Samurai ↔ Nishimura Riki

By lavendyl

In ancient supernatural Japan, women are expected to take care of the house, be beautiful, marry, and obey th... More

intro
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
halloween special
twenty four
twenty five
twenty six
twenty seven
twenty eight
twenty nine
thirty
thirty one
thirty two
thirty three
thirty four

twenty

338 24 37
By lavendyl

"I can't believe it. Those bastards finally declared war on us."

Minister Oh slammed his fists against the mahogany desk, creating a loud thud.

"Why would they declare war on us only now? They had so many chances to earlier on. Why now?" another minister asked, puzzled.

"Don't forget, they also killed Envoy Shin," Envoy Yang chimed in, "They forgoed peace. We can no longer hold back, we must protect our people."

"Poor Shin's daughter, she must be so distraught over her father's death," one of the court members sympathized, "Losing her mother and now her father. What bad luck."

Murmurs of agreement rose from the audience.

Meanwhile, the emperor looked sharply at Hyewon. "Tell us again how you found Envoy Shin's body in the woods, Warrior Cho?"

Gulping, she exchanged looks with Riki, who stood a few meters away from her. While returning back to the palace, they had both agreed that the body would be too big of a secret to keep and to report it, but a few details were altered to make it seem that Hyewon was the one to stumble across the body. They also decided to leave out the part where they had met Ryuto to avoid suspicion. Hopefully, the story they weaved would be believable enough.

"An hour ago," she began, "I was unable to sleep, so I went to the woods because..." Her voice faltered when she saw everyone's eyes on her. She rushed, "I was bored, so I decided to scout the area since I wanted to do something productive.

"You ventured into the woods because you were bored," Emperor Hankyu repeated skeptically. He lifted an eyebrow. "Continue. Was anyone with you?"

"No, I went alone," Hyewon lied, bowing her head low. Please believe me, please believe me. "I ended up in a clearing and then I found Envoy Shin's body covered in blood. And in his pocket was a note that declared war on us."

Gasps were heard echoing through the room. The emperor stroked his chin. "What a shame, we'll have to investigate this matter. Shin was a good man. Did you see anyone suspicious that could've been the perpetrator?"

"No, sir. No one was there when I reached his body-"

"So there is no one who can testify to your statement?" A tall, prim man with small, beady eyes asked, rising from his chair. Minister Yoon. Lia's father. He studied his fingernails as if the case were not even worth a crumb of his time. "Obviously, we cannot deny that the war has begun. The note itself has been brought up to court and thoroughly examined, so at least part of your story must be right. But, how can we trust that there was truly no one there? Perhaps you saw the culprits. Or," he paused dramatically. "What if you were there the whole time helping your friends from the West in killing Envoy Shin? Or maybe you killed him yourself and saw him die a slow and painful death."

Hyewon stood paralyzed as his words sunk in. Was he saying that she had betrayed the whole kingdom? Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed Riki opening his mouth to retort, about to blow off their cover. She shook her head and mouthed, Stop. Confessing that he had been there as well wouldn't have done anything but place more distrust on her.

She composed herself. Getting defensive wasn't going to get anywhere. "Are you implying that I'm a traitor? To my own homeland?" she asks calmly.

Minister Yoon spread his arms wide. "Now, I am not trying to say that you are one," His tone suggested the opposite, "I am merely presenting the possibilities. But we cannot deny that someone had helped those rascals from the West into royal grounds. How else would they have gotten this close to the palace without it being noticed? And that someone just seems to pinpoint to you, Warrior Cho. You could be bringing forth this report to deceive us, to throw us off the track. Don't you find this odd, my friends?" he addresses, facing the crowd.

Silence.

An all too familiar man to Hyewon broke the quiet. He stood up. "I'm afraid that is not possible, Jaeho. As a Chiye, she has been taught to place loyalty above things. Are you perhaps shaming the Chiye Clan?" he asks dangerously without looking at her.

Surprise. Hyewon didn't expect him to interfere. She felt her blood boil. She. He didn't even dare to say her name. Not even acknowledge her presence.

"Then should I praise her for it and condemn you for your lack of it?" Lia's father sneered. "Don't put up an act, Kangseok. We all know you're defending your bastard daughter to protect your reputation. Or did you already forget your little scandal with her pitiful mother? At least, I'm loyal to my wife-"

Kangseok's jaw tightened. "What happened years ago is not of your concern, Yoon Jaeho," he replies quietly. And for a brief moment, his eyes swept towards hers, but they quickly averted eyesight. "Leave the past in the past. I do not interfere for her sake. I'm pointing out the truth."

Leave the past in the past? Ha! She wanted to run up to where he was and shake him by the collar. I don't need you to defend me, you petty excuse of a father, she wanted to scream. She had done fine without him all these years and she didn't need him. Don't defend me as if you care!

Because he didn't. No matter what her mother said, he'd always be the absent, selfish bastard who left her life.

"Advisor Lee is correct, Minister Yoon. We have more pending things to discuss." Emperor Hankyu cut in. "General Kang, prepare our soldiers for battle. I have a feeling the West won't hold back this time. Tighten the security. There must be a spy here, whether or not it is Warrior Cho. Make sure that no one leaves without my consent."

The general bows. "Of course. I'll inform our lieutenants and colonels, Your Majesty." He leaves the court without another word.

"And, son," the emperor's sharp gaze lands on Riki. "No more dilly-dallying. You are prohibited from leaving palace grounds from now on without my permission. If you do leave, there will be severe consequences, Riki. I mean it." he warns sternly. "Don't think that I wasn't aware of your leave earlier."

The prince tips his head. "I understand, Father."

"Good." He gestures at him. "You and Warrior Cho may be dismissed. I need to have a private conversation with my council."

-

"I can't believe that Minister Yoon thinks you killed Envoy Shin." Was the first thing that came out of his mouth as she stepped out of the room.

"Well," Hyewon raised an eyebrow, "Didn't you think I was a spy in the beginning as well?" she points out. "You were quite determined to prove it, too."

He blushes. "That was a long time ago."

She merely hums. "Yeah, yeah. Let's go. I don't want to be here any longer than I need to."

Without a set destination, Hyewon just trailed after him mindlessly, unaware of where they were heading until they stopped right in front of his door, only a few meters away from her own. The prince flung the door carelessly, smacking Hyewon in the face, before flopping into bed like a dead fish.

"Seriously?" she kicked his foot. "You made me come all the way for you to just sleep?"

"Y'know, no one asked you to follow me. Ugh," he groaned before sitting properly on the bed. "If you want to start the conversation, go ahead cause my brain's empty."

"You're just lazy."

"I know." He didn't say anything else, probably stewing over his thoughts. "So..." he began, albeit nervously. "The person who stood up for you there... that was your father, wasn't it?" Riki asked quietly. "I never knew he was my father's advisor."

Great. She should've known he was going to bring it up.

Perhaps noticing the face she made, he backtracked quickly. "I-I mean, not to pry of course. Only if you're comfortable about it. I never knew that he was your father. You don't seem anything alike."

Hyewon laughed without humor. "That's funny. Almost everyone knows how my father left for a 'proper' woman while still married to my mother. Even though I was born during their marriage, I'm still considered a bastard child. A mistake." This time, she angrily kicked the bedpost. "He already has a family of his own. One that doesn't involve my mother or I." she said bitterly.

"Well, that's something new. So you are of noble blood." he pointed out. "I thought both of your parents were commoners."

She snorted at that. "I wish that was the case. My mother was a commoner, a daughter of a merchant. My father," she spat on the word, " married her without parental consent. My grandparents didn't agree on their marriage, but they let it be... for a while."

"Oh." With nothing else to say, the prince rolled on his bed, head face planting the comfy blankets. "I hate it here," he mumbled with a muffled voice. "It's so boring here. The palace is filled with old and stuffy people. And I can't go anywhere either. The Mid-Autumn Festival is going to be canceled too."

She shrugs, sitting down on the bed beside him. "With the war and everything, most likely."

"I hate that my father is so controlling of my life."

"Well, at least he cares. My father never did." Hyewon poked him. "A father that cares is better than a father who doesn't. He just wants to protect you."

"Not really."

"Hey, at least we can have dad problems together," she says jokingly. She prodded him again. "Stop being so lazy."

"It's past midnight, I think I have the right to be lazy," he argues, wrapping the blankets around him, rubbing his eyes. "I don't think I can sleep though. It's been a long day, but I can't get the sight of Envoy Shin's body out of my mind..." he trails off.

"Right." With her father involved earlier, she had almost forgotten about that. "Are you going to stay awake then?"

"Probably. Are you?"

"Nah. I don't need nightmares to cloud my dreams after today." But she still yawned. "I should go to my room. Maybe write some letters to Heeseung. He's going to whine for attention now that we've visited." She begins to rise from the bed.

"... Can you stay?"

If Hyewon had been tired, this would have jolted her awake. Caught off guard by the sudden request, she blinks her eyes. "Why?"

"Please?" he mumbled. "I want some company. I can't fall asleep."

He's cute when he mumbles.

'Uh... okay." she relented, resettling back onto the mattress. "Erm. Then do you want me to sing for you?"

He sat up straight. "You? Sing?"

"Hey," she felt defensive, "I specialize in multiple talents. Just because I'm violent doesn't mean I can't sing."

"Ironic."

"Shut up and let me sing okay?"

"Notice that I never agreed."

"Notice that you never not agreed."

Why did she offer to sing to him again? She clears her throat and begins to sing.

"舞い落ちる花びらには

誰も手を伸ばさない

悲しみが混ざったような

冷たい笑顔のまま

ゆらり舞い

風のままに

ゆらり舞い

落ちた心のたどり着く先は

今よりはまだ暖かいかな

夏にも耐えて小雨に濡れて

誰かのために散りたいなんて

刹那に生きてたけど君と会い

そう全てには意味があることを知ったんだ

君へと舞い落ちてくよ今すぐ会いたい

いつかきっと君が僕の心に

"私は花 私は花"

綺麗な花を咲かせる

と信じているから"

(yes, this is me promoting seventeen's fallin' flower cus IT IS THE BEST JAPANESE KPOP SONG IVE HEARD (sorry enha blossom, stEp outta the way) mv is above, joshua is aesthetic✨✨)

It started off a bit shaky, but its melody was distinguishable. And sure, she had a few voice cracks here and there, but she didn't care much. She just kept going.

"Fallin' Fallin' Fallin' Fallin'

Fallin' Fallin', Yeah

君に今 Fallin' Fallin' Fallin' Fallin'

Fallin' fallin', yeah

"私は花 私は花"

君に今 Fallin' Fallin' Fallin' Fallin'

Fallin' Fallin', yeah~".

And when she paused to catch her breath, Hyewon noticed that Riki was already slumbering away, curled up into a ball. She allowed herself to smile, just the teeniest bit since he wasn't watching, and adjusted his blankets, careful to not disturb his sleep.

Then, she sat there, admiring his visuals, until the next thing she knew, she was out cold on the bed beside him.

A/N: Select the choice that you think best answers the question.

Question: What is the main factor of vivi's bad day?

a) school, the universal hell

b) caught a cold from her own sister (yes throwin shade here)

c) trying to stop her friends from performing some exorcism ritual on her and ended up breaking her portable charger

d) friend drama

e) homework

not me posting before my bed time :))) yall are my motivation to publish and it makes me sadge to see wattpad so unactive 🥺

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

36K 2K 38
sunghoon is in love with sunoo. the only problem? they're best friends. another problem: he's obsessed, protective, and would do anything to protect...
341K 19.5K 67
She thought going to college that she'll finally escape the nightmare of highschool. But it's proven wrong as her long time bully was there too, a bu...
47.2K 2.4K 38
"I will stay with you forever." A girl, blinded at a young age, meets a boy that will love and care for her for the rest of her life without knowing...
218K 7.6K 42
"My soulmate is Jungwon? The Enhypen member?!" Rina, A 16-year-old girl who was never really a romantic type of person. Until she meets her only exce...