Turning Point - Sekigahara: T...

By KageNishi

Hidetoshi Kinoshita's tumultuous journey culminates in his adoption into the Mōri clan, becoming Hideaki Mōri... More

PART 1: THE BATTLE OF SEKIGAHARA
Phase 02 - Battle of Sekigahara (1)
Phase 03 - Battle of Sekigahara (2)
Phase 03 - Conclusion of the Decisive Battle
Phase 04 - The Conquest of Kantō
PART 2: OSAKA PERIOD
Phase 06 - Political Turmoil
Phase 07 - Advent of the Osaka Period
Phase 08 - Japan's Early International Relations
Phase 09 - Overseas Expansion
Phase 10 - Japan in Expansion Period
Phase 11 - Japan at Its Peak
PART 3: USHERING IN A NEW AGE
Phase 13 - End of the Osaka Period
Phase 14 - Founding of the Greater Japanese State
Phase 15 - Revolutionary War
Phase 16 - Revolutionary Fulfillment and the North American War
Phase 17 - Japanese Society Under the Vienna System
Phase 18 - Japan Becoming Imperialist
Phase 19 - Civil War
Phase 20 - A World Moving Toward Imperialism
Phase 21 - North America in the Latter Half of the 19th Century
Phase 22 - The Peak of Imperialism
PART 4: WORLD WAR I (TRUE ROUTE)
Phase 24 - Great War (1)
Phase 25 - Great War (2)
Phase 26 - Great War (3)
Phase 27 - Great War (4)
Phase 28 - Great War (5)
Phase 29 - Great War (6)
Phase 30 - Great War (7)
Phase 31 - Versailles System
''PART 5'': WORLD WAR I (GOOD ROUTE)
Phase 24 - Great War (1)
Phase 25 - Great War (2)
Phase 26 - Great War (3)
Phase 27 - Great War (4)
Phase 28 - Great War (5)
Phase 29 - Great War (6)
Phase 31 - Versailles Peace Conference
Something of an Afterword

Phase 30 - Great War (7)

12 2 0
By KageNishi

The completion of the Eurasian Ring by the alliance had created the most troublesome issue for the Entente.

Germany, which had been at war and gasping for breath due to the interruption of overseas trade, had managed to recover to some extent.

Of course, the amount of supplies that Japan could send from the Persian Gulf was limited, but the strategic shift of Japan (Asia) connecting with Germany, while Britain and India were cut off, greatly boosted the morale of the German population. Furthermore, even though it was limited, supplies were delivered to Germany (there was also a significant movement of goods from Ukraine and the Trans-Siberian Railway at the same time), which further boosted the morale of the German population both materially and psychologically.

It is said that it was during this period that the German population began to feel Japan as a true ally.

On the other hand, Britain had lost India as well, and the supply of imported goods from overseas had greatly diminished. France, which had lost its major industrial areas in the war, was also heavily dependent on overseas sources, and therefore suffered a significant blow.

In other words, the situation had essentially reversed.

. . .

Moreover, when Russia completely withdrew from the war in March 1918, the tables had turned in the war's dynamics. This was the first time since the initial German offensive failure in 1915 that the offensive and defensive roles had reversed. Additionally, Britain was faced with a two-fold choice: whether to focus on the Western Front or the Middle East, which essentially meant India.

With Japan's forces in Asia and the inability to mobilize troops and procure supplies from Asia, Britain was already exhausted, much like Germany. The level of exhaustion was similar for other Entente countries like France. They were left with the choice of either prioritizing a do-or-die battle or engaging in a struggle to preserve their limbs. Furthermore, the impact of Japan causing turmoil in Asia, along with the inability to procure resources from colonies and elsewhere, was hindering the continuation of the war for the Entente. They simply couldn't afford to engage in another war alongside the current one.

The only relatively strong region within the Entente was the Confederate States of America, but the South had to maintain a political-military balance in North America, so there were limits to the forces they could send, making it difficult to overcommit. The reason they were relatively strong was the limited deployment of troops and the war demand boosting their economy.

In addition, the alliance navies were becoming more active again.

Japan, at the forefront with its state-of-the-art Kongō-class battlecruisers, easily captured Socotra Island near Aden, securing a bridgehead towards the Red Sea, and started moving to establish firm control over the Indian Ocean. If the Red Sea were blocked, having the Suez Canal would be almost meaningless.

In the North Sea, the German High Seas Fleet was also becoming more active, and everyone sensed that the final showdown was approaching.

However, the Alliance also had limited room to maneuver, as countries other than Japan had already reached their limits in the war effort. Japan had experienced very few battles of attrition, which typically involved building trenches and intense battles between large armies, so the number of casualties was relatively low, and the cost of the war was considerably better than other countries. Furthermore, European countries were continually squandering massive amounts of ammunition and resources, which was putting tremendous pressure on their national wartime economies.

In this war, most European countries had completely sacrificed their domestic economies to produce vast amounts of weapons and ammunition. Thus, within their immature economies and distribution networks, there was a significant strain in maintaining this effort for an extended period.

Particularly, on the alliance side, Germany, Austria, Turkey, and Bulgaria were struggling, as Britain had blockaded the entirety of Europe, making it difficult to import resources from other regions, and their situation was especially severe on the resource front. Japan's opening of the path through Asia was greatly appreciated for this reason.

However, even though Japan started sending supplies from the Siberian Railway and the Middle East, it was a situation where the scale of daily consumed resources was only "better than nothing."

Nevertheless, the morale had somewhat recovered with the arrival of spirited Japanese soldiers from various regions, especially lifting the spirits of Turkish and German soldiers. Turkey was simply delighted by the arrival of their "Asian brethren," and Germany was elated to have dependable comrades from the Alliance. In the face of the harsh reality of war, racial discrimination and the like had been cast aside.

The Alliance continued to receive good news.

. . .

In March 1918, a major piece of news shook the world.

Japan and Turkey, in a joint military campaign, launched a swift offensive eastward towards the Suez Canal, effectively making it impossible for the Entente to use the Suez Canal.

Since the beginning of the war, Turkish attacks on the Suez had been made several times but had been successfully repelled by the tenacious defense of the British forces. However, various unfavorable conditions, such as repeated defeats in the Indian Ocean, failed troop withdrawals from India, and the unauthorized return of South African troops, started to pile up. As a result, the British forces were pushed into a purely defensive stance against the Turkish forces and were unable to go on the offensive.

During this time, the Turkish forces faced interference from Arab uprisings against them and the activities of British agents, notably "Lawrence of Arabia," but none of these posed a decisive threat. In the Arab world, Britain was resented for its imperialistic expansion as well. Suddenly, the Japanese army appeared in force, providing the Turkish forces with a significant boost through the massive supply of weapons and logistical support from Japan. Moreover, Japan distributed various supplies to the local population as a form of comfort and advanced its troops in various regions while ensuring immediate safety.

The Japanese army also brought planes to the Middle East, which had been the exclusive domain of Britain, and aerial combat also took place in the skies over Egypt. Since most of the Japanese aircraft had not been involved in intense aerial combat like in Europe, their equipment and planes were less advanced, making the aerial combat proceeded with Britain's small number of aircraft having the upper hand. However, high-performance aircraft similar to those of Germany eventually appeared, and the tide of the battle shifted to the disadvantage of the Entente. It was during this time that the Japanese ace pilot, known as the "Desert Hawk," became recognized in Europe.

Furthermore, the Japanese army brought a significant number of automobiles and trucks, both domestically produced and imported from the Yamato Republic, for transportation and logistics. Although the Japanese army did not possess tanks, they had a substantial number of modified lightly armored vehicles, exceeding the firepower and training of most Turkish soldiers. Most importantly, their mobility allowed them to carry out operations on unconventional battlefields. With an extremely low troop density on the battlefield, the outcome was determined by mobile warfare and maneuver warfare.

Therefore, the locally equipped British forces, which couldn't be considered particularly well-equipped, were scattered, and the Sinai Peninsula was occupied, resulting in the loss of the eastern side of the Suez. While the Alliance did not cross the Suez into Egypt, Britain had to use the railway along the Nile to reach a halfway port in the Red Sea and establish communication with Aden. Ship movement was impossible, and the sea routes around the Cape of Good Hope had already been partially blocked by the Japanese army, leaving Britain's remaining naval fleet (the surviving Eastern Fleet) stationed at Socotra completely isolated in terms of mobility.

Moreover, the fact that the Royal Navy which was supposed to be invincible was consistently at a disadvantage against the colored Asian nation had become a significant psychological burden for the British population.

The news of the impassable Suez Canal brought a great psychological shock to the British people. Anxiety spread, and people began to voice doubts about whether they could win the war.

The dire news continued. The Japanese fleet, including several battleships, shelled the Cape of South Africa, allowing more commerce raiders to enter the South Atlantic than before, embarking on a full-scale blockade of the sea routes between South America and Europe.

For Britain and others, South America was the last neutral region for food supply, except for Yamato, and the threat to this trade route further jeopardized the wartime economy. The commerce raiding was based on the interception of vessels by cruisers and battle cruisers, and its indirect effects were much greater than its direct effects. Because of the presence of a few large ships, Japan gained control of the South Atlantic.

Despite attempts to boost morale by referencing past struggles, such as the Napoleonic Wars and the battle against the Invincible Armada, the fact that Britain was at a disadvantage at sea and in a stalemate on land, with nations dropping out one by one, couldn't alleviate the people's anxiety.

People had started to believe that the war might not last much longer.

And then, in early spring 1918, there came further good news for the alliance and the most disastrous news for the coalition.

"The Yamato Republic has entered the war."

. . .

The Yamato Republic and the various North American nations had repeatedly entered into non-aggression and neutrality treaties in North America. This was to avoid the barren conflicts seen in Western Europe in North America. Simultaneously, they could also benefit from the wartime demand in a global-scale war. Yamato had rapidly risen to become the world's largest industrial nation, distancing itself significantly from others.

However, when the Confederacy joined the Entente, the balance gradually became unstable. The fact that Yamato had been favoring Japan on the Alliance's side since before the war further exacerbated the instability. While the Yamato insisted that North America wouldn't be a battlefield and that they would maintain their neutrality, as time passed, nobody believed it anymore.

The thinking was that if they joined the war and quickly defeated the Confederacy, they could further tilt the North American situation in their favor. And if Yamato joined the Alliance, it was considered almost a guarantee of the Alliance's overall victory. Furthermore, Yamato had been steadily increasing its military capabilities in the name of defense.

Regardless of Yamato's intentions, the world had come to see its entry into the war as an event that would occur when the right circumstances presented themselves.

And as expected, the situation began to unfold.

. . .

The unfavorable situation prompted the Entente to continuously urge the Yamato Republic not to support the Alliance, a practice that had been ongoing since the start of the war. However, the Pacific remained a somewhat lawless region for the Entente. When news spread worldwide that Yamato had provided new warships to Japan, leading to a major defeat for the British Eastern Oriental Fleet, anti-Yamato sentiments, especially in Britain, skyrocketed. While Britain itself understood that the Yamato Republic should not join the war, there was no clear solution due to the issue being intertwined with national sentiment.

As a result, the British Parliament passed a resolution considering the export of weapons to Alliance nations as equivalent to joining the war. Meanwhile, Yamato held an emergency council in its capital, Sakurame, and after intense debates, the council eventually passed a resolution to join the war. The populace and the assembly were incensed by being called cowards, and the proposal to join the war became the prevailing opinion by an overwhelming majority. In this regard, one could say it was very much in line with the pioneering spirit.

The results of the vote by the members of parliament saw the Lower House, which is more in touch with public opinion, pass it by nearly two-thirds, while the Upper House, representing various regions, passed it by a narrow margin. In other words, 48 hours after the president's declaration of war, the Yamato Republic transitioned to a state of war, joining the Alliance against the Entente.

This happened on January 12, 1918.

Before the start of hostilities, the Yamato government held a conference with the Confederacy government. The United States representative was also invited as an observer. It was a clear question: "Do you want a war like Europe in North America?"

Though it was essentially a request for surrender from the Confederacy government, the South's response was predetermined from the start. It meant surrendering to Yamato before the United States government announced its participation in either camp. This would preserve the nation, even if its honor was tarnished. Furthermore, the country's minimum dignity would be maintained by participating in the war in Europe. The difference shown in comparison to the United States would indicate that surrender was acceptable for the South.

Yamato called the Northern representative as an observer, without a say, to pressure the Confederacy into surrender without a fight. The US understood that if it joined the Entente, it would be overrun by Yamato, and if it joined the Alliance, the South would be taken by Yamato, and it was evident that it would be further disadvantaged after the war.

Therefore, the focal point of the fighting on the North American continent was simply, "What will Canada do?"

The Confederacy signed a ceasefire agreement with Yamato immediately upon the Republic transitioning into a state of war, declaring their withdrawal from the Entente.

This action enraged Britain and other Entente nations, but the Confederacy argued that it had fulfilled its duty and even emphasized its past efforts, then withdrew from the battlefield.

It was an exceedingly practical yet strange beginning and ending to the war.

. . .

Meanwhile, in the northern regions of North America, Canada found itself in a dire situation.

On the other side of the border, over a million troops from the Yamato Republic had already assembled. At that time, Canada had a population of approximately 5 million people. If an all-encompassing draft were carried out without regard for age, they could gather a similar number of soldiers. However, Canada itself had become a production base for Britain, so mobilization required a certain amount of time. Furthermore, the issue was compounded by the fact that soldiers typically available for drafting had already been sent to Europe. As a result, only older soldiers, trainees, and the wounded or ill were left within Canadian territory.

Then Yamato's special envoy assured Canada that if they followed the Confederacy's example, without an invasion, they were willing to conduct what was essentially an armistice. With this, it became apparent that Yamato's objective was not the dominion or unification of North America but rather winning the war as a whole and gaining a global advantage.

Here, the Canadian government requested three days for consultation with the British government, and the Yamato government granted a 48-hour extension. However, they made it clear that any movement of troops across the border would immediately lead to a state of conflict.

The British government was faced with a choice: either bring about an armistice in Canada to continue importing supplies as a neutral country or keep the conflict going for a few more months to maintain the military strength on the Western Front. Since the rapid loss and occupation of Canada were inevitable, there were no other alternatives.

The result was the acceptance of an armistice in Canada. It was generally agreed that Canada wouldn't last more than a month in the conflict, and what mattered more was Britain's overall capability to continue the war.

As a result, Canada also agreed to the offered armistice by Yamato, effectively withdrawing from the war.

Subsequently, both the Confederacy and Canada, due in part to Yamato's commitment to not obstruct general trade, continued trading exclusively with the Entente. Naturally, military units deployed on the Western Front and elsewhere ceased combat immediately and began returning to their home countries. Otherwise, they would risk a breach of the armistice, prompting a massive incursion by Yamato's formidable forces into both nations. In this context, the United States had the option of inviting the two nations to wage total war against Yamato. Yet, given the extremely high probability of Yamato victory and the potential diplomatic disadvantages for the Entente in the post-war era, the United States chose to remain uninvolved.

However, for the Entente, the gap left by the withdrawal of military forces from the Western Front by these two nations was a critical issue that could not be ignored. They no longer had the ability to replace the lost troops.

. . .

On the other hand, after joining the war, the Yamato Republic's actions as an Alliance power were not particularly active. There were several reasons for this. They had been specializing in conflicts on the North American continent, and even if they decided to deploy their navy, it wasn't feasible for them to conduct straightforward commerce raiding operations on the North American routes. Instead, they initially implemented traditional commerce raiding using surface ships, as it took around one month to prepare for full-fledged naval offensives. By the Yamato's forces began any activities beyond North America, intense developments were already occurring in Western Europe.

The situation saw Germany launching its high-stakes gambit known as Kaiserschlacht (the Kaiser's Battle). The German troops were determined to win, despite a weary German population.

Starting around the autumn of 1917, Germany had begun moving troops from the Eastern Front to other fronts. However, they still needed to allocate 28 divisions for the occupation of territories. Additionally, due to the Austrian army's struggles, forces were being diverted to the Italian front.

The Balkans could handle more responsibilities because the Japanese army was coming in from the east. Furthermore, the Italian army, already exhausted, had experienced significant success. However, the ultimate wish of the German army was to concentrate its efforts on the Western Front, which was supposed to be the decisive battleground.

As a result, troops equivalent to 45 divisions from the Eastern Front were eventually deployed to the Western Front, bolstering the German forces there to a total of 196 divisions. On the other side, the Entente on the Western Front, comprising French, British, Belgian, and Portuguese units, totaled approximately 150 divisions. The absence of around 10 divisions from the Confederacy and Canada each had a significant impact. Furthermore, both France and Britain had already exhausted their capacity to mobilize additional troops. Additionally, France had lost over a dozen divisions in the Battle of the Aisne without any actual combat.

Britain had isolated forces in India and the Middle East, units that couldn't be redeployed elsewhere, as well as troops stationed in Egypt at the Suez and in Thessaloniki on the Balkan Peninsula, confronting the enemy. If they were called back, they might have been able to provide ample reinforcements for the Western Front. However, facing the Japanese forces, which were in control and had the upper hand, these troops were already significantly insufficient. In fact, the Japanese forces were progressively shifting formerly required forces from Siberia to the Indian Ocean. It was also rumored that a full-scale invasion of the Indian mainland was imminent, given their complete control of the seas. Additionally, they were said to be sending supplies and weaponry from the Persian Gulf to Germany. This is why the Western Front was not a battleground they could afford to lose.

However, the Western Front was generally favorable for the defensive side, and it was believed that the Entente had a small chance of success in this regard.

And thus, on the Western Front, the German forces initiated their offensive.

. . .

The operation's codename was Kaiserschlacht, and it commenced on the Vernal Equinox of 1918.

The operation's objective was quite simple: "Aim for Paris." Emotionally speaking, it was no exaggeration to say that was the sole goal.

Based around the salient obtained from the French army in 1917, the primary focus of the operation was to break through the frontlines using new tactics and effectively crush the French forces. The intention was to disrupt the entire front before the Entente could send reinforcements and establish a new front in the rear. From a strategic standpoint, the objective was to shatter French morale and the spirits of their soldiers once and for all by capturing Paris this time.

Various tools enabling continuous breakthroughs had been assembled to a certain extent.

From Japan (including the Yamato Republic), a substantial number of motor vehicles, trucks, wheeled armored cars, and gasoline supplies were transported via the Siberian Railway and the Persian Gulf. This made it possible to supply and advance even in harsh terrains with no rail connections. Additionally, numerous heavy construction machinery, such as bulldozers and backhoes, were brought to the rear to fortify the advance routes. Some consider this as the beginning of mechanized combat engineering units.

Moreover, by March, a Japanese corps of around 10 divisions each had arrived primarily by rail in the Salonika Front in Serbia and the Northern Italian Front, taking over the frontlines from the German army. The proactive stance of Japan up to this point was unexpected for Germany, but the timing was greatly appreciated.

Thanks to Japan, the German army successfully secured nearly ten divisions of reserve forces, and Japan was strengthening its logistics lines while expanding its operations on the Balkan Peninsula. Additionally, Japan dispatched military attachés to the Western Front and stationed numerous liaison officers in Berlin and other locations. In 1918, Japan and Germany finally began to cooperate properly.

It wasn't due to a reluctance to engage in honorable combat, as suggested by official reasons, but rather, some believe it was rooted in the unwavering contempt the Germans held for people of non-white races, and the Japanese army's lack of experience in trench warfare that led to the reluctance to send Japanese troops to the Western Front. In reality, the correct answer is that it was difficult to deploy. Nonetheless, German people, especially at that time, were genuinely delighted by Japan's military assistance.

In general, sending troops to the Western Front is considered easy, but the truth is that it's just one part of the story. In reality, when the Japanese army advanced to the southern Balkan Peninsula, they encountered considerable difficulties, particularly in transporting their heavy equipment. The transportation of weapons, ammunition, and logistical supplies was a great challenge, given the massive consumption rates in Europe. Furthermore, the Germans couldn't practically assist with logistical and supply aspects, even though the Japanese army had come to their aid on a large scale. For Japan to secure its supply lines to the Western Front, it would have required another three to six months of negotiations with Germany.

While there was a surplus of troops, logistics, the most challenging issue, posed significant difficulties for Japan. This was exemplified by the fact that the number of soldiers in support roles behind the front lines was growing exponentially in comparison to those fighting on the front lines.

. . .

The first strike of Kaiserschlacht, which began on the Vernal Equinox, was carried out against the junction of British and French forces. This selection was based on the simple tactical advantage of the junction being an easier target, but it produced an unexpected outcome. The French and British forces fell into mutual suspicion. The French were concerned that the British prioritized defending their supply port in the English Channel over Paris, while the British had similar concerns about the French defending Paris.

Up until this point, the Entente lacked unified command on the Western Front, which had led to this situation. Nevertheless, amidst the construction of a unified command, centered around the French army, the German forces continued their advance.

The German forces had successfully utilized a large number of automobiles, preventing any issues like "march fatigue," which is essentially a shortage of supplies. The outdoor vehicles supplied in large numbers by the Yamato Republic showed excellent off-road capabilities and durability, defying even lunar-like terrains. The Germans were so impressed with their performance that they later referred to it as the "Toyota Offensive."

The German forces maintained a high rate of advance, contrary to the calculations of the Entente. Additionally, they couldn't adapt to the new infiltration breakthrough tactics developed by the German forces. This led to the complete breach of the French frontline, including the first and second lines, and even the rearward reserve positions.

At this point, there were no forces left to fill the considerable gap in the frontlines. Essentially, the outcome of the Western Front was decided at this moment.

The Germans continued their offensive by sending reinforcements faster than the enemy could. By mid-April, they finally reached the Paris defense perimeter. This location was even farther than where they had arrived during the initial offensive, and it was a place where one could reach Paris by foot, not needing a taxi. Naturally, the German forces' morale was immensely boosted.

The German forces were potentially at risk of encirclement due to the advanced vanguard. However, the Entente was in much greater disarray. In a desperate move, Portuguese forces were deployed as reinforcements but were vastly outnumbered and outmatched by the German forces. The Portuguese were quickly crushed, exacerbating the gap in the frontlines. This further spread confusion to the British forces who had used the Portuguese troops. Consequently, without being able to move the frontlines or rebuild defensive lines, the Entente was subjected to a second strike from the German forces. If the Confederacy and Canadian forces were present, they might have been able to put up a more robust defense.

By this point, the rotting door that was the Western Front was so dilapidated that it didn't need much of a push to fall apart entirely.

. . .

Paris declared itself an undefended city and fell on June 2.

For France, it was a humiliation not seen since 1871.

Simultaneously, the French military and government, whose morale had collapsed, proposed a "ceasefire" to Germany. At this time, Britain and other countries also jointly proposed a ceasefire to Germany and all the belligerent nations. Since the main front, France, had called for a ceasefire, other Entente nations no longer saw any point in continuing the fight. Moreover, both Britain and France were facing the imminent threat of starvation due to the Alliance's unrestricted submarine warfare.

Britain's actions, in addition to the massive ground offensive by the German forces on May 28 of the same year, also had a considerable impact on the ceasefire. In response to the diversionary sortie of the German High Seas Fleet that had launched simultaneously with the assault on Paris, Britain's Grand Fleet set out with full force. Using airships and aircraft to locate the enemy, it resulted in the Third Battle of Jutland, the final fleet engagement.

The number of battleships of dreadnought or above class was equal between Britain and Germany, both having 21 ships. Britain maintained an advantage in terms of ships with 15-inch guns, but it wasn't an extreme advantage due to the heavy armor of German ships.

In terms of overall defensive capabilities, the German Navy had the upper hand, while the Royal Navy believed it had an advantage in firepower with many 42 caliber 15-inch guns. The battleship forces were more or less evenly matched, and the intense artillery battle took place.

Britain had a significantly larger number of auxiliary vessels, but they were too numerous and disorganized, which made it impossible to conduct effective combat similar to the Japanese Navy in the Indian Ocean. This highlighted the effectiveness of the Japanese Navy's tactic, which prioritized the quality of its forces over quantity, more than numerical superiority.

. . .

And in terms of morale, the Germans had the upper hand in this battle. In Germany's case, it was a matter of extreme optimism that even if they lost an equal number of ships as the enemy, Japanese and Yamato naval forces would be dispatched to Europe soon, and eventually, they would be able to secure naval supremacy over Britain. Although, in reality, it would be quite challenging for the Japanese Navy, let alone the newly-formed Yamato Navy, to reach the Atlantic, this serves as an illustrative example of the stark contrast in morale. For the German Navy during this war, circumstances were unimaginable, as they could expect to receive reinforcements at sea and a Japanese Navy presence in Europe, which was unprecedented.

The battle itself consisted of a grand artillery and torpedo exchange from the frontlines as both sides refused to yield. Due to the large number of vessels on both sides compared to the one in the Indian Ocean, the battle was chaotic, and it was difficult to maintain controlled tactical actions. It was also challenging to achieve decisive results. And since battleships are basically unsinkable, both sides suffered several mission kills and many damaged ships, and the battle ended only violently with disappointing results for both sides.

However, the British population and frontline troops were significantly disappointed at the lack of a clear naval victory akin to the Battle of Trafalgar. It seemed as though the unthinkable had been psychologically proven: that an epic comeback was unattainable.

On the other hand, Germany was bolstered by the results of this battle. It effectively ended Britain's ability to maintain naval supremacy and gave Germany the motivation to believe that they were one blow away from breaking through the "bottom of the pot," Britain itself, which was further compounded by the fall of Paris, which was seen by many as a loss of strategic victory for the Entente.

. . .

The ceasefire was established on June 9. At this point, the Great War came to an end, marking a victory for the Alliance.

. . .

During this time, the Japanese military outside of Europe had a presence in nearly all of the Eurasian continent, extending along the eastern coast of Africa.

In Siberia, a significant military force was stationed to maintain security, as the repercussions of the Russian Revolution were still present.

In China, they had occupied several major cities, including Beijing.

In Europe, they had operations concentrated in the southern Balkan Peninsula.

They were also attacking the Entente throughout the entire Indian Ocean region, including the eastern coast of Africa.

While there was no invasion of South Africa, they occupied colonies of the Entente such as the Horn of Africa, Kenya, and Madagascar, and gradually secured these bases one after the other with a small number of forces.

Security in each colony was extremely lax, so the fighting in East Africa was sporadic. In many coastal areas, the mere sight of Japanese warships led to immediate surrender. The South Atlantic had become a playground for Japan's large warships. As the Japanese military prepared for a full-scale assault on mainland India and South Africa, the revenge of the Japanese people came to a somewhat anticlimactic end.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.6K 103 21
Alaina Skywalker never lived in the shadow of her older brother. She is just as quick, witty and unpredictable as Anakin. But as the days go on, the...
10.3M 771K 88
Marriage had always been my dream but not to a man about whom I know nothing. The moment my father fixed an alliance of me to a Prince without even t...
88.1K 2.4K 79
In all these years (probably more than 100 years exactly), The Philippines have finally left its development state. Debts - paid, Economy - booming...
531K 33.4K 122
A girl named Drishti falls into the era of Mahabharata and everything in her life goes upside down. Read to find out about Drishti's adventures in t...