Lavender & Ice

By RBecMarie

Ashima has dreamed of space exploration her entire life. Finally embarking on her first mission, her excite... More

Intro!
1. Lift Off
2. Crash Landing
3. Close Encounters
4. Waking Up
5. Home Away From Home
6. A Rough Start
7. Introductions
8. An Injury
9. Exploration & Confrontation
10. Roles Reversed
11. Expanding the Palate
12. Breaking the Dam
13. Warm Feelings
14. Progress
15. Stockholm?
16. Conversation
17. Answers
18. Exploration
19. The Harsh Truth
20. Frustration
21. A New Danger
22. The Brothers
23. Meeting the Family
25. Response from the Homeland
26. Arrival at the Homeland
27. Meeting The Premier
28. Answering the King and Queen
29. Zein's Vengeance
30. A Not So Happy Reunion
31. The Brothers Questioned
32. Reunited
33. First Look at the Homeland
34. Spending the Day Together
35. You're a what?!
36. Is This a Date?
37. Taking a Leap
38. The Truth Comes Out
39. Searching
40. A New Dwelling
41. Contact
42. Joreth's Decision
43. Heartbreak
44. Aftermath
45. Nothing Good
46. Another Foe?
47. Running out of Time
48. A Cruel Reunion
49. Rahn's POV
50. Where do we go from here?
51. A New Family
Author's Note / 2nd Book

24. A Warning

3.7K 181 18
By RBecMarie

"How was I to know?!" Joreth said in defense as his brothers all glared at him in the waiting area of the medical tent.

Kietnan growled loudly in frustration. "You didn't bother to ask any questions, you simply made judgments."

"I didn't make her eat that fruit."

"Be still, Kietnan." Kahal commanded, patting his brother on the shoulder before turning to the other. "Joreth." He said coldly. "A sentient life that has shown no ill will towards us or our people has fallen ill due to your thoughtless words and actions. If you can feel no remorse then please at least try to hide your prejudices. You greatly disappoint me this morning."

"Kahal!" Joreth protested angrily.

"Enough. There are no excuses for your rude and disrespectful actions."

"My...!" Joreth scoffed. "And what of your precious little brother's actions?!" Joreth spewed. "In fact all three of you are disgracing our ancestors by going against their guidance and befriending this alien."

"She seems nice." Othen offered quietly.

"Of course she does! How else would she weaken our defenses if that were her plan?" At the looks his brothers gave him, he sighed and calmed his voice slightly but remained firm. "Even if she has no plans and all is as it seems. Just by her being here, she will have an effect on our way of life, our customs, our traditions. This is what the ancestors were trying to protect us from."

"Joreth, enough." Kahal responded. "This talk of yours is meaningless. In case you haven't noticed, there is no prison here, no guards. She had to be kept somewhere. Our brother is very capable so it is as good a place as any."

"Unsupervised for most of the time, while he is away."

"She has done nothing wrong!" Kietnan yelled at his brother. "And you have harmed her!"

After a long moment of staring angrily at his brothers, Joreth marched toward the door. "This will not end well." Joreth growled at his youngest brother before pushing the waiting room door open with force and stomping out. 

~~~~~

Ashima rushed through the tent, looking for the right ingredients. She had asked Kietnan to go see if he could find her a pair of socks, telling him that hers had torn. But in reality, even though she definitely could use more socks, hers hadn't torn, she just wanted him out of the tent.

Whatever medicine the medical attendants had given her was a miracle drug. She was awake and alert, ready to go home only a few hours after eating the fruit that poisoned her. She was beginning to think perhaps this planet could be full of medical wonders. It would be an interesting topic to research, if she were allowed to.

Once back at their tent, Kietnan had fussed and worried over her all afternoon, but she wanted to do something for him to celebrate. The trials were almost over, he had made it to the final. And she wanted to cheer him up after the disaster meeting with his brothers. She even had the medical attendant, Jal, who was surprisingly turning out to be a friend, sneak some fruit into her bag while Kietnan wasn't looking before he took her home.

She smiled as she cut the fruit, remembering the drink he had made for them after the hunting trip. Surely the fruit would do nicely in a dessert. She removed the juice from all the fruit and then scooped out all of the soft insides as well. Managing to find something that seemed like sugar, she added that to the bowl of fruit and let it settle. As she looked for the flour-like substance she had seen in there previously.

As she was scooping that into a large bowl, a knock came on the door. She jumped, but made her way to the door, peeking through it as she cracked it open. "Oh! Milleck, come in."

"Greetings Ashima."

"Greeting Milleck. Is that the rest of the meat?" Milleck nodded and sat the large crate she was carrying on the table. Ashima marveled at the strength of this woman.

"As promised to Kietnan, this is the dried meat from his kill."

"Thank you." Ashima pulled out the crate that they had stored the dried meat in previously, and began to transfer the packages from Milleck's crate.

"You and Kietnan seem to be getting along well." Milleck stated dryly.

She responded as she moved the packages, her back to Milleck. "Things could definitely be worse."

"As someone who cares for him, I must warn you not to get too close."

Ashima fumbled with the package she was holding. She found her grasp again and slowly sat it down before turning to the large woman. "You do not approve of Kietnan and I being friends?"

"Friends?" The woman raised a hairless brow muscle at Ashima, staring at her accusingly before continuing. "I am no one to approve or disapprove of his actions or feelings. But despite any opinion that I may or may not have about you being friends, it is irrelevant. If you care at all for him, you will put a stop to it before it goes any further."

Ashima turned and continued to transfer the meat packages. "I take it you have a reason for saying this."

"You are not from here, you are not one of our people. Kietnan has responsibilities and expectations he must meet. Offering aid is one thing, befriending is pushing it, but to be anything more with you will be unacceptable in the eyes of our people."

She scoffed. "Perhaps your people need to open their eyes and stop being so closed minded."

"Nevertheless, in our world it would bring scandal and shame to his family. I do not have the time or energy to explain the intricacies to you, but just heed my words. It would have a huge impact on his and his family's lives. And not a positive one."

Ashima's lips pressed into a thin line as she inhaled deeply and sighed. "I understand what you are saying."

With that, Milleck took her empty crate and left with a nod. Ashima mindlessly finished her dessert, something that would resemble a fruit crumble. She placed the pan on top of the wood stove, and sat at the table, staring at nothing in particular as she thought over Milleck's warning.

She wasn't even sure if Kietnan considered her an actual friend, let alone anything more. She liked to think they were friends, but she knew he likely still just entertained her out of a sense of duty. She hadn't really considered if he'd actually ever feel attraction for her as she did for him, but at the same time she realized she wasn't exactly guarding her heart. She would need to start being more careful. After all, she wouldn't be on this planet much longer. One way or another.

This is how Kietnan found her when he returned.

"I brought you two pairs of socks, two undergarments, and another top and pants. I hope that's ok, I thought perhaps you could use more."

"Oh, OK, thank you", she said quietly as she stood to take the items from him, placing them in the drawer that had become hers.

"What's this on the stove? It smells good."

"Oh." She smiled, but it didn't reach her eyes. "That is for you. Congratulations on making it to the final." She said as she took the dessert off the stove and placed it on the table to cool. "That and a thank you for everything you've done for me."

"You didn't have to do that, but I do appreciate it. Thank you."

"You are welcome. I just need to make something for the top, and then it will be ready. Would you rather eat it after supper or while it's hot?

She gathered the sugar, and mixed it with a little water and a substance she compared to honey, working at the table with her back to him.

"Can I eat it now?" She jumped slightly when his voice came from right beside her, watching the actions of her hands as they worked on the simple glaze.

She drew in a deep breath, exhaling it shakily as she stepped away from him and drizzled the glaze over the top of the crumble. "That's fine. Here, it's ready. She stepped away from him, grabbing a plate, fork, and a large spoon. She scooped out a large portion and placed it on the plate for him, then stepped away.

"Aren't you trying any?"

"I added ingredients I wasn't sure of for myself, and after this morning... I didn't want to push it." She said sheepishly, wrapping her arms around herself.

"Come sit with me?" He asked, eyeing her curiously.

"I... I'm actually feeling tired. I think I'll turn in, if that's ok."

"Here." He stood and pulled out a chair. "Rest while I prepare something quick for you to eat before you go to bed."

"No, no." She waved her hands to stop him. "Today has just been a bit... much. I really just want to go to sleep. Thank you, though." She took in a sharp breath and began walking quickly toward the dresser to retrieve her sleeping clothes.

"Shima, what Joreth said at breakfast... you must not listen to him."

"He's your brother, Kietnan." She said dryly.

"Yes and even my brothers can be wrong on occasion."

"He's not the only one who feels that way, and he won't be the last. I'm not naive." She said, stuffing the sleeping clothes under her arm and closing the drawer roughly in frustration.

"They just need time to learn-"

"Really, Kietnan. It's fine, it doesn't matter anyway."

"How does it not matter?" He asked, standing behind the woodstove, five feet away from her. "Of course it matters if people are rude and judgmental of you without even knowing you."

"You're right." She sighed in agreement. "Of course, you're right. But I can't expect everyone to like me or simply accept me. And I don't want to cause tension or arguments between you and your brothers. Or anyone else, for that matter."

He opened his mouth to respond but she quickly added. "And I won't be here long anyway, right?" She added quietly as she looked down and away from his gaze.

"I do not wish for you to be sad or upset." He said quietly as he came to stand in front of her. "You do not deserve such treatment."

She dared a glance up at him and her breath caught at his serious gaze. She didn't know what to say or how to respond so she removed her eyes from his again, looking down at his neck.

She tensed and closed her eyes when his finger brushed her cheek. "Please do not cry." He said gently.

Ashima reached her palm up to her cheek and was surprised when it felt wet. She hadn't even realized she was crying. She wiped both cheeks with her hands and shook her head. "I need to rest. Please." She whispered.

"Only if you're sure you are alright."

She nodded and turned toward her cot to prepare for bed. Once ready, she curled into a ball with her back toward where he was now sitting at the table. It took all of Ashima's energy to keep her cries silent as she let her emotions out. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ashima woke with a start at the sound of banging on the door. She must have cried herself to sleep. She turned to look for Kietnan, only to realize she was alone.

A quick glance up at the skylight told her daylight was beginning.

The banging came again, louder this time. She stood quietly and debated on answering it but something didn't feel right so she hid herself away in the chest beside his bed instead.

A few moments later she heard the door burst open and several pairs of feet enter the open room.

"There is no one here." A woman's voice said.

"Search the tent... and you two, go out in search of them. Apprehend the alien, but bring Kietnan to me for questioning."

Ashima's heart jumped up into her throat and she held her breath. This was it. They were here for her. But where was Kietnan?

The chest opened and she gasped in pain as she was roughly pulled up and out of it.

"There you are."

~~~~~~

Author's Note:

Get ready, things are going to drastically change in the next chapter!

What do you think will happen?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.8K 1.6K 31
In a time when angels and demons traverse the cosmos, Khamuel's staid existence is thrown into chaos after his healer is found dead. His only chance...
102 44 22
Cantral's entra, beloved by her Emperor Haroc and hated by just about everyone else. But who needs admiration when they have a spaceship of their own...
13.6M 646K 64
In a freak accident, Kira, a NASA scientist, is teleported to a planet that has no women. When she's saved by an alien that thinks she's a boy, she f...
535 102 19
"When just being alive makes you a target, you learn to keep your head low." Being a nurse in an ER clinic, Eileen never had much time for romance. E...