A Tale Of Shadows (Wattys 202...

By Milicaorevi7

In a land called Obscuria, there is a war going on. The country is defenceless against a powerful enemy who's... More

Part 1, Chapter 1 - Farewell
Chapter 2 - The Great Battle
Chapter 3 - Trapped
Chapter 4 - The Meeting
Chapter 5 - Lesson One
Chapter 6 - The Royal Palace
Chapter 7 - The Search
Chapter 8 - Unexpected News
Chapter 9 - Clandestine Plots
Chapter 10 - Broken Faith
Chapter 11 - The Obscurian Field For Magic
Chapter 12 - Lesson Two
Chapter 13 - Memories
Chapter 14 - Spilling Secrets
Chapter 15 - The Reckoning
Chapter 16 - Punishment
Chapter 17 - Hatred
Chapter 18 - The Warning From Afar
Chapter 19 - The Great Fire
Chapter 20 - The Funeral
Part 2, Chapter 1 - The Wedding
Chapter 2 - The Royal Court
Chapter 3 - Surrender
Chapter 4 - The New Life
Chapter 5 - The Treacherous Deed
Chapter 6 - Damage Control
Chapter 7 - The Lover's Grave
Chapter 8 - The Library
Chapter 9 - Reformations
Chapter 10 - The Confrontation
Chapter 11 - Servitude
Chapter 12 - A Blossoming Love
Chapter 13 - The Coveted Realm
Chapter 14 - A Discarded Woman
Chapter 15 - Facing The Past
Chapter 16 - Transformation
Chapter 17 - Happenings In The Court
Chapter 18 - Affairs
Chapter 19 - The Winter Ball
Chapter 20 - Frost
Part 3, Chapter 1 - Forsaken
Chapter 2 - Revolution
Chapter 3 - Mrs Maguire
Chapter 4 - Leaps And Bounds Above
Chapter 5 - Friendly Advice
Chapter 7 - The Princess of Obscuria
Chapter 8 - The Battle of Peros
Chapter 9 - Obsession
Chapter 10 - Gossip
Chapter 11 - The Spells From Shadows
Chapter 12 - Reaching For The Light
Chapter 13 - Best Served Cold
Chapter 14 - Revelations
Chapter 15 - Rift
Chapter 16 - The Last Conquest

Chapter 6 - The Coronation

3 0 0
By Milicaorevi7

The war between Obscuria and Eade was hardly a war. Although there were some battles in which Melinda could not win, Eade was not much of a militant state, and that, combined with Melinda's experience in battle, ensured their defeat. She would then go on to conquer the rest of the continent with ease, especially because the resources of Eade, which was one of the bigger states, were in her possession. Iuvat was one of the largest continents in the world, which was why she considered three years an impressive timeframe to conquer it within. It was not as if she could do it for much longer either since all that conquering had its cost, and she was immensely glad to be able to stop warring for a while. And, several days after she took control of the last defiant state, she woke up early to get ready for her coronation.

The sun shone through the curtains in her bedroom, putting a smile on her face. As the birds started singing under her windows, she yawned and stretched her hands, getting out of bed without hesitation. Her maid came in right after, carrying a blue and golden dress, for those were the official colours of Iuvat. She had some difficulties thanks to the enormous length and width of the skirt, which was reflected in her stilted movement, and, for a moment, the soon-to-be Empress saw her shiver when she was about to drop it on the floor, which, luckily, did not happen.

"Jane," Melinda spoke while the maid was helping her put the dress on. "After the preparation for the coronation is done, we must pay a quick visit to the concentration camp Randall Carson is in. I am certain that you must be confused, but let me explain. I know that no one respects the poor, and for a good reason, but even criminals deserve our sympathy from time to time. They are people too, after all. I would not want them to miss out on a celebration like this. You see what I am trying to do now, right?"

Jane smiled at her. "I see it now, madam. You are so kind."

Melinda giggled. "Thank you, Jane. It is my honour to serve this country."

"You are welcome," said Jane, and soon after, they were finished with the dress.

That, together with finding the right gloves, shoes and makeup, took an hour to do. Upon looking at the mirror, Melinda saw that she resembled a majestic peacock, and her smile widened. Her eyes were shining like stars, which Jane complimented together with her attire. But there was no time for idleness, so the two of them rushed to the concentration camp in a carriage, not noticing that Gilbert was glaring at them this time as well, and he and Jane stayed in there, waiting for Melinda to do what she had to do.

She accidentally slammed the door when she walked in, making the heads of all the slaves turn towards her as soon as she entered the building, their faces pale and their eyes wide open. There was a radiant smile on her face, at which they raised their eyebrows, turning to each other to whisper about why she could be smiling. Somewhere around a minute later, she reached Randall, who had just finished his porridge, the smell of which she had gotten used to. Staring at her blankly, he asked the following question:

"What are you doing here, Mrs Bellerose?"

She laughed. "There is no need for concern, sir. All I want is for you and your friends to come with me because I am feeling kind today. You do not need to change, and I will explain everything to the other guests."

Randall furrowed his eyebrows. "Is this a trap, madam? What are your intentions?"

Melinda laughed once again. "Even if it were a trap, I would not tell you. Besides, do you not have faith in me? Is there any harm in letting you enjoy a celebration for once?"

Randall placed two fingers on his chin. "I suppose you are in the right. After all, it is only natural to be kind at least sometimes, even when it comes to the worst of us."

Melinda's facial expression turned grave. "Guards will be awaiting all of you in an hour. Farewell until then, and I hope your time there will be nice."

"Farewell," Randall said in a raspy voice as she was leaving the building.

When the guards allowed him and his fellow slaves to walk into the throne room, he observed how beautiful everything looked. The new throne, which was placed opposite the door, was made out of cherry wood, a bit taller than the old two thrones, lined with gold and sapphires, and near it lay a sceptre of similar design. The floor was covered in petals plucked from numerous periwinkles and yellow roses, which were also the types of flowers hanging from the planters attached to the walls, as well as the ceiling. No matter how hard he tried, Randall could not escape the scent of those flowers due to the sheer amount of them, not that he wanted to, for their enchanting aroma brought a smile to his face for a moment. There was also a long white table in one of the corners, on which a lot of different foods and drinks were placed, and even though the foods were mostly familiar, the drinks were not. While he was looking around the room, Melinda walked over to him, smiling brightly.

"Hello, Randall. There is a table full of treats over there," she chirped, pointing towards the table. "Concerning drinks, we have got several types of champagne and wine, which is all you need to know because I do not have the time to explain alcohol to you. There are also juices and, of course, water. If you have anything to ask, just go to a guard. Enjoy the ceremony."

Despite her seeming friendly, he still felt that she was mocking him in some way he could not quite grasp, especially with those last three words. However, he did not wish to tire himself with thinking about what could be on her mind, and since she showed no signs of malice, that would have been paranoid as well, and being paranoid was never the solution, no matter how dire the situation. He walked over to the table, grabbed himself a glass of fig juice while taking the time to be impressed with the design of the glasses, and when he was done with the juice, he left the glass on the table due to the ceremony having started. Standing in front of Melinda, who was standing in front of the throne, with all the others, he listened to every word with unwavering attention.

Jane, who was holding the crown, which had blue and yellow sapphires on it, in her hands, began to speak:

"These recent few years have been rather turbulent, and it is a truth that none of us can escape. However, even in all the darkness that surrounds us, rays of light shine through. Good is still upheld in this world, especially by Queen Melinda of Obscuria, whom I am glad to serve and crown here and now. There are none better than her for this position, despite her having made some obvious mistakes in her judgment, for we are all bound by the limitations of our hearts and mortal lives to never achieve perfection, which is why it is very impressive for her to have come close to achieving it. Before she can officially become Empress of Iuvat, she will pledge her oath, which shall be heard at this moment."

Melinda smiled at her. "Thank you. By the Holy Book of Xar, I swear to resurrect the great empire that once was, bursting with gold and life and progress, where the ground never thirsts for blood and corpses do not rot in the woods, where every citizen is considered equal regardless of their circumstances, where words are an art that never dies, where promises are a magnificent fountain that never dries up. Regardless of what I say or do, one thing will always remain constant: the kindness and justice I gift my fellow living beings for nothing in return, pleased to spread joy and happiness to those who deserve it, not willing to give it up for anything in the world. In the years that come, everything will become better, and my justice shall spread furthermore. Advancement is already ahead of us, and you will not have to wait long to see it, not with me on this throne."

Everyone in the throne room smiled and clapped as the crown was put on her head, even the slaves, for they knew what they would have gotten if they did not. She then sat on the throne and held the sceptre while the others were moving away from her, waiting for the man who was going to paint her portrait. In the meantime, she pondered what she had said. Lies beyond her ability to count were contained in this little speech alone, and in a way, it felt releasing to get the crown by fooling her people. All she had to do now was sit there like a statue with a stern facial expression that screamed power, confirming her status once more in an immortal painting that was to have a gilded frame, as priceless as she was. Any person who walked through the castle would have to see it at least once, the umpteenth reminder of her influence and position. She was struck with immense pride of how far she had come just from imagining that.

Her portrait was beautiful and the day was beautiful and, at midnight, she went to sleep in her completely dark room without sorrow in sight. There, with her eyes closed, she saw something the likes of which she had never seen before, not sure if it was a dream or if it was real or if perhaps it was a strange combination of the two. She was walking around a shadowed hallway of a palace that had been in ruins for centuries, her boots echoing against the cold marble floor, the dress she had received as Empress dragging along and slowing her down. For a while, no one else was around, and she was in complete silence, but after a while, she heard several voices whispering above her head, which sounded like one. She could not immediately recognise the words, but the moment she did, she knew that they were in the Xarian language, all of them countless curses that she could not remember due to the speed they were spoken at. She stood behind a marble pillar, waiting for what they would do next, and she did not have to wait long. After several minutes of haunting her, they decided to speak in English, and she could hear an old man hollering at her in it. From there, she listened to everything he had to say, painstakingly trying not to lose focus.

"Do you hear us?!" the old man screamed, walking closer to her, completely obscured except for his dark brown eyes, wooden crown and white robe, allowing her to recognize him as Vladimir Koran, the first emperor of Xar. "Do you know why we are here?! We are here to record the lies which you have spoken about us and yourself over the years so they may never be forgotten. Do not think that we have not heard your pretty, poisonous speech. Our souls are cursed to be forever awake and bound to this palace in order to observe how those who came after us handle the throne. Your evil is now engraved into our history, the customs you modified for your selfish needs, as well as our minds, which shall never recover from it. I do not know what the most painful death is, nor does anyone who lives, but justice does, and justice will ensure that you receive it one day."

She sighed, sad about having to argue with the first Emperor, whom she admired, but if she had to, she would, and she would not back down, thus she spoke with newfound determination:

"Do not pretend to be a saint, Vladimir Koren. We both know that being a mighty and glorious ruler requires endless spilt blood, and you never would have been the first Emperor of Xar had you not murdered countless people you had never encountered before, people who were down on their knees, absolutely desperate, begging for mercy. It is certain that you established an efficient system that promoted justice, but there was a price that had to be paid for that. The slavery you consider sinful is a sacrifice of similar origin. I only enslaved the dirty parasites of our society who could commit crimes at any time and who would have caused a lot of trouble for me in freedom, for they are the most desperate ones, and despair brings forth wickedness. Does that help you understand me better?"

A window opened out of nowhere, and she could feel the cold winds of the night slapping her in the face. "I told you that we, the Emperors and Empresses of Xar, record everything. That is why you remind me of my wretched brother Branislav and his wife Maya. In the beginning, you knew that the poor are not to blame for anything and are merely the easiest victims to pick, but your cycle of lies has become so tangled that you believe that they are the parasites of society. How many lies of yours will you start believing in by the end of your reign? Believing those you already believe in has made you a worse person, and I do not want to know how worse you could become thanks to them, therefore I must leave with the others. Now sleep, and I hope that sometime soon, you will not live to wake up from it."

The moment the spirits left, she forcibly opened her eyes, her face pale, gasping for air. She had not looked at her soul in years due to the detachment from the need for that, and in that vision, she could feel it in the air. Cold sweat was running down her back, and, her hands trembling from the weakness that grew within her, she drank all the water from the tall glass that was on her nightstand in one go, miraculously falling asleep the moment after she left the empty glass where it had previously been. She dreamt of nothing but the void, and in that void, she did not have to worry about anything.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

251 31 30
The story of bullying and romance and gangs. And abuse. It shows how any life can get out of hand. "My boyfriends father is choking me! Because I wo...
849 120 34
BOOK NUMBER 1 OF 12 IN THE MULTIMAGICAL SERIES BY LILLIAN R.S. ☆☆☆ Emeline Orman was sixteen when she and her parents moved across the country to t...
48.6K 3K 25
(FREE on Amazon) "The darkest shadows hide beneath the brightest lights." Estra would never forget the night she lay in smoldering ash and watched w...
60.2K 2.7K 57
He's always lurking in the shadows, always watching. She can feel his presence constantly, but she can tell no one. She is alone. The kingdom rests o...