Heart Of Gold

By film-nerd

"I promised you that you're getting a heart, and I intend to keep my promise." A Demi Lovato adoption story. More

o n e
t w o
t h r e e
f o u r
f i v e
s i x
s e v e n
e i g h t
n i n e
t e n
e l e v e n
t w e l v e
t h i r t e e n
f o u r t e e n
f i f t e e n
s i x t e e n
s e v e n t e e n
e i g h t e e n
n i n e t e e n
t w e n t y
t w e n t y o n e
t w e n t y t w o
t w e n t y t h r e e
t w e n t y f o u r
t w e n t y f i v e
t w e n t y s i x
t w e n t y s e v e n
t w e n t y e i g h t
t w e n t y n i n e
t h i r t y
t h i r t y o n e
t h i r t y t w o
t h i r t y t h r e e
t h i r t y f i v e
t h i r t y s i x
t h i r t y s e v e n
t h i r t y e i g h t
t h i r t y n i n e
f o r t y
f o r t y o n e
f o r t y t w o
f o r t y t h r e e
e p i l o g u e
e p i l o g u e t w o
b o n u s c h a p t e r

t h i r t y f o u r

910 71 18
By film-nerd

e d w a r d

I sit up quickly as I watch Demi fainted just outside my room, making a few nurses launch into action.

The nurse push me back down on the bed, but I kept my eyes on Demi as the nurses lift her up. Sammy looks over at me and walks into my room, with the nurses bringing Demi in.

They settled Demi on the other bed beside mine while Sammy walks over to me. "Is she okay?" I motion to Demi.

Sammy nods and gestures for the nurses to leave, they do. She takes a seat on the end of my bed and looks at me. "How are you holding up kid?" She asks me and I take a glance at Demi's passed out figure.

"I'll be fine." I manage to force a smile at her, but she was acting different, her posture seeming on guard. "Why? What is it?"

Sammy nods, and runs a hand through her hair. "Edward, something came up." She starts and I wait for her to continue, bracing myself for the worst.

"Your heart is failing, your mother has told me you keep getting more and more of the symptoms. That's a warning, you have until the end of this week before it finally stops beating." She says and I only blink at her.

I have until the end of this week, I thought, before I'm dead.

I nodded slowly, and my hands started to shake. "O-Okay." My voice was quiet, but it shook.

Sammy places a hand on my leg, looking at me. "There's still hope you know. You're the first on the list to receive a heart, when a heart present itself, I will let you know. Do you understand me? Don't lose hope kid." She gives me a hopeful smile before standing up and leaving the room.

I brought my legs up to my chest and wrap my arms around them, ignoring the IEV and burying my head in my arms. My body started to shake and I started to cry.

I was going to die.

Die.

Sucking in my sobs, I lift my head up and look at the nightstand beside me. I grab my phone from it and went through the contacts until I found the one I wanted to look for.

Pressing the phone against my ear, I waited for them to pick up. They did after the fourth ring.

"What's up son?" Nick says, but he sounded as he was busy.

"Oh, are you busy?" I ask him, my voice hoarse.

"Well I'm in this meeting with some very important people, why? And are you crying?" He asks me, his voice giving off a concern vibe.

"Forget it, just call me when you're done--" he cuts me off.

"No, tell me. What's wrong?"

"Nick, you're in a meeting with these important people--"

"No, you're far more important than them. Now tell me."

"I'm dying, I-I passed out earlier and Demi brought me to the hospital and they told me I don't got much time left, like a week. Nick, I don't know what to do. . ." I trailed off, pushing my hand through my hair as my vision blur again with new tears, my voice cracking.

"I'll be there in ten." He says before hanging up.

I blink, and look at my phone. He would seriously drop this important meeting just to come and be there for me? God, Demi has to marry him.

Dropping my phone on my bed, I turn my body to look at Demi. She was still passed out, and I bet she took this worse than I did.

Ten minutes flew by quickly, and Demi still hadn't woken up but Nick got here, just like he said.

"Hey," He says, walking into my room.

I look up at him with furrow eyebrows. "How did you get in here? It's family only." Confusion hinted in my voice as he takes the chair beside me, he shoots me a sheepish smile.

"I may or may not told them I was Demi's husband and your dad," He says and I laugh.

"Seriously?" I smiled widely as he nods.

"Yep," Then he stands up and sits next to me before opening up his arms for me. I hug him, leaning my head on his shoulder. "You're gonna be alright, I promise." He whispers to me and I nod.

We heard someone let out a soft groan and pulled away, looking over at Demi. "Tell me I didn't just receive the worst news of my life," Demi groans, propping herself on her elbows as she blinks and looks over at us.

We didn't say anything, confirming her worst fear.

Her eyes water and she gets off the bed, before walking to the door. "Sammy!" She yells as she walks out and into the hall before disappearing from our sight.

Nick looks at me before standing up. "I'll be right back, before she does something stupid." He says and I nod then he leaves too, following Demi.

So I waited for them to come back, which they did after some minutes.

"Come on," Demi says, advancing to me. She takes out my IEV, making me wince as she does that. "let's go."

"Where are we going?" I ask her, as she pulls me out of the bed and onto my feet. Nick grabs my suit coat and phone.

"We're getting you baptized, that's what we're going to do. I called the pastor and he told me to meet him at the river, it'll be quick." She says and I sit down in a wheelchair that a nurse brought in.

"Really?" I ask as they follow me, the nurse pushing me through the halls.

"Yeah," Demi nods and gives me a smile.

"Demi, he needs to come back, okay?" The nurse tells her as we got to the first floor, Nick pulling up Demi's car.

Demi nods as I stood up before walking to her car and getting in the passenger seat. Nick gets out and tells us he'll follow us in his car.

Demi takes her seat in the driver's seat and gives me a smile before starting to drive when Nick was behind us.

She grabs my hand as she drives, her eyes on the road.

I broke the silence between us. "The baptizing thing, what exactly do I have to do?" I ask her, looking over at her.

Demi smiles at me. "The pastor will hold you, and he'll say something and take you under water just for a few seconds. After that, you're saved." She tells me and I raise my brows at her.

"That easy?" I ask and she nods, laughing.

"Yeah, and then of course you'll have to accept God as your Lord and Savior. That easy babe," And Demi smiles at me.

She drives for another ten minutes, checking every so often to see if Nick was still behind us and didn't lose us. Demi pulls up next to a river soon, and smiles when she sees the pastor and a couple of other people from the church.

We got out, and walk over to them, Nick joining us.

"Hey," Demi says, hugging the pastor briefly then Nick shakes his hand. "thanks for coming on such short notice, I wish we could've done it with everyone else too."

The pastor smiles. "It's fine Demi, I know how important this is." He says then turn to me, smiling widely.

"Ready?" He asks me and I nodded. I took off my tie, shoes and socks before handing it to Demi and Nick. I roll up my dress pants to my knees before following him to the river.

"Man, I wish I came with better clothing," I heard Nick telling Demi.

She laughs as I walk into the water, following the pastor until it reach my waist. "Me too," I heard Demi telling him.

The pastor stops and tells me to turn around. I do as I was told and look at Demi and Nick, who smiled widely at me, proud filled their features as Demi takes out her phone, probably recording me.

"Now I'm going to take you under water just for a couple of seconds, so hold your breath." He tells me and I nodded, he holds my back and head before bringing me under water.

I hold my breath and then he pulls me to the surface. I gasp for air, then smiled as he clasp a hand on my shoulder. "You did it my boy, you're saved. All your sins are washed away," He tells me and I laugh, smiling as I look over at Demi and Nick.

I rush over to them, and Demi was the first to meet me half way. "See?! You're saved!" She says happily, wrapping me up in a hug, ignoring the fact that I was soaked from head to toe.

I ignore it too, wrapping my arms around her waist as she kisses my head. "I'm saved Dems," I tell her and we pulled away.

"I know baby," And she grins at me. Nick comes over to me and raises his hand.

"High five," He says and I high five him.

The pastor came over to us and we said a prayer or something before leaving. Demi thanks the pastor again before we walk to her and Nick's car.

"Follow me to El Palacio," she tells him. "we're just gonna get him some fresh clothes before going to the hospital again."

Nick gives us a thumbs up before getting in his car. Demi puts one of her sweaters on my seat, to avoid soaking the leather, and I sat down.

She drives us home and I go upstairs to take a shower and change while Demi and Nick stay downstairs.

After showing, I change into some sweats and a shirt. I was packing my
clothes into a backpack, oblivious to what's gonna happen next.

Everything was going well, then this happen.

I started coughing violently, and I cover my mouth. My body started shaking and I pull my hand away from my mouth to look at my hand, my chest squeezing.

Blood.

Blood was on the palm of my hand.

I started panicking as I continue to cough, trying to yell for Demi and Nick but I couldn't stop coughing. Soon enough, I felt blood running down my nose.

My legs gave out and I hit the floor, shaking violently as I cough blood.

I look around widely, looking for something to make Demi and Nick run up the stairs to help me.

I grab my shoe next to me then look at the lamp on my table. I hurl my shoe at it, and it tips over, crashing into the floor. It was loud enough to make Demi and Nick run upstairs.

When they came running in my room, my shirt and the floor beside me was filled with blood as I hunched over.

"Oh my god," I heard Demi saying before rushing over to me, pulling me up.

I cough blood over her shirt but she ignores it as she pulls me onto my feet. "Nick grab him, I'm gonna get the car." Demi says before grabbing my backpack of clothes and running downstairs.

Nick grabs me bridal style before rushing down the stairs with me, running out of El Palacio.

I grab at my chest, the pain was unbearable as I cough blood, I felt like my heart was giving up on me and my lungs drowning me.

Nick puts me in the backseat of Demi's car then gets in the driver's seat while Demi gets in beside me. He quickly pulls off, driving quickly.

Demi cradles me on her lap, holding my head up so I could look at her. My vision blur as I look at her, coughing blood and grabbing my chest.

"I-It hur-hurts," I stutter out, coughing.

Demi wipes my mouth with her hands, her eyes brimmed with unshed tears. "Faster Nick!" She tells him and I could feel the car going faster. Nick honks at a few people, muttering curses under his breath.

We reach the hospital in no time and Nick stops the car. Demi gets out, opening the door then Nick comes and grabs me. He runs in the emergency room with Demi beside us, them yelling for help.

"Shit," I heard Sammy saying before shouting orders.

Nick then lays me down on a gurney and I was surrounded by doctors and nurses. Sammy points a flashlight to my eyes. "Fucking hell, one of his blood vessels must've gotten blocked, causing back up, he's bleeding out." She says and that's when I realize I felt blood oozing out of my ears and that my vision wasn't blur with tears, instead it was blood.

I was drowning in my own blood and I didn't like it.

"Rate your pain Edward," She tells me as I look at her.

I hold up nine blood stain fingers.

I look at Demi as they push me away, talking over each other and saying words I didn't understand. Demi kept her eyes on me, and I could see she was crying hard, Nick behind her.

I grab my dog tag from my neck and yank it off before putting it in her hand. "I-I lo-lov--" I try to say the words but I couldn't, since the next thing I knew, blackness consume me whole and I faintly remember Demi screaming my name.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Torn By dovato

Fanfiction

269K 9.2K 69
Demi Lovato- empowering, inspiring, and brave. When she was eighteen? Opposite. After a nights full of partying and taking hits, the following day, s...
8.5K 125 41
In January of 2008, as her career was just beginning, Demi was given news that absolutely shocked her. She was pregnant and about to be a teen mom. O...
71K 1.3K 37
When Ally meets her idol will she get rejected or will she decided to change her life.
287K 9.9K 35
She looked down and started crying again. "Sweetheart, talk to me," I begged. She looked back up at me with fresh tears in her eyes. She slightly sho...