To Whit

By LizzyPeltonWrites

That is to say, namely, a story about second chances. More

II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI

I

160 16 9
By LizzyPeltonWrites

LEO POV

"I know, Bree, I know... Okay, I'll see you at lunch since I have work to do until then." 

I hung up my phone and leaned back against my desk with a huff.

Preteens more of an apex predator than some of the attorneys I've sparred against.

My daughter was a few months away from turning 13 and while I loved her and was glad she was with me most of the time, her persistence can be tiring.  She rarely asks to leave school and was always able to settle in with her phone in my office if needed so hopefully I can pick her up soon and still get my busy schedule accomplished.

I smiled softly at my laptop screen, a photo of Bree grinning at Christmas with her new Harry Potter set of DVD's.  She never asks for much and I was always glad she picked up my love of reading and fantasy novels, especially since movie marathons are something we frequently enjoy. 

A knock at my office door drew my attention away and I looked up to see one of my law firm partners, Aaron Gregory, peeking in.

"Meeting time, Leo." He offered a smile that was disarming with his wrinkles and white hair.  "Don't forget, the new paralegal is starting today."

I let out a groan and followed him down the hallway to the conference room.  The office suite we settled into a few years ago was open, with glass walls blocking off our private spaces and a few other desks available for support staff.  We had one main conference room with a great view of downtown, and were able to get to the Courthouse two blocks away easily as well.

Our receptionist, Mandy, was already waiting with her laptop and gave me a flirty grin.  She was nice enough and did a good job keeping track of calls but I was never that social so did not know much about her.  Bree knew more, thanks to the time she spent hanging around after school, so as long as my little girl is comfortable I am happy.

Dave Spencer, the third partner of Gregory, Spencer, and Wainwright, breezed in a few minutes later with a cup holder that had coffee for each of us.  He had a grin on his face and was more energetic than usual for a Monday morning.

We had a great reputation thanks to Aaron. He worked as adjunct faculty at State and was  established as a lawyer when he started our family law practice about 10 years prior. While I had been working as a junior partner at a bigger firm, the idea of switching somewhere with more flexibility was appealing.

I was glad Aaron mentioned wanting me to join.  It's been a great position and allowed me to spend a lot of time with my daughter in spite of how packed our schedule stays.

"Sorry for the delay, guys. Is Whitney here yet?" he asked, handing me my Americano. Dave and I met through Aaron and I respected how easily he worked with clients.  I was more of a book nerd that dug into case law while Aaron and Dave had the social skills to keep our firm solid.  It was a healthy balance that could easily be shattered by the wrong employee joining our team.

Mandy shook her head, "Aaron told her 9 and it's barely 845 so I am sure she'll be along shortly."

"So, I wanted to make sure we were on the same page before she starts today. Whitney came highly recommended by Joe Madison and worked with his firm the last 4 years after getting her Bachelor's. Since he is retiring and his partner is now working with the District Attorney they were checking around to help her find a new position. I met with her and was impressed."

I had known Aaron Gregory since he was one of my professors in law school. He rarely has a kind word to say about anyone aside from his wife and kids.  Aaron had an affable nature but was a tough lawyer that did not take shit from anyone.  His praise gave me a bit of relief but I was still nervous about having someone new nearby.

Dave cleared his throat, "Well, I mean, who will she work with? My wife is still helping me part time which is more than enough for my caseload at the moment."

Aaron looked my way and I shook my head. "You know I don't work well with others..."

"And I also know you have three new clients that have considerably added to your stress level. At least give it a try, Leo.  Madison said she basically has an encyclopedic knowledge of precedent and could help a ton with your research on the more complicated clients you have to weed through."

My head began to pound at the idea of training a new paralegal to deal with cases the way I prefer them handled. I was extremely particular and after firing four paralegals in a row last year alone insisted I would take care of things myself.

At least that way everything is done correctly.

It may mean spending hours after Bree goes to bed handling research and emails, but my life revolves around my daughter and this firm.  Nothing else matters.

I groaned at the change to my routine, not sure how to react, before the door creaking open took our attention away from the current discussion.

"Welcome, Whitney!" Aaron said with a warm smile, standing from his seat.

A short blonde seemed shell shocked as she entered the office but quickly schooled her expression and extended her hand with a warm smile. "Thank you, Mr. Gregory."

Dave stood as well and ushered her to one of the empty seats across from me while introducing everyone. Mandy offered a soft smile as our new team member set down her bag. "We were just getting the day started. Sorry I didn't grab you a coffee, but I'll get your order and make sure you're included next time."

"That's not necessary, Mr. Spencer. I don't drink coffee." Whitney grabbed a bottle of green juice from her bag and held it up with a smile.

She seemed nice enough and was in a simple black outfit, blonde hair above her shoulders. I studied her a moment as the guys made small talk but still had my reservations about being thrown into this situation.

"So, Leo, your 930 will be here soon. I'm sure you want to brief Whitney before she sits in the meeting," Aaron said to coax me.

I nodded and stood, "Please follow me."

Whitney did as requested and was quiet as she walked a few paces behind. I gave her a quick tour of our office space and showed her where her desk was.  Aaron already had a stack of HR paperwork set for her so I allowed time to settle in while pulling up the case file on my laptop.

Our offices were separated from the main space with a wall of windows so Whitney's area was outside my door about 10 feet away.  Dave's wife, Meg, had a desk nearby as well but usually worked from home except a couple days a week when she came in to make calls and handle scheduling.

She started as our receptionist about 7 years ago.  Dave fell head over heels fast which was fun to watch.

My phone vibrated as I sat in my desk chair and I saw another message from Bree. I keep my cell on Do Not Disturb when I am at work but my daughter's number will always go through.

BREE: Please, Dad, I feel awful... can I please get out before lunch?

LEO: I have a meeting in a few minutes then will come get you, okay? I'm sorry you don't feel well, sweetheart.

BREE: Thank you, Dad. Can we stop at the store? I need to grab a few things.

LEO: Of course, but you will have to come to the office with me for a bit before we can head home.  You know the drill.  My chairs are comfortable and if it's urgent then I will get a doctor appointment set for later today.

Whitney rapped on the doorway and stood with a notepad and pen, posture tall. "Would you like me to review the file at all or do you just want me to take notes?"

"Just take notes, this is an easy no contest divorce case so it should be a quick meeting. Our client left his wife and they have everything mediated so it's a formality if anything." I answered, standing as I grabbed my laptop. "We can use that front conference room."

She nodded and made her way as I directed.  I noticed how she took a seat to the side, allowing me the head of the table, then tidied up our coffee station before taking a seat.

Maybe having a paralegal won't be so bad if she can actually do her job without mindless small talk. The last gal we hired was far too friendly with us as well as clients. There has to be a level of distance to keep professionalism intact but she seemed to want information on everyone constantly.  I hated having to delegate since usually that meant things fell through the cracks, but maybe this time is different.

Part of me missed being social, but mostly it was easiest to keep up a wall. I had to focus on my daughter aside from work so time rarely allowed me to even consider grabbing a drink with Dave and Aaron after work much less anything else.

By the time I set up my laptop Whitney was speaking to Mandy who led her back to the kitchen. She returned with a carafe of coffee, more cups, and some stir sticks.

"Thank you," I said before returning attention to my screen as I prepared for the meeting.

"Is there anything else you need for the meeting?"

"No, this is good."

She settled in her seat and reviewed some paperwork she was given for onboarding until the client arrived. It was a fast meeting, barely over a half hour, and Whitney took notes plus offered information that was accurate and showed a fresh perspective on the law.

Once everything was finished up she headed back to her desk without another word. Within 15 minutes I had an email with the meeting notes attached as well. I knew our system was similar to Madison since we used the same tech firm to assist with setting up a private server and Dropbox. Files are tucked into folders for each client and each of us have access based on necessity. Confidentiality is vital so knowing she came highly recommended by another reputable firm gave me some comfort. I reviewed her work and was satisfied but debated whether to warn Whitney that my daughter was coming to the office.

No, that's not needed.  Bree will do her own thing as usual so it's not like this would make a difference.

"Whitney, I am going to run out for a few but will be back within an hour," I said with a wave.

She looked up and nodded, then got back to work on her Human Resources paperwork.

It was fascinating how Whitney seemed to just slip into the routine without needing guidance or bothering me. Every other paralegal I worked with tried too hard to get to know me, making small talk and causing more discomfort than I was willing to deal with.  One settled herself in my office on breaks and her lunch while I tried to make calls and get things done.  We had to fire another because she had penchant for asking Bree uncomfortable questions, too.

Business and personal do not mix. Sure, my daughter comes to the office and is familiar with the other lawyers and Mandy, but she's shy and keeps to herself like I have always done.

Maybe that's not the best thing for a 12 year old girl, but at least she is studious and does not cause problems at the office.

My daughter's middle school was about a ten minute drive from the office. I dropped her off every day and would pick her up most of the time as well. Her Mom, Lydia, was hands off and did not make time to have our child around.

It's a good thing I never married her. 

I was in love and stupid, completely willing to give up all I had worked for to provide the life she and my daughter deserved. Thankfully she decided to cheat on me and I was able to keep primary custody of Bree since she was a toddler. My parents don't live too far away and enjoy seeing her about once a month but otherwise it's my sidekick and me against the world.

Bree was waiting outside the front doors of the school when I pulled up. Her long dark hair was pulled back in a ponytail and there was concern in her expression.

She jogged to the passenger door and I leaned over to open it for her.

"Thank you, Dad," she said softly after buckling up and settling into the seat. "We can just stop at the pharmacy for a second."

"Sure, what's going on, sweetheart?" I asked, my eyes drifting to her before I focused on the road.

Bree let out a sigh and looked upset. "I just don't feel good..."

"What kind of don't feel good? Stomach ache, headache, sore throat..."

She seemed nervous so I realized quickly what she meant.

"It's okay, Bree. Just choose whatever you want and make sure to get some snacks as well. We can order lunch at the office then head home after my 2pm meeting."

My daughter nodded and sniffled, her hands bracing her stomach in pain.

I tried to make sure she was always comfortable talking to me about anything that happened, but her period was still a bit of a touchy subject.  Lydia was no help, especially since she was barely around twice a month if we were lucky, but my Mom had a good talk with Bree awhile ago and we were easing into the changes that happen when a child goes through puberty.

Our pharmacy trip was fast, allowing her to grab pads, a Coke, and a Snickers bar. I asked if she wanted anything else but she shook her head so we checked out then headed back to the office.

"Good to see you, Bree!" Mandy said sweetly.

"You, too, Mandy," her voice was quiet but I led her to my office so she could drop her things then use the bathroom.

Whitney offered a warm smile when we approached and I decided to introduce them. "Bree, this is our new paralegal, Whitney. Whitney, this is my daughter."

"Nice to meet you, Bree," she answered before noticing my daughter's shirt. "Ooohh, which Hogwarts house are you?"

"Slytherin, but I decided it fits me."

"I'm a Ravenclaw and feel the same way."

They shared a smile and I guided my daughter into the office so she could get settled. Bree quickly ran to the bathroom with her purchase and I noticed Whitney study her before digging into her bag.

She knocked on my office door a moment later and seemed nervous.  "Mr. Wainwright?"

"Yes?"

Whitney stepped forward and handed me a bottle of Advil. "In case she needs it."

I was stunned but nodded my thanks before she slipped back to her desk. Bree joined me a moment later and I offered her the pain reliever.

She nodded and quickly took one. "Thanks, Dad. Ugh, it's bad this time." Bree swallowed the medication with her Coke and let out a sigh. "Mom is no help. She just tells me to deal with it."

"You should not be in pain if we can help it, sweetheart," I reassured. "We can get you a doctor appointment set as well if needed."

"Thanks. For now I just want to eat my candy bar and figure out lunch." Bree peered outside my office to where Whitney was sitting. "So, she's new?"

"Just starting today. She worked with Madison but since he retired transferred here."

My daughter smirked at me, "She's pretty."

I rolled my eyes and said her name in a warning tone.

She giggled and put her hands up, "Just saying, it's a fact but you're kinda blind sometimes."

Mandy came to the door and knocked before I said she could enter.  "Hey guys? We were gonna order pizza for lunch. Does that sound good to you two?"

"Sure, Mandy!" Bree said with a grin. "Can we get that cheese bread with feta?"

"Of course. Whitney asked for the same thing."

We decided on toppings and Mandy left my office then seemed to chat with Whitney for a bit.

Bree started rifling through her backpack and let out a huff. "Do you have a phone charger, Dad?"

"No.   Sorry, Bree," I apologized, attempting to still juggle emails from clients while my daughter kept me company.

She stood and peeked out in the hallway then I watched her approach Whitney. They spoke for a few moments and Bree returned with a triumphant smile on her face. "Whitney had one."

"Good." I answered absentmindedly.

Bree let out a sigh then put in her Airpods while her phone charged.

The day had barely started and I was already exhausted. Here's hoping the rest of the morning goes smoothly.

AUTHORS NOTE

So, this book is already around 95% written (a similar place to where I was with "Georgia on my Mind" when I started posting) which means I'll try to update quickly.  I had a couple other ideas percolating but when I shifted a bit with this story decided it was where I wanted to focus for now.

Also, *spoiler alert* but no one dies and there are no major trigger warnings.  Of course there is a plot line with a bit of drama but this time we won't be dealing with grief as much as growing into a better version of yourself.  Age gap, Boss/employee relationship, some custody issues, and figuring out what it means to grow up are the main problems we will face which is nice after a couple books focused on death and sadness.  

Sorry if that's a bummer for you but hopefully you'll stick around even if there won't be long talks about childhood trauma or difficult loss.  This book also has one of the tropes I hate most but I found a way to make it work as a challenge to myself.  Feel free to message me your guesses what that may be as the story gets going.

Love you guys and hope you enjoy!

Lizzy

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

303 16 14
I escaped my mom and dad but now I'm being threatened by someone and I'll lose my life if I don't work for them
56.6K 3K 30
" I am pregnant with your second child but don't worry I will not force you to take the responsibility of this especially now that you are getting ma...
209 0 37
They weren't going to do anything crazy this year, Senior year means chilling, senioridis, and just not caring. But that didn't happen. A vision ge...
22.2K 228 69
Before you learn to save somebody's life, you have to first learn how to save your own...