Mafia's Mate (M Book1)

Par Chick_ennugget

Clio's life hasn't been easy and she'd like to keep her secrets to herself but even when she's trying to purs... Plus

Head Hunter
Betrayal
An unbelievable request
Matthew Merikh
Suspect
Wrong encounter
A bad start of the day
Suspicion
Party trouble
Chase
Avoiding trouble
Scoop trouble
His deductions
Her 'darling'
Release
Petty tasks
Office romance
What is happening?
Another job
Another Problem
Escape the club
Escape the men
Exhaustion
Sick
In sickness
Get well soon
Problems at hand
My heart is acting weird
City D
HeartBroken
Chance
Drop him back
Mine
Cheer up
Consolation Party
Saturday Meeting
His feelings?
Guest
Hide
Control
Suspect?
The door with a weird vibe
My little troublemaker
Unfortunate
Wake up
Sunday
Funeral
Video Leak
Hospital
Fight
Confront
Freak
Freak pt 2
Prime suspect
Reality
Volume 2- Trapped
Past
Bullies
Crime
Abnormal
Secrets
My secret
Misery
Run
They know
Doubt and guilt
Confession
Risk or trust
My father's ambitions
My identity
That day
Reassurance
Suspicion
Voice
Inspection
The odd questions
Tension
It seems I'm the only one who doesn't know
Dark revelations
Unnerve
Trap
Escape the killer
Caught
Case files
Case closed
Trouble begins
A kidnapping
Not human
Part of the Mafia
His home
New information
Help recover
What am I to you?
What I want
My feelings
Intimacy
The scars of his past
The scars of his past pt 2
Bastard
To the office
The one in trouble
The one in trouble pt 2
Free
Brutal Savior
Misfits of the moon pack
The Misfits in a peaceful place
Transform
Shift
His first
My name
My Missing Mother
Attack
Your biggest mistake
All of my fear
Finishing job
Healing
New beginnings
Azef

The Detective's favor

4.4K 174 16
Par Chick_ennugget

>>Clio

"How's the new job going?" Monday was here again and the anxiety was pulsing through my veins as I left my apartment.

"It's fine mom, it's only the second week." I made my way to the train station, "How are you doing? Is the hospital staff treating you fine?"

"Of course," Her voice was weak, "They're all wonderful here."

"I see," I was feeling anxious, I'm glad she had the staff call me, "That's good then,"

"You're going to work?"

"Yes," I answered, "I'm in City A right now, so I can't come to visit you." I'll go back to City D when I'm free.

"Oh," Her voice got even lower, "Well, I'll wait."

I nodded, "I'll be back soon." I ended the call and let out a deep breath. If Matthew gets in trouble, the company would automatically let me go.

Right?

As I reached the company, I paused when I saw the number of people sitting on the driveway. It made me smile because it was a bit ironic and I was well aware of what was happening.

Even though I reached my workplace early and thought I'd be fine, I seem to have momentarily forgotten that the reporters and paparazzi are always there before anyone else. I watched from behind the trees as they eagerly waited for their prey.

Then I let out a soft sarcastic chuckle.

This was my doing. I tapped my foot on the ground, I sent the data to Nolan and we got an exclusive scoop. He was happy but I didn't get to talk to him. He said he was personally going to see it edited and aired and that we'll talk later but I knew this was coming. All the agencies are hungry for news and updates after all.

I'm sure they're all waiting for Matthew and Azef to show up.

I kept walking. I caught the attention of the reporters and some of them stood up to watch me but as soon as they determined I was going in, they started swarming towards me and I made a run for it.

"Do you know Matthew Merikh!!" They shoved their mikes towards me.

"Do you work under him?"

"Did you know he was involved in illegal activities?!?!"

"Please, did working with him ever make you uncomfortable?"

"What kind of man is he?"

I kept my mouth shut and ran inside the building. The only rule reporters follow is that they don't trespass. Well, not where they'll get caught.

I glanced at the CCTV in the lobby and nodded at it proudly, then walked to the elevator.

The news was on, and it was NLN news ironically but something else bothered me when I saw that. Cherelle was making the report? Isn't she just supposed to be the secretary? Why is she on air?

"Currently the drug mafia seems to have disappeared and the police are trying to locate them. On the other hand, the man you all can see." The video played behind her, "This man is said to be the owner of the building mentioned in the documents where these transactions take place." There was a group of people sitting in a private lounge and my temporary boss could be seen walking by them, saying something to them while he was on his way. "His name is Matthew Merikh and he's the owner of one of the largest firms in the country, AM. He's said to be involved in illegal activities and drug dealings along with the Chinese mafia. This was Cherelle Zima, from NLN,"

I stared at the news as they aired the documents I had sent them but I didn't pay any attention to them. I was bothered by Cherelle, since when did she upgrade from a secretary to a news anchor? I didn't watch the news when it was aired because I already knew it was going to happen. Was she on air yesterday too?

"This is terrible," I heard Bizy's voice and looked to my side. A number of employees were here, "How did this happen?"

"Do you think it's fake?" Jacob asked and I looked back

"I hope it is," We all looked at Imani who was running towards us, she just came into the office, "The CEO is definitely not a drug dealer." Most of the staff members nodded at that. I guess they all trust him a lot...

But the documents aren't fake. I'm sure of that.

"What makes you think he isn't?" A calm voice raised a question and everyone looked at Dave

"Well, he doesn't look anywhere nearly like someone involved with drugs..." Imani answered.

"Drug lords don't use drugs themselves." Chris entered the office

"Yea," Lizzo agreed.

"Oh, dear..." Bizy seemed the most nervous, "There's an arrest warrant out for him."

"Do you think the boss made a run for it?" Jacob asked and everyone quieted down.

"Okay," Bizy clapped his hands, "Let's just get to work for now. The truth will come out eventually."

"What about the Chinese mafia?" Lizzo asked, "I've heard they're pretty brutal." I looked at him while he sat on his chair, "Do you think they'll harm the person who got this information out?" As whispers of the potential consequences reached my ears, my heart raced with trepidation. I knew the people would talk about it but I also knew that no one would know that I leaked the info to the press but still, this kind of talk made me uneasy.

"Maybe..." Jacob answered, "I've heard they're a nasty bunch." A surge of fear coursed through my veins.

"If they find whoever did it," Dave answered in a low tone, "We'll never see that person again." Everyone knew what he was implying but his words had the most impact on me, "And it might be someone from NLN since only they had the scoop." I felt my skin stand up in fear, and anxiety swirled inside me like a tempest but there was no turning back now, it was already done.

I'm sure no one will get to me. I was in disguise.

"Okay! Okay!" Bizy gestured to everyone to sit down, "Start working, enough chit-chat." And everyone took their seats and turned on their systems but I was very uncomfortable.

I glanced at the TV. News outlets had picked up the story, and it was spreading like wildfire. I gulped and looked down at my laptop.

The Chinese Mafia? Drug Dealings? I have never been in such murky waters before. Sure I've got corruption scoops of companies and celebrity scandals but to get involved with the darkest side of the world... This was a first and it was eating me up.

I came here to investigate a serial killer but ended up with a mafia scandal? What is happening here?

My heart was constantly beating at a higher rate and I kept thinking that I did good that I went to the party dressed as a woman. No one would recognize me, so no one would be able to find me, because that pretty curvy woman doesn't exist.

I started focusing on the work but we all would occasionally hear the mob outside of the building shouting, telling Matthew to show up and own up to his actions.

A few hours passed like that and just before lunch break, I raised my head and looked at the CEO's door. Neither the CEO nor the Director showed up. Did they really run away? Are they actually involved with the drug mafia?

I pursed my lips.

"Should we go eat?" Imani asked and everyone nodded but before we got to even stand up, a third party came into the office, swinging a handcuff on his index finger with a haughty smile plastered on his face.

"Well, well, well," It was a detective who walked over to the CEO's office and opened the door wide without anyone's permission, "I knew a day like this would come." Bizy wanted to stop him but paused the moment he saw the door open, just like the rest of us.

To our surprise, Matthew was sitting in his office chair behind the desk. It came as a surprise to all of us and we exchanged worried glances.

He was here the entire time!?!? But when did he get here? I was here first so did he come here at daybreak or something?? No, there could have been a reporter here at daybreak too since the news was released at eight yesterday night...

Was he here the entire time? Overnight?

"Why hello there," Matthew put on a smirk, "Detective Harou,"

"Come on," He walked to the desk, "Get up nicely and get yourself cuffed." Harou seemed like he was in a good mood, "And don't even try wiggling your way out. That building is owned by you."

"Oh well, I never denied that." Matthew remained calm, "That building is mine."

"Time to get you behind bars then."

"Detective," Matthew stood up, "You remember you owe me a favor, right?"

Harou paused and looked him dead in the eyes, "What? Don't tell me you want me to let you go?" The boss smirked in return.

"Oh no," For some reason he was relaxed, "I'm just reminding you, you owe me," He presented his wrists to him, "Just so that you don't forget."

Harou seemed ticked off by his words, "I remember," He slammed the handcuffs on his wrists, "But since you're mentioning it, I know you want something," He clicked the metal thing on both his hands.

"I do," Matthew began to move away from the desk and circled around it, only to come and stand next to the detective. All of us stared at them from outside, without moving or uttering a single sound.

"I want you to find someone for me," Matthew said, and they looked into each other's eyes. But just as I heard that, I felt something weird. I felt something bad coming my way.

"Who?"

"A woman," My heart skipped a beat and my eyes went wide.

Is he talking about me?

Harou raised his right brow at him, "A woman?"

The boss nodded, "A woman in a black cocktail dress." And a violent shiver ran down my spine.

He is talking about me!! Oh, My God!!! Shit!! I thought it was over when I didn't get a call from him or anyone. I thought he didn't recognize me.

I pursed my lips.

Well, he still hasn't, or he would have asked me something or said something! But on that same note, he hasn't let me go either.

The detective looked at him funny, "You got a name?"

Why?! My heart which had barely got itself to calm down flared up again. It started pounding in fear while I looked at the pretty duo in the office. Just why?!? Is it because he's sure I leaked those documents?! But wait, no... He was following me even before I was given that USB

Matthew smiled, "I got a video," And my skin stood up.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

7.6K 654 21
𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐎𝐧𝐞 𝐎𝐟 𝐓𝐨𝐮𝐜𝐡 𝐒𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 " 𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐰𝐞 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐞 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐞𝐨𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐝𝐞𝐬𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐥𝐢...
15.4K 564 43
When her mom gets arrested for a crime she committed, 17-year-old Xara is forced to leave her life behind and move to London to live with her dad. St...
6.3M 135K 52
𝐕𝐈𝐕𝐈𝐄𝐍𝐍𝐄 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐓𝐋𝐎𝐂𝐊 - all her hopes and dreams of running away from the luxurious lifestyle with her boyfriend are ruined when she fin...