Slow and Speedy Win the Fight

By JJJ000YYY

Haresa Saenin is no stranger to villain antics. They've been doing hero work since the age of five after all... More

Foreword
1. The Starting Line
2. Slow Beginnings
3. The Last Encounter
4. The Last Straw
5. Class Time
6. Home Time
7. Shoutout
8. Shouting
9. The Spotlight
10. The Searchlight
11. Twenty Minutes
12. Twenty People
13. An Attack
14. A Defense
15. Investigation
16. Instigation
17. Question
18. Answer
19. Get Together
20. Leave Separated
21. Cold
22. Hot
23. Power Centre
24. Food Centre
25. Meeting
26. Visit
27. Racket
28. Ball
29. Assignment
30. Asinine
31. Bubble Tea
32. In a Bubble
33. Old Flame
34. Old News
35. Messages
36. Letters
37. Shoe Store
38. Xu's Store
39. Store Visit
40. Home Visit
41. Hide
42. Seek
43. Present
44. Not So Present
45. Debut
46. Perform
47. Launch
48. Land
49. Run Away
50. Run Ahead
51. Owe
52. Settle
53. Limo
54. Limbo
55. Offer
56. Reject
57. Break In
58. Break Out
59. Morning
60. Evening
61. Perform
62. Act
63. Ignite
64. Extinguish
65. Responsible
66. Irresponsible
67. Different
68. Same
69. Chaperone
70. Independent
71. Teamwork
72. Revelations
73. Genesis
74. Escape
75. Forms
76. President
77. Papers
78. Homeschooled
80. Creation
81. Pronouns
82. No Nouns
83. Costume
84. Mask
85. Passage
86. Blockade
87. Water
88. Fire
89. Origins
90. Throwback
91. Ballgame
92. Homerun
93. Silence
94. Loud
95. Dance On
96. Dance Off
97. Are You Feeling Better?
98. What's Okay?

79. Self-Taught

8 0 0
By JJJ000YYY

Haresa

"Why is it so damn white in here?" Sheldon squinted at the Power Centre's interior design.

He took a while to change into the green and black t-shirt and shorts set that my dad had made. He tugged at the material and he was obviously displeased with what he was wearing.

"Why does this material make me want to rip my skin off?" He asked.

"I also brought normal sweats. Do you want to change into those instead?" I offered meekly. "I was anticipating that my dad would make some comfier clothes for my on-the-field outfit."

I tugged at the collar of my own yellow and black shirt before clearing my throat.

Sheldon shook his head. "It's bad but not as bad as other textures."

I wrung my hands and pointed at a room with my head. "Ready to get started then?"

"I suppose."

"I was not ready for that!" Sheldon yelled.

"What happened to beating me with your wit?" I shouted back.

My leg twitched from the aftermath of using my powers and I could only sigh again. "Sheldon, you're good at using your forcefield."

"Shield."

"But, we're here to work on your strength. You were struggling at the show off. Actually, I'm very sure I watched you struggle for a long time at the helicopter rental place."

He was encased in his translucent green forcefield and every time I attempted to practice any sort of fighting technique, he would throw up his shield and wait until I called a time-out.

He pointed an accusatory finger at me. "I performed the best acrobatics of my life and you only witnessed me after I did everything. Not the act itself."

"Sure, the walk home wasn't you asking me to slow down fifty times in a row."

"You have super speed!"

"And I wasn't using it!"

We were bickering like children again. I had thought I had outgrown these traits but Sheldon just kept making things more difficult than they should be.

"If you can use your powers then I can use mine!" He waved his arms wildly to gesture to his forcefield.

"You still know your fighting techniques, right? That crazy move that you pulled on that camera guy. Can you do more moves like that still?"

"I don't know, when are you going to stop coming at me with super speed? You can run onto the goddamn ceiling now!"

I paused before taking in his stance. His shoulders were hunched over, sweat was dripping down his face and I could even see his forcefield begin to flicker a bit. Was this his seventh forcefield? No, he did it a lot more times. His power endurance must've gone up with age.

"Okay, okay, we're training without any powers." My twitching leg slowed down until my foot laid flat on the ground.

Sheldon took a deep breath and his forcefield slowly disappeared.

"You can teach me how to do your martial arts," I said.

"I thought you were training me."

"I'm trying to get you to build up some strength. If you only know a specific kind of martial art and it gets you to move, then you can teach me how to do it."

"I'm not in a position to teach you it."

"Sheldon come on—"

"I'm a blue belt, not yellow. I can't instruct you because I'm not qualified to."

My fingers twisted the ends of my hair strands and I fought the urge to tug on them. "Then teach me how to be a practice dummy then for your... What is it called?"

"Vovinam."

"Yeah, then teach me how to be a practice dummy. That's not me learning anything, that's just me helping you practice."

Sheldon hesitated. He gave me a once over and his hands balled up into fists.

"Okay, I just," he blinked. "I need a moment to remember all the stances."

"We've been going at it for a while, we can take a ten." I walked to the wall where my bag laid and took out my water bottle. "Did you need time alone?"

When I turned my head back to look at him, he was already gone.

"I guess that's a yes."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.5K 443 11
If you read and loved my previous book My stupid heart (a geminifourth au) you will love this one. Can a person go from friends to lovers to being f...
94.5K 5.5K 24
Forth Jaturapom has had enough. He's lost countless relationships because he can't seem to take that last step into intimacy. Never again. He's going...
39.7K 2.3K 38
Study in New Zealand for one year. A program designed to bring together different cultures around the world. In the farthest place on earth, student...
39.2K 955 12
What happens when ( A wild ,tough guy who got expelled from his previous school ) got a chance in the new school. Lisa ( a total opposite of The ne...