Lavender & Ice

By RBecMarie

Ashima has dreamed of space exploration her entire life. Finally embarking on her first mission, her excite... More

Intro!
1. Lift Off
2. Crash Landing
3. Close Encounters
4. Waking Up
5. Home Away From Home
6. A Rough Start
7. Introductions
8. An Injury
9. Exploration & Confrontation
10. Roles Reversed
11. Expanding the Palate
12. Breaking the Dam
13. Warm Feelings
14. Progress
15. Stockholm?
16. Conversation
17. Answers
18. Exploration
19. The Harsh Truth
20. Frustration
21. A New Danger
22. The Brothers
23. Meeting the Family
24. A Warning
25. Response from the Homeland
26. Arrival at the Homeland
27. Meeting The Premier
28. Answering the King and Queen
29. Zein's Vengeance
30. A Not So Happy Reunion
31. The Brothers Questioned
32. Reunited
33. First Look at the Homeland
34. Spending the Day Together
35. You're a what?!
36. Is This a Date?
37. Taking a Leap
38. The Truth Comes Out
39. Searching
41. Contact
42. Joreth's Decision
43. Heartbreak
44. Aftermath
45. Nothing Good
46. Another Foe?
47. Running out of Time
48. A Cruel Reunion
49. Rahn's POV
50. Where do we go from here?
51. A New Family
Author's Note / 2nd Book

40. A New Dwelling

3K 162 0
By RBecMarie

"Where are we going?" Ashima asked Joreth half an hour later.

"The guards will be combing through this hall soon. We have to move you if you still do not wish to be found." He turned and waited for her response. She nodded and continued walking.

Within minutes they were rushing quietly down the hall. Joreth brought her down a direction she hadn't been before and opened the door to a set of dark stairs, smaller than the set she'd used previously on another section of the hall.

"These aren't used much. They're more for emergencies should everyone need to evacuate quickly." Joreth explained.

"Are we going to a basement or something?" She asked when she realized they'd gone down lower than the other stairs usually ended.

"You'll see."

"You're not sneaking me off somewhere to kill me are you?" She chuckled nervously, only half joking as she became more nervous.

He stopped in front of a door on the lowest level, turning to face her as he held a light in his hands. "Ashima. I know I haven't been very friendly toward you." He paused when she shifted weight into one of her hips as she crossed her arms, giving him a nervous stare. "I do regret how harsh my words were at times. But I only ever want to protect my family and my people. I'm sure you can appreciate that, yes?" She nodded. "That does not mean I wish you any harm. I assure you, you are safe with me."

With that he opened the door and stepped through, holding it open for her. She had to keep quick steps to keep up with his long strides but she still managed to look around in awe at her surroundings. They had descended to a lower area along the outside wall. Instead of opening up to the bustling city center, they were in a quiet, stone pathed alleyway where vines were covering much of the green stone walls.

Before long, the path turned and went away from the wall of the Grand Hall. The path was probably 20 feet wide and had two stone walls that were probably 10 feet high on each side, the top connected by arches covered in vines.

"This path is beautiful, yet it feels ominous. What is it?" Ashima asked in a loud whisper.

"Be quiet, this is not the time for questions."

They continued on quietly for several minutes before the path opened up into a small courtyard with three path options. She followed Joreth as he quickly chose the leftmost path and continued down it. After several more minutes, the pathway narrowed down to where only a few people could stand side by side and the walls gradually shortened to where she could almost touch the top archways above the pathway, covered in vines. Joreth had to duck slightly to continue walking. A little further and the pathway ended, leaving dirt and leaves beneath her feet and branches and vines surrounding her.

Ashima took in her surroundings now that the walls and vines archways weren't hindering her view, noting they were in some fairly thick foliage within the forest. She turned toward where they had just come from and was surprised to see the tunnel they had come out of was barely visible. If she hadn't known to look for it, she wouldn't have known it was there. She wanted to ask where they were and where they were going but she decided to trust him and therefore decided to remain quiet as she followed him.

An hour later, Ashima was drenched in sweat from the heat and humidity and she found herself wishing she'd brought some water. She took relief in the fact that the thick tree canopy had provided shade and now the sun had set, providing a bit of relief from the heat.

"We're here." Joreth spoke suddenly.

Ashima thought she'd feel relieved, but after spending the last hour worrying about a specific lavender Qarthan, all she felt was more uncertainty.

She forced a slight smile on her face when Joreth turned to face her. "No one will think to look for you here."

She looked around in confusion when she saw nothing but greenery and yet another large boulder, no different than the view she'd had for the past hour.

Joreth reached into the open trunk of a nearby tree and suddenly the sound of stone scraping against stone sounded through her ears. Her mouth opened in surprise but she didn't jump. Of course, it's just like the camouflaged pathway they'd come out of earlier. Only visible to those who know where to look. Joreth led her inside the entrance and they were yet again going through a stone tunnel. However, this one was smaller, more narrow, and completely enclosed. And dark.

Ashima had to remind herself that Joreth would have the same abilities Kietnan did. He could see fine in this tunnel and if any dangers lurked, he'd be able to protect them. And if he'd wanted to harm her himself, he could have done that plenty of times over during the last hours. She took in a deep breath and exhaled it slowly, expelling her nerves.

As they went further and she could barely see him in front of her, her nerves returned. "Joreth. I can't see in the dark as you can."

"Oh." Was all he said as he took her hand and placed it in the crook of his elbow before continuing down the dark path.

A wave of emotion filled her as she thought of how Kietnan would have held her hand as he pulled her through the tunnel.

"Wait here." His voice rang out in the silence before he removed his arm from her hand.

Once she lost contact and was enveloped in the darkness she let out a slow breath, focusing on calm. Even as sounds of metal scraping stone echoed through the room. This was a moment where she was glad for her training. Yet that thought sent another wave of emotion through her, along with a million different thoughts.

I'm so tired of being so emotional and unsure of things. She thought to herself. Her entire life she had always known what she wanted, and always worked to get it. These past weeks had been quite different. And they had been exhausting.

Her mind jolted back to the present as the sound came from a different direction and light illuminated the area. She looked around to find Joreth adjusting a large mirror.

She let out a small chuckle and smiled. Of course they'd have such a simple and primitive, yet effective method for lighting the space. As he worked his way back down the rock wall, she took in the space. The room was enormous. The walls were covered with little cutouts that she imagined would provide sleeping areas, if one were to have bedding. An area in the corner looked like it could be a food prep area, or medical area, perhaps both depending on which you needed more. As she scanned the room, realization dawned on her.

"This place..." she caught Joreth's attention as he dusted off his clothing and approached her. "The secret path out of the Grand Hall is an escape route and this place, with its secret entrance, and this setup is a place of refuge. A place to hide. In case of an attack on the Grand Hall?"

"You're very observant." Joreth noted with an impassive face.

"This is why no one will think to look for me here. Because I shouldn't know about it. I'd even guess there are many Qarthans who don't know of this place."

 He simply stared at her a moment before turning away and opening a dusty chest on one side of the room. He pulled out a couple of small items she couldn't make out and then kneeled in front of a fireplace in the middle of the large room.

Once he situated the wood and kindling that sat beside the fireplace, he struck whatever was in his hand and small flames began to take shape. In a short moment, the wood was fully engulfed.

Ashima chuckled. "It's funny how comforting the fire is now, when only minutes ago I was miserably hot and thirsty. I know caves and caverns are just like that, though. No matter the outside temperature, they hold true to a nice cool constant. But it's still always a wonder to experience."

Joreth stood and stared at her again before speaking. "Kietnan had said you can't regulate your temperature as we do. Is this acceptable?" He motioned slightly to the fire as his face remained expressionless.

"Yes, thank you Joreth." Her heart softened as she realized he had only lit the fire for her comfort. "So... what now?"

"I cannot be gone for long. I must return. There is more wood in there." He pointed to a large shed with an open front, with wood stacked taller than her, stacked many levels deep. That should last a good while. He continued pointing and walking through the room as he spoke. "There are sealed provisions in these crates here, this is a pump for freshwater, behind this door are chambers to relieve yourself..." Ashima followed behind as he spoke, listening carefully.

"Thank you, this is perfect." She offered him a small smile but then frowned as he simply stared at her again. "And how long do you think I'll be here?" Alone. She thought.

At this, his expressionless facade faltered and he frowned slightly. "I do not know." He stroked his chin in thought and eventually his facial expressions changed as if he was trying to decide whether or not to say more.

Eventually he sighed and looked at her again as he continued. "We have a beacon going out to the Aerulians." She gasped in surprise but kept quiet and let him continue. "Apparently my ancestors kept this one gift from the Aerulians in case of an emergency. It has never before been used." He sat on an old wooden bench beside a table and she mirrored his actions. "We are not sure how far their technology has advanced in all that time, we can't be sure they will even receive it."

"I can help!" She stood up in excitement. "I know a bit of their technology, and I know our technology, if I can take a look at it I can see..."

He held up a hand, cutting her off. "You'd never get near it without being found. Do you wish to return?" He looked up at her as he leaned his back and elbows against the table while crossing his ankles.

She opened her mouth to respond but no words came out. Her heart hammered in her chest as she sat down and exhaled loudly, feeling defeated. "What do you think I should do Joreth?" She looked at him and noticed the slight surprise in his eyes. "I don't want any harm to come to your people either. I want them to continue to thrive and grow and be happy. If me leaving is truly the best thing for everyone, then that's what I need to do. But I..."

She swallowed, her throat suddenly feeling thick and dry, her next words coming out in a whisper. "The longer I remain the harder it will be for me to leave. I already feel so... " she drew in a breath. "Conflicted."

"Conflicted? About what, exactly?"

She glanced at him but quickly looked down at her hands. "My first days here I was so scared. All I wanted was to flee this planet and return to my ship, to my crew, my friends. Even though I knew that wasn't possible. Then all I wanted was to return home to my planet, to my family." She drew in a breath.

"Family?"

"Just the one, actually. My grandfather is all I have left now. I can't imagine how worried he must be. I wonder if he still holds hope that I am alive or if he has already grieved for my death." At this, she did finally let tears run down her cheek. But she quickly sucked them in and wiped her face.

"Your wish is different now?" Joreth asked, offering her a cloth he seemed to pull from thin air.

She glanced at him again, not comforted by his expressionless face. She sighed and wiped her nose with the cloth. "I find myself thinking of home less and less." She said softly.

A long silence passed between them before he spoke again. "And instead?"

She knew what he was asking. He was observant as well, she was sure. She looked him in the eyes, unsure of what to say, if she should say anything at all. Instead she noticed the similarities in his features to Kietnan's, as she stared at him.

Her emotions could no longer be held at bay as his face came to mind and memories flooded her. Pain squeezed in her chest as she thought of letting him go, to never see him again. Thinking of him moving on and finding a beautiful, more suitable, Qarthan woman to become his wife and give him children. Tears streamed down her face as a sob escaped her and she moved her face into her hands as she drew in deep breaths, trying to control herself but failing miserably.

Joreth opened his mouth to speak but then stiffened and stood abruptly. "Stay here"

Ashima barely had time to process his words before he disappeared up the tunnel.

Moments later she released a breath when he returned with Teluq, the female guard she had at the Grand Hall. They were each carrying a large bag.

"I would have been here sooner if I didn't have to carry both of those by myself."

"Teluq will stay here with you." Joreth ignored the guard as he spoke to Ashima.

"You mean I don't have to stay here alone?" Ashima couldn't hide her excitement.

"Of course not." Teluq said and winked at Ashima.

Relief filled her as she let out a deep breath. "Thank you." She said to both of them.

"I must go." Joreth nodded at them. "Do not let her leave the cave, Teluq."

Joreth looked at Ashima for a long moment before he nodded and left the cave without another word.

"Come on, Ashima, help me unpack this bedding." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.8K 1.6K 31
In a time when angels and demons traverse the cosmos, Khamuel's staid existence is thrown into chaos after his healer is found dead. His only chance...
13.6M 646K 64
In a freak accident, Kira, a NASA scientist, is teleported to a planet that has no women. When she's saved by an alien that thinks she's a boy, she f...
8 0 5
Current WIP of an upcoming series of novels. Ryver Zhua has adapted to her life as a nomadic trader through the galaxy, though her desire for advent...
290 19 2
She was abducted but made her own escape, or did she. He tried to protect her, but couldn't protect her from himself.