Arranged Marriage

By YuiKobayashi2

"Should we get divorced?" . . . . . . The official AU (Alternative Universe) of DTR More

Posting this AU again 🀣
Notes before reading
Back to square one
Week 1 (1)
Week 1 (2)
Week 2 (2)
Week 2 (3)
Week 3 (1)
Week 3 (2)
Week 3 (3)
Week 4 (1)
Week 4 (2)
Week 4 (3)
Week 4 (4)
A year (1)
A year (2)
A year (3)
A year (4)
A year (5)
It's about time (1)
It's about time (2)

Week 2 (1)

1.2K 26 24
By YuiKobayashi2

Hey hey hey!!!! New chapter coming through !!!!

****

It's 9 o'clock on Sunday morning, breakfast time. Karlyle's family has a tradition to have breakfast together every weekend when they return to London. But today, Karlyle is the only one in the dining room of the main house in Mayfair. This tradition isn't anything particularly special. It's like a special occasion for the whole family to get together.

Karlyle does expect that Kyle wouldn't make it here today. His brother, after so much heartbreaking, has finally been able to get married to the person he loves since childhood. Kyle has his own family so it's natural if he can't come. It's quite a pity that the only family member he can talk with won't be able to come as often as before, but it's also a good thing as his younger brother is now happy.

In that case, the only people who can come here are his mother and father. His grandfather always resides at the Frost house in Bath, so he rarely sees him in London. His grandmother divorced Arthur when he was small, and she cut ties with his family. She remarried soon after, so now she's practically a stranger.

Growing up without a mother, his mother Alice devoted a lot of her heart to his grandfather. But after she got married to his father and was hated by Arthur, she's been trying to regain his recognition by focusing more on her business. Because of that, since Karlyle was a little kid, family meals have been one of the few memories he has of seeing his mother.

Today probably won't be any different.

Staring at the empty dining room and the long table where he's sitting alone, Karlyle comes to a conclusion. It seems that he would be the only person eating here today. This scene is nothing unfamiliar to him. He has seen the empty house and handled his job on his own since forever. Having his parents with him may feel even stranger. He is no longer a child to yearn for that kind of thing anyway....

"I'm sorry I'm late."

Just as he's about to ask the chef for a quick meal for himself, his father comes. Karlyle stands up when he hears his voice from behind. As he gets up carefully without dragging the chair legs on the floor, his father comes to his side.

"Alice said she had some urgent work, she'd come later."

He can see his father's sad gray eyes. Even though he inherited his father's looks, his father Jonathan has a lot of expressions, unlike him.

Karlyle was born as the eldest son of the Frost family but he inherited no generational characteristics of his family. Since he was born like that, it would be nice if he had at least a gentle personality like his father, but Karlyle doesn't know how to treat his own family, either.

Although he's good at smiling with people he meets for business, he can't smile with his parents or Kyle. He doesn't know exactly when his expression turned numb, but it's something he's learned from a young age. His mother doesn't like seeing disappointment or sadness.

"Good morning, father."

Jonathan nods, he seems to have gotten used to his son's dry greeting. He raises his hand and calls the servant to ask for a meal. He sits down and leaves the newspaper he always reads on the table. Then he gets straight to the point.

"It looks like Alice has a lot to prepare for your wedding. I apologize on her behalf."

The Sunday morning, which isn't so special, suddenly becomes strange as he hears about the wedding preparation. Blinking, he's silent for a moment. He slightly avoids his father's gaze.

"Mother is already busy, I don't want to bother her. I'll take care of it."

"It's your marriage, of course we have to take care of the preparation."

Karlyle's tie suddenly feels so tight around his neck. He remembers the things that he and Ash Jones talked about at Primrose Hill. At lunch a week ago, when they awkwardly had sandwiches together, they set a brief deal after the meal. They will meet each other three times, until then, they won't say anything about canceling the marriage to their families.

He feels guilty when he thinks about his mother who's preparing for a marriage that would never take place. He isn't happy about marrying an Alpha, but the thought that he's messing up what his grandfather and his mother want makes him feel uncomfortable.

It seems that Jonathan's noticed that he's having something in his mind, he asks.

"Are you alright?"

"I'm fine."

"I'm talking about your marriage, Karlyle."

Karlyle stares at him. Does he know something? But what Jonathan asks is something else.

"Your partner is an Alpha, isn't it?"

His father seems to have the same thought as what Karlyle had when he first heard the news from his grandfather. His father has sharp eyes, it would be hard to pretend in front of him.

"I'm asking because I know it's not what you were expecting. You have never dated an Alpha, won't it be difficult for you to accept?"

Of course everyone will think so. But when he actually hears it in words, it doesn't feel good. To be more precise, he feels shameful. It isn't because of the fact that he has to marry an Alpha, but because the meaning of this marriage is obvious.

That Karlyle Frost is a discarded thing.

He's known it from the moment he was born, but he had no idea his grandfather would name it straight at his face. Of course, he's given a partner too good for him. The possibilities that his family will gain through his connections are incomparable to what he's achieved until now.

His mind is all mixed up. Ash Jones said they gave each other what they wanted. But who knows? If Ash changes his mind or something goes wrong afterwards, unless they are bound by a marriage, Karlyle won't be able to cause pressure on him in the future.

"If you don't like it, I'll have some words with your grandfather somehow."

Jonathan says. He must have misinterpreted Karlyle's prolonged silence. In the back of his mind, he's glad for his father's suggestion, but it's an impossible thing to do. He doesn't want to put his father in trouble, as he's still being treated with disdain by Arthur. His grandfather always says that his father is a commoner but dares to step into a noble's house.

"You don't have to, father. It's true that it's not common, but it isn't unheard of."

As he shakes his head resolutely, Jonathan laughs.

"You're right. Since there are me and Alice."

Looking at Karlyle with an apologetic expression, Jonathan speaks again carefully.

"But marriage between Alphas of the same gender is unheard of in this world."

Karlyle glances around the mansion. What Jonathan said isn't wrong. It's been a long time since he saw his father being this worried about him. Karlyle silently looks at him.

Unlike his mother, who, like him, is unable to express emotions or facial expression, his father tends to express them. Still, he doesn't see this often from his father. Then, a pointless worry crosses his mind. He wonders if his mother is worried about him like this, too.

"What does my mother think?"

"Well, Alice doesn't show anything."

As expected. How unfortunate. The fact that she doesn't express any particular intention means she has the same intentions as his grandfather. The pressure that has faded away for a moment quietly weighs on Karlyle's shoulders again.

"I see." After giving a short answer, Karlyle decides to end the story.

"I'm fine, father. This is my duty, and I don't want to go against what my grandfather wants."

Jonathan claps his lips, then nods with a small sigh.

"What kind of person is your partner?"

At that question, Karlyle recalls the person who is the topic of this conversation. What answer should he give? Their first meeting wasn't long enough for him to define. The first thing he felt about the other person was....

"He's handsome."

He just dryly says whatever comes to his mind, but Jonathan seems to be surprised. He laughs.

"You seem to like that person."

"It's not like that."

Karlyle is simply stating an objective fact. He has never met anyone in his life that suits the definition of the word "beautiful" that much. His different eye colors are also unusual. Ash looks neat, but when he looks at his face, Ash is such a handsome man that every one of his features catches his eyes. Ash also has a good physique. There are not many people who are taller than Karlyle, so Karlyle remembers quite many details about Ash.

His pheromones, too.... They are not strong enough to cause displeasure. They are the woody scent of Primrose Hill where he met him. Although their presence is clear, it isn't common to see a scent that doesn't give off the unique Alpha scent when he smells it.

"This is the first time I've ever heard you say that about anyone." Jonathan says.

"Other than that, there isn't much to evaluate. He doesn't seem like a bad person."

Really, that's it.

"You have good eyes. So I believe he's a good person."

Ash may seem that way, but he hasn't met him much, he can't say for sure. As he thinks about the man who he's deliberately pushed aside for the past few days, the events at Primrose Hill replay in his mind as if it were yesterday. They were all the things he did for the first time in his life, leaving him with some unexplainable tingling whenever he thinks about them.

It felt strange to eat food someone else personally prepared for him, and it was strange to see someone come up to him with no hesitation. That person smiled at him, called his name, and had a completely opposite way of thinking from the people he had met so far. The most impressive thing that person did was calling him pretty.

The awkwardness presses heavily against his chest. As he's pondering what to say, breakfast comes just in time. Broccoli and vegetables are nicely placed on top of the sunny side up egg. It's served with bread and butter mixed with truffles, along with coffee and tea.

Karlyle chooses Assam tea, while his father Jonathan picks Flat White. Karlyle recalls how his grandfather often criticizes Jonathan for not being polite since he drinks coffee. He said that aristocrats and commoners were indeed different from birth.

After adding some milk to his tea, Karlyle takes a moment to look at his cup on the table. He wonders if Ash Jones is the same as his father. Does Ash drink coffee, or tea?

Unconsciously recalling the morning he spent with that man, Karlyle realizes that he's thinking about their marriage, which goes against their promise. If Ash Jones keeps his promise, canceling their marriage will be the best outcome for everyone. He knows that, but his mind keeps wandering back to the scenario where the marriage happens.

It's probably because he's worried about his grandfather and mother's reactions. Let's not think too deeply. If he breaks the promise they made to each other, the other person's trust to him will be broken. He should do as planned.

At that moment, a vibration rings inside his suit. It's the phone he puts in his suit pocket. Its ringing tone echoes through the quiet dining room. Having been cutting his food, Jonathan glances at him.

"It seems that you got a text."

"It isn't something urgent."

"You can check it."

Jonathan's suggestion contains a subtle pressure. Karlyle quietly takes his phone out. Since he usually leaves his work phone to his secretary during meal times, the one he has now is his personal phone.

Since all meetings with nobles are handled publicly, Karlyle's personal connections are surprisingly few. He doesn't like having too many people around, and his business is done in public. The only contacts he has are his family and an Alpha named Aiden Heywood, who has been by his side since he was small.

[Good morning.]

Oh, there's Ash Jones, too.

[How have you been doing?]

Since he made a deal with Ash Jones, he couldn't contact him through his secretary, so they exchanged phone numbers. Receiving a text from Ash Jones won't be anything strange, but when it actually happens, Karlyle is still a little surprised.

After a few seconds, he starts typing answers to Ash's two consecutive texts. He can feel Jonathan's gaze on him, but Karlyle has got his permission, so it's fine.

[Yes, I'm doing well. Did you have a good week?]

"Feel free to talk." Jonathan says.

"But the meal...."

"You can order them again if it turns cold."

Jonathan says it's okay and starts eating first. While Karlyle's hesitating, the reply comes immediately.

[Karlyle's text also sounds sexy.]

Karlyle's fingers stiffen at that. He's been having this thought since last time, but that man often says unexpected things at certain moments. He waits for a few minutes, but the conversation doesn't seem to continue unless Karlyle texts back. Finally, he gives a resolute answer.

[That isn't really the case here.]

[It's the same as when we met last time. Are you wearing a suit today, too?]

[I am.]

[I really want to meet you soon. You look amazing in a suit.]

Karlyle's fingers stop. Ash compliments him as naturally as breathing. It makes him puzzled.

[So, would it be okay if we move up the appointment time from 1 pm to 11 am? It'd be great if we can meet sooner. Of course, you can refuse.]

Karlyle checks the time on his screen. Quite some time has passed since they started texting. Originally, there's supposed to be more than four hours left until their meeting.

Since they both have work during weekdays, they decided to meet on weekends. And they set a meeting for lunch today. However, if they change the time as Ash suggested, he has to get ready sooner.

[Did something happen?] Karlyle asks back.

[There's an opening exhibition at Hayward Gallery this morning. I want to go there with you. I've been thinking of inviting you there for the last few days. Today is Sunday, how about we have brunch after seeing the exhibition?]

Karlyle heard that there was a new exhibition coming up at Hayward Gallery, the artist must be an acquaintance of Ash Jones. Since Ash is said to be a famous person with great influence in this area, it seems that there's no one in particular who doesn't know Ash Jones. That's Karlyle's impression.

[Are you participating in the auction?] He asks.

The reason nobles go to exhibitions is mainly for collection. There are nobles who enjoy exhibitions as a hobby, but that number is significantly small. Most of the nobles come here for the sake of showing off under the excuse of enjoying art. In Karlyle's case, he's obliged to participate in all noteworthy exhibitions, but he doesn't do collections. Since he has no interest in it.

[I do sometimes, but today is for appreciation. I'm a good writer, you know? And I'm curious how it would be seeing an exhibition with you.]

Karlyle thinks for a moment. Since he's going to have breakfast with his father, he can't have brunch. However, put that aside, it's a little strange to meet earlier for an exhibition.

"If you have plans, you can go."

It isn't until he hears Jonathan's voice that Karlyle realizes he's been holding his phone longer than usual. Embarrassed by his impolite behavior during meals, he quickly puts his phone down.

"I apologize."

"That person will be your fiance, isn't he?"

Jonathan says as if he's known everything. Karlyle shakes his head.

"Family meals are more important."

"You and I see each other often. Besides, the person will become your family, too."

Guilt weighs down his heart. His father must have been worried since he thought he must have misunderstood his reactions. But now, he seems relieved. It's true that Karlyle's impression about Ash Jones isn't bad, but it's not like he likes him or anything.

However, he can't say that Ash and him won't become a family. As he's hesitating between choices, his phone vibrates again. Jonathan motions for him to check it. As he carefully checks his phone, a symbol he's never seen before appears on his screen.

[=(]

Karlyle agonizes for a moment over the strange combination of letters. Maybe Ash made a typo?

[How sad, but you can refuse. I'm a grown adult, I'll be fine.]

As he's about to ask what that symbol means, a new text comes. Funny enough, it feels like he can hear Ash Jones's voice through that text.

[It's not like that. I had to check my schedule for a moment.]

He hesitated since it wasn't like him to respond to such an impromptu plan. If it's a business-related schedule, he'll adjust it flexibly. But isn't this a personal meeting?

Jonathan's cough pushes him, who is worried that he's wasting his time.

[We can meet sooner, I think.]

Reluctantly, Karlyle agrees. Then, a symbol almost identical to the one before pops up on his screen.

[=D]

He stares stoically at the screen. What could this symbol be? This isn't his first time dealing with someone who isn't an aristocrat, but this man is overly alien. This feeling gets even stronger as Karlyle knows quite a lot of things, but Ash Jones has made him confused so many times.

[I changed the plan too randomly so I'll come pick you up. Would you mind telling me the address?]

While he's busy finding out what those strange symbols are, Ash asks to come pick him up.

[You don't have to.]

[=(]

The symbol the same as before appears again. Karlyle finally decides to ask the meaning.

[What do those symbols you used mean?]

Several minutes have passed, but Ash doesn't text back. A slight sense of embarrassment flashes through his face. He puts his phone down. But his eyes keep dashing back to it.

"Are you leaving now?" His father asks.

"Oh, not yet. But I think I'll have to go out soon."

"You two want to eat together, aren't you?" Jonathan says knowingly.

"I apologize for leaving first."

"Don't say that."

Jonathan says it's fine and drinks his coffee again. Meanwhile, there's still no reply from Ash. Karlyle's getting nervous, his fingers unconsciously hover on his phone. A moment later, his phone vibrates. He immediately checks it.

[That symbol means if you don't let me come to pick you up, I'll be so sad that I'd cry.]

Karlyle's eyes slightly squint at the unexpected meaning.

[If you let me escort you, I will tell you exactly what they are.]

Such a weird suggestion. Karlyle agonizes for a moment. That man claimed himself to be a nuisance, but he acted like his feelings would be hurt if Karlyle didn't accept his suggestion. He can't figure him out at all. Anyway, in this relationship, Karlyle isn't at a position where he can refuse however he likes.

Karlyle receives many things from Ash Jones, but Ash doesn't gain anything from him.

[.....Alright.]

A person who has almost no values like him is being given things. Shame rises in him. This feeling is nothing unfamiliar to him. He always feels like this when he makes his grandfather disappointed with his uselessness.

If he wants to at least be useful, he should meet the request of the other person. Karlyle types his address like a machine and sends it.

[Thank you. See you later.]

Ash's thanking him for something he doesn't need to be thankful for. As he reads it, the shame that he had just a moment ago slowly fades away. It's unfamiliar to feel like this. Not knowing why, he puts his phone down.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28K 1.5K 33
The story of two alphas failing at blind dates together. That is, except for their last one.
2.3K 126 15
" You love him so much , I'm sorry for come between you two. " - Mean phiravich " yeah....now you know what I want " - Plan Rathvit To know what ha...
5.3K 332 4
-"πš†πš’πš•πš• 𝚒𝚘𝚞 πš–πšŠπš›πš›πš’ πš–πšŽ?" -"π™Άπš•πšŠπšπš•πš’" --- "Everything is fair in love and war" Where the alpha to whom Taehyung was supposed to marry d...
12.2K 392 22
This is basically Crockercorp AU John x Alpha!Dave THERE IS SMUT Also there's bad words in it Hope you enjoy :3