Lavender & Ice

By RBecMarie

Ashima has dreamed of space exploration her entire life. Finally embarking on her first mission, her excite... More

Intro!
1. Lift Off
2. Crash Landing
3. Close Encounters
4. Waking Up
5. Home Away From Home
6. A Rough Start
7. Introductions
8. An Injury
9. Exploration & Confrontation
10. Roles Reversed
11. Expanding the Palate
12. Breaking the Dam
13. Warm Feelings
14. Progress
15. Stockholm?
16. Conversation
17. Answers
18. Exploration
19. The Harsh Truth
20. Frustration
21. A New Danger
22. The Brothers
23. Meeting the Family
24. A Warning
25. Response from the Homeland
26. Arrival at the Homeland
27. Meeting The Premier
28. Answering the King and Queen
29. Zein's Vengeance
30. A Not So Happy Reunion
31. The Brothers Questioned
32. Reunited
33. First Look at the Homeland
34. Spending the Day Together
35. You're a what?!
36. Is This a Date?
37. Taking a Leap
38. The Truth Comes Out
39. Searching
40. A New Dwelling
41. Contact
42. Joreth's Decision
43. Heartbreak
44. Aftermath
45. Nothing Good
46. Another Foe?
47. Running out of Time
48. A Cruel Reunion
49. Rahn's POV
51. A New Family
Author's Note / 2nd Book

50. Where do we go from here?

3.2K 171 36
By RBecMarie

"What is Zein saying?" Joreth asked

"Nothing yet." Kahal answered.

"Of course not." Othen scoffed. "What about the others?"

After Ashima tackled Zein, a string of men and women had rushed forward in his support and just like that, a battle had begun right on the Premier platform in the middle of the gaudir that was supposed to be a symbol of united harmony for the Qarthan people.

"They all have plenty to say, just nothing useful. Apparently they're all angry over how weak and complacent we have become. After these past few days, I'm inclined to agree with their assessment." Kahal sighed. "We will have to make some adjustments to do better in the future."

"Agreed." His brothers said in unison.

"It feels like we are helpless, knowing the Aerulians were able to just take off into the air and leave into space and we had no way of stopping them."

The brothers all nodded and transitioned into a comfortable silence, each of them thinking of everything that had happened leading up to Zein's attack a few hours prior. They were sitting side by side on a far wall of The Premier's personal medical ward. It had never been used for anyone outside of The Premier but, given the circumstances, they couldn't know who to trust and wanted to keep the three unconscious bodies close by.

Sudden movement and some quiet groans had everyone in the room looking toward the bed on the far right of the room.

"Sshhh, sssshhh Shima, take your time. You're safe. You're safe." Kietnan spoke softly to her as he brushed the hair from her face with his fingers. When Ashima kept groaning but not opening her eyes, he climbed onto the small bed with her and cocooned her with his body. "You're safe, I'm with you." He kissed her temple as he held her. "I'm with you." He whispered again.

The brothers moved their eyes away from the couple as Ashima drifted back into a more restful sleep. Kietnan following her shortly after as he still embraced her.

Soon after, Joreth said his goodbyes, leaving to go join his wife and child at their dwelling. Othen decided to walk him out, and then he too would turn in for what was left of the night.

Kahal watched over the four sleeping figures in the room, contemplating all the ways they could improve on their security, and their defense strategies and procedures to prevent something like this from happening again. They were so close to disaster. As he felt himself dozing off in his chair, he stirred at the sound of the door creaking open.

"How are they?" Queen Thala asked.

"The same, my lord." Kahal offered. "Ashima stirred at some point, but never fully woke. She seemed to be in pain or having a nightmare. Or both." He pointed toward her bed that was now occupied with two sleeping figures. "He calmed her down."

"He's finally getting some rest, I see." Japheth gave a small smile.

Kahal nodded. "You should get some rest too." Thala sat beside her son, offering him a nod before turning to watch Kietnan sleep.

Kahal's eyes moved to the woman on the far left of the room, bruises covering her head and body as she slept. "I will. I just worry there's something we're missing. Without having the full story, I can't feel they're truly safe."

"That's why there are four guards, son." Japheth motioned to the two guards standing on either side of the door, two other guards would be mirroring them on the other side, Kahal knew. On the far left side of the room, two medical attendants were checking charts and lab results, making plans for treatment for when the patients woke up. 

"A lot of good that did us at the gaudir. All of those people who attacked us were guards."

"This is true." Japheth said as he sat on the other side of Kahal, not by his wife. An action the eldest son noted as unusual. A sideways glance at the Queen showed a brief crack in her impassive features; she had noticed the King's slight toward her as well. Interesting.

"My son." Japheth put his hand on Kahal's shoulder, bringing his full attention to his father. "Given how poorly recent events were handled and the fact that I am not getting any younger, it is time we discuss my retirement."

Kahal's eyes rounded in surprise before he quickly schooled his features and let Japheth continue. "The trials are over, every requirement is complete, and you have shown yourself worthy. It is time we make plans for you to claim your title."

Kahal thought for a moment before opening his mouth to speak. But before he could, their attention was pulled to shouts coming from outside the room, both from outside the door and from the courtyard below the room's windows.

"See what it is." Japheth commanded the guards at the door as the three royals all stood. One opened it and slipped out, securing it behind her to secure the room in her absence. The remaining guard standing tall and alert in her absence.

A few moments later the female guard returned, again closing the door behind her before approaching them. "The people have come in large numbers. They want to see the alien woman."

"Ashima?!" Thala gasped. "Tell them they can go back home. She is resting and healing. She has saved the entire Premier, risking her life and likely forever grounding her onto this planet, losing her only way home in the process. No one will threaten her ever again, myself included. She is a hero who our people owe their thanks." Thala barely got the last words out before her voice broke and she dabbed at her eyes with a cloth she had in her hands.

Kahal noticed the cloth and wondered why she'd already had it in her grasp. Had she already been crying prior to this moment?

"You misunderstand, my Queen." The guard smiled. "Come, listen." The guard motioned them to a nearby courtyard window before she opened the glass. The chants could be heard louder and clearer now.

"Protector of the homeland

You've proven loyal and brave

In action with valor and virtue

This day our lives you did save

Protector of the homeland

Our lives we owe to you

We pledge to you with all our days

To give you honor pure and true"

"The hero's chant." Kahal's lips turned into a smile as he turned to see his mother making no effort to hide her tears. His father slowly moved to embrace the queen in comfort, which only seemed to heighten her emotions.

"She deserves it." They all slightly startled at Kietnan's voice coming from behind them. 

"I'm so sorry." The queen said between sobs as she wrapped her arms around her youngest son.

He tensed before releasing a deep breath and returning her hug. Kahal and Japheth looked away and the guards returned to their post at the door to give them privacy. Such physical displays of emotion in public weren't common among the Qarthans.

"I was so cruel. And I was such a fool, can you ever forgive me?" Thala spoke softly as she pulled herself away from Kietnan, looking into his eyes as she held his upper arms.

Kietnan glanced at Ashima, who hadn't woken up since the medical attendants performed surgery on her. The knife had done some serious damage to her, but thankfully the medical team said she wouldn't have any permanent damage.

After a long moment, he then turned to see his father looking at him, his eyes seemed to mirror the same question his mother just asked. He blew out a long breath as he sighed.

"She can stay?" He finally asked after a long moment.

"She is more than welcome." Thala stated as Japheth nodded.

"No more protests of her being my partner?"

"Of course not!" Thala said at the same time Japheth stated. "We could hardly wish for you to find anyone more deserving after all she has done for us." To which Thala nodded in agreement.

"Then it is up to Shima. If she chooses to forgive you, then so will I."

Kietnan watched as a bit of fear and nervousness crossed his parents' faces before they schooled their features to become unreadable again. "Understood." Japheth responded.

~~~~~

"Every time I think you couldn't make me more amazed by this place, you prove me wrong." Ashima smiled at Kietnan as he led her through a doorway that led into an enormous greenhouse.

Kietnan chuckled. "You do not have locations like these on earth?"

"Oh, yes. We do." She looked around for a moment before holding out her arms to motion towards all of the plants. "But we definitely do not have plants like most of these." She chuckled as she turned and looked more closely at a vining plant that wrapped around a support pole, the vine was almost as thick as Ashima's leg, bright yellow in color, with deep black flowers that somewhat resemble peony roses but were more than twice the size of Ashima's head.

"That one is called lianta."

"Lianta." Ashima repeated. "It's beautiful, but it's a bit scary."

"Scary?" He chuckled.

"Yeah, black flowers that look like they could swallow me whole?! Of course they're intimidating." She straightened her shoulders in an effort to seem less like a wimp.

He plucked a bloom off of the plant and held it in front of her. "That's interesting." He said as he brought her hand in front of her and placed the base of the large bloom in it.

"Hmm?" She questioned, confused by his take on her reaction.

"Yes, it's interesting that you would find the plant that is the main ingredient of your miracle cream so scary." 

"What?!" Ashima eagerly stared down at the bloom in her hands, processing it with her scientific mind. "But the cream is Snow White? How does it come from this?"

He chuckled again and pulled her closer to his side, placing a kiss to her temple. "The color changes in the process, once you add the other ingredients it causes a chemical reaction."

"Really?! It just chemically changes from black to white?! Those are such opposites. Can I see it sometime?" Ashima asked eagerly.

Kietnan removed the giant bloom from her hands, sitting it on a nearby table, and wrapped both of his arms around her, pulling the front of her body flush against his own. "Anything you desire." He said softly as he stared into her eyes. She smiled as he placed a gentle kiss on her lips before pulling back to look at her again.

"Ashima, I need to talk with you about something."

"Is everything ok?" She asked, worried about the seriousness in his voice and facial expression.

"Since that day I found you in the river, you have been met with many challenging and difficult situations."

She half scoffed, half chuckled but still managed to smile at him. "That's for sure."

"I have been wanting to talk to you about something since you returned but with your healing and everything happening with the investigations it never seemed like an appropriate time."

She wrapped her arms around one of his and led him over to sit on a rustic bench. "Kietnan, you seem nervous? What is it? Is something wrong?"

He forced a smile and shook his head. "Nothing is wrong." He brought a hand up to caress her face. "It's been a few weeks now since the Aerulians left." He noticed she slightly cringed at the mention of them. "And you've enjoyed being here since then. Right?"

She nodded, still obviously weary about where he was going.

"I need to ask you Shima. If there was a way for you to leave, to go home. If you could go back to earth whether it be tomorrow, next month, or years from-"

"No." She cut him off, his brow muscles scrunching up in question at her response. "I don't want to go back to earth. Or any other planet." She grabbed his hands in both of hers, rubbing comforting strokes on his skin with her thumbs.

"Not right now, but perhaps in the future after the excitement of this place has worn off..." he lowered his eyes.

Ashima put a gentle finger under his chain, pushing him to look at her. "Kietnan, are you trying to get rid of me?"

"No!" He practically yelled while clinging to her hands.

She chuckled and gave him a huge smile. "I know you're just trying to think of me but I promise you, I've never been more sure of anything. I don't want to leave and I never will. I know it hasn't been long but for some reason I just know from deep within me that my place is here. With you."

He practically lunged forward, placing his lips on hers passionately. She wrapped a hand around the back of his neck, partially pulling him close and partially feeling the need to keep herself from floating. When he pulled away moments later, she was breathless and a bit disoriented.

"You feel it too." He whispered in relief as he buried his face into her neck while wrapping his arms around her waist.

"Hmm?" She hummed as she wrapped her arms around him, caressing his bald head.

"What I've been meaning to speak with you about. I was just so worried that you wouldn't feel the same."

"What do you mean?" 

He sat up, looking her in the eyes. "Qarthans develop a bond. Once we form this bond with someone, it's very strong. You told me of how humans divorce, separate, and remarry... I was sure humans don't have this same bond. I was worried since you are human you wouldn't feel it."

"Are you questioning my feelings for you right now? After everything? After we just made out like that?!" He sensed she was getting angry.

"Wait, no. Let me explain."

"Please do." She huffed out a breath.

"When Qarthans fall in love with a person they are a truly good match with, the bond that forms will stay with them forever and help each of them grow. The bond quickly becomes an unbreakable one. We call them Life Partners."

Kietnan watched as Ashima's face turned from anger as he spoke to curiosity and wonder. He had seen it on her countless times as she'd explored his planet and his culture. As they sat in silence he saw her expression slowly change. Her eyes squinted together in thought, her mouth forming a straight line. Another look he was familiar with. She was concentrating, connecting the dots.

Eventually her lips slightly turned up on the ends and her face turned that alluring shade of red that had scared him the first time he saw it. The thought caused him to chuckle. "I love you." He said to her as he bent down to kiss the blushing cheek on her right, then again on her left before sitting up straight to watch her again.

She had a glowing smile on her face and he could see her eyes were full of moisture. "I love you too." He returned her large smile and she laughed. "I need you to smile like that for me more often."

He paused before responding. "On one condition."

"Name it." She chuckled.

"Be my Life Partner, Ashima. Become my wife and I promise to smile for you for the rest of our days."

Ashima gasped slightly before tears ran from her eyes and she engulfed him into an overly passionate hug. He returned the gesture, squeezing her tight as if she might slip away any moment. He could feel her heart beating hard in her chest, matching his own.

"My bond for you has already been created. Long ago, in fact. But only when both partners share the bond does it become truly sealed and unbreakable. Shima, I-"

"Me too." She could hardly contain her excitement. "I didn't have a name for it or understand it, but I knew it was there. When I thought I was leaving on the ship with the Aerulians, never to return again, never to see you again...it felt like my soul was being ripped apart." She buried her face in his chest as she let the tears flow freely. "I knew then, that if I ever found a way back to you, I wouldn't let anything keep us apart. Even if it seemed like the right thing to do." She chuckled. "I've never felt so sad in my entire life, those days I was hiding from you."

"Promise you'll talk things out with me from now on."

"I promise. No more running away." She squeezed him tighter. "I love you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

410 13 28
After the long Hir, a period where humans and animals have to shelter from ice-cold temperatures and heavy snowfalls, Taghna, a fierce little girl, i...
255 20 31
Alex Sorenson has finally realized his lifelong dream - to become a Scoutship Pilot. The best of the best, pushing the edges of Human claimed space...
242K 3K 15
Jennie Wardson got stuck doing night shift duty at her job. Which is out in the middle of no where. She dreams of aliens, but never thought she would...
925 170 42
A story following a spaceship pilot and explorer when she's returning from a ten-year expedition from the outer reaches of the galaxy and finds all k...