Nine Shillings

By SisterQuill

COMPLETE Not a Hero. A Different Kind of Monster. Lot saved the dude. But can she get the guys and live chaot... More

Prison With a Difference
Impact Injuries
Crumpled Paper
An Infuriating Man
Contracts
A Fluster For The Ages
Breaking and Entering
Off To The Station
Stirring Embers
A Watching Case
Things Come Back To Bite
Toast And Marmalade
Cups Of Coffee
Meeting at the Mortuary
Important Research
Time to Scrub Up
Don't Let the Monsters Get You
Broken Threads
Only Thinking
Ever So Sweet
An Axe-cident
In The Garden
Measuring Up
Quiet Afternoons
Just a Little Loathing
Old Scars
Got a Spine
Troublemaker
A Comfy Place To Nap
A Place To Anchor a Frigate
Surprise! Surprise!
Pleasure And Pain
Are You Going To Drink That?
Atticus And Athena
Past Lives
Happy Endings
Grown-Up Fears
Growing Predictable
Covent Garden
Mind The Nose
A Pretty Face
Sabotage and Stubbornness
Travelling By Coach
Magic Memories
Dominance
Bare Ankles
False Apologies
A Tale of Two Teas
Keeping Secrets
Rituals
The Wolf and The Lamb
Playing at Bragging
An Apple a Day
Spice Pirates
Fool's Gold
A Waste Of Cake
Old Wounds
Taking Tea
Got Wood
Complications
Den Of Thieves
Blood And Trust
Home Truths
Making Assumptions
Night Hauntings
Taking A Gamble
Safe Place
The Nellyphant in the Room
Puzzle Pieces
In The Wind
Weak Spots
Location, Location, Location
Second Chances
Promises
Three's a Crowd
Spare The Rod
Moments of Perfection
Return to The Rooftop
News Of The Day
When One Case Closes
Loose Ends

To The Victor The Spoils

8 2 0
By SisterQuill

London - 1842

'Rawr look after Nellyphant, Muma ties good knots,' Edward said as I tied the string of his new wooden nellyphant with little red wheels to Rawr, the string chafed his wrist if I tied it to him.

'You have to practice,' I said.

Bran coughed in the midst of persuading Mary to put on her coat.

'Don't wanna coat,' she said. 'I want armour. I can't be a knight without armour.' She waggled her wooden sword.

'Mummy doesn't wear armour.' Bran leaned to avoid the swing of her sword.

'Mummy's magic,' Mary said in her all-adults-are-silly voice.

'I wasn't always magic and I wore a wool jacket.' I handed Edward Rawr and he tugged her to make his nellyphant roll.

Mary put one arm out in a silent demand for her coat.

Edward gave me a hug. 'Hot, hot, hot. Muma, poor-poor?'

'Nothing a nap won't cure.'

'Kiss it better.' He gave me a slobbery kiss.

'I feel much better already.'

'Kisses are magic.'

'They are,' I said. 'Now, remember to hold Papa's hand so he doesn't get lost.'

'Don't want to lose Pappy,' Mary said as Bran fastened her coat.

'Papa's going to buy us tasty ice,' Edward said.

'Yum, yum.' I looped the end of a long piece of ribbon round his wrist then handed the loop at the other end to Bran to put round his wrist, we had to stop Edward wandering off somehow, he was fast when he got going.

Millie thudded down the stairs follow by Merry. 'Are you ready yet, tinies?'

'I'm not tiny.' Mary stamped her foot.

'I am.' Edward put his hand out to Bran. 'Me an' Rawr keep you safe, Papa.'

Bran had to stoop to hold his hand. 'I'm sure you will.' He took Mary's hand too.

'I'm not tiny,' she said. 'I'm a big girl, Millie's just... giant, like... a really big thing.'

Bran gave me a kiss. 'Sort everything out, will you?'

I cupped his face and kissed him back. 'I'm persuasive.'

'Yucky kisses,' Mary muttered.

He glanced at the children and decided not to elaborate. 'Ready for the park?'

They cheered and I shut the door in their wake. I leaned against it and, with no need to hold on I relaxed a fraction. Energy was burning through me, pressing against my skin with the desire to escape. My nails lengthened to black claws and my fingers looked frostbitten to the knuckle. I pushed away from the door leaving glowing handprints behind. I shoved the energy back down and the frostbite receded.

Josef was lying on his bed with his hand over his eyes having dressed in his shirt and trousers and then decided bed was better.

'If you're not going to let me give you some of this energy at least go out and eat because being tired isn't helping.' I shut the bedroom door.

'I'm too tired to go hunting and my magic probably wouldn't work if I did.'

'What do you do then?' I asked. 'Just lie there till you die?'

He eyed me through his fingers.

'That's what happens to people,' I said. 'I've seen it.'

'It'll take some time but I'll adjust.'

'I'm glad you'll adjust because I'm going to bloody burn up.'

He lowered his hand and looked at me. Without the children to try and hide it from I was tattooed with veins of energy, even paler than usual, and my hair threaded with white.

'I have no intention of burning up.' I sat down on the bed. 'Either, I release this energy in the garden and you lay there and wallow in your chivalry, or I give it back to you.'

He stared.

I raised my hand and energy jumped between my blackened fingertips. 'I sucked in a big chunk of two millennia old vampire, and it wasn't the big chunk I was thinking of sucking.'

He chuckled then pushed himself up, groaning. 'I'm trying to think of a polite way to say I forgot you aren't as powerful as me.' He cupped my cheek.

I smiled. 'Flattery.' I leaned in. 'Ready?'

'Yes.'

I caressed his soft beard, touched my lips to his and exhaled. Veins of energy spread through his skin and disappeared. I drew away.

He licked his lips. 'That wasn't enough.'

'Don't you want to make it a little bit fun?' I hovered close to his lips but didn't touch.

He grinned, slid his hand under my dress, and caressed my ankle. 'More, please?'

'As you were polite...'

He smiled and I breathed a little more energy into him. My lips and tongue tingled. I inhaled the cut wood scent of him and exhaled cinnamon magic. The burn beneath my skin lessened, there was too much energy and not enough of him.

He lifted me onto his lap. My hand crept under his shirt and I spread my fingers against his stomach, his wiry hair was rough against my skin. He pressed into my touch. I slipped his shirt off, fingers caressing his chest, and tossed it aside. I lingered close enough for my breath to warm his lips. He leaned in. I shoved him down, he hit the pillows with a thud, grinning.

I moved slowly up his chest, mouth so close to his skin my breath raised goosebumps. I followed his hair up to the base of his throat where it was thinnest, threading energy into him with touch and breath, and kissed the hollow. His excitement was sharp against my tongue.

'Where'd you learn that?' he whispered.

I smiled. 'Same principle as exchanging energy with the earth.' I licked the hollow of his throat and blew gently.

His hands clenched on the pillows.

My lips touched his ear. 'You're not second best.'

His beard scratched my face. 'I know.'

I kissed him softly, then deeper. My hands explored him, he was solid and hot, thrumming with shared energy, his muscles flexed beneath my touch. Our kisses turned fierce, hands all over, bodies grinding together.

Relief flooded me, he was safe, I hadn't let myself feel how tight with worry I'd been, I was good at that.

'I want you, Josef,' I whispered between kisses,

He grinned.

Clothes stood no chance against vampire strength; my fashionable dress was turned to patches and Josef lost his buttons. Hungry hands groped skin hard enough to bruise. Fangs broke lips and skin. We breathed energy between us. With no-one else home to hear, he was loud in his pleasure, grunting and groaning a rhapsody. His body grew taunt with approaching climax and he grabbed my hips to show me what he needed, like I'd encouraged him too. I pressed my hands to his chest and whispered encouragement. He came declaring me his fierce dragon.

I collapsed against him and we lay in a breathless heap.

'Hmmm, now I feel better,' I murmured and caressed my hand across his chest. 'You sound delicious when you're enjoying yourself.'

He kissed me. 'What do I sound like?'

I pretended to consider, drawing absent-minded patterns on his chest with my fingertip. 'A hungry bear?'

He chuckled. 'You've never heard a bear.'

I shrugged and nuzzle his nose.

He laughed, dug his fingers into my hair, and kissed me. His arms wrapped around me and held me close as I dozed, natural weariness replacing magical high.

'Thank you,' Josef murmured.

'It was your energy.' I sighed. 'Frankly, you can keep it.'

He chuckled. 'So... How long do you think we have before they get home?'

I raised my head. 'Long enough.'

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 40 5
"Roses are red, violets are blue, I have got five fingers, the middle is for you." "If being sarcastic burned calories, you would have been one hell...
18.2K 569 32
"I'm sorry Luna," I said, with the little bit of respect I could muster and slightly bowed my head. "But I can't simply forgive you. You're still thi...
876K 26.8K 35
"And how does that make you feel?" "You want to know how I feel when she refuses to suck my cock?" Red blotches donned on Isabella's cheeks. He had n...
1.1K 363 94
[COMPLETE] Lot Maguire gets you right in the heart. Literally. Lot never believed in love. Now she may be falling for two old vampires. She thought...