The Rift Trials

By BeyondWriting01

When man becomes too powerful for his own good the results can be catastrophic. That's what happened during t... More

Chapter 1: Earth
Chapter 2: Dreailight
Chapter 3: Earth
Chapter 5: Earth
Chapter 6: Dreailight
Chapter 7: Earth

Chapter 4: Dreailight

211 7 6
By BeyondWriting01

Audio by Audiomachine - Wars of Faith
It's just an awesome soundtrack ^_^ Listen for awesome effect while you read!

Recap:
A blast of light burst out from a pond in the middle of the forest surrounding Gemini and her husband, Sangrid's, castle. They then embarked to check out the source of the light after Gemini told him that she was having dreams about someone. While on their journey fog began to thicken around them and Gemini became separated. A person who calls himself Shadow appears and says he needs to show her something.

~

Gemini peered into the darkness that surrounded her. Shadow, her guide, moved like a serpent through the tendrils of mist and fog, it wrapped around him masking his movements and form. She followed after dismounting leaving her horse as he would go no further.

Once she unlaced her sword from its secure knots bound to her saddle and strapped it to her belt. She hurried following Shadow, her eyes trying to follow his movement but found it impossible, he was swift and moved like the mist itself.

The only indication of Shadows presence were the moving branches and rustling leaves, as there was no wind the only movement would be from Shadow.

The forest seemed to narrow up into a point atop a mountain where two pillars rested, pillars of great magnitude and ancient might. The foreground before them was covered in small shrubs and grass, a single dirt path lead up between each one and down the other side. Trees tall in stature flanked each one creating a natural walkway over the top of the forest and back into the forest below. It was a sight to behold, it's mezmerizing structure and height was unlike anything she had seen before, one she would not likely forget.

"Through there," said Shadow gliding up the mountain as if walking on air. It amazed her, seemingly graceful and effortless he did so, it was almost peaceful to watch. She quietly followed up and stood between each one, turning she faced in the direction of her beloved castle and safe haven. A gasp left her lips as it was nowhere to be seen, only forest and trees in every direction. The sky above was beginning to change its color from darkness and stars to whispers of pink, yellow, and orange about the horizon. The clouds began to move across they sky lighting up as they did, amazing colors filled her eyes.

"How far have we come?"

"Further than you may have expected, this point is the border between your kingdom and..." He trailed off. Her face suddenly changed, her soft features straitening into frowns.

"No, this cannot be his."

"This is the door between your world and that of another, one you know of but have never seen, one someone spoke of long ago, someone you once loved. It has been closed for some time."

"Do not remind me of that time!" She snapped into the darkness, Shadow was nowhere to be seen and his voice seemed to echo all round her.

"As I remember he did tell you of such a place."

"Yes, he did. But I want nothing to do with it!" She stormed down the mountain stopping halfway and turning, "Is this what you wanted to show me? Did you bring me all this way just to tell me something I already know?" The memories of the one they spoke of flooded back in her mind, all the years of hurt he had caused her, it all rushed back like a wave pounding against the shore.

"No, not only this but another place. I only show things to explain further ones, this place was the first, made long ago by a rip between worlds."

"No! I'm not going to follow you all over this place in search of places, I need to get back home! I need Sangrid..." She finished whispering the last words, her eyes teared up only to be wiped away by a gentle breeze.

"Do you not wonder what the light was? I know you more than you know yourself."

"And how is that possible!" She confronted crossing her arms. Inside she knew he was right, but she dared not trust him, she had done that already and to her extent.

"Because you told me."

"No I didn't! I never told you I wanted to see! I said..." She then noticed her mistake and sighed. A grin crossed his hooded face as he now walked into the clearing, the moon shining upon them both spreading its glow around them.

"It doesn't matter," she said turning, "I'm going back." He spread his arms to his sides palms up.

"Very well, but I must warn you, this choice may not be the right one." She stopped and turned in her foot stomping the other down, her head was slightly raised in an heir of authority.

"And if it is the correct choice?"

"Then I wish you good fortune. May you reach home safely." He said, the mist began to wrap around him, it's talons engulfing his body until he vanished along with it. She sighed walking back down the hill.

She walked through the forest aimlessly, her sense of direction all but lost, the forest was a twisting labyrinth of paths and streams. She didn't remember ever crossing a particular one she now came upon, its waters like crystal, the moon shining off the water causing the entire river to glow in a radiance she had only dreamt of. She crossed through it wetting her, an unwise decision but one she had no choice but to do.

"Sangrid!" She yelled, somehow she hoped he would hear her cries, she needed him, the shadow had only brought her heart ache and bad memories, those that only Sangrid knew of. A tear fell from her face only the sadness suddenly changed into wonder and curiosity. A light suddenly appeared in the forest just beyond her, it seemed to radiate upwards from the forest floor and into the trees and sky above. She quickened her pace hoping to reach the light before it disappeared.

As she approached he began to hear swirling sounds, the sound of swirling water or the bubbling of a stream or brook. Quietly, she snuck closer now in a crouch, if there were people she didn't want them to know her presence, for they may be enemies to her kingdom. The closer she came she could barely make out the features of the glow of its source, it was all being blocked by a thick wall of bushes and small trees. The shill of metal on metal was heard as she drew her blue-tinted sword, she admired its beauty before turning her focus back upon the glow. Peering through the natural barrier she beheld a mesmerizing sight.

Amidst the small clearing rested a small pond, everything about it was unlike any other pond. Its waters thrashed around in multiple swirls and waves. Although it was no bigger than the length of a full-grown man its depth was far beyond any pond should.

"What? What kind of magic is this?" She stepped forward kneeling down beside its waters. Placing her sword beside her she slowly put her hand amidst its fury. Her eyebrows narrowed in a frown, the water was naturally warm and seemed to never touch her skin, moving her hand around she noticed it began to glow.

"This water, I've never seen anything like it!" She pulled her hand out but noticed that no water had soaked or even touched her.

"Truly fascinating isn't it?"

She jolted up, her hand instinctively grabbing her sword. Her whole body was tense and ready for any movement.

"Calm yourself, it's only me," Shadow said stepping inside the clearing, "you found what I was to show you."

Gemini relaxed a little but still held her sword tip down beside her. "What is it you want!?" Shadow chuckled amused by her fierce remarks.

"I want nothing in particular, I was only told to show you this."

"And what of it!?"

"This is the second rip, it was opened by a disturbance not here but in the other world. The arrogance of man can be deadly."

"What do you mean? And what's a rip? You mentioned it before."

"That is all I will say."

"You won't answer me?"

"I already have." He stepped backwards into the tree line and vanished. Gemini stood staring into the pool, it's swirling colors held so many questions as no force even seemed to move the waters.

"I have to find my husband." She heard a snort behind her followed by the clopping of hooves.

"Gemini? Sangrid! I've found her!" She turned seeing the rider, a knight of her kingdom.

~

Well! Gemini has found the pool of mystical waters! What do you think of it? And once again we still do not know the identity of Shadow.

I hope you loved this one! Please comment your thoughts on this chapter as well as vote if you liked it! Until next time...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 250 21
Published: 10-April-2020 Prologue: "He was an old man, probably died on his own. Did the letter say that he was killed?" I was asked. When I heard wh...
13.6M 674K 191
Ara, the only woman left alive after a plague, is searching for a way to save humanity. She thinks there isn't a man she can trust, until she meets K...
96K 7.3K 42
All he had, was a loving family and a little princess. He was happy in his small world, but there was a void. A little place for a partner. She coinc...
33.6K 1.7K 27
When ten teenagers living a regular life found a mysterious book while walking home from school.They brought it in and it looked like the book hasn't...