Lavender & Ice

By RBecMarie

Ashima has dreamed of space exploration her entire life. Finally embarking on her first mission, her excite... More

Intro!
1. Lift Off
2. Crash Landing
3. Close Encounters
4. Waking Up
5. Home Away From Home
6. A Rough Start
7. Introductions
8. An Injury
9. Exploration & Confrontation
10. Roles Reversed
11. Expanding the Palate
12. Breaking the Dam
13. Warm Feelings
14. Progress
15. Stockholm?
16. Conversation
17. Answers
18. Exploration
19. The Harsh Truth
20. Frustration
21. A New Danger
22. The Brothers
23. Meeting the Family
24. A Warning
25. Response from the Homeland
26. Arrival at the Homeland
27. Meeting The Premier
28. Answering the King and Queen
29. Zein's Vengeance
30. A Not So Happy Reunion
31. The Brothers Questioned
32. Reunited
33. First Look at the Homeland
34. Spending the Day Together
35. You're a what?!
36. Is This a Date?
37. Taking a Leap
38. The Truth Comes Out
39. Searching
40. A New Dwelling
41. Contact
42. Joreth's Decision
43. Heartbreak
44. Aftermath
45. Nothing Good
47. Running out of Time
48. A Cruel Reunion
49. Rahn's POV
50. Where do we go from here?
51. A New Family
Author's Note / 2nd Book

46. Another Foe?

2.8K 145 14
By RBecMarie

"I've changed my mind." Kietnan said to Kahal as they stood on his balcony watching the last remaining colors of the sunrise.

"No, too late for that. You're going."

"Yeah?" Kietnan turned to face Kahal. "How do you plan on forcing me?"

"I'll tie you to a chair if I have to." He shrugged. "This will be good for you."

"You keep forcing me to do things against my will and saying it's good for me."

"Because I'm right. And I'm trying to take care of my brother."

The door to Kietnan's study opened and his two other brothers walked in, followed by their father.

"Hello, son."

"Father." Kietnan said, keeping his eyes on his chest instead of looking him in the eye. He had given in and spoken with him the night before. An uncomfortable conversation, but Kietnan did feel a small amount of weight off his shoulders afterward. Not that he would ever admit that to Kahal or his father.

"We are long overdue for a men's day." Japheth cleared his throat.

"The Gaudir is this evening." Kietnan used the opportunity as an excuse. Kahal raised a brow at him as if to say "I thought you weren't going?"

"Okay a men's morning, then. Get ready, we're going hunting."

Kietnan opened his mouth but Othen spoke first. "We have all agreed, you can't say no."

"We're all going, no arguments. You have 10 minutes to get ready." Joreth stated, crossing his arms.

Kietnan looked around the room. "You plan to stand and watch?"

They all nodded in unison. "You're not getting out of this."

~~~~~~

Ashima had been sitting in this dark room for days, and had learned little more information. With only the light from a small, dirty skylight to help her keep track of time, she was going stir crazy.

The Aerulians had long stopped believing her ruse about taking the medicine and had simply resorted to sitting her food and water at the door twice a day. She was going mad wondering why they were keeping her here. And why they hadn't done anything yet.

She was startled to attention when the door creaked open. Yet when a familiar purple face appeared instead of the Aerulians, she opened her mouth in shock and horror.

"There she is." His evil smile made her cringe yet she stood frozen. "It's been too long, has it not? Look how healthy you are."

"..."

"Don't worry, I'm not going to hurt you."

"Surely you don't expect me to trust those words Zein?"

"Have I ever lied to you?" 

She thought for a moment. In all the terrible things he'd ever done to her, no he had never lied. He had always openly told her he was going to beat or torture her.

"See?." He nodded his head as he sat on a stool in the corner, next to the door. Ashima eyed the open door before glancing back at him. "Thinking of making a run for it?" He chuckled and she let out a frustrated huff. "Even if you somehow beat me to the door and have delusions of running away from me..." he turned to the door.

"Barlo!" He called out. A very large Qarthan immediately poked his head in the door. "Barlo here is here to protect you from making any mistakes, my dear." He nodded at Barlo, who then disappeared to presumably stand outside the door.

"Why am I here Zein, I thought you wanted me gone? And how did you get out of your cell?"

"Oh, I do want you gone. You and the handful of Aerulians here will be gone tonight, one way or another, and I will rest well knowing only Qarthans remain on this planet."

"So you're working with them somehow? I thought you hated and distrusted aliens?" She hoped he could see the anger on her face and hear it in her voice.

Zein simply smiled at her.

"How'd you get out of your cell, anyway?"

His smile fell and for a moment she thought he would break his word and lunge for her. Then he schooled his features, wiping off imaginary dust from his sleeve. "I still have ally's. Those who understand the importance of keeping our people safe from alien threats."

He stood slowly and came closer to her, until her back was pressed against the wall and she could feel the breath from him. But no part of him was touching her. "Do not mistake me leaving you healthy for kindness, alien. It is simply a necessary part of the plan."

Her breath caught. So she was a part of the plan, whatever it was. She had wondered if the only role she played was a reason for the Aerulians to show up on this planet. That they were simply keeping her out of the way until they could leave.

Zein turned and went to the door, retrieving a set of folded Qarthan clothes from Barlo. "Put these on. You're finally getting to leave this room."

An hour later, Ashima found she had just left one mind numbingly dull room for another. This room had a small table with two chairs on one side and a small fireplace on another. They had covered her eyes when transporting her but she knew she hadn't gone far. She guessed they were in a small house and they had simply moved her from a bedroom to a den or office. At least this room had an actual window. It was too high on the wall for her to get to it but at least she could see the tops of trees and the sky. It was probably mid-morning at this point, the birds were getting quieter than they were earlier.

Her eyes traced the contours of the stone around the fireplace as she sat there waiting, having no idea what she was waiting for. 

The door opened and she jumped up, looking toward the door and fearing what might happen next. Her heart fell when Zein walked in, but it sped up and tried to pound out of her ribcage when another figure came in behind him.

General Garen stood there staring at her for a long moment before he turned and raised a brow at Zein.

"Surprise!" Zein said, not trying to hide the large smile on his face.

"What exactly am I looking at here, Zein." Garen said in a calm, impassive voice.

Zein's smile faltered only for a split second before he continued. "I have done a lot of hard work and taken a lot of risks but this moment has finally arrived." He clasped his hands together and Ashima could swear she saw him bounce on his toes a tiny bit. He reminded Ashima of a puppy trying to please its master.

"Elaborate."

"The Aerulians have depleted their planet of important minerals needed to power their spacecraft. Minerals they can't seem to find anywhere else yet we have in abundance."

"So they need us. What is it we're supposed to be getting in return for providing them such minerals." Garen asked Zein while seemingly keeping an eye on both him and Ashima.

"We both know you should be King, not that fool Japheth. Yet if we made a move against him, and you rose to power it would be too obvious on who to place the blame. Our planet has been at peace for decades, he has no real enemies."

"I fail to see how assassinating our king and blaming it on the Aerulians gets me in power and also keeps the Aerulians happy. Tell me more of your plan."

Zein practically beamed at Garen's words. "My General is so wise, you will make an excellent king!" Ashima decided Zein had officially gone insane. Any sliver of sanity left in him before was now gone. "Of course if we assassinate the king, the other members of his family will rule. So we must get rid of them all."

Garen was silent for a long moment before he spoke again. "You plan to kill the king, my sister, and my nephews?"

Zein faltered slightly. As if he hadn't foreseen Garen caring of such a trivial matter. "It... it is the only way."

Garen paused again. "Very well then. How? And what of the Aerulians? You plan to double cross them?"

"Oh wise leader!" Zein was beaming again.

"They will be poisoned at tonight's gaudir. The Aerulian's will be caught and killed on the spot for their treachery. By our most just general of course, to avenge the deaths of his family. The people will see you as the hero they already know you to be. Everyone will expect you to assume the throne!

Ashima stared in disgust as Zein looked like he might cry of happiness.  

"And what is her role in all of this? He motioned to Ashima, who tensed in fear. Although, she was thankful for his question. She had been wondering this herself for days.

Zein's smile somehow got bigger as he turned to glare at her. "There's no way the Aerulians, who have never been on this planet, could have pulled something like this off without inside help."

"She is your scapegoat."

"Precisely. And she'll die with the rest. No loose ends."

"I must say you've thought this through."

"Oh thank you, my Lord. Your praise means everything to me." Zein did a slight bow of his head as he spoke.

Ashima had to agree, he seemed to have thought of every detail.

"And when the Aerulians don't return home and we're questioned? And when the next group reaches out for more minerals?"

Or not.

Zein shrugged. "Accidents happen all the time in space. Don't they Ashima." He smirked at her and she felt bile rise up in her throat at the thought, and the memories. She held her tongue from commenting that accidents happened to humans plenty, but not to the Aerulians who have been traveling in space for many generations. It would be extremely rare. Especially this short distance to home. And therefore it would be suspicious.

"We either continue telling them no to the minerals, ignore any further contact as we have for millennia, or we secretly begin trading with them. That decision will be up to our new king." He turned back to Garen with a proud smile.

~~~~~

Ashima had been pacing ever since she was returned to her room. How could she warn The Premier? How could she warn Kietnan?

She stopped her pacing and drew in a deep breath, mentally willing her tears to stay at bay. Panicking and becoming an emotional mess would help no one.

She looked up at the skylight. It was mid day. She was running out of time. She looked around the room again, even though she had already looked over every crevice. If only there were some thing she could use to open the door. Or to climb up to the skylight. She looked at it again. Or at the very least if there was something she could hide on her body so that when she was examined, they would know the truth. if she were somehow taken alive, she doubted anyone would believe her story. She hardly believed it herself. Now she knew why they were keeping her fed and healthy, as Zein put it. She could have no evidence of bindings or mistreatment on her body, or someone might suspect some type of foul play.

She jumped and crouched behind the bed when she heard the door being unlocked. Was it time already? Where exactly were they going to put her? Would they kill her before it even began?

Her heart was beating through her chest, and she felt sick again. Don't vomit now, she told herself. Then she thought... if she vomited all over herself would they give her time to clean up, and therefore delay her demise? Surely they'd rather her clean it up than themselves...

She quickly dismissed the idea when the door opened to reveal general Garen coming in and closing the door behind him as he stared at her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Seven By FinneganWrites

Science Fiction

504 48 10
Seven - a state of the art space soldier - wakes up in an unfamiliar place; clueless on how he got there. Soon, he meets his mysterious abductor, and...
241K 3K 15
Jennie Wardson got stuck doing night shift duty at her job. Which is out in the middle of no where. She dreams of aliens, but never thought she would...
128K 5.3K 36
Ava is a human that has never been to earth. That is because a few decades before she was born, the earth became unlivable. All of the governments ca...
27.8K 1.6K 31
In a time when angels and demons traverse the cosmos, Khamuel's staid existence is thrown into chaos after his healer is found dead. His only chance...