Lost

By hanaripinku

Jacquelyn works hard at a job she hates but finally saves up enough money to take a trip to Japan for a month... More

Chapter 1 Jacquelyn
Chapter 2 Jacquelyn
Chapter 3 Isamu
Chapter 4 Jacquelyn
Chapter 6 Jacquelyn
Chapter 7 Isamu
Chapter 8 Jacquelyn
Chapter 9 Isamu
Chapter 10 Jacquelyn
Chapter 11 Isamu
Chapter 12 Jacquelyn
Chapter 13 Jacquelyn
Chapter 14 Isamu

Chapter 5 Jacquelyn

3 1 0
By hanaripinku

"Aw man it's hot out here!"

I was dripping in sweat as I worked the fields. I was out here early this morning, awoken by my new grandma. I still had no clue what she was saying but get to work is pretty universal.

She fed me well like usual and had an outfit ready for me to wear. I was surprised it fit but then again I bet it's huge on everyone else.

My hairstyle for this trip was supposed to be low maintenance, box braids. I usually keep them in for a month. I love it because it always looks done and I don't have to put work into it. Right now though, I wish I were bald. This hair is only adding to the pain. Grandma did give me a hat but she didn't understand that it doesn't fit on my hair. It was the thought that counts.

Anyway, today I was picking chili peppers. I was happy to at least be sitting monetarily as I placed them into a basket but it was up and down with these darn things. My knees were starting to hurt.

"Hey you."

I stood up and looked around.

"Me", I said as I pointed to myself.

"Duh", the jerk face said.

"What do you want?"

"Time for a break."

"I'm fine thanks."

"I'm not asking I'm telling you. You'll get heat stroke or something if you keep up this pace."

"I can tell if I'm getting a heat stroke thank you very much."

"Fine, whatever."

An hour later...

"Oh my gosh, I can't believe I almost got a heat stroke", I said in shock as I lay on the cool floor with an ice pack on my head.

"Told you."

I was starting to feel faint and so I headed inside a while ago, that's when I lost balance and I ended up here. I felt so bad for making grandma worry about me.

"Whatever", I said.

I glanced over at him to see he was shirtless with a towel draped around his shoulders, must be a cool towel. He was drinking some water as well. It got me thinking, I don't know this jerk's name.

"Hey", I called out.

"Yeah?"

"What's your name? You know mine."

"I forgot yours."

"What? It's not hard, I gave you my nickname. Jackie, Jackie...write it down or something."

"Why would I do that if it's just a nickname? I can give you a better one."

"Oh yeah?"

"Flea."

I quickly sat up.

"Flea?"

"Yeah, flea. You're annoying. Too bad I can't flick you off somewhere."

"You...you...jerk face. Ugh!"

I stood up.

"You have no right to treat me like this! What have I done to you to deserve this treatment? I've been busting my butt to help out as much as I can while I'm here. I've been extremely respectful to everyone here! If you hate me so much, I'll walk out of here. I'm done. Tell grandma I got a ride or something."

I went to go get my things. Barely anything was unpacked since I had no plans to stay here long. I can't stay another minute here with that jerk.

I got some water, put my bags out the door, and then grabbed my shoes.

I marched down the dirt path. The sun was beating on me but I didn't care. I rather die trying to get out of here than stay any longer around that guy. Just like I had planed the other night, I have to pace myself and I'll make it. 

I felt like I've been walking forever. I have no idea if I'm going the right way. I have no idea where I'm going. I tried asking locals where to go but my poor Japanese isn't helping. My phone is on low battery so I don't want to waste looking up translations. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a ride. The odds of me getting murdered here are slim. The worst I'll get is some guy having a fetish or something. If I can sell some panties for a few bucks I will.

More time passed by. I was starting to feel hopeless. I could feel tears prick my eyes. I don't know where I got the water to cry, I didn't even have to pee yet.

"Why is this happening to me", I cried out to the universe.

"What have I done to deserve this? I mean, back there wasn't so bad. If I was destined to live there please take away jerk face. I don't mean to kill him or anything just...I don't know...have him move out. He looks successful to survive in Tokyo."

Suddenly I heard something approaching behind me. I quickly turned around. It was a car...a really nice car.

None of the people out here have that kind of money for a car like that.

"Hey! Can you help me, I'm lost and..."

I stopped talking when the car rolled up to me and rolled down the window.

My eyes squinted.

"Jerkface."

"Flea."

"What do you want?"

"The old lady said to come get you."

"No."

"Get in."

"No!"

I started walking off

He sped up and turned in front of me almost running me over.

"Hey!"

"Come on, now!"

"No! I'll die out here and turn into flea food if that's what you want. Tell grandma not to work so hard and that I enjoyed working with her."

"Stop that. Fine...I'll stop being an ass if you get in the car."

I gave him a look.

"For real?"

"Yes."

I approached the car door slowly, letting myself in. It was nice in here, like very nice.

We headed back in silence but I had to break it. I hate silence.

"So...this must be your car, right?"

"Obvious-- I mean...yeah."

"Nice. So before you moved here, what did you do?"

"We've moved towards introductions?"

"Yes."

I saw him roll his eyes.

"I did business."

"Doing what?"

"I don't want to say."

"Ah okay. It all makes sense now."

"What", he said.

"You're in the yakuza."

"No I'm not!"

"It's okay. As long as you don't do anything illegal you're fine. I mean I personally don't support gangs but you do you bro."

"I'm not a part of the yakuza."

I let out a laugh. I was messing with him, he deserved it.

We arrived back at Grandma's house. She quickly came over as she was so worried about me.

"Gomenasai", I said while giving a deep bow.

Jerkface started saying something to her. She got upset with him and then gestured me inside.

The day turned into night once again. I helped grandma with dinner and then I cleaned up for her so she could get some sleep. Tonight felt nice. It was a cool breeze and the sky was full of stars, something I don't get to see back home. I went outside to sit, and that's when I saw jerkface was already out here looking at the stars too.

"Can't sleep or something", I asked.

"Isamu", he said.

"Huh? I don't understand that word."

"That's my name."

"Oh. Isamu, I like it. Um...my full name is Jacquelyn. A bit hard to spell but not too hard to say, right?"

"I went to school with a Jacquelyn when I was in the States. She was a bitch."

"Oh...well...yeah...I'm usually the opposite of that."

"You're like a cavity."

"Huh? Okay, mister name caller...you're not so perfect yourself."

"I mean, you seem so happy all the time, so optimist."

"Well, how are you supposed to survive life being so negative all the time?"

He shrugged his shoulders.

"Will you bite if I sit next to you?"

"Only one way to find out", he said.

I cautiously sat down next to him. So far so good.

"Thanks for coming back for me", I said.

"Grandma told me to."

"I think a small part of you was worried."

"Not at all."

"Liar."

I swear I spotted a slight grin on his face with the help of the moonlight.

I guess he's a human after all. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

179 0 10
After the girl he likes says she no longer cares about him, and many other reasons, 24 year old Simon Cross falls into a great deal of depression, wi...
512 25 12
A black woman named Lucy who works as a Barista at a cafe in New York city and enjoys reading novels ends up working for a stuck up ,snobby , Asian...
212K 5.4K 47
"𝗜𝗠 𝗦𝗨𝗖𝗛 𝗔 𝗕𝗨𝗥𝗗𝗘𝗡" [l/n] [f/n] moves to Miyagi and leaves her old life in America. She will be attending Karasuno as a first-year studen...
8K 163 29
Salem has always been a loner. She doesn't care about anyone but herself and her family...she doesn't want to care. Shes what you could call a cynic...