opened the meeting and read the minutes of the last meeting.

Then questions were asked, opinions were aired. Dunni mostly watched and listened. By the end of the meeting, Dunni had learnt something about everyone present.

"Do you have anything you want to add ma?" Matilda asked Dunni with a shy smile.

"Yes, thanks for asking Matilda." Dunni smiled at her. Then turned to address the room.

"Good morning everyone," she smiled. "It's nice to see everyone once again."

"Before I start my speech I want everyone to tell me their area of specialization. Starting with you Matilda."

Dunni pulled out her notepad ready to take notes. They went round and everyone said the one or two areas they specialized in.

"That's great." Dunni nodded and gave a quick recap. "Now I know who to trust with what job. Thank you all for coming to the meeting. Before we leave I have an assignment for everyone." Dunni took a dramatic pause for effect.

"As you all know, we need a new collection." Dunni looked around the room, making eye contact with each person. Mike may make her feel small when she is with him, but when she is with them she is the boss. It was her meeting, her team, and her decisions that mattered.

"I want us to resume our regular schedule. Which means we need 3 drops this year. So I want everyone to design a complete collection. Your first draft should be submitted on Thursday."

"I know it's soon," she added when everyone groaned. "but I want us to have a course of action before Friday so we can start planning next week."

"If you have any questions or concerns bring them straight to me. I have an open door policy so everyone is welcome at anytime. If I'm not in the office when you come by then let Matilda know and I will get back to you at my earliest convenience."

"I look forward to seeing your beautiful designs. Have a good day."

"Meeting adjourned." Matilda shouted admist the chaos that ensued.

The room was loud with whispers and murmurs as everyone stood up to leave at the same time. Dunni was really excited to see what they came up with. Hopefully something she could submit to Mike on Friday.

That was one of the perks of being the boss, she could just pass her work along to her coworkers. Not that she wasn't going to work on it too, but six heads were better than one and all that. Plus her time was limited this week.

The room emptied out and only Dunni and Matilda remained.

"Anything else ma?" Matilda asked.

"No," Dunni smiled. "Is there anything else on my calendar that I should be aware of?"

"No ma," Matilda smiled. "But a few VIP clients may come around just to meet you. They don't have an appointment but they like feeling like you cater to them."

"Okay then," Dunni stood up. "Let's go."

They walked together talking about the meeting and some of the issues addressed. Dunni wanted more permanent solutions but she didn't have any ideas yet.

Once she was back in her office, Dunni got back to work. She hoped to finish cataloguing old collections before the end of the day. So she could find a pain point to focus on.

She wanted her first collection with CJ to solve an otherwise overlooked problems. To be innovative and fresh. Those were all great plans but she needed to know what had been done before to create something fresh.

She worked with her eyes on the clock, conscious of any VIP clients that might drop by unexpectedly. But no VIPs swung by.

The only visit to her office came at exactly 12pm, when Matilda stuck her head in to tell Dunni that she was going to lunch and oh Eniola wanted to see her.

Dunni had been shocked. Yeah she had talked about collaborating during the Saturday dinner, but Dunni thought she would reach out outside her office hours.

"Send her in," Dunni smiled.

Eni strolled in wallking with so much poise, she looked like she belonged on the runway. She was dressed simply in a black and white striped dress.

"Eni," Dunni greeted her with a smile and a hug when she got close enough. "Wasn't expecting to see you this soon,"

Eni shrugged. "I wanted to see you in your element. Well, one of your elements."

Dunni laughed at that. "Yeah one of my many elements."

"You look great by the way," Dunni pointed at Eni's black and white striped dress, as she led the way to the couch.

"Thank you. You look great yourself."

"So what can I offer you. Tea? Coffee?"

"Nothing." Eni said waving away her offers. "Actually, I came to offer to take you to lunch,"

"Lunch?" Dunni looked confused. Eni nodded affirmative.

"Well, I have a lot of work to catch up—" Dunni edged. She wasn't sure lunch was a great idea.

"You have to eat sometime and what better time to go for lunch than during your lunch break."

"Okay, but we have to go somewhere close by in case I am needed back in the office. Matilda told me a few VIPS may stop by."

"Sure, I know a great spot close by."

"Okay, let me grab my bag." Dunni walked over and grabbed her bag from where it sat, she tossed her phone inside her bag and they were ready to go.

"How do you like your office?" Eni asked looking around.

"Oh I love it. I wouldn't change a thing," Dunni smiled as they walked out of the said room together.

"I can think of a few things I would change," Eni said with a frown.

Dunni laughed. "Like what? The room is literally perfect."

"Like the art for example. I would put one of yours there instead."

"Oh no, that would be a bad decision. I would stare at it all day and just find twenty things I need to change." Dunni let out a self deprecating laugh. "Then I won't be able to focus on jewelry design work. It's best to keep those two things seperate."

"Hmm, note to self don't put Dunni's art in her space."

Dunni laughed as they walked out of the building and into the sunlight. "Let's take my car, I'm closer."

"Oh okay," Dunni smiled. It's not like she had a car of her own right now. Her car was still seating in the garage collecting dust. The girls were still kindly dropping and picking her after work. Just until the first paycheck came in.

They settled into soft leather seats and they were off. The restaurant was actually close by like Eni had said. But it was not the same place she had tried  with Mo and Eve.

"I keep finding cool lunch spots close by, thanks to you, Mo and Ms. Eve."

"Yeah, stick with us and we will take you to all the best places around."

Dunni smiled. They approached the restaurant were greeted by the server, then shown to their seats. The server gave a menu to order and left them. Dunni looked through the menu, looking for something cheap yet filling. But she was unfamiliar with some of the meals and there was no price anyway.

"Can I order for you?" Eni asked with a cringe. "I know it may seem somehow but I know something you I think you would love."

"Sure why not," Dunni smiled.

Eni called the waiter over and ordered their meal.

"So, tell me why you came to my office."

"Straight to the point I like that," Eni smiled.

"I'm just curious. When Matilda told me you came to see me. I thought you came to the wrong office." Dunni smiled and Eni laughed.

"Na, I know my way around Collins." Eni smiled. "I really came to see you. I have something I want to tell you but I don't know how to say it."

The waiter arrived with their drinks, forestalling their conversation.

"Thank you," they chorused and started laughing once they realized they chorused it.

Dunni looked, like really looked at her. Not as Mike's best friend and almost wife but as a nice young woman who would make a nice friend.

"I promise to keep an open mind, if you promise to get a custom Collins piece."

"Hmm," Eni paused and tapped her chin as she thought about it. "Deal," she said stretching out her hand for a shake.

"Great," Dunni shook her hand with a smile. "Tell me now so we can turn this to a work lunch then I won't feel bad for using company funds to pay for this meal."

Eni laughed. "I like you, we should be friends."

"Let's hear what you have to say first," Dunni shrugged.

"It's about Mike," Eni looked away.

"Oh, I thought—"

"No, it's not what you are thinking," Eni waved with a laugh.

"How do you know what I am thinking?" Dunni took a sip of her drink to hide her frown.

"It's simple maths. I'm his ex, I invite you for lunch and tell you I want to talk about him." Eni shook her head. "I promise I'm not warning you off Mike or anything like that. In fact I think you would be good together if he got his act together long enough to see it." Eni rolled her eyes.

"Okay," Dunni said laughing. She couldn't picture herself with Mike right now. Maybe before but now he was just acting like a jerk. She didn't like jerks. Even handsome jerks.

"I noticed on Saturday that Mike has a vendatta against you,"

"Oh I know," Dunni laughed. "If I had any doubts his actions today proved it."

"Oh what happened today?" Eni leaned forward and looked very interested.

But Dunni paused, Eni was still Mike's best friend, yeah she seemed to be rooting for them to get into a relationship. But her loyalties were still with her bestie. As they should.

"Hmm,"

"Don't worry, I won't tell anyone. Especially not Mike."

Eni looked sincere so Dunni just blabbed. Telling her about everything that happened.

"Friday?!" Eni looked shocked. "I need to give that man a good tongue lashing if he thinks it's okay to treat a woman like this."

"I'm sure you tried to teach him Eni," Dunni said with fake sorrow. "He probably just didn't understand what you were saying."

Eni laughed. "You are so refreshing. I see why Mo likes you."

"I like her too," Dunni smiled. "Thank you for wanting to warn me about you annoying friend. But he is not as overt as he thinks he is."

"That's the same thing I told him." Eni laughed.

"Now that we got that out of the way, are you free on Saturday?"

"Well except for dinner at the Collins I'm always free on Saturdays." Eni said.

"Great," Dunni smiled. "Keep it that way."

"Why do you ask?" Eni asked.

"I think we will make great friends." Dunni smiled.

"Really?" Eni looked so hopefully.

"Seriously," Dunni nodded.

"Then you need my number," Eni smiled.

Dunni pulled out her phone and gave it to Eni. She typed in her number and passed the phone back. Dunni called the number and smiled when her phone rang. "Now you have mine," Dunni said as she saved Eni's number.

"Oh, the event I want to invite you for on Saturday I'm going with a couple of friends I hope it won't be weird for you. If you think so I can cancel with them and we can go somewhere together."

"Oh no," Eni laughed. "I would love to meet your friends. Do you think they will like me?"

"Are you kidding?" Dunni smiled. "They will love you."

"Great, I can't wait for Saturday."

"Me too," Dunni smiled. She couldn't wait to get home and gist the girls about everything.

"So, let's talk jewelry." Dunni smiled and hoped she wasn't too pushy. "What kind of pieces do you like?"

"Dainty, simple pieces." Eni

"Great," Dunni smiled. "What piece don't you have right now?"

"Honestly I want more matching sets. Like bracelet, necklace, earrings, rings. The whole family."

"Hmm," Dunni frowned. "Doesn't Collins Jewel have something like that currently?"

"Na," Eni shook I head. "First place I checked."

"Oh that's a shake," Dunni took mental notes. "Well what kind of design do you love?"

"Surprise me," Eni said with a smile.

"Oh but—"

"I'm sure I will love whatever you get for me."

"I won't disappoint," Dunni retuned to her meal. "This is delicious by the way."

"I'm glad you like it,"

"I'm glad I let you order for me," Dunni smiled cheekily.

The spent the rest of the lunch getting to know each other better. Dunni was also trying to guess what designs would best suit her.

Dunni was sad when their time together was over. Eni was great company.

"See you Saturday," Dunni waved as Eni drove off. She turned and walked into the building smiling at the receptionist. It was time to get back to work.

Mike's collection wasn't going to design itself.

🍲🙄😑

By Wednesday Dunni was tired. Tired of her open door policy, tired of trying to figure out fresh and impressive ideas. She needed something that would blow Mike's socks off. Yet all the designs she had created were lackluster at best.

She loved chatting with her team members but at the end of every chat she felt like she hadn't solved any of their problems, only added more to their palava. She felt like an all round failure and she was tired of feeling that way.

Tired of feeling like maybe she didn't deserve the job like Mike was insisting, maybe she should just stick to playing with paint, maybe she wasn't ready to roll with the big boys. Not quite yet.

She carried her tiredness around with her all day, to lunch, to her meeting with the team, to a VIP client meeting, she just carried it around like it was her bag.

Once the work hours were over, she was close to tears. The only thing holding the tears at bay was sheer willpower. The girls came to pick her up at exactly 7pm. As soon as she entered the car, the first hug pushed her over the edge. She just started bawling like a baby.

Everyone panicked and started asking her what was wrong. But Dunni couldn't speak behind the force of the tears, so they just let her cry in the relative silence of the car. The only sound heard in the car that evening was the sad Christian song playing over the Bluetooth speaker, Dunni's sniffles and the occasional 'Sorry dear'. They drove home as quickly as possible, without breaking too many traffic laws.

As soon as the car was parked in the garage, they hustled Dunni out of the car and into the building. Dunni tried to keep it together, she couldn't just continue crying even though she felt like it.

They arrived in the apartment without Dunni shedding another tear, there were a lot of sniffles but no tears were shed. The girls rallied around Dunni encouraged her to go and bath first before they talked.

Once again Dunni stood in her shower knowing that her friends were waiting for her outside. It felt like a flashback to that faithful day after the event. She did everything quickly and was back in the sitting room as soon as she could. She needed to get it off her chest.

The girls had brought out buckets of ice cream in every flavour, two vanilla, Dunni's favorite. There was a box of tissues close by. Dunni laughed because it looked like they were about to have a crying party.

"At least she is laughing," Angie said. Pulling Dunni to the couch. "Now tell us what is wrong?"

"I'm tired," Dunni said and she felt the tears again. "I'm tired of everything. I feel like I am not good enough for this job, like maybe I shouldn't have accepted in the first place. I am not a good leader, I am not a good designer." Dunni went on and on and on.

They just let her talk, placing a bowl of ice cream on her lap, handing her tissues when the tears started to fall. After the stream in Dunni's eyes dried up, the girls pulled her into a group bear hug.

"Babe, it's going to be okay." Angie said breaking the silence. "Now let's eat all that crying made me hungry."

"Hmm," Dara looked from one girl to the other. "Shouldn't we talk about everything first then eat,"

"This girl needs to eat back all the energy she has cried away." Angie smiled. "We can always eat and talk."

They moved from the couch to the kitchen to get some food, they were feasting on delicious smelling jollof rice and chicken. Dunni couldn't believe she had not smelt the food since she entered the house. They had cooked dinner before they came to pick her up.

"I'm sorry," Dunni smiled at them. "I didn't even know food was ready."

"That's how we knew you were distraught. Dunni did not smell this delicious meal, ha there is serious problem then."

Everyone laughed.

"It does smell delicious. Compliments to the chef."

"Thank you thank you," Dolapo danced from side to side in what was supposed to be a curtesy.

They laughed again.

Soon the meal was dished, they  returned to their position on the couch and enjoyed their meal.

"I have to say Dunni you have been listening to so many lies that you now believe the lies." Angie said opening the floor. Everyone nodded their agreement while Dunni listened attentively.

"Who told you that you are not a good designer? Who told you that you are a bad leader? Who told you the VIP clients hated your work? Who told you that you are failing?"

Dunni kept quiet because no one had told her any of that. Nobody except the enemy in her mind.

"I see you working hard, barely 2 weeks into the job and you are almost burnout from trying to please everyone. Your team members, VIP clients, Mike," Angie rolled her eyes when she said his name.

"I can't believe we wanted you to date that guy at some point," Dolapo hissed.

"Yeah," Dara agreed. "Let me add that in all Mr. CEO every said, not once did he say you weren't good at your job. He only asked you to impress him. Sure you may feel like all you have done so far is not impressive enough but it is in no way terrible. You are good at your job Dunni. If not you wouldn't have gotten hired."

"Remember you went through 2 interviews before they decided you were the one. Mike was not involved in the process but the people that know employed you. Mike is just being a big baby."

"You are doing a good job my dear," Dolapo smiled. "You can't figure everything out in 2 weeks."

"Exactly 2 weeks is training in some companies. Don't let Mr. CEO get in you head."

"Plus his mom likes you, if you feel like you need to. Go above his head."

"Yeah but she has retired," Dunni said.

The girls laughed. "Dunni you are funny oo, do you think you can retire from your company like that. I'm sure she  knows everything happening. Don't forget that you have an ally in her."

"Most importantly where is God in all this?" Dami frowned at her. "Have you asked him for help? For wisdom? For strength? For the words? He blessed you with this job and he can help you keep it but you need to bring your problems to him."

"Gbam," Angie said. "Let's even do that right now. Let's pray."

"Dear God your daughter is struggling. She is tired, help her Lord. Your word says that you give strength to the weary. Lord give her strength. Help her to wait on you also. Help her to put you first. Help her Lord."

"Father help her put Mr. CEO in his place." They all laughed.

"Everything is going to work out fine. You will see."

"Thank you all," she smiled at her sisters. "I love you,"

"Don't get mushy on us," Angie said.

"Me I love you too," Dami said pulling her into a hug. Dunni laughed with everyone and she knew the girls were right. Everything was going to be fine. Even if she was fired on Friday.

A/N:

Sorry for the long wait. I had to sort out a few things but I will be more consistent going forward. I promise one chapter a week. Maybe even more than one if you talk nice to me in the comments.

I made this chapter super long to make up for all the time I've been away. Hope you enjoy.

Also Happy New month. Welcome to April, my birth month. My birthday is on the 17th 🥰

What do you think about the blossoming friendship between Eni and Dunni?

Do you think Dunni will be out of a job by Friday?

Next Update: Thursday.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 87 22
A groom leaving his bride on their wedding day is unheard of and that is exactly what happened to Amara. Collins was her first everything. He didn't...
116K 6.5K 151
"I am not a mistress! Your mother was the mistress!"???? -Mrs. Kim you have tumor in your body need to remove as soon as possible._ Dr -I will remove...
59.8K 8.9K 21
[COMPLETED] Spurred by her desperation and an eagerness to be released from the shackles of poverty, Ada finds herself joining a sugar daddy site wit...
OCTOBER 10TH By Nasir Aisha

Mystery / Thriller

13.9K 2.2K 35
Copyright© 2022. All rights reserved. October 10th. She once believed it was the finest day of the year. How innocent she was. Now, burdened by count...