The Red Dragon | Charlie Weas...

By Neomorise

The Andorran Dragon Sanctuary has been dealing with poachers attacking and killing their dragons and to aid... More

Before you start reading
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19

Chapter 11

125 8 0
By Neomorise

The following morning, the four of them are seated at the table in the kitchen as Josué's grandmother walks around, serving them breakfast and pouring them coffee. Haela downs her first cup of coffee in one go before accepting a refill from the older woman, who smiles kindly at her. Breakfast is a quiet affair with everyone still a little tired from last night.

The plan for the night is to visit a nightclub called 'Devil's Delight' where Charlie is set to meet Rafael Rius. Haela will accompany the Dragonologist while Josué and Kadrick will stay close but not be present when they meet Rius. Thus, Josué deems it necessary to brief Haela and Charlie about how they have to deal with any possible suspects. Haela suppresses the urge to roll her eyes – she knows how to deal with criminals, thank you very much – but pays attention nonetheless. Charlie doesn't have much experience and she doesn't want him to get hurt. The thought alone has her feeling strangely terrified.

After a late dinner – courtesy to Josué's grandmother who is set on feeding them until they are filled to the brim – the four of them get ready. It's quite a walk to the nightclub and even though Charlie has an 'appointment' they don't know if they'll get in as easily as they did at the casino.

Haela changes into a black top with a pair of cream-coloured pants. After putting on her sturdy boots, she grabs her wand holster and attaches it to her forearm. Haela bites off a sound of pain as she tightens the holster. It's not ideal but she isn't going in without her wand close.

Not with Charlie's life on the line, a voice in the back of her head hisses and Haela shakes it away.

Kadrick enters the room, already dressed in a pair of jeans and a dress shirt, and falls down onto his bed. Haela looks at him through the mirror and raises her eyebrows.

"Are you sure you two can handle this?" the Hit Wizard asks, moving to sit with his back against the wall.

"Do you think we can't?" Haela counters, combing through her short curls with one hand, trying to get them to do what she wants them to do.

"Don't put words in my mouth, Peucag," Kadrick says, crossing his arms, "I'm just asking if you are sure you two can handle this. Josué and I will be close, but we probably won't be present when you speak with the man."

Haela gives up on her curls and turns around to face the Hit Wizard. Kadrick appears concerned. She sighs as she sits on her bed, "Charlie and I will be fine. I'm sure Josué already gave him a lecture about thinking through plans in the future."

A laugh escapes the Hit Wizard and Haela smiles at him.

"Alright," Kadrick nods, looking slightly less worried, "Just, be careful, OK?"

Haela nods dutifully. A voice from the hallway calls something, followed by Josué's head appearing around the door. He looks between Kadrick and Haela and asks: "Ready?"

Charlie is already outside, wearing the same pair of black slacks he wore last night but with a light-blue, short-sleeved dress shirt. The ink on his bicep is visible and Haela can't help but wonder what the full depiction is on Dragonologist's body and how far it stretches. Maybe he has more, a small voice in the back of her head wonders, tattoos always get her a little hot and bothered. Haela pushes it away, she has better things to focus on than what tattoos the red-haired man has.

When Haela looks up, Josué looks at her expectedly.

"Hm?"

Kadrick snickers and Haela glares at him.

"I said, 'It's quite a walk before we get to the club, perhaps we should go over the plan again'," Josué says, looking between Charlie and Haela.

Haela sighs, suppressing the urge to roll her eyes, and summarizes: "Go to the club, speak with the contact, and set up a meeting with the possible bokor while trying not to draw any suspicion."

She grabs Charlie's hand and entwines their fingers. The Dragonologist startles lightly as Haela grabs his arm with her free hand and angles her body towards him. Haela ignores him. Instead, she bats her eyelashes at Josué and adds with a large, fake smile: "You do think this is my first time undercover, Barrés?"

Josué looks between Haela and Charlie with narrowed eyes before muttering something in Catalan under his breath and turning to the front door. Haela lets go of Charlie's hand – a part of her mourning the loss – and takes a step aside.

The four of them step outside. As they walk to the nightclub, Haela can't help but look over at Charlie. The man appears more confident than he did yesterday when they were headed for the casino and Haela wonders again if he has done something like this before. Being a Dragonologist surely doesn't involve having to attempt to secure a meeting with poachers and not for the first time, Haela muses whether Charlie would rather return to the sanctuary.

"Hey," Haela says, nudging the red-haired man's shoulder with her own, "Are you still on board with all of this?"

Charlie looks up, his blue eyes bright in the light of the street lanterns. Something flashes through his expression but it's gone before Haela can identify it. Instead, Charlie smiles at her, flashing his bright white teeth.

"Are you having doubts, Peucag?" the man counters, poking Haela in her side which causes her to let out an embarrassing squeak.

"I'm not having doubts," Haela hisses, batting away the man's hand, "I'm only checking in on you. I'm sure that when you decided to become a Dragonologist you didn't think you would end up doing something like this."

Charlie shrugs, "No, but if this stops the attacks on our dragons, I'm willing to do anything."

There is a spark of determination in Charlie's eyes as he speaks and, inexplicably, Haela's heart leaps at the sight.

Before either of them has a chance to say something else, Josué and Kadrick stop walking. When Haela looks up, she notices they are standing in front of a large building that stands out in the neighbourhood. There is a large neon sign with the words 'Devil's Delight' on the facade of the building, illuminating the night. Two bouncers – large, beefy men – are standing before the large doors. There is a line-up of club-goers waiting to get inside, running along the building and rounding the corner. A few people linger around the doors, smoking and laughing. Even outside, Haela can hear the base of the music pumping and see the strobe lights pulsing.

"Are we supposed to wait in line?" Kadrick eyes the line with a frown before looking at Josué.

"Well, our Dragonologist is supposed to have a meeting," Josué answers, looking over his shoulder at Charlie, "Let's hope your new friend put you on the guest list."

Without another word, the Andorran Hit Wizard crosses the street. Haela turns to Kadrick and mutters: "This looks like a Muggle club."

Kadrick assesses the building on the opposite side of the street and shrugs. "If Josué believes this is the place, it'll probably be where we're meant to go."

The Andorran Hit-Wizard in question has strolled over to the bouncers in front of the entrance as if he does it every night. Quickly, Haela, Kadrick, and Charlie follow the man before they are left outside.

As expected, they are prevented from entering by one of the bouncers. The man looks them up and down before grumbling something in Catalan. Josué answers. The bouncer huffs before shaking his head and moving to make a gesture for them to get lost.

Haela and Kadrick share a look. Is this the wrong club?

Josué says something but the bouncer doesn't budge. From the queue of club-goers waiting to get inside someone yells something in Catalan and Haela feels ogled. This is most definitely a Muggle club.

Suddenly, the doors of the building open, and a young woman steps outside. She takes one look between Josué and the bouncers and asks something in Catalan. Josué answers before the bouncer can and the woman's face lights up. In a flash, she produces a wand and discreetly casts a spell before smiling brightly at them.

"Good evening," She greets enthusiastically in English, bouncing up and down, "Apologies for these two. Muggles are rather ignorant. We can speak freely now. Your name, please."

Josué looks over at Charlie who takes a step forward and says: "Morgan, Jayden Morgan. I'm here to see Rafael Rius."

Haela and Kadrick exchange a look when the fake name rolls over Charlie's lips. Kadrick pulls a face indicating he's impressed the Dragonologist thought about using a fake name and Haela has no other choice than to agree. Charlie seemed to have put a little more thought into this whole charade than she thought.

"Congratulations, you're on the list!" the woman beams, after summoning a clipboard out of thin air and checking the list in her hands, "Mr Rius is expecting you. He'll be in the V.I.P. section. If you tell the people there your name, you'll be able to walk right through."

She gestures to the nearest bouncer to open the doors and wishes them a pleasant night before disappearing into thin air. Concerned, Haela looks at the queue of Muggles but none of them seem alarmed. Charlie looks over his shoulders to Josué before heading into the building. As she passes the bouncers, Haela looks them up and down, but her attention is soon drawn away to the interior of the club.

The beat of the music vibrates off the walls as they enter. Immediately, they are engulfed in a crowd ready to party. The smell of sweat and perfume lingers strongly in the hot air and the lights flash in all sorts of colours and patterns.

A hand entwines its fingers with Haela's, startling her slightly, and when she looks up, she sees it's Charlie. The man isn't looking at her, instead observing his surroundings. Josué and Kadrick are standing closeby, looking between them, and Josué is saying something, but Haela can't hear him through the loud, thumping music.

"What?" Haela shouts, cupping her ear with her free hand.

Josué steps closer and yells loudly in her ear: "I think the V.I.P. section is in the back, will you and Charlie be alright on your own?"

He gestures at something but Haela can't make out what he is pointing at in the dark with the flashing lights. She nods in reply and the Hit Wizard nods back.

Charlie still looks a little puzzled but when Haela smiles at him, he smiles back. She exchanges one last look with Kadrick who sends her a thumbs-up. It's all Haela needs. She tightens her grip on Charlie's hand and pulls him into the crowd leading into the main room of the club. Time to find those poachers.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

86.7K 2.2K 32
Pandora Black was the youngest Black sibling. She was close to both of her brothers, even Sirius, though he had left home when she wasn't even old en...
107K 3.1K 88
{Won 3rd place on the Sorting 2021 Competition} A mixture between Harry Potter books lore and Hogwarts: Mystery game A Charlie Weasley x OC story fro...
23K 1.4K 49
Attention, potential readers of my book! Brace yourselves for a rollercoaster of emotions, because in "My Missing Piece (Harmione)," you'll find more...
1.8K 146 71
Written in first person, this is story of a Ravenclaw, Mary, who falls in love with Fred Weasley. At first, it's perfect, but she learns that he has...