Lavender & Ice

Von RBecMarie

Ashima has dreamed of space exploration her entire life. Finally embarking on her first mission, her excite... Mehr

Intro!
1. Lift Off
2. Crash Landing
3. Close Encounters
4. Waking Up
5. Home Away From Home
6. A Rough Start
7. Introductions
8. An Injury
9. Exploration & Confrontation
10. Roles Reversed
11. Expanding the Palate
12. Breaking the Dam
13. Warm Feelings
14. Progress
15. Stockholm?
16. Conversation
17. Answers
18. Exploration
19. The Harsh Truth
20. Frustration
21. A New Danger
22. The Brothers
23. Meeting the Family
24. A Warning
25. Response from the Homeland
26. Arrival at the Homeland
27. Meeting The Premier
28. Answering the King and Queen
29. Zein's Vengeance
30. A Not So Happy Reunion
31. The Brothers Questioned
32. Reunited
33. First Look at the Homeland
34. Spending the Day Together
35. You're a what?!
36. Is This a Date?
37. Taking a Leap
38. The Truth Comes Out
39. Searching
40. A New Dwelling
41. Contact
42. Joreth's Decision
43. Heartbreak
44. Aftermath
45. Nothing Good
46. Another Foe?
47. Running out of Time
48. A Cruel Reunion
49. Rahn's POV
50. Where do we go from here?
Author's Note / 2nd Book

51. A New Family

4K 167 17
Von RBecMarie

"We can't trust a word she says."  Thala argues. "How can we know if anything she promises is true? We know nothing of that planet's habits and customs, what if it is common to be manipulative and backhanded?"

"And her act of goodwill?" Othen questioned.

Thala scoffed. "Of course she'd try anything to get in our good graces, especially when she hardly had a choice."

"Good Point." General Garen agreed. "We should ask-"  His words were cut off as the door opened abruptly and two figures walked in.  "Ashima, my dear!" Garen stood and greeted her happily.

"Greetings Garen." She offered him a smile before turning to the other members of the Premier.  "Greetings everyone."  

"Greetings Ashima, thank you for joining us." Japheth said as he and Thala stood and nodded their heads in greeting. "Greetings Kietnan."

After pleasantries were exchanged The Premier were all seated at their usual spots around the large table, with Ashima sitting beside Kietnan.

"Ashima I'm sure you're curious as to why we've asked you to join this meeting." Thala began.

"Is there development in the investigation?" Ashima asked in response.

Thala gave a short nod. "Perhaps. We're not entirely sure.  I'll let Kahal fill you in." 

"Right." Kahal shifted. "As you know, questioning the traitors we caught didn't initially bring forth much information. And while we chose not to message the Aerulians ourselves, we did leave the beacon on and open in case they tried to message us." Ashima nodded, listening eagerly. "Early this morning, before first light, we received a message from them."

Ashima gasped while Kietnan muttered. "Took them long enough."

"Well? What did they say?" She asked.

"The message said it was from their Prime Minister, which we understand would be their high leader, correct?"

"Yes. That's correct! A message from the Prime Minister herself? That's unusual, it's my understanding she doesn't communicate directly very often. If at all."

"Oh? That's interesting." Japheth commented and Thala nodded in agreement.

"Yes, well." Kahal continued. The text basically said when the Aerulian team returned, one of them felt guilty and reported all of the events to their higher authorities.  They extend their sincerest apologies. And they're conducting internal investigations to prevent any further incidents.  As an offering to bring our planets back to peaceful terms, they're asking to send gifts in the form of an updated communication system and any supplies their planet may be able to offer in aid for any needs we have. You're more familiar with the Aerulians than we are, what is your opinion? Do you think the message is truthful?"

Ashima's eyes rounded that they'd want her opinion on such a matter.  She looked to Kietnan who she could tell was deep in thought. He placed a hand on top of hers that sat on her leg under the table and gave her a supportive nod.

She drew in a deep breath and straightened her shoulders to settle her nerves. "I've never communicated with the Prime Minister or any of her direct staff. As far as I'm aware, not even my highest supervisors have. I have witnessed interactions with some members of management within their planetary relations team, though."  She paused, thinking through her memories.

"Ever since that whole ordeal with them on this planet, I've been thinking through all the interactions I had with them in the past, and any recordings I'd studied in my training that I could remember. I've been trying to think of any signs of their people being two faced or backhanded."

"What does this, two faced, mean?" Othen asked.

"Obviously warriors who have scarred half of their faces in battle." Garen puffed out his chest as if he'd won a competition. "Such would be signs of a people experienced in battles."

Ashima couldn't help the slight chuckle that left her lips.  "Actually." She bit her lip, not wanting to embarrass the general, who had decided he was her honorary guardian now.  She was quickly beginning to think of him as her long lost uncle figure. "It is an earth expression that means a person or group of people are known for lying in a way to hide who they really are.  How to explain...like someone who acts as if they are nice and caring when in reality they are deceiving you because they have ill intentions and want you to keep your guard down."

"Ah!" Garen hit the table with his palm. "Dishonorable." He grumbled.

Ashima nodded along with all the others present. 

"Did you think of anything?" Joreth asked.

Ashima shook her head. "No, not really.  They were never overly nice, nor overly rude. Just seemed like an interesting group of beings to people on earth. But it's not like we had anything to compare them to, we'd never interacted with any people from other planets.  Besides, if there were such incidents, my people wouldn't have openly shared them anyway.  They just wanted the Aerulians to keep helping us make headway into space travel."

"What did the Aerulians get in return?" Japheth asked.

Ashima shrugged. "We were told they simply enjoyed meeting new species and learning about them. But they very well could have been given some form of payment from my planet's governments. My government likes to keep their secrets. I'm sorry, I don't seem to be helping much."

"It is alright. You have shared what you can." Garen assured her. "But let us know if you think of anything further." Ashima nodded in agreement.

"Now that everyone is present and we have all the information possible, let's discuss next steps." Thala began.

Japheth continued. "Do we simply ignore the message and move on with our lives as we always have... or do we send a message in response? And if so, what response do we give?"

"Ignore them." Garen said quickly, while getting a nod of agreement from Joreth.

"In an effort to keep relations as peaceful as possible, perhaps we respond with a simple thank you for your words.  We have no needs at this time. And then be done with it." Thala countered.

Othen countered with a third option.  "Let's imagine, for a moment, that she is being honest. Should we not at least spend some time considering her offer? If any other incidents occur, it would be beneficial to have a communications device. Perhaps one that would reach planets other than Aerulia.  Ashima had mentioned the other planet nearby that she was supposed to originally visit. Of course, to be used only in an emergency."

Silence covered the room as everyone considered this idea.

"I propose we think on this and reconvene tomorrow for a mid-day meal. I would like time to consider possibilities." Kietnan spoke up for the first time. "And I'd like to question a few of the traitors again, I think this message might be the leverage we need to get at least one of them to talk."

"My dear nephew, it's good to have you back."

Ashima's brows bunched up in confusion as she looked from Garen to Kietnan.

"What my uncle is trying to say," Kahal explained. "Is that Kietnan has a gift for strategy and seeing patterns and opportunities where others do not." 

When Ashima still looked confused, Joreth added. "Since no one else wants to explain, I guess I will be the honest one, as always."

"The rude one." Othen corrected, the edge of his lips turning up slightly before his features returned to being impassive.

Joreth shook his head as if disappointed, not offended. "Kietnan has been useless in the mind since you showed up." He pointed to his brother. "He needs to claim you as his-"

"Joreth." Kahal scolded.

Kietnan chuckled lightly before bringing their joined hands from under the table to rest on top for all to see. "I have. This morning, before we came here." He smiled at Ashima.

"And she agrees?" Thala asked, her hands clasped in front of her.

Kietnan nodded. "She agrees. We are life partners.  And we plan to have a formal ceremony but have not yet set a date."

Thala jumped from her seat and clasped her hands together in excitement, a smile covering her face. The men in the room all stood and nodded their heads, sharing words of congratulations.

"We have so much to plan! Oh, Ashima, I have much to share with you about our customs and traditions. And I want to hear all about your human customs."

Ashima nodded eagerly. "Of course, I would love that." She beamed, so happy she was getting along well with her soon to be mother in law over these last few weeks.  It had been a long road to forgiving Kietnan's parents, and she felt she still had a long way to go before she fully trusted them, yet she knew they had good intentions and loved their sons.  She was confident in time they would be close.

"And if we decide to contact them, I would like for us all to consider the possibility of asking the Aerulians to send a message to Ashima's grandfather for us."

Ashima's eyes rounded and locked onto Kietnan as he looked down lovingly at her, an audible gasp escaping her lips as her eyes began to water.

"To let him know you are safe and happy, yes?"

Ashima couldn't form words around the emotional knot in her throat as she nodded eagerly. The only part of her that was sad about starting her new life here was the thought of never seeing her grandfather again and him worrying she was unhappy, hurt, missing, or dead. She would still love to see him again, but getting a message to him would be a huge relief off of her shoulders.

"Of course, we will have to discuss whether or not it is safe to send such a message." Garen responded.

"Of course." Kietnan nodded as he squeezed Ashima's hand under the table, offering her the support she needed.

The family quickly moved to other topics as they finished their meal.  As Ashima looked around the room she continued struggling to hold back the tears in her eyes as she smiled. This room was filled with joy and love. Even if they didn't show it as clearly and as often as she had been accustomed to, she could see clearly enough. This was a big, loving and caring family. No matter what they faced in life, no matter the arguments they had, they always did everything they could to support each other and their people.  And she was going to be part of it.

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

255 20 31
Alex Sorenson has finally realized his lifelong dream - to become a Scoutship Pilot. The best of the best, pushing the edges of Human claimed space...
8 0 5
Current WIP of an upcoming series of novels. Ryver Zhua has adapted to her life as a nomadic trader through the galaxy, though her desire for advent...
241K 3K 15
Jennie Wardson got stuck doing night shift duty at her job. Which is out in the middle of no where. She dreams of aliens, but never thought she would...
128K 5.3K 36
Ava is a human that has never been to earth. That is because a few decades before she was born, the earth became unlivable. All of the governments ca...