Samurai ↔ Nishimura Riki

By lavendyl

In ancient supernatural Japan, women are expected to take care of the house, be beautiful, marry, and obey th... More

intro
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty three
halloween special
twenty four
twenty five
twenty six
twenty seven
twenty eight
twenty nine
thirty
thirty one
thirty two
thirty three
thirty four

twenty two

384 24 47
By lavendyl

Days flew by before merging into weeks until he could no longer count how long it had been.

"Hit all the disks!" Teacher Hwang barked.

He threw three clay disks into the air. Half startled by the sudden command, Riki hastily fumbled to nock the arrow. When he slipped it into position, he let it fly, but it was too late. Only two of the disks shattered from the impact. The third fell to the ground, unaffected, with a thud.

The general grunted and picked up the remaining clay disk. "Not bad. I was only expecting you to hit one. But it could be better." He inspected it, holding it up to eye level, before tossing it away. "That's all for today. Class is dismissed."

The prince nodded absentmindedly before turning to face Hyewon.

Already two weeks have flown by since the incident. That night was merely a mistake, nothing else. It remained undiscussed and honestly, Riki didn't know whether to feel anxious or relieved that that tabooed topic wasn't brought up. It was in the past now, and the past should stay in the past.

Nonetheless, he couldn't help but feel that a certain distance was between the two of them. Not like they had been extremely close in the first place, he thought to himself ruefully.

"What's after this?" he asked, striding up to Hyewon, who had stood stonily in one place the entire lesson, arms crossed with her signature scowl etched on her face. She raised her eyebrow. "Don't you know your own schedule?"

He rolled his eyes. "I do know it, but I'm asking you for clarification. History, right?"

"No, stupid. It's royal etiquette."

Right. He had forgotten that History had now been swapped out for that class. Now that the masquerade ball was just one month away, he had to start learning how to waltz. History class had never been pleasant, but he'd choose it over hours of having sore feet. He sighed, "Alright. Let's go."

-

Screw it. The atmosphere was getting awkward.

They walked down the corridor in absolute silence. Absolute silence. And Hyewon hated it. And although she'd never admit it to him, she kind of missed their daily bickers and arguments.

Two weeks of awkwardness. She was so tired of it that all she wanted to do was shake Riki vigorously and demand him to start some random debate so everything would be back to normal. But the more rational part of her stayed composed.

The doors of the ballroom were already swung open as they walked in. A gigantic, sparkling chandelier hovered over the room, carved with intricate designs only the most meticulous craftsmen could do. In the far right corner, a small band of musicians tuned their instruments. Paintings of the royal family hung from the walls, their imposing faces staring down at them.

A tall woman wearing a frivolous gown strutted towards them, her heels loudly clacking against the polished wooden floor (so much that, Hyewon thought to herself, her heels would pepper the floor with holes).

"Hello dear!" Madame Byun trilled as she brought Riki into a bear hug, the latter seemingly uncomfortable squished into her embrace. When she let go, she beamed her sickly sweet smile at Hyewon. "Oh, Hyewon, it's nice to see you again."

She internally rolled her eyes. What a ditzy lady. But she didn't say that out loud. Forcing a smile, she bows her head at the elder. "Hello, Madame Byun." she greets politely.

She pats Hyewon on the head dismissively before turning to the prince. "Excited for your ballroom dancing class?" she asks him with great enthusiasm. Without waiting for an answer, she claps her hands. "Dear, you're going to love this class. It's so much more interesting and interactive than your boring History lessons. Let's get started!"

Madame Byun snapped her fingers. Instantly, the band snapped to attention. Music poured out of their instruments, filling the room with a slow, warbling melody.

She recognized it. It was quite a popular piece of its time, written by a famous composer who had died a few years ago. If she recalled correctly, it was his last piece before he died of heartbreak, drinking everyday ever since his wife had died.

The teacher swept Riki towards the middle of the floor. "Try to feel the rhythm of the music as I guide you. Don't get too frustrated if you don't do the steps correctly. Let the sound of the koto echo in your ears. Plant your feet apart. Okay, now follow me. Take a small step forward with your left foot..."

Needless to say, it was the most boring thing all day. Hyewon yawned. It was such a bore watching them, she'd rather prick her eyeballs with razor hot needles. Silently watching them, she hoped Riki would trip. At least that'll offer some source of entertainment.

And trip he did.

"Now twirl me around," Madame Byun instructed. "Good. Now take a few steps to the right"

Ironically, her wish came true. Thanks to his long legs (gods bless the tall genes), he stumbled forward, tripping on the glossy wooden floor. His legs gave out beneath him and down he went with the teacher.

"Oof!"

She stifled a laugh. Now that was high entertainment after hours of boredom.

Madame Byun recovered quickly from the fall. She hastily stood up and dusted her gown. "Don't worry, dear, you'll get the hang of it soon. I'll get you dancing on your feet in no time before the ball," she reassured the prince, extending one hand to him, which he took albeit reluctantly, cheeks flaming. "Now..." Hyewon didn't like the way the elder's eyes roamed towards her. "Prince Riki, why don't you get accustomed to dancing with Hyewon while I go fetch something? Hyewon, dear, you know the traditional waltz right?"

She stood there, surprised that she had been brought into the conversation. She wanted to cleanse her ears. Did she hear what she said right? Dancing? With him?

Hell no. Hyewon was barely on talking terms with Riki. Couldn't she just stand in the corner, looking depressed like a normal body guard. Was Madame Byun that dense not to notice they weren't on good terms?

She had taken too much time to think, now the prince was looking her way too. Despite her urge to respectfully decline the proposal, several years of proper etiquette said otherwise. She cleared her throat awkwardly. "Yes, ma'am."

Madame Byun beams. "Perfect! You two can dance with each other while I go get something from my office. Toodles!"

And then she strutted away, the train of her frilly gown trailing behind her like a tail, leaving Hyewon alone with the male. (Well, except the small band, but cough, leT's pretend this is a main character moment lmao).

She made no effort to change her position as she brushed off specks of dust on her sword sheath. It wasn't like they had to actually dance right? No one was exactly watching to make sure that she and Riki were dancing right?

"Hey. Are you just going to stand there or something?"

The guard's head jerked upwards. Gods. The prince's face was only a few inches away from hers. He blinked his eyes innocently. Since when did he get so close?

She didn't like their close proximity. A bit too close for her comfort. Slightly flustered, Hyewon shoved the prince away, making sure there was more distance between the two of them. "Go away. Have you never heard of personal space?" she spat at him.

His eyes curled into small crescents. His lashes were awfully long. How could he smile like that, acting like there hadn't been anything between them the past two weeks? Riki shrugged, all poised-like. "Well, didn't Madame Byun tell us to dance? I'm simply complying."

"Dance?" She raised an eyebrow. "I'd like to see you try. It's not like I need to, no one's going to know either way."

"Fine, be like that." Suddenly, he grabs her hand and drags her forward to the center of the room.

She grits her teeth. "Yah! What the hell do you think you're doing-"

"I'm making you dance, obviously," As he twirled her around, he leaned forward and whispered in her ear, "Come on. It isn't that hard. Or are you afraid?" the prince taunts.

Hyewon scoffed, but let him spin her around. "Says that person who fell earlier." she fired back.

"Do me a favor and shut up, okay? No one asked, period."

"Funny thing is that you think I'm going to do that, hm? Not a chance."

His breath fanned her ear. "Just follow me. If you don't, I'll kindly remind you that the ensemble is watching. If that doesn't convince you," Riki shrugs again. "Well, I could always tell on you."

"Tch. Spoiled brat," she muttered under her breath. "Using the prince trump card now, are you?"

He offers a wide grin. "Yes, yes I am. Now dance. Mind you, you need to hold onto my shoulders."

She rolled her eyes, but complied anyway. Immediately, she felt his arms encircle her waist. Her body tensed at his touch as Hyewon cringed inwardly. This was so, so awkward.

The melody shifted into a faster pace, so naturally the movements were quicker as well. Hyewon had to admit, it wasn't too bad dancing with him. Maybe the rift between them was starting to mend. That was what she thought until he stepped on her foot.

"The hell?" she yelped, letting go of his shoulders. She stomped on both of his feet, making the prince in pain. "What was that for?!?"

"There's no need to be aggressive, woman! It was an accident!"

"It's called payback, stupid." Hyewon huffed. "And you were acting oh-so professional about dancing."

"Hey! At least I take lessons, unlike you."

"And what makes you think I never took any? They had waltzing lessons back at the academy too, stupid! Knowing how to ball dance isn't some magical ability only royals can do!"

At that moment, the doors creaked open. For a moment, the guard thought it was Madame Byun coming back from her office, but the reality was much worse.

"Ki!" Lia squealed, entering the room. "I've been looking for you for so long!"

Annoyance bubbled in her system. Just hearing her voice pissed her off. Hyewon stood up taller and crossed her arms. "No one invited you here, Yoon." she replied scathingly.

The latter's eyes traveled towards her and she let out a high pitched laugh, higher than her usual tone. "Oh, Hyewon, I never knew you were there. Why don't you continue being invisible and unimportant as always?"

"And why don't you continue your way out of the ballroom and wipe off all those layers of powder on your face? We all know it's fake anyway." she retorted sarcastically. "Please and thank you. The exit's the way you came in, just in case you didn't know."

"Oh please, at least I have naturally good looks. You can't even dream of comparing yourself to me."

"Hyewon, stop arguing with Lia." Riki says quietly, nudging her on the side, but she ignores him. "You call that face beautiful? Girl, first you need to wipe off your makeup and your hair extensions and change that bratty personality of yours, then we can have a conversation about who's prettier, because frankly, your personality is trash, especially with all that foul garbage you spit out everyday, you fake, two faced princess wannabe. You're just after the throne, aren't you?"

Hyewon felt a twinge of satisfaction as the minister's daughter's face fumed red with anger. "Shut up, you stupid-"

"I told you to stop, didn't I?" the voice behind her chimed, the last thing she heard before she was whirled around, her lips landing on his.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

88.7K 4.7K 30
❝ 𝘐 𝘩𝘢𝘵𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶 ❞ ❝ 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘐 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶. ❞ After the death of her first love, Hyejin decided to move on with her life without him, even th...
46.6K 2.1K 47
in which she moves schools and he becomes her popular, attractive classmate. but what happens when things change, and she battles an undeniable, burn...
40.8K 1.1K 25
A normal girl that has trauma on her past that cause of her own family members. Yun Y/n. She's pretty , smart , kind , sweet , humble and somehow hon...
218K 7.6K 42
"My soulmate is Jungwon? The Enhypen member?!" Rina, A 16-year-old girl who was never really a romantic type of person. Until she meets her only exce...