Taken || Lego Monkei Kid

By Smiles4Alifetime

The day the war ended was the day Sun Wukong welcomed his new son into the world, and the day he put his Staf... More

Lotus Thief
Little Flower
Angels
The Witch's Return
Scars and Missing Pieces
Quiet Dreams
Lost For the Final Time
Good-Bye Old. Hello New!
When you know, you know.
Cracks in the Wall
Dreams or Reality?
Old Promises
Broken
Come with me
A Head Start
Art/Fan art for this story
Starting Line
Short Distance
Puzzle Piece
Golden Eyes
Best Friend (Retry)

10th Birthday

290 12 26
By Smiles4Alifetime

MK sat on the swings with a heavy frown. Beside him, his best friend kicked herself off with her feet, swinging back and forth quietly.

"You can look at him all you want, it's not changing that he's my Grandpa." Mei says. Across the park, seated in a flourishing robe, was Mei's "Grandfather". His name was Ao Lie, and this Grandpa did not look like any other Grandpa MK had seen.

His hair was white like a Grandpa, but his face held no wrinkles. His eyes were shimmering and his voice was soft. He had a sweet smell to him that MK liked, drawing the child's eye and keeping his attention. He was like... like...

A puppy. A really beautiful puppy.

Grandpa's shouldn't be puppies. They should be old senior dogs who smell like butterscotch and go on and on about their own childhood. This man looked more like Mei's uncle and looked even younger than her own parents.

"Are you sure though?" MK asked, shaking his head. It boggled his mind. For the fifth time, Mei angled her head back and groaned.

"Yes!!"

"It just doesn't make any sense!" her friend insisted. "He looks so young! Grandpa's are supposed to be old and wrinkly and gummy. And have like a cane, that they walk with cause their back is weirdly arched and they get smaller for some reason!"

"You watch too many shows, MK." Mei shrugged, despite several elders with those exact descriptions walking by. MK gestured to them pleadingly, ignored by his friend. "He just looks young. He's got good genes." Mei pulled out her phone, tugging MK closer to snag a selfie with him.

MK gave a dashing wink and smile, always so photogenic, before saying. "But he isn't wearing jeans?"

Mei lowered her phone with a frown, eyes narrowed at him. "...." she shook her head, refusing to explain or correct. "He's family, that is all you need to know." giving her grandpa a wave, Ao Lie smiled and waved back. He felt rather out of place in his attire, sitting beside Mei's suit wearing Mother. She was busy replying to emails on her phone, glancing up from time to time to watch Mei and MK play. "He's been training me lately too." Mei leaned closer to MK to whisper this.

"Train?" he asked, tugged along to join her on the monkey bars. As she grabbed the first one MK was tearing through the rest, swinging with ease. His hands never hurt like the other kids did when they played on the monkey bars for some reason. He could stay on these all day.

Mei took some time to climb to the top of the monkey bars and sit, "Yeah." she nodded, "He's gonna teach me how to kick butt!" she pumped her fist in the air. Though, there was far more to it than that. Especially since she would be turning 10 soon and would be having her coming of age ceremony. It was a private event between her family and her. Otherwise she would eagerly invite MK to her birthday party. They had never celebrated their birthdays together despite being friends all these years.

"He's gonna teach me about our ancestors and history and some cool moves." she tells MK, who gave a tilt of his head. He looked ahead, a strange look she couldn't define in his eyes.

"Oh. That sounds nice." he says, kicking his legs idly.

"It's gonna be boring honestly. History is boringggg." Mei grouched. She glanced at MK, that look still there. She tapped her fingers against the bars, not sure what to say. "Um..."

MK turned with a smile, catching her off guard. "The history is still yours." he tells her quietly. "Something that you can proudly say is yours and that you are part of." his expression softened, hiding the jealousy he felt in his chest. "I hope you have a lot of fun with your Grandpa."

Melt felt a strange tightness in her heart, but not sure why. "Y-Yeah." she nodded. Glancing away, unsure how to solve this odd sensation, she mumbled, "...So now you believe he is my Grandpa?"
"He can be whatever he wants to be to you." MK lifted his nose, clearly still not believing Mei's words.

"He is!!" she hooked her feet against the bars and leaned back, flipping right off. Landing on her feet MK followed, snickering. Mei huffed and gave him a nudge, "Tag!" she burst into a run in the other direction. MK scampered after her. They laughed and ran around, circling Mei's new bicycle. Everyday she would show up to show MK, as well as teach her friend how to ride it.

She was shocked to learn he had never been taught to ride a bike before this week. He was a quick learner of course, but how had he never ridden one before? He just laughed it off, saying he just never got around to it.

Almost tackled into the grass, Mei bounced over MK's head, pressing her palm to his shoulder for some leverage. He slid to the ground with a huff, following her. They cackled as they ran, pausing only when they got to the street.

Mei glanced down at it, noticing something amazing. "MK look!" Mei gasped, gesturing down the road. Placed there by some older kids the other day, was a man made ramp. It was held precariously by a wooden plank and some cinder blocks. The two 9 year olds side eyed the other, smirking.

"Wanna jump it?" MK cooed.

Mei flicked the bell of her bike, "I've already jumped it 5 times in my brain." She offered MK to man the steering, opting to stand on the end of the bike and hold onto his shoulders.

Clipping his helmet on, which in truth was just one of Mei's old helmets he was borrowing, the young boy eyed the path. It was uneven and rocky, with the ramp angled right towards the stairs behind it. If that wasn't enough, the plank looked rather decrepit, left out to the elements probably too long.  "This looks wildly unsafe." MK comments, gripping the handles of the bicycle. He readied his feet at the pedals, prepared. "So let's do it!" he cheered. With the confidence of someone whos' done this countless times, despite having never done it once, he pushed the bicycle forward.

"Onward!" Mei pointed forward. MK pushed the pedals forward, charging the bike. Shooting across the downward hill he pedaled as fast as he could, gaining enough speed to shoot across the ramp. They made it halfway up it before the plank snapped in two.

The two were spiraling, off balance and teetering towards the steps. MK attempted to turn, but his reaction speed was too slow. They flew over the steps with equally matching squeaks, knowing they would most likely crash when they reached the bottom.

MK screamed. Mei did too but opted to also yell a very loud and obvious curse word. MK covered his mouth and one of his ears in shock as their bike angled and flipped.

She used the F word!!!!!

As MK was flipping through the air, a spark of green crossed his vision. He could see Mei, hovering beside him with a glow in her eyes. It was only then that MK wondered if her eyes had always been so green.

With a wink, unfazed by the situation, Mei snatched his arm. As quickly as it happened they were landing on the ground in a spark of green energy. All without so much as a single bruise. MK's head was spinning, glancing left and right to what just happened. He was positive they were on their way to broken bones and a visit to the hospital but...

"How...?" he touched his head, looking up at Mei in awe. For a moment he thought he saw- No. No it couldn't be. It wouldn't make sense of Mei to have horns.

"You okay, MK?" Mei grinned, patting his back. "You took quite a tumble. Ya clutz~ gotta be more careful." she patted off MK's shoulders for him, speaking before the boy ever had a chance to even open his mouth.

MK hunched forward, "Y...You were on the bike with me?" he says, frazzled.

"Details." she waved it off. She turned her head when she heard rapidly approaching footsteps coming from the stairs. She flinched when her Mother came into view. Hands on her hips and steaming, she rushed over to the two. Quickly she cupped Mei's face to check her for injuries. When she saw Mei wasn't hurt, she looked at MK next. Quietly, disturbingly silent in how she didn't say a word. It left the two children on edge, knowing the dam of furious yelling was about to break.

Only when she was done checking them for injuries did she speak, "Mei...! What were you thinking just now?? You could have gotten MK hurt." she scolded. Ao Lie was coming up behind her, moving slowly in his elegant robe. His hand was resting on the rail, eyeing Mei with a curious smile. Having seen it all, especially how she had managed to get the both and the bike out of harm's way.

Her power was growing...

"Are you both alright?" he asked quietly.

MK nodded, "Yeah, I'm okay." he glanced at Mei, still reeling at what exactly had happened. He was looking down at himself and the bike, scratching his head.

"We were fine Mom, see?" Mei gestured to them both.

Her mother wasn't having this, steaming, "And don't think for even a minute I didn't hear the profanity you purposely used!" Mei shrunk to this, glancing to the side. "You are grounded for the next two days, young lady." Mei's mother says, hand on her hip and her finger pointing to Mei. The child gasped, but didn't let it deter her for long. It was something she was used to after all.

"I can never be contained!" she turned and ran, "Long live the rebellion!"

"Young Lady! You get back here!

MK watched the two run off, left alone with Mei's Grandfather. He glanced at the man, admiring the beauty of this strange person. He didn't quite seem real, a glow to him almost. Noticing MK's stare, the man gave a warm smile.

MK glanced down. He had been nervous to talk to him before, so he hasn't approached. Now alone with the man, he shifted his weight. "...Hello sir." he says awkwardly.

Ao Lie gave a cheerful smile to the boy. "Hello. You must be MK. Mei has told me so much about you." looking the child up and down, he felt himself tilt his head. Strange... "You seem kind of familiar to me." Ao Lie admits, tapping his chin. It was a strange sensation. Something buzzed like an alarm in the back of his head, but gave no hint as to why.

MK glanced at himself then frowned, puzzled, "You don't seem familiar to me." he gave a quizzical look, "Are you sure you are Mei's Grandpa? You look too pretty to be her Grandpa. More like... a big brother. Or Uncle." he started to circle Ao Lie. The dragon in disguise tensed, giving a sheepish laugh.

"Oh... I get that alot." Perhaps he should go by Uncle though. It would get him a lot less stares.

"Do you live in town?" MK asked.

"No, I live somewhere else. I'm just visiting for a time." he explained.

"Are you gonna teach Mei some cool moves?"

"Did she tell you that?"

MK nodded, "She said she was going to be an awesome Ninja."

Ao Lie mused, "Well, I'm not sure about that. It might just teach her some patience though. Maybe..." he trailed off. Glancing around, Ao Lie asked, "Are your parents around too?" he asked, certain they would be worried to know their child almost fell down a flight of stairs.

MK shook his head, "No, I came alone. I live close by." which wasn't a lie. The orphanage was right around the corner so he was free to come to this park whenever he wanted so long as he got back before dark. "Why is your hair white?"

"Cause I was born like this?" Ao Lie says. More and more questions filtered out of MK's mouth, overwhelming the man. He did his best to answer them all, brain frazzled by the time Mei and her mother returned. Together they all walked back up the steps to return to the park. Once within, Mei's Mother gave a small bow of her head to MK.

"Apologies, my dear." she patted MK's head. "I'm glad you were unharmed today. You should go back to your parents now, alright?" With Mei tossed over her shoulder, her Mother headed for the car, dragging the bike with her.

Mei grumpily sighed, waving to MK in passing. "Bye MK! See you later!'

MK waved back, "Bye Mei!" he waved, standing alone in the park as he watched the family leave. Looking at Ao Lie he gave a little nod to him.

The dragon family headed to the car quietly, Mei tossed into the vehicle with a whine. "Ughhh." she pouted, folding her arms.

Ao Lie paused, turning his head to look at the back of the retreating 9 year old. Something about him was just so familiar but he couldn't put his finger on it. He had met so many people in his lifetime, sometimes it was hard to recall them all. Perhaps a human ancestor he knew long ago?

It was all in the child's smile...

Like sunshine breaching through clouds.

Ao Lie sighed, tilting his head in thought. Joining Mei and her Mother in the car they headed back towards the Manor. He sat quietly in his seat, staring out the window as this question plagued his waking mind. It bothered him. It really really bothered him. The entire car ride, Ao Lie thought about this, and all the while unable to come up with an answer. He was drawn back to reality when a conversation started.

"Honestly Mei, you can't keep just throwing yourself into situations head on. Especially when you know they are dangerous. One day you are going to get yourself hurt. Or worse, someone else." her mother says, her voice going soft. "MK isn't as sturdy as you are, honey. He's a normal boy."

"But we didn't." Mei's voice rumbled out of her chest, some steam coming from her nose as she exhaled. "And MK was fine. I made sure of that."

Ao Lie shook his head a little, reminded of his sister and how they both were when they were children. It was actually why he was here. He had been gone these last few years for some personal training and reflection- Heavy reflection. He tried not to think of his reason for leaving- plagued by Magenta eyes that shook him. He had resigned himself from such... indulgences. Yet, one look from this particular soul had him undone. They had bore into his soul and took hold of him so fiercely he had fled to the western mountains of the mortal realm.

The name of this person was something he dare not even speak, drawing memories that he couldn't overcome. In all his years, he was still running away from responsabilities.

"Grandpa?" Mei's voice caught his attention.

"H-Huh?" he jumped. "Oh, yes... Um..." After all this time was only drawn back when his recent grand-daughter had shown strong ties to the dragon blood coursing through her veins. Her little horns that had to be hidden by a glamor were evident of that. He couldn't just leave her to handle these changes alone, so he returned. "You had good control earlier." he says to her, despite the sharp glare of her Mother. Mei grinned ear to ear, pleased. "Of course, you wouldn't need it if you and your friend didn't recklessly throw yourself into harm's way like that."

"We didn't know the plank would break." Mei insisted. And she would never let MK get hurt with her around. MK getting hurt was just- well it was wrong! "Plus, MK didn't notice anything."

Ao lie wanted to disagree that MK definitely did notice something but just opted not to say anything cause it sounded too absurd.. "MK is a good friend to you." he gave a curious smile. "What is his last name again?" he asked, hoping that would help jog his memory.

Mei opened her mouth then closed it. "...Um." she frowned.

"Oh Mei, you've known him for nearly 5 years now and you can't remember his last name?" her mother chided, honestly more concerned than angry.

"Noo!" Mei huffed. She tore her brain apart to remember, realizing something strange. "I don't think he's ever told me that, actually. Yeah! He's never told me it!'' She was positive of it. She also didn't remember anyone mentioning it in school. When the Teacher would call out their names she never mentioned MK last name.

"Is MK his initials?" Ao Lie inquired.

"Oh. That could be it." Mei nodded. MK. MK. Mark Knives. Mary Knowler. MEI's KNEE. She snickered at her own thoughts, suddenly dying to know MK's full name. She would normally text him to ask, but the guy didn't have a phone. She would have to wait until later. Scratching her head, she removed the glamor that was bound to herself, letting her small horns free. She shook her head, scratching around the base of them.

"Honey, don't scratch." her mother says, offering some cream instead.

"Itchyyyy." Mei whined, taking some of the cream. Rubbing it in she smiles, "Do you think my horns will grow was big as yours?" Mei inquired to her Grandfather. Ao Lie chuckled.

"I'm sure they'll grow similar in size, yes." he sensed so much potential from this girl. Honestly, he was positive it wouldn't be long before she overtook him in power. He just hoped she would gain a sense of awareness before then.

It was 6 at night when the sun had set through the city. From the orphanage roof, a figure had emerged in a flourish of petals, circling him before fading away.

Nezha, the Lotus Prince, stood over the city with a long stare. How often has he seen this familiar sight? Making sure his cloak was adjusted he scaled down the fire escape. As he expected, the window to MK's window was open and welcoming. Nezha slipped through the window after securing the area and making sure no one else but the child in question was within. MK was currently on his bed, reading over his homework for the night. The child was reading aloud, his finger following the words as he struggled to sound out a few syllabols.

Nezha cleared his throat to catch his attention. Immediately MK slammed the book closed and grinned. "Angel!" he cooed. 

Nearly 4 years ago Nezha had promised himself he wouldn't come to see MK face to face any more than necessary. The very next day, he broke that promise to give the child some fuzzy earmuffs he could wear in substitute for his noise canceling headphones.

Since then, he has come to see MK as often as he can, which oftentimes could be one or twice a week. Since the war was over his duties had gotten a lot more lax, making it easy for him to slip away and venture to see the child. For his own safety though he forced these visitations to be limited.

"Hello, child." he nods, revealing a basket from behind his back. "Hungry?" He often brought dinner to MK on his visits. He knew the child ate of course, but he never trusted this establishment to give nutrient efficient meals. Pulling out the dishes he had made he set them out on the table. Fresh rice, some egg rolls, steamed veggies and sweet and sour chicken.

MK cheered as he rushed over, eager to eat. "Ohohoho~" he purposely held off on dinner so he could chow down on what his Angel brought him. Way better than just some flavorless soup. "Don't mind if I do~"

"How was your day?" his Angel asked as he made MK a plate of food, pulling out a canister to pour the child his weekly brew of tea. "Drink this first." he handed it to MK

Mk chugged it down rather quickly, "My day was good. Got to hang out with Mei! I also learned how to do a backflip off the fence~!" something also taught to him by Mei.

His Angel chuckled, "That sounds very good." he patted MK's head, sitting down with him to eat. It was times like these that he appreciated how MK's room was isolated from the others. Even if he wasn't necessarily sick that often anymore, they still kept strong precautions to make sure no other child got inflicted with it. Which gave MK a room all to himself. It was spacious, and perhaps just a little lonely, but it made Nezha's secret trips easy to hide. Nezha leaned against his palm, looking at the child with a quiet gaze. He will be 10 soon...

10. He could hardly believe it. How quickly the years had already passed since that day upon the mountain. Xiaotian was growing well, as far as he could tell. He didn't dare check in too much on that family. Too much prying and looks from Wukong were hard to bare.

Nezha frowned, wishing he could somehow do more. Xiaotian was living a good life with his parents. He was a little more frail then MK seemed to be, falling ill just a bit more than his brother, but he had the love of two parents and his tribe. Even if he didn't often leave the mountain itself, he was surrounded by support.

All while MK lived in an empty cold room by himself....

It made Nezha all the more grateful to the young friend MK had made. Mei was it? "So, this Mei. She is a good friend to you?" he asked. "No issues?"

MK shook his head, 'Nah." his cheeks were stuffed, chewing happily. "I got to meet her grandpa today. He was weird." he shakes his head. "And she is going to start training soon too!"

"Training?" Nezha inquired.

"To be a cool ninja!!" MK struck a pose. "At least that is what she told me."

Curious, the celestial considered that. A ninja? So long as she didn't bring any trouble to MK's life he didn't quite care what she did in her spare time. Perhaps he too should show MK a few defensive moves, in case anything happened. With a solemn nod, he mused. "I see."

MK glanced up at his Angel, who didn't touch the food he himself had brought. His Angel never really ate with him. Maybe Angels just don't need food. As always, the man remained hidden behind his robe. Sometimes MK would see colors of Pink and Red sneaking out. He once thought he saw his Angel's eyes- Dark coals as black as the sky.

MK held his hand over his eyes when asked, smiling bubbly. "How come I can't look at you?" He asked

The Angel took a moment to consider the question. "My beauty would be too much for you to handle." It was a clear tease.

MK giggled wildly at that, kicking his legs , "but now I really realllyyy wanna look." he was gonna see one day, he was sure. One day~

"Better not." The angel mused, patting the child's head. After a few moments, the angel spoke again. "It will be your 10th birthday soon. Tomorrow."

MK gave a nod, "Yeah, I'm gonna be double awesome." he had almost forgot honestly. There wasn't much of a difference between a day that was his Birthday to a day that wasn't.

"You mean double digits?"

"Double awesome~"

The angel rolled their eyes, brushing MK's bangs out of his face and adjusting his headband for him. A rather intimate gesture he found himself doing a lot more lately.  "And what is your wish for the day?" He inquired. "Are your care takers planning anything?' he frowned. He wished more than anything to storm down there and state his mind. A list of choice words in the back of his head. Of course he couldn't, but he wanted to.

"The normal stuff. Some pancakes for breakfast. I'll probably get new shoes again though." MK says, staring at his red shoes. The same brand and color he got every year. He seems to deflate a little.

"I see." Nezha locked in on the expression. MK would be alone then too. All while Qi Xiaotian would accompany his parents to the large get together celebration at Azure Lions abode the next day. Undoubtedly filled with fun and vigor. Nezha bit his lower lips, frustrated. When he dropped MK off all those years ago he was positive the child would have been adopted. After all, he himself had felt so swayed by the baby's sweet eyes and little smile. Humans were fools to now see how lovely the boy was.

"Is your friend joining you tomorrow then? The Mei girl...?" he asked hopefully. MK thought about it, and titled his head.

"Ah, I forgot to tell her." he realized. He had never once mentioned when his birthday was, so of course she wouldn't know. "I think she is busy tomorrow anyway... and grounded." he snickered.

Nezha bit the inside of his cheek. Great... Then it really would be just him. "...Are you going to be lonely?" he asked quietly. Regretting the question the moment it left his lips he watched MK lower his fork. He stared down at his food, quietly considering the question.

He nodded, breaking Nezha's heart. "Yeah." he peeked at his angel, then smiled. "But that is okay. I got to see you today, so that was a pretty good present."

Nezha's lips pulled into a grimace, feeling a wave of nausea. Oh Mk... "You deserve a party. To be surrounded by loved ones." he said this out loud like a fool. Of course MK did. And he was positive MK often thought of this himself. He didn't need him reminding the child of the obvious.

With a little bat of his eyelashes, MK glanced at the window. The look on his face was something far older then a boy his age should have. After a few moments of pause he says, "Will you come on my birthday?"

"What?" Nezha's eyes widen.

"My birthday. Will you come?" MK stared Nezha down. His expression was calm but Nezha could see the waiver in his eyes. The desperation for a yes. 

Nezha weighed the consequences. Tomorrow would be a very dangerous day to visit, considering what it tended to represent. All the celestial realm who knew this secret would undoubtedly be thinking about it. It would be hard to sneak away unnoticed, but not impossible.

Eyes flickering back to MK's, his heart was melting. The child was just too sweet to say no to. All while looking at him with such love and adoration, all which he didn't deserve. How could Nezha possibly dampen his day? You only turned 10 once after all. From this point on MK would start to grow up and gain his own independence. He wouldn't need him as much as he used to. And one day, another 10 years from now, MK wouldn't need him at all. He would be able to survive in this world on his own.

"Well..." he leaned back, slowly smiling. "Alright child, I shall visit you for a short time that day."

MK's uneasy eyes were ignited with joy. His smile was as bright as the sun itself, showing in how he leapt from his chair. He dove into the arms of his Angel, more thrilled than he could voice into words. He couldn't wait for the day now. "This is gonna be the best birthday ever!"

Nezha chuckled, patting his back. He felt small sparks of matching wonder in his chest, pleased. How could someone be so happy just from the presence of another? He would say it didn't make sense if he too wasn't excited for the idea of sharing such a special day with the boy. He titled the child's head towards him, "You didn't answer me before." he comments.

"About what?" MK kicked his legs, cheeks squished against Nezha's hands.

"What is your wish for tomorrow? Is there anything in particular you would like?" Nezha trailed his fingers over MK's head band, securing it for the boy. Out of everything he couldn't do for him, surely he could at least make his birthday enjoyable. "I'll get you whatever it is you want."

Given quite the opportunity here the child lowered his head. He stared at his feet for a while, taking the offer very seriously. "Anything?" his mouth quirked up into a cat-like smile.

Nezha felt himself frown, not liking his tone. "Within reason." he squinted his eyes.

MK grinned. "Okay, then I know what I want." he turned around just a little. Keeping his eyes down so his Angel wouldn't back away to hide his face, he took his Angel's hand. He held it, quietly fiddling with his fingers. They were strong but calloused- his Angel must use his hands a lot for work or something. "I wanna know your name." It was simple, but crushing request.

Nezha's eyes widened, almost tearing his hand away. He held still, gulping, "What?" he whispered.

MK shrunk a little, recognizing this might be something heavy to request. "You said anything so... I wanna know your name." he gave a little pleading bow of his head. "You told me your name isn't Angel, so that means you have a real name. I-I like calling you Angel but I would like to know your real name too."

"MK...." Of course out of everything it had to be something as dangerous as that. Oh, but it sure was unbearably sweet. Out of everything this boy wanted, and Nezha would happily give him anything, all he wanted was his name? It was a charming notion. "You..." Nezha shakes his head. "You sure know how to use those eyes of yours to get what you want." he poked MK's nose. "Alright." Nezha steadied himself.

Hearing those words broke the strong determination MK had. Emotions swelled, doing away with the flimsy barrier he had held onto in preparation for a no. "H-Huh?"

"Tomorrow, I shall tell you my name."

MK hugged him tight, burying his face into the man's chest. "Yes..!" he squealed in delight, tackling his Angel right into the ground. Nezha yelled, trying and failing to pry the child off him. "No take backs!"

"I will never go back on my word with you, MK." Nezha says. A trait that had caused him great suffering as of late. Loyalty, honor, responsibility- all these words felt so murky now. All he really wanted to do was make sure MK was happy, safe and loved. He just wished he was better in knowing how to achieve those things, considering MK was far from those three things.

He notes how MK lowers his gaze. A child who has already experienced many broken vows and promises, he wasn't exactly assured by Nezha's declaration. "I'll trust you then." MK whispers.

————————

The following day, within the celestial realm, fireworks was being shot in the distance of a dazzling palace. Still within sight but far enough to not disturb the sensitive ears of Monkey King's mate, they highlighted the small family in dazzling colors.

"Birthday! Birthday!" Xiaotian was singing as he danced in front of his Father's. Arm in arm they watched their son with small smiles.

At the age of 10, Qi Xiaotian's birthday was held within the new palace of the Lesser Emperor Azure. The construction for this building had been slow and took several years. This was due to Azure's biggest attention being on the people themselves. Peng and Yellow Tusk were the building's biggest driving forces, insisting that to solidify his position of power Azure should have something to match. Though, it was far smaller than the Jade Emperor's.

"I need nothing so lavish." Azure insisted. "I'm not an Emperor just to bask in fortune." Despite saying that Peng and Yellow Tusk certainly made it at least a little luxurious. It towered high above them, glowing like a beacon in the dark. The land around was untouched and flourishing, expanding miles outward into promising farmland. Every grain and crop all put to the well being of the realm. It was a symbol of hope for all who had lost their way during the war. Azure's kind heart and good will had won the heart of many with his smile alone.

"I've never seen this place at night." Liu'er admitted, feeling Wukong's hand around his waist and tugged closer. "It's quite the sight."

"Annoyingly complicated to build though." Wukong says, kissing his mate's hand. The stroll across the bridge, which led to the palace, was long but worth it to enjoy the crisp night air and dazzling views. Their little boy eagerly chirping in front of them, his fur sparkling in the sparks of color that blanketed the sky. It was a beautiful sight. Both his mate and his boy give Wukong the brightest of smiles.

The day had already been spent with the small simian family celebrating Xiaotian's birthday with the tribe, filled with songs and games. Each giving the Prince a shiny and beautiful stone the prince happily took, hugging each member of the tribe with joy.

Now, later in the afternoon, they were heading to the party with the celestial side of his family.

Dressed in a lovely light pink robe, soft flowers had been placed beside Xiaotian's ear. He gave a little twirl for his parents, who gushed and cooed at him excitedly.

"Look At you~" Wukong sniffled. "Already so big. In the double digits." He whimpered, though he himself were far beyond even the double digits.

Liu'er leaned against Wukong's shoulder, musing, "You are growing too fast, Sunspot. Before long you'll be an adult."

"Don't say that Mihou...!" Wukong covered his ears in horror. Getting a pinch to his cheek and a chuckle from Mihou, they moved down the long bridge heading towards the palace. Their son was knuckle-walking ahead of them, his tail swishing with excitement. The two had never really noticed this until now but... their son didn't often walk, did he? "Should we say something?" Wukong asked. Liu'er gave a little shrug.

Having grown up in a mild isolation with nothing but the tribe as his usual companions, of course it was obvious their child would take more after them in socializing. Always crouched and hanging from things...

"It's fine for tonight," Mihou whispered back.

Wukong snickered, nuzzling his nose against Mihou when his mate leaned against him. "For tonight. I feel like you've said that before at his last birthday."

"We'll get to it." Mihou waved it off. The two snickered, turning their heads when the palace doors opened. Warm light spilled out onto the spacious front steps, welcoming them in a yellow glow. A man appeared from the light, wearing an elegant robe and his hair cascading over his shoulder in silver waves.

"Wukong." A silky voice came from the man, welcoming him. Then, they leaped for the simian.

"Ao Lie!" Wukong extended his arms out to catch his friend in a tight hug. The two spin for a moment, the silver haired dragon chuckling. It had been far too long since he last saw his Brother. He had missed Ao Lie far more than he himself realized until the man was in his arms. "I missed you!"

"It's been too long, Wukong." he cooed, his face curled in a cat-like smile. Their forehead clicked together, nuzzling joyfully from the years that had gone by. "You look great!"

"You've hardly aged a day." Ao Lie agreed. "You must tell me your secret~"

"Oohoho~" Wukong chuckled, both doing some odd bit, pretending to be snooty and somehow avoiding their age. "You know I can't reveal my immortal secret, dearie~ It's all in the genes~ If I were to reveal my oh so secret de-aging cream, it would be over for me~"

"It must be peach scented I'm sure~" Ao Lie cooed, the two tilting their head back and obnoxiously cackling.

Liu'er folded his arms with a roll of his eyes. Below them, Xiaotian peered up at the man in awe. Long silver hair fell off his shoulders like a shimmering waterfall, tickling Xiaotian's nose when he leaned closer to smell. He smelled like the wind when he brushed against a pine tree. "Hmm." His eyes were emerald green, alluring and beautiful. When he turned to Xiaotian, the child hid behind Liu'er out of sheer embarrassment for someone so dazzling.

Macaque chuckled and patted his head, "Xiaotian, this is your Daddy's old friend, Ao Lie. The Dragon horse from his stories?"

Xiaotian thought about it for a moment, "The one who trips a lot?"

Ao Lie's hand smacked Wukong's shoulder in lightning speed, "Is that what you focus on??" he gasped.

Wukong laughed good heartedly, "I mean, am I wrong??"

"Yes! I do far more then just trip??"

"Ah right... you were also a horse, right?" Wukong snickered, getting another hit. It was nice teasing Ao Lie again. His brother has vanished so quickly he hardly had time to understand why. Even now, all these years later, he still didn't quite understand why Ao Lie had left. The man didn't exactly tell him, so it left Wukong to try and piece it together. He had a theory but... well, it was better to confirm it then assume.

"Honestly you.." Ao Lie seethed. Shaking his head, he smoothed down his robe to turn to Xiaotian. He had been eager to meet his nephew, "Hello child. I'm Ao Lie." he greeted with a smile. "You know, I have a grand-daughter who is close to your age." Ao Lie mused, kneeling beside the child.

Xiaotian gave Ao Lie an up and down look, "You're a grandpa?"  he gave a look of disbelief, cause grandpa's definitely shouldn't look so... spry. They should be older and and gross and smell like... butterscotch or something. "Are you sure...?"

Felling de ja vu, Ao Lie tilted his head. Hm? Something about the way Xiaotian asked that felt so strikingly familiar in how MK had done the same. Even their tones matched. "Uh- yup! A great great great great great-"

"Just say grandpa. You'll confuse him." Liu'er cuts in, shaking his head. Even he lost track of Ao Lie's long lineage. "What was her name again?"

"Mei." Ao Lie gushed proudly. "She is just so cute. Reminds me so much of my sister." he cooed. He paused, trailing off. "Ah but...I was half tempted to bring her with me today, but she got grounded."

"I get grounded too." Xiaotian says with an innocent blink. "All the time." 

Ao Lie paused, noticing how his parents glanced away, "Oh?"

The little monkey nodded, "Yeah. For stealing snacks in the middle of the night, and stealing Daddy's pillows and leaving them in the river, and stealing Baba's books to make forts, and stealing the Tribe's banana collections and stealing-"

"I'm noticing a stealing trend." Ao Lie notes.

"It's been a bit of an issue." Xiaotian's parents sigh, covering their son's mouth so he didn't continue to list his many behaviors.

Wiggling free he happily announces, "I also steal shiny things! I got lots at home!" he says this one with pride.

The dragon squinted his eyes, concerned. Silently mouthing the word, "Kleptomania?"

The topic aside, the four entered the palace together, welcomed by bright lights and an expansive ballroom. The palace was truly something to behold, if even it's luxury was held back by Azure's insistence.

Xiaotian scurried ahead, getting a long stare from Ao Lie since the boy was running more like a monkey on all fours. He pointed to the child, looking at his parents. Mihou and Wukong chuckled nervously, "We haven't really.. Pushed for walking on two legs." they admit. "He's happy to walk that way so..."

Ao Lie blinked a few times then nodded, "Oh, that is alright. If he prefers that way then nothing to be done there." As he said this he looked back at the child to watch the little simian do a hand stand and start walking on his hands, giggling. He quickly looked back at Mihou and Wukong. "??"

"...He does that too." they says quietly.

Ao Lie nodded, "Well... my grandbaby likes to eat glitter, so I can't judge too much." he shakes his head with a sigh. He would prefer hand walking to that any day. What mattered most was that the children were happy and healthy. It was clear how bright Xiaotian's eyes were that he was thrilled for tonight. "He's grown well, Wukong." he looked at his friend, startled when Wukong grinned. It was bright like sunshine creeping past clouds.

...Like MK's....

Ao Lie blinked slowly, rubbing his eyes when for a moment he thought he was looking at MK instead of his old friend. Odd.. Very odd. It was a thought he pushed to the side for now. Matching smiles weren't uncommon. Some people were bound to look like others in small ways. So he forgot about it, letting the thought linger in the dark expanses of his mind.

One day, he might think about it again in a different light. The day was not today.

"Did you bring my boy a gift?" Wukong was sliding next to him. Ao Lie lifted it up without missing a beat.

"I hope he likes to read." he says, having gotten the boy a rather thick tomb on the history of western art and culture. Wukong scowled, stepping away like the gift was poison.

"Why get something so boring??"

"He'll love it." Mihou says, taking the gift to put it on the present table. He was glad Xiaotian took more after him when it came to things like reading.

"Glad he takes more after you." Ao Lie mused. He had missed much of the youngling's life. He felt guilty for having been gone for so long. Even now he felt his anxiety creeping up his stomach. perhaps he had... over reacted to it all. He should just focus on Xiaotian. He turned, watching the boy, and then he saw him. All at once the blood drained from Ao Lie's face, stepping a bit behind Wukong to hide.

Speaking of, Xiaotian eagerly hand walked to his Uncles- The three war generals eagerly welcoming the boy with big smiles.

"There is the birthday boy!" Azure picked him up first, nuzzling him. "No way-" he held Xiaotian out. "This surely can't be our little XiaoXiao. Our little monkey was so small. This is practically a grown man! Look how big you are growing!" he bounced the boy a little, spurring a laugh. Tossed to Yellow Tusk the elephant tutted.

"Growing more and more. You look so much like Mihou.' he admired, ruffling Xiaotian's head. They hadn't gotten to see their nephew too much this year and they were eager to fill in the time missed.

"Oh. Look Look!" Xiaotian wiggled out of Yellow Tusk's arms to stand before the elephant. Since they brought up his Baba he was eager to show them. "I got something fun to show you." there was a playful glint in his eyes as he smirked. A reminder that, yes, he was very much like the six-eared-macaque. Stepping around Yellow Tusk to his shadow, Xiaotian gestured to it. "Watch."

Wukong was calling from the other side of the room, already a step ahead in what Xiaotina was scheming, "Not too much, okay Xiaotian? Don't tucker yourself out."

"I wont~!" he cooed. With a little dance, and a flourish off his arms, Xiaotian dramatically fell backwards- Right into Yellow Tusk's shadow. As his back touched the ground, he disappeared. The elephant's eyes doubled in size, leaning closer.

"Ah! You've established a new ability already have you?" Peng stepped forward, proudly settling his hands on his waist to look over Yellow Tusk's shadow. A little smile appeared from the shadows, following by a ghostly giggle.

Popping out like a pop rocket, Xiaotian dove right into Peng's arms. "I did! Did you like it?"

"It's very impressive, darling." Peng nodded, settling the child on his shoulders. "You'll be overtaking Liu'er in strength within the year, I'm sure."

"Har har." Liu'er rolled his eyes. "Xiaotian has been dying to show you all that for months now."

"He can stay within the shadows nearly all day." Wukong added in. Of course, this just helped the child to pass out when bed time came around. And also mess with the tribe more... and get even better at hide and seek. And exhaust his fathers... 

"How incredible." Ao Lie cooed, quite pleased to hear this news. "He really does take after you well, Liu'er. I'm curious, has he also shown any affinity to Wukong's abilities?" he asked Mihou. Trying to focus on him and him only, avoiding the strong gaze of magenta eyes looking at him.

Macaque gave a little shrug, "Kind of? Considering a lot of my own powers can mimic Wukong's, we haven't seen any show of transformations and such. Shadow manipulation seems to be his strong suit at the moment. Oh but he can use-" he was going to say something else, but was cut off.

A little evil giggle broke from Xiaotian's lips as a clone of himself appeared on Peng's other shoulder, forming from the hidden shadows of his clothes. "Can you tell who is who?" the child asked.

Peng pursed his lips. "Hmm." he rubbed his chin. "Who is the real, Xiaotian? Is it the one who just appeared... Or the one who's been on my shoulder this whole time? Hard to say, Darling, hard to say... ." he feigned ignorance, pretending to think it over. 

Xiaotian took his face into his hands whispering, "Psss it's me. I'm the real one."

Peng raised an eye brow. He whispered back,  "Sounds like something an imposter would say."

"I'm just that good at acting." The child nodded seriously. "It's okay if you are confused. You can love us both." the shadow clone nodded in agreement.

"Thanks for the assurance." Peng shook his head, chuckling

The adults snickered to his little joke. "I see he's got Wukong's cheeky side." Ao lie mused.

"Unbearably so." the child's parents nodded. Cheeky with a pension for mischief.

"You would know that if you had come to his other birthdays, mister." Wukong points out, finally pointing out the elephant in the room. Ao Lie's expression faltered, giving a sheepish smile as he rubbed the back of his head.

"Haha- yes. I suppose I would." he agreed quietly. He felt eyes on the back of his head, trying to draw his attention. He refused to look, keeping his back firmly to the generals- to Azure. "I do apologize for having been away for so long. There were some things I had to attend to."

"Is that so?" a rumbling voice made him flinch. It was Azure, his arms folded over his chest. "Pray tell, what were these duties you had to so diligently devote yourself to?" his smile is bright, but his eyes were cold. "Surely we could have assisted you with them? Had you just informed us of your departure instead of disappearing without a trace..."

Peng and Yellow Tusk glanced at each other, an unspoken concern between their eyes. They could sense their Emperor's hidden agenda to these questions, but opted not to oppose them. After all, they two wanted answers, if nothing but for Azure's sake.

"Well..." Ao Lie lowered his head, sucking his lower lip between his teeth to bit down. Nervously he twirled a strand of silver hair between his finger, "Um- training. Meditation. I was trying to find my place in the world. Decide what to do next with my life."

"Bud." Wukong frown, reaching out to wrap his arm around Ao Lie. "You could have told us if that is what you were worried about. We would have understood."

"Yeah." Liu'er's eyes softened, understanding. He himself had felt lost and unguided. It took a lot of self reflection to find the strength to carry on without following another around. "Did you find your answers?"

"Hard to say." Ao Lie shakes his head. In truth, he felt more confused and conflicted than ever before. He was convinced the years away would extinguish this compromising feeling in his chest. However, that didn't seem to be the case. It burned ever brighter, threatening to take hold and drag him down with it. He had sworn off such things that day he agreed to join his Master- fate was truly testing him, all in the shape of the towering Emperor behind him.

His stare was obvious. Seeking answers- giving way to the fury he must have in his silence. Perhaps he was waiting for a better opportunity to say what he truly wanted to? He didn't want to ruin Xiaotian's birthday afterall.

"For now, I am currently helping raise my new apprentice and grandchild, Mei. Her horns have recently started to sprout." he felt himself gush, his anxiety quelled with the thought of her. "She is a lovely child."

"T-That sounds great!" Yellow Tusk was quick to focus on that, hoping to drop any other conversation of the matter. Less this whole room burst into flames as Azure's burning gaze.

As the group chatted, a few others began to arrive. Friends from the war and other important figures Liu'er and Wukong knew respectfully. Xiaotian stared at them all with slight boredom. It wasn't until Iron Fan arrived, clad in a gorgeous red dress and draped over DBK's arm that he squeaked. He was scampering off Peng's shoulder, knowing who was right behind these two.

"Red!" Xiaotian lifted his robe a little to rush over to his friend, happily embracing him. The 12 year old patted his back, a small gift held between his hands.

"Happy birthday, XiaoXiao." he says, pushing up his glasses. He held the gift up for Xiaotian to see. "For you-"

Xiaotian snatched up the gift faster than anyone could stop him, eagerly grinning at it. "Can I open it??"

"Gee Red Son, sure is good to see you. Thanks Xiaoxiao good to see you too. You look nice today Red Son. Oh this old thing? My mother made it for me." Red Son started a conversation between himself, mocking Xiaotian's lack of conversation and his insistence a gift was more important.

The monkey gave a pout, pocketing the gift anyway. "Hi, Red Son." He grumbled. He gave a dramatics curtsy, "How long the days go by where I do not bare witness to your face. Oh! The forlong nights without your voice to pester my ears. The sight of your hair, a glow in the moonlight~ How I've missed you, my little Bull Prince~!" Xiaotian says with all the drama taught to him by his father

"That was horrifying." Peng murmured, eyeing a very smug and proud Macaque

"I deal with these two everyday." Wukong whispered to him. "Pray for me."

Yellow Tusk, Azure and Peng put their hands together for their friend, bowing their heads.

"Ugh stoppp." Red grumbled, feeling the same about the whole thing. He shooed Xiaotian away from him, smoothing down his clothes. It was a rather charming red suit hand woven by Iron Fan herself. It gave Red Son a sort of professional and grown up look that Xiaotian admired.

"Iron Fan." Liu'er stepped around the boys to welcome his dear friend, hugging her tight. He gave a nod to DBK, finding it cute how both his son and him seemed to match in the suits they wore, only apart in color. "You look nice, Bull King."

The man huffed, folding his arms. "My Wife makes only the best." he hated dressing so formally, but it seemed he too wasn't the only one forced to dress for the occasion. "You look like a kid playing dress up, Wukong." he sneered.

The simian paused from tugging at his stuffy collar, the suit tight around his neck. Freezing to DBK's clear insult, he huffed. "Careful DBK. If you lift your arms too much you'll ruin all of Iron fan's hard work." he hissed. "Maybe lay off the buffet?"

"This is pure muscle, as you are aware." DBK gestured to himself, eyes flaring.

"Boys, please." Iron Fan sighed at the two, linking arms with Liu'er. "You're embarrassing yourselves." she produced a small hand fan from her sleeve, fanning herself with it. "Let's focus on the birthday boy?"

Xiaotian was eager to take his friend's hand, grabbing at Red Son with a flick of his tail, "You ready to party??"

"I'm here, so I suppose." Red Son shrugged, not much of a party person. He would much rather be home tinkering with his latest experiments, but getting the chance to see XiaoXiao was always worth it.

"Then what are we waiting for?" Wukong snapped his fingers, gesturing for the band they had brought to start up the music. All at once it filled the air. A few more guests arrived within the next few minutes, taking up the spacious room in idle chatter. All were welcomed and wished Xiaotian a very pleasant and happy Birthday. They offered gifts and treats to the boy, setting them all on the table for him to open later. Xiaotian gazed at the table with excitement, always a large fan of getting gifts.

Forced to restrain himself though, he welcomed his guests with polite little bows, matching Macaque whenever his Father bowed his head. "Pleasure to see you all!" he says, having practiced the words and perfecting his charming little smile. The definition of a little gentleman. Easily fooling many except his parents, who knew far better.

With the party in full swing Xiaotian took that as an opportunity to slip away from the adults. While this was his birthday, yes, it was also being used as a sort of meet and greet to discuss personal and political relations. All which bored him.

So, he snagged Red Son's arm and dragged the prince away with him through the crowd. The two little ones snuck away to the snack table. Their little hands sneaking up from below the table cloth to snatch away cupcakes and cookies. They giggled as they ate their stolen trove, their little tails unknowingly swaying together right in fully view below the table cloth.

Not all that "hidden" from the chuckling adults. Quiet giggles and little secrets were shared between the two boys. They spoke about Red Son's latest inventions and some quiet schemes.

"I bet we could steal the entire chocolate fountain." Xiaotian insisted.

"Obviously, but why?" Red Son questioned.

Xiaotian held his arms out, "To keep for ourselves, duh."

"Where would we keep it? It takes up so much unnecessary space. I could build a much more room efficient one." Red son says proudly

"And then you'd put dark chocolate in it." Xiaotian stuck his tongue out. "It's gross."

'Dark chocolate is not gross."

"Nasty." Xiaotian insisted. Munching on a cookie, his tail swished idly behind him. It felt so nice being away from the mountain. He loved his home of course, but having little adventures like this just fed his soul. He giggled, reaching into his pocket to grab Red Son's gift. "I know we said we'd open these all together later but..." he held it up. "Can I open it now? With just you?"

His friend raised his eye brow. He couldn't deny he would prefer Xiaotian opening his gift without anyone else around. With a little nod, he says, "I suppose you can. It's the superior of all the other gifts, I assure you." he says this with confidence, flicking his hair. It was only when Xiaotian began to rip through the perfectly wrapped package that he got a little nervous. Side eyeing Xiaotian cautiously.

Taking out a small box from the paper, Xiaotian tilted his head. With a little chirp he opened the box. Inside was a.. Bracelet? He took it from the package, curious of it's design. It was a simple golden band with a small black dot at it's center. Elegant in design but not too heavy. "Ooo~" Xiaotian's eyes widened, loving how it glistened. "I like shiny things." he murmured.

"I'm very aware of that." Red Son cleared his throat. Awkwardly catching Xiaotian's eye, he lifted his own wrist to show a matching pair to Xiaotian's bracelet. The boy was shocked, gawking at him.

'Matchies?!" he squealed, immediately trying to slip his on. As he fiddled with it he noticed a strange button on the side. "Wait, what is this?"

Red Son smirked, "Prepare to be amazed." he clicked the button on his own bracelet, talking into the small black dot. "Red Son to Xiaotian."

A split second later, Red son's voice spilled from Xiaotian's bracelet, mimicking him. The simian blinked a few times, startled. "Walkie talkies.... Walkie flipping talkies?!"

Red Son covered Xiaotian's mouth, silencing the boy from making it too obvious. "Yes now shh!" he scolded. "It's just between us." he had spent weeks making up the design and functionality of these two bands. Strengthening the distance they could be used to ensure even when Xiaotian returned to the mountain, there would be no issue in them communicating.

"Red." Xiaotian's grinned ear to ear, absolutely loving this gift. "And it sparkles~"

"It's got the capabilities of transmitting sound through painstakingly elaborate radio waves but yes- it sparkles." he rolled his eyes. It was cute how it was the simple things that impressed his friend the most.

Xiaotian was pumped, analyzing the bracelet in awe. Noting the little engraved initials of RS to X on the inside of the band. He brushed his finger over the engraving, his smile hurting his cheeks. "My new favorite thing." he says.

"You always have a new favorite thing." Red Son snorted.

"But this is gonna be my fav for a while." Xiaotian insisted. Crawling forward he hugged his friend, crushing the boy against his chest. "Thank you, Red Son!"

The fire demon grumbled, his voice muffled against Xiaotian. "Just don't go giving it to your tribe."

"I would never~"

Unaware, the two children continued to banter, their voices quietly heard from the six-eared-Macaque, who couldn't help but listen in. With a secret smile, happy his son was enjoying himself, he took in the sight of the party. He had kept a solemn eye out on the guests, making sure there weren't any unwelcome surprises before the doors closed. As far as he could tell, everyone was accounted for and actually invited.

He half expected someone from the Jade Emperor's emissary to make an appearance, but it seemed they were all busy tonight.

"And here I was hoping to kick out some trespassers." Iron Fan mused next to him, a glass of dark wine held between her fingers. "Would have made the night interesting."

"I believe Wukong would have ripped their head clean off their shoulders if anyone even tried." Macaque chuckled. "He's really planned this whole thing out. The cake, the gifts, the games." as he said this he watched Xiaotian dragging Red Son out from their hiding spot to run to the little party games set up around the sides of the room. The adults weren't exactly all that interested, but the children were.

He wished he could have invited more children to this party for his Son, but there weren't exactly a lot of options among their own allies and friends. He had hoped Ao Lie could have brought his granddaughter, but sometimes things didn't quite work out that way. Watching their children play together, the two old friends shared small sighs.

"They grow up far too quickly." Iron Fan mused. "Red Son has already taken an interest in his Father's works. Requesting to accompany my Love on his daily routine."

Mihou smiled, "Xiaotian doesn't really seem all that interested in what Wukong does. It's hard enough getting him interested in training." Which they had made a mandatory sort of activity, even if their boy wasn't exactly keen on it. For his own safety though it was best he learned how to defend himself.

"Soon enough, I'm sure Red Son will be taking over more responsibilities. Perhaps even reign over his own army." Iron Fan smirked at this, the idea making her excited and proud. She glanced at her friend, "We're considering sending him to Azure Lion during the summer."

"Oh?" Mihou tilted his head curiously.

"Get him out of the house, for starters. All he knows is our realm. It's left him rather ignorant to the rest of the world. Plus, some time under Azure's guidance will give him a peek into the political side of things. My Dear, love of my life, is rather... unpolitical." she trailed off. "Perhaps Xiaotian could join him...?" the question seemed casual, but was clearly holding a more serious tone to it. 

Knowing this is where she was going with this, Mihou understood more than most that they surely couldn't keep Xiaotian at the mountain forever. He too agreed their baby should see the world and it's splendor, but there was too many concerns. It was hard enough at times convincing Wukong, the more protective of the two of them, to even allow Xiaotian here in the celestial realm.

Of course Macaque wasn't that much better himself, he just remained more calm unlike his mate. Perhaps though, letting him spend the summer with Azure would be a good idea. Azure was aware of his illness, and could easily help combat it's symptoms. It was thanks to him that their child was able to do anything in the first place.

"I'll talk to Wukong about it." he stared ahead. Iron Fan's smile brightened, her eyes drawn to her approaching husband. With a deep look in his eyes, he offered his hand to his wife.

"Care for a dance?"

Macaque's eyes widened, not expected DBK of all people to be the first to approach something like dancing. Ah but, he suppose when it came to Princess Iron Fan, it wasn't actually all that shocking.

With a muse, she slipped her hand into his. "I thought you'd never ask, my love." drawn against him, the two took to the dance floor. The first of everyone that night to do so.

Macaque tilted his head to the soft tune that filled the air, the melody reminiscent of a time long ago. It filled him with nostalgia, drawing him back to when Wukong and him had first ventured into the realm of mortals. Such a new and exciting adventure, where the world was still so big and filled with such mystery.

Those nights felt longer, their energy in larger abundance.

Staring out to the dance floor, Macaque noted those who came and gone. DBK and Iron fan seemed to consume the music in their wake, striding out with such confidence and pride. For a man of DBK's size, he held his wife with care and serenity, guiding her against him.

Liu'er wondered when was the last time he had danced with Wukong? Their lives had been so hectic as of late since the birth of their son. Their relationship became less about them and more about Xiaotian.

He didn't regret it for a second, loving to give his everything to their child, but sometimes he missed those late nights. The secret talks and stolen kisses that took hold of every moment of the day. The say they would lay in bed in each other's arms from dawn until dusk. Of course they could still do that now, but it often involved the most adorable little fluff wiggling between them to loudly proclaim his schemes for the day. Or admit that the night prior he had done something to one of the Tribe monkeys- but refused to say what and to which one.

Feeling the urge, knowing now might be the only time for a while, Liu'er approached his husband. He lingered to the edge of the room, squished between the tables and the snack bar. An obvious attempt to hide away from the spotlight and avoid risking a dancing situation. Ao Lie was beside him, seemingly also hiding away from... something. Mihou wasn't exactly sure what, but that was a question for later. For now...

Liu'er slipped closer. His attempts at being sneaky were easily caught by Wukong's watchful eye, who pursed his lips to his mate when Liu'er wrapped his arms around him from behind.

"Mihou...?" he asked.

"I see you're skulking around."

Wukong gingerly sipped his drink, giving a meek shrug. "What can I say? Wouldn't wanna draw the attention away from the birthday boy."

"That birthday boy is currently stuffing his face with treats, the only thing he wants to do tonight." Macaque snickered.

Wukong chuckled, "He's gonna have such a sugar high." leaning into the comforts of his mate's hold, he nuzzled back against him. Hidden away from the crowd, it was nice to enjoy his quiet company. Of course, Mihou just had to ruin it by lifting his hand.

"Would be a waste not to dance, don't you think?" it was an obvious but enticing tease. "Sure would be nice to find myself a dance partner."

Wukong gave a quirk of his eye brow, "Oh no no, no way Mango." he jeered.

His mate gave an innocent tilt of his forehead, "I haven't said anything yet." he stepped closer, pressing into Wukong's space a bit more. "Glad to see you are on the same page though. So I take it you wanna dance?"

"I didn't say that." Wukong frowned. He looked at Ao Lie for help, but his brother stepped a few paces away, turning his head and sipping his drink. Feigning ignorance. "Traitor." he hissed.

"Peaches." Mihou smirked

Wukong shook his head, determined to keep his answer of No. He hated dancing in public spaces. It was embarrassing and everyone always looked at him. Plus he just wasn't that good of a dancer to begin with so he'd rather avoid the ridicule. Positive his answer wouldn't change, a brush of air ghost against his ear.

"Peaches... Won't you dance with me?" Liu'er whispered. His hands slithered up Wukong's arm, cupping his jaw with strong fingers. It drew an effective shiver from the Monkey King, his lower lip pursing. It was hard to say no, especially with that little fire in MIhou's eyes.

Getting a kiss to his cheek, the breaking point for the King, he sighs. "Okay. Just one."

Macaque's tail happily flicked, curling around his mate's. Guiding his husband to the dance floor, he could see Wukong's eyes shifting back and forth. Wukong was settling his hand on Liu'er's shoulder, clasping their other hands together.

"Wukong." Liu'er caught his attention. "Look at me."

"I am." he grumbled

"Just me." Liu'er settled his hand on Wukong's waist, offering a smile. With a small tug they were chest to chest. Wukong's eyes flickered downward for a moment then back up, his lips a thin line.

"I can do that." he murmured quietly. He smiles following his mate when he stepped back. He wasn't much of a dancer, only knowing what Mihou had taught him. He'd never dance with anyone otherwise.

The tempo was fast paced, enticing quick steps and swinging tails. Macaque stepped to the side, his arm slipping around Wukong to turn his mate back against him. The King's breath was sharp, the heat of Mihou's hands like molten lava. A nervous chuckle came from his chest, spun around to face his Mango nose to nose.

"Why Wukong, don't tell me your nervous?" Mihou teased, box stepping them to the center square of the room.

"Me? No!" his voice got smaller, "No." glancing at his feet he murmured, "It's just been some time since we last danced." When Mihou gave him that same smirk of disbelief, Wukong tugged himself below Mihou's arm, nearly bumping his forehead against Mihou's in a challenging manner.

The darker fur monkey gave a startled smile, his tail coiling. "And here I thought you'd be rusty.' Mihou teased, grasping Wukong's hips and stepping forward. The mighty King tilted back, a brilliant shade of red coloring his cheeks when Mihou dipped him.

"Me?" his voice was weak. "Never." The King says, not expecting to have been swept off his feet tonight. His heart was thumping unbearably in his chest. Perhaps it was just because they were parents now, but Wukong had forgotten how charmingly alluring Mihou was. He forgot how easily he could sway his own heart and make him mind fall to pieces. "How could I when it was you who taught me to dance in the first place?"

Liu'er lifted his arm, allowing Wukong to duck under it and spin. His golden hair tossed in his face looking marvelously handsome. There was a twinkle in his eyes, his gaze unable to look away from Mihou for even a moment. His heart felt like and his feet felt tingly- eager to step back into his Mate's embrace.

Liu'er hands were gentle, quietly instructing where Wukong went. Guiding the curve of his back and the sway of his hips. His King seemed to lost track of the crowd, his eyes a brilliant sheen of amber that hooded so slightly.

As the tempo slowed, changing to something more intimate, the two pressed closer. There was something in the way Wukong looked at Mihou. The kind of look one could be envious of- pure and loving. It was how everyone wished to be looked at one day.

Settling his head against the dark monkey's neck, Wukong closed his eyes. In that instant, nothing else mattered. Not the song, or the place, or the others that faded away around them. The King was giving himself over to the feel of his body pressed against his mate's. They swayed in small circles, lost in a world that felt like their one.

"I've missed this. Missed you..." Mihou pressed a kiss to Wukong's temple, a secret whisper shared into the King's ear. Sweet nothings reserved just for his lovely Sun. Wukong's grin was evident, even if he tried to hide it in Macaque's fur.

"Me too." he says in a soft whisper. "It feels like all we've been focused on is the celestial realm and Xiaotian." his voice got heavy. "Hard to believe he's so big already."

"Indeed. If I'm honest... Xiaotian turning 10 really puts into perspective how fast time has gone by. The baby years really are fleeting." Mihou mused. His fingers danced through Wukong's fur. Catching a dazzling expression from his mate he says, "Makes me want more."

Wukong's voice sounded foreign to him. "More?"

Mihou gave a tilt of his head, his smirk enticing. He dipped Wukong for a second time that night,  "More."

Wukong's tail poofed, his expression wide. "U-Um..." his mind had stopped working. It's like you could hear the steam coming from his ears. Officially loss for words, he pressed against his mate. Mihou was snickering, not expecting his words to draw such an affect.

He liked making Wukong speechless. It was funny that the sun kissed monkey never seemed to even consider the idea of more children, but now that he had, it had taken up his entire thought process. His arms tightened around Mihou, burying his face into his shoulder again. "U...Uh... um..."

"I seem to have loss you a little." Mihou cupped the back of Wukong's neck, swaying them. "Xiaotina sure would be a good big brother." he felt Wukong shudder, his hands digging into his back.

His fur puffed- he loved that idea.

"Stop." Wukong shakes his head, knowing if they talked about this anymore he would pick Mihou up and promptly leave to accomplish the idea in question. "You did that on purpose." he grumbled, accusing his alluring mate and his splendor.  How long have you been thinking of this??" he hissed, face still hidden in Mihou's shoulder.

Mihou shrugged, "Dunno. The more we visit Iron Fan I guess. She's like a sister to me, just like the brotherhood are like brothers." he nuzzled against Wukong. "Siblings are nice to have. It would be nice if Xiaotian also could have some."

Wukong couldn't agree more. "You are the worse." he ended up grumbling. "Now I can't stop thinking about it."

"Maybe I wanted you to think about it." Mihou whistled.

He got a firm hit on the shoulder, chuckling when Wukong whined. "I want dozensssss."

" Cheaper by the dozen ," Mihou and Wukong stated automatically, reminded of that old movie they watched with Xiaotian not long ago. The two instantly burst into a fit of giggles, spinning around the other. A conversation to have later for sure.

"The chocolate fountain was one thing- this is another." Red Son stressed.

"I want it." Xiaotian says, his voice weirdly deep.

After some time they snuck out from their hiding spot to take to the stairs. It was easy to slip pass the notice of their parents who were absorbed in their conversations. Officially on the second floor they could overlook the entire party.

Xiaotian's goal was to get a closer look at the chandelier... perhaps even take it for a joy ride if time permitted. "Look at how it shines." he cooed, eyes sparkling at the glistening of gold and jewels. It would be so perfect for his collection.

"I got a better one at home." Red Son says bluntly. Xiaotian nudged him.

"Yeah but I can't take that one."

"And you wanna take this one??" Red Son balked. He got his response in the form of Xiaotian's nodding head. "How would you even take it home?"

"That is what I'm trying to device." the monkey prince admits, hunched over and rubbing his chin. "We could get your Dad's car and just tie it down to the back...?"

"You would need his keys." Red Son shakes his head, indulging in the thought and immediately regretting it.

"....." Xiaotian slowly lifts the keys from his pocket, giving them a twirl. Red Son snatched them away, squeaking.

"Don't steal those!"

Xiaotian snickered impishly. "He should keep better track of them then." Swaying back and forth cutely, he got a heated huff from his friend.

"One day you are gonna get in serious trouble for stealing."

"Only if I get caught." Xiaotina glanced to the side, knowing he had stole far more that night then even Red Son was aware of. All which he plopped into the safety of his shadow to hoard over.

Of course, he would need to find some safe place for his secret stolen goods before the end of the evening. His Baba, aware of his tendencies, always would come before Xiaotian at the end of the day. His arms crossed and look stern. " Show me what you stole."

And would rather force Xiaotian to completely dump out his shadow clean and force him to return all his trove. He wished his Baba was more like his unaware Daddy.

Leaning against the railing, idly wondering if he could get something as large as the chandelier into his shadow, he glanced down to the ongoing party. It was fun of course, and he couldn't wait for the cake later, but it wasn't quite what he was hoping for in the party.

The adults would much rather talk then play the games and dance. Except for their parents.

As the song slowed down, the lights dimmed ever so slightly. This drew Xiaotian's attention to the dance floor. Hidden away on the floor above, the two children eyed the sight of their dancing parents with quiet wonder. Adults and love felt so far away from them at this age. They could imagine it, but no thought seems to satisfy their curiosity for the future.

Pressing his little face against the rails, Xiaotian stared at his parents. They were entangled in the other, smiling and laughing in a beautiful sort of way. He titled his head with a small chirp.

A thought of, That's love.

He smiles secretly to himself, hoping one day he would find something like that too when he grew up. He'd find someone amazing like his Daddy and Baba to dance through the night with. Embarrassed to say this though, he cleared his throat. "Ugh, dancing." he rolled his eyes. "Am I right?"

"I mean it's... just dancing?" Red Son shrugged. "My parents do it all the time." he says, recalling the many nights he could peer into the living room as see his mother and father slow dancing to a quiet melody. Eyes distant at the thought, he glanced at Xiaotian. "Do you know how to dance?"

His friend shrugged, "Yeah, of course I do. It's easy." He stood, stepping away from the railing. "I dance with my Baba." he pretended to hold a partner in his arms. Of course, in his experience, since his father was so much taller then him, he was used to holding his arms up higher.

So imagine his surprise when Red Son stepped between his arms for the next song. "Um..." Xiaotian blinked, his arm settling on the bull Prince's shoulders. They stepped to the right, falling right into place with the beat.

Red Son was watching closely, a small tint of red to his cheeks, "So you do know how to dance."

Xiaotian snorted, "Did you think I lied?"

"You always lie."

"Nu-uhhhh. I only lie about dumb things." Xiaotian corrected, making sure he didn't step on Red Son's toes. It was easier to dance with Red Son since he was only a little taller than him, so the reach wasn't that grand.

"Was that statement just now also a lie?" Red Son snickered.

"No, cause it wasn't dumb. A dumb lie would be more fun. Like telling Unkey Yellow that his pants had ripped." especially since Yellow Tusk couldn't exactly turn around and look for himself to prove whether Xiaotina was lying or not. And even if he claimed he didn't believe him, he knew the thought of "he might be telling the truth" would plague Yellow Tusk's mind enough it would force the elephant to eventually track down a mirror.

"Of course." Red Son grumbled. He gripped Xiaotian's hand, spinning the other boy. Xiaotian stumbled, turning back and accidentally headbutting Red Son. The two children whined, grumpy. "You said you know how to dance!"

"I do! You were the one who suddenly did that- Owww." Xiaotian held his nose, which ached. The two grumpily swayed back and forth, trying to spin and trip their dance partner. Angrily tugging the other back and forth. Eventually the argument fizzled out and the two returned to begrudging sways, arms extended far apart and barely holding the other's shoulders.

Their matching bracelet bands glistening in the light.

Eventually Red Son spoke, calming down enough to ask, "Are you having a good birthday party?"

"Of course." Xiaotian nodded. What was there not to like? It was a lot of fun!

Xiaotian glanced to the side, his eyes drawn to the moving forms below. He may be young, but he knew what happiness was. This was it's purest definition to him; Peace, joy- and the people you loved. All together in one space and spinning to heart pounding music. As he nudged Red Son, he understood that he should be feeling incredibly happy right now.

And he was! But...

He felt hallow.

"You're doing it again." Red Son speaks, drawing his eyes.

The Monkey Prince exhaled, confusion in his large amber eyes. "Doing what?"

"Looking somewhere else." Red Son says. He wasn't sure how to explain it himself, but he had noticed it a lot lately. Or perhaps Xiaotian had always done it and he hadn't noticed until recently. "Looking for someone who isn't here."

Xiaotian's eyes widen. He had never really had a definition for why he always felt this way, but what Red Son just said felt incredibly correct. "Looking for someone...?"

Who exactly...?

Red Son nodded. The 12 year old stepped away from their dancing to hold Xiaotian's hand instead, "You daze out sometimes, looking around like you are searching for someone." the bull prince frowned, "But everyone you know and love is here so- Who are you looking for?" the question had always bothered him. Mostly because, the perfect moments that Xiaotian should be enjoying, he wasn't able to. It upset him that his friend was always drawn to some distant force. Some person that Red Son could never seem to compare to in the boy's heart.

Startled, Xiaotian stepped back. Held firm by Red Son, he found he couldn't find the words. Who was he looking for? That was definitely the question he asked himself. It was hard to explain. In all accounts it didn't make any sense either.

Something, somewhere, held a piece of him. He could never fathom exactly how this was possible. "I dunno." he admits. His eyes trail to the windows, like they had a million times tonight. On his birthday especially he felt this strange little tug. This longing for the unknown.

He did his best to smile, but it was all a facade to cover up the pain that tore his chest apart. He missed someone, and didn't even know who that was.

"I truly don't know." he whispered. He looked at his friend, squeezing Red Son's hand. "I try not to, but it always comes back." his voice was small, "Maybe I'm just weird..."

"XiaoXiao..." Red son says.

Xiaotian touched his chest with his free hand. His hallow heart felt heavy. He loved, and laughed, and cried- so clearly there was something in there. He couldn't be empty but he wasn't full either. "It bothers me... I hate it." Xiaotian frowned. "And the more I think about it the worse I feel. It hurts sometimes."

Red Son's eyes widen, concerned. "It does?" he extended his hand out to touch Xiaotian's shoulder. Was his friend in pain even now? Has he ever told the grownups about this? How often did Xiaotian keep this dark little thought to himself? "You aren't weird..." he shakes his head. Certainly it wasn't normal but he couldn't stand the thought of Xiaotian's own thoughts considering himself otherwise. "You're..." Before he can speak another word, he cuts off. A strange feeling overwhelmed him and his body hunches forward. "Gh...!" sharp chills run down his back- a bone chilling pain in his body. It was cold...

The one thing that seemed to make his body unbearably stiff and sometimes even painful was the cold.

"Red...?" Xiaotian exhaled, his eyes drawn to his own breath... which he could see? Little amber eyes widen, feeling goosebumps on his arm at the drop of temperature. Red Son, easily susceptible to intense cold, felt the rush of cold in his body rather immediately.

"Who in the blazes is turning down the temperature?" he barked, scanning the area for the perpetrator. He got his answer no less than a moment later when the windows shattered.

"!!"

The glass erupted like sparkling jewels, covering the dance floor in shining fragments. Many ducked out of the way, pressing backwards.

All at once Peng was sliding infront of Azure, drawing his golden wings in defense of his emperor. Before him, dark figures emerged from the destruction of the glass, landing before the party-goers.

The ringing of drawing swords followed, the figures standing in a rather odd way. Normally a person's actions were smooth, but they moved in jagged actions. Their clothes were torn and shredded, hanging loosely.

As they lifted their heads, boney faces were all they could see. Hallowed dark eyes and noseless expressions. They were bones. Walking bones.

These men- these things, were walking dead, brandishing lost and forget weapons of old. They looked ready to fall to dust with the slightest flick, twitching and swaying in a grueling manner.

Xiaotina felt his heart stop at the sight of them. They were like a haunting nightmare breathing into reality. "Oh hate hate- hate that- No. No thank you." he shook his head, stepping behind Red Son at the sight. He hated scary things like this!

From the windows, much to Xiaotian's discomfort, more seemed to be spilling inward, tumbling over each other mindlessly. They fell over the side, hitting the ground with heavy thumps and then collecting themselves. Even when losing pieces of themselves from the impact, they simply picked up the lost articles of limbs and reattached them. It was every little boy's living horror.

Xiaotian was shaking his head, hating every aspect of this. He loathed scary things like zombies or ghosts. Hated hated hated them. He had only ever seen them before in this comic he read this one time, since he parents didn't let him watch scary movies, but that was enough to instill the fear! "No no no." he whispers, wanting to turn and run right back home this instant. Of course he couldn't exactly do that with these things in the way.

Below, Azure's voice was like a thunderclap, "State your purpose, foul creatures."

They didn't respond. Or perhaps they couldn't. There was nothing within to give sign to sentience. These things lacked the very thing that should allow them to move; a soul.

They only stepped closer, slowly inching into the room. From the windows you could truly see their numbers.

It wasn't just a small group or a handful of foot soldiers.

It was similar in size to an army. Their lack of soul making it easy for them to enter the area undetected.

The soldiers twisted and turned, the bones that barely held together crackling with every movement. Within their empty eyes sockets, was the smallest blue glow. Macaque stepped back, startled at the sight of their strange aura. Sickeningly cold and blue. He knew this power...

The Lady Bone Demon.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

146K 5.2K 50
The reader is MK's non-identical twin sister. When Pigsy both sent the two out for noodle deliveries, MK went to deliver his stack of noodles, while...
8.4K 144 8
⚠️Discontinued⚠️ Ya'll, i've seen Wukong and Macaque being biological parents to Mk in au books, and there were some where Wukong was pregnant, but t...
67.5K 2.9K 23
Sun Wukong & Macaque x Nezuko Reader _______________________________ ❝Mmm hmm!!❞ π˜Ώπ™€π™ˆπ™Šπ™‰π™„π˜Ύ π™‡π™Šπ™π™π™Ž| Everyone thought that the flesh-eating d...
19.6K 571 15
Mk Meets A demon, That was different from the rest, they weren't violent, or wanted Mk's staff or power, they just wanted a friend? so Why Does Sun W...