The Black Death

Bởi dragontheofhouse

"You look just like your mother." "I guess I do carry her tenderness well." "You both have the same eyes." "W... Xem Thêm

Introduction: The Black Death
I: The Dragon Leaves The Nest
II: Right where I'm supposed to be
III: That's what family is for
IV: Old wives' tales
V: Unfinished business
VI: Name days and mothers
VII: Letters and fathers
VIII: Ghosts
Interlude: Princess Visenya in the eyes of the Maesters
X: Going back
XI: Tiny wars
XII: Planting seeds
XIII: The witch, the dreamer and the king.
XIV: The play begins
XV: Motivations
XVI: According to plan
XVII: Family affairs
XVIII: First touch
XIX: Wine
XX: Hungover

IX: Mirrors and hair

2.1K 78 8
Bởi dragontheofhouse

Four dragons landed on Dragonstone. Rhaenyra, Daemon, Jacearys, and Baela rode on dragonback, while Rhaena, Lucearys, and Joffrey arrived by ship.

Daemon rushed to help Rhaenyra dismount. It had only been eight months since she gave birth to Joff, and this was her first time riding Syrax in more than a year.

Following suit, Jacearys hurried to assist Baela as she descended from Moondancer. Baela scoffed and playfully jumped into Jacearys's arms, as if trying to make him stumble. He caught her, and the two shared a laugh as they approached their parents on their way to the castle. This was the first time Jacearys had laughed since Laenor's death, and he cherished the prospect of spending more time with Baela.

Rhaenyra's heart raced; it had been seven months since she had seen her daughter. Every night since Visenya's departure, Rhaenyra had dreamed of the day when she could hug and kiss her daughter again.

As the gates of Dragonstone opened, Ser Robert greeted the royal family. "Your Highnesses, it is an honor to welcome you back to Dragonstone. The ships have not yet arrived, and Princess Visenya is on her way to greet you."

"Thank you, Ser Robert," Daemon said, tapping the old knight on the shoulder before turning to Rhaenyra. "He's taken good care of Visenya."

Rhaenyra smiled and conveyed her appreciation to Robert. "I'm well aware. Visenya wrote many kind words about you and your daughter, Ser."

Ser Robert stood proudly as he led the four royals into the castle. "I am forever thankful. The princess has been nothing but a delight in the castle."

The sound of hurried footsteps drew closer. Before anyone could react, Visenya launched herself into her mother's arms. To the realm, she might be the future queen, a Targaryen princess. But to Visenya, she was simply "Mommy."

"Mommy!" Visenya shouted in excitement as she hugged her mother tightly. Although she was growing into a woman and insisted on her independence, no child can hide the love they have for their mother.

Rhaenyra's eyes swelled up with tears as she brushed Visenya's hair with her fingers. Her...Hair. Was short. So short. A slight tick went off in her heart. She loved to braid and brush through Visenya's hair so much. She dreamed of the moment she could do it again once they reunited.

"My dearest, your hair..." Rhaenyra said, taking a step back to get a better look at her daughter.

Visenya smiled and shrugged. "I felt like a change."

"I see," Rhaenyra replied, her heart calming somewhat, though a lingering feeling told her that Visenya wasn't revealing the full truth. "It suits you." She caressed Visenya's cheek.

Visenya turned to her brother and hugged him just as tightly. "How are you?" she whispered in his ear, aware that asking loudly might embarrass him. His response was to bury his head in her hair and hold her tighter than he ever had before.

As they pulled away, Visenya finally noticed Daemon and Baela among the arrivals.

"Uncle Daemon, I thought you'd gone back to Pentos. Are you here to accompany us to the funeral?" Visenya asked, almost nonchalantly.

Both Jacearys and Rhaenyra found Visenya's calm discussion of Laenor's funeral somewhat odd. It almost seemed heartless.

Daemon glanced at Rhaenyra and swallowed before speaking. "I think it's best if Baela and Jacearys settle in while we have a talk with you."

As Baela and Jacearys made their way toward the chambers, Baela squeezed Visenya's hand, and Jacearys tapped her shoulder.

Visenya's euphoria at her family's return quickly turned to confusion. She followed Rhaenyra and Daemon to the dining hall, where they signaled for her to sit down.

"Your mother and I have something we wish to discuss with you before the funeral," Daemon began, while Rhaenyra nervously fidgeted with the rings on her fingers.

"Your father was a good man, a valiant warrior, and a loving father," Daemon continued. "But now that he's gone, your mother can't face the challenges alone."

As Daemon spoke, Laenor's voice echoed in Visenya's mind: "Your mother needs someone strong to stand beside her. Someone who will protect her, you, and the boys. She needs a husband who can love..."

"You're the husband?" Visenya interrupted, her eyes fixed on the floor, trying to make sense of it all.

In a rare moment, Daemon struggled for words. "Yes, I am."

Rhaenyra approached Visenya, taking her hands in her own. "I know this is hard to understand, but your father and I... We always had different hearts. I loved him, but not in the way one loves a husband, rather in a way you love your brothers. The truth is, Daemon has always been the one my heart yearned for."

"And you are the living proof of that," Daemon added.

The room fell silent. Even the fireplace seemed to have lost its fire, and the sounds of the birds and ocean had faded into nothingness.

Visenya's heart pounded in her chest, her mind racing. "What?"

Rhaenyra turned to Daemon, horrified. "Daemon!"

"What are you trying to say?" Visenya demanded.

"I'm not trying to say anything. I'm saying that I am your true father, Visenya."

Tears welled up in Visenya's eyes, and she began to giggle, then laugh hysterically. "Father? Because you slept with Mother sixteen years ago?"

"Visenya!" Rhaenyra tried to interject.

"My father is Laenor Velaryon. He held me through my nightmares. He raised me. He is my father, not you." Visenya jabbed her finger into Daemon's chest, which he grabbed and would not let go.

Her words were like daggers to his heart. She was right. He hadn't been there to protect her or raise her. But he was here now, and he vowed never to leave her side again.

"I understand this is overwhelming," Daemon said, desperation in his eyes as he pleaded with his daughter. He wished he had the eloquence of Rhaenyra or Viserys to explain everything he wanted to say.

Visenya glared at him with hatred in her eyes. Had he been involved in orchestrating Laenor's "death"? If he truly loved her mother, why hadn't he married her all those years ago? Why hadn't he raised Visenya? Why? Questions swirled in her mind, tearing at her heart.

Visenya turned to her mother, whose tears flowed freely down her cheeks, ready to face her daughter's wrath.

Visenya kissed her mother's cheek and took her hand. "I'll be in my room, Mother."

Her eyes conveyed that her anger was directed toward Daemon, not Rhaenyra. While part of her felt relieved that her daughter didn't blame her for the situation—since Rhaenyra was just as guilty as Daemon—the other part ached for the painful scene she had witnessed between her love and their daughter.

As Visenya left the room, Daemon turned to look out the window, where a ship was arriving, bringing the rest of the family home.

Rhaenyra approached Daemon and placed her hand on his. "She will come around."

Daemon stood in silence, and his only response was to kiss the hand that caressed his.

Visenya's heart was beating, her head pulsing. It seemed like her lungs would betray her at any moment. She thought she understood everything after Laenor left. She thought she understood everything after she left. Why does this keep happening? Why is everything changing so quickly?

She burst into her room and flung herself at the innocent mirror that taunted her with her own reflection. Before it fell, before the pieces of glass scattered across the floor, she caught a glimpse of herself. Pacing. Hands clenched so hard her knuckles had turned white. No more tears left in her eyes to cry out. Would she ever cry again? It seems as though she has cried enough for this lifetime already. Her short hair, barely touching her shoulders now, a never-ending reminder of her fits of rage, of her uncontrollable temper. As the glass smashed and the loud thud from the vanity echoed through the halls, Visenya looked down at the scattered reflection. This was more perfect. More representing of who she saw inside. All parts of her, scattered, broken, not fitting together.

All she wished for when she came to Dragonstone was peace. Contempt. Why was this chaos following her now? Would she have to run to fucking Dorne? To Old Valyria? Where can she escape all of this?

As she sat on the floor looking at the pieces of glass in front of her, Rhaena entered the room.

The girl slowly went up to Visenya and sat down next to her. She carefully placed her hand upon her back.

"I take it they told you already," Rhaena started as Visenya was coming down, starting to catch her breath.

"Laenor is my father." Was all Visenya could manage. That was all that was really screaming in her mind. As she held the ring in her hand that Laenor had left her. As she replayed the last night they said goodbye over and over again.

Rhaena sighed.

"And father is not trying to replace him...He cares for you, truly."

"How long have you known?"

"He told us when we came to King's Landing."

"And?" Visenya turned to face Rhaena, not sure why she asked the question or what answer she expected.

"It's...Complicated. As it is for you, I understand. Baela and I are so happy to call you sister, but knowing that both of our parent's relationships were just...Obstacles for Father and Rhaenyra to be together... It's..."

"Complicated. Yeah." Visenya forced a half-smile. At least she wasn't alone in this.

She wanted to tell Rhaena that it's even harder since she knew her father was alive. Well. Laenor was alive? Daemon was her father. Daemon would now be all of their father, even her brothers.

Her brothers.

"Luke-"

"Lucearys is downstairs, waiting for you. I asked to speak with you first; something told me you'd react the way you did." Rhaena smiled. "You and him are really alike, you know?"

"Me and Luke?"

"You and father."

"Oh."

Visenya sighed one last time and started to pick up the pieces of glass she had broken. Rhaena was quick to start helping. As the girls finished, they interlocked their hands and started to head downstairs.

"Visenya!" the boy screamed and rushed from his mother's side to his sister. He jumped into her arms, as Visenya struggled to pick him up. Lucearys was growing fast, and sadly, soon he would be too heavy for her to pick up, so she would try her hardest for as long as she could.

"Luke!" Visenya felt herself smiling. Genuinely. His dark curls brushing over her face, his tiny hands gripping her with all his might. As she let him down back on his feet, he noticed her new hair.

"You have hair like mine now!"

"I just need some dye, and we'll be twins!" Visenya joked, leaving Lucearys confused about what this dye she spoke of was.

As Rhaenyra watched her two children reunite, she noticed Visenya's hands were cut up. They weren't when she left to go to her chambers just a moment ago. Rhaenyra's stomach started to startle again. How much has Visenya gone through these past months? Her sweet child was so obviously struggling through this all, and she let her go through it alone this time.

Visenya lifted her eyes to meet her mother's gaze and started walking towards her. She took her aside to speak.

"This past year has brought many changes into my life. Most of them unwelcome," Visenya started. "But as our mother, I trust you know what's best for us. I'm happy all of you are here now. I truly am. It will just take some time to get used to."

Rhaenyra took Visenya's cheek and glanced her thumb through it.

"You are wise beyond your years. And I am sorry to have brought so much at once to you and your siblings. I'm sorry I was not there when you found out about Laenor's death. He is your father. He was. But Daemon..."

"When I'm ready."

"Very well."

.

.

.

The halls of Driftmark were somber. All of the servants had once more donned black, which they had not so long ago stopped wearing after Lady Laena's death. Lord Corlys stood beside his wife as they watched ships approaching from both King's Landing and Dragonstone.

"They'll be here soon enough. We should go down to greet them."

"They killed him. They killed them both so that they could get married," Rhaenys said in a cold tone, her throat still sore from the screams she had wept all night.

"Rhaenyra loved Laenor. She would not cause their sons such heartache. Neither would Daemon..." (Daemon would. Corlys knew that. But he spoke nonetheless, trying to convince himself just as much as his wife.) Corlys turned to face Rhaenys. "We still have grandsons and granddaughters left. Our blood, our house lives on."

"Granddaughters. I have granddaughters left." This was the first time Rhaenys had spoken of the fact they both had known since the first brown-haired babe had been born.

The first ship to arrive was the King's. King Viserys arrived with his wife and daughter. After the last time at Driftmark, Alicent refused to bring Aemond and Aegon with them, and after a long and tiring argument, Viserys obliged. She would have left Helaena as well, if not for the girl pleading to come with. She never expressed any wants, so how could Alicent say no, when her daughter had even rewarded her with a hug when she agreed?

As the King and Queen expressed their condolences to Lord Corlys and Princess Rhaenys, Helaena sat on the edge of a cliff, expecting a ship coming from Dragonstone.

She sat on the grass; a tiny ladybug flew onto her hand. She examined it with great interest and counted the dots on its wings. One, two, three, four. Four. Four more years.

"Four more years." Helaena whispered to the ladybug. The tiny bug flew away, and as Helaena watched it disappear, a ship appeared on the horizon, bearing the Targaryen sigil, just as the one she and her parents had come with.

"Losing a child is a fate that one would not wish upon their worst enemy. Losing two... I could not imagine. If there is anything you should ever need, anything we could grant you-"

"Nothing you could offer will ever bring my children back," Rhaenys interrupted the King and looked at Alicent with a chilling gaze. The last time they saw one another, Alicent had made Laena's funeral into a spectacle all about her son. She taunted Laenor about his son's legitimacy and his own nocturnal activities. And although Rhaenys might have shared the distaste of Rhaenyra's actions, she would never act as vulgar as Alicent did. She wondered why she had even bothered to come.

"The stranger has reunited your children now. I pray that their souls find more peace in the next realm than they had in this one, Princess," the Queen broke the awkward silence trying to be sincere. In truth, she did feel for Rhaenys. She could never imagine losing Helaena. Or Aemond. Or Daeron. Or Aegon. All she did as queen, as a mother, was for them. And although they did not see eye to eye, better yet, they did not really know each other, Alicent could feel the sorrow of Rhaeny's loss. Deep inside, when her husband had uttered his words, she thought that she would indeed not wish even Rhaenyra to lose her child. Bastard or not.

The guards announced the arrival of Princess Rhaenyra, Prince Daemon, and their children. The family walked in as one, Visenya holding Luceary's hand, Jacearys, Baela, and Rhaena following behind.

Lucearys clutched onto Visenya at the sight of Alicent, the night on which she tried to take his eye for her son's flashing through his eyes. His sister squeezed his hand and gave him a reassuring look. As long as she breathed, no harm would be done to him. No harm would come to any of her family. She looked at the queen ever so quickly, knowing that a longer look would not be able to hide the disdain she felt towards her. Viserys rushed, as quickly as he could, given his condition, towards Rhaenyra and the children. Rhaenyra had left a week after Laenor's death, so his attention went towards Visenya, whom he had not yet expressed his condolences to. The King rushed to embrace his granddaughter, examining her face and failing to find any traces of grief that so obviously plagued her brothers.

"My darling Visenya, it has been too long. I'm so sorry, my child. Losing a father is not something one should suffer so young," the king spoke in between coughs.

Visenya looked down to Lucearys, whose eyes were starting to water at the reminder of why they were all gathered here. She brushed over his hair and lifted her head to speak to her grandsire.

"Thank you, grandsire. Father... Father will be a man we shall never forget." What? What was she saying? What does one say when their father dies? Visenya was not an actress. Her father was not dead. A moon ago, she probably would have just started sobbing at the mention of her deceased father. But now. Gods, she should just shut up.

The children made their way across the yard to Lord Corlys and Princess Rhaenys. Lucearys let go of Visenya's hand and rushed in to hug Corlys. The old man's fingers trembled at the act, and he got down on one knee to get on Lucearys's level. As the boy started to cry into his shoulder, and his grandsire whispered something to him, Visenya felt a pair of hands embrace her.

Rhaenys put her chin on Visenya's head and sighed a breath of relief.

"I'm so glad you're here. He loved you so much." a sound of gentleness reserved for only the closest of people escaped the princess's mouth.

"He loved all of us, grandmother." Visenya wrapped her hands around Rhaenys, unused to her grandmother showing her that kind of affection. Killing herself over the fact that she could not tell her the one thing that would make the pain go away.

Rhaenys looked upon Visenya and felt her hair with her fingers.

"You're not taking this well either, I see." her eyes glimmering with the slightest hint of tears.

Not knowing why, not really understanding, Visenya's own eyes swelled up, and all she could fathom was to nod in agreement. For although her father was not dead, and she had just learned that her real father would not leave but rather only begin to be in her life, the words spoke the biggest truth there was. She was not taking this well at all. None of it.

Baela and Rhaena came to join their sister, and Rhaenys led the three of them away from the rest of the family.

"I thought I could live with the fact that my children were a flight away from me when they married. Then I lost your mother," she turned to Baela and Rhaena, "and the only person I kept living for was your father," she looked at Visenya, "Now-" Rhaenys choked up, and the three girls all tried to comfort her as best as they could. "Now, you are all I have left of my children. And I am not letting you go anywhere away from me. I will not let one hair fall from either one of your heads."

As Rhaenys was speaking, it pained Visenya to understand why her brothers weren't asked to be a part of the conversation. Gods, she shouldn't even be a part of this conversation either! But here it was, another secret she would have to keep. For her other father. For the sake of her mother.

"I want you three to stay at Driftmark," Rhaenys ended. Her voice, more of a command than a plea. She really would have made a great queen.

Baela nodded in understanding, while Rhaena and Visenya looked at each other in unison.

"Grandmother, I love you. We all do. And I understand. But you are asking for us to leave our parents-"

"Your parents!" Rhaenys stopped herself before saying something vile. Before saying something she could not unsay. She was many things, but she was not cruel. And Visenya had just lost a father. "Your parents... Shall have Jacearys, Lucearys, and Joffrey. Without a doubt, they shall have children of their own soon." she continued with a tinge more sarcasm than intended.

Visenya stiffened in her chair. Not because of the possibility of future siblings, but rather since there already was a child of Rhaenyra and Daemon in the room.

"I'm sorry, but I can not leave my mother so soon after I've reunited with her."

"Neither can I, father. True, Rhaenyra might have her sons, but Baela and I are the only daughters father has." Rhaena spoke, pinching Visenya's hand, as if to say sorry for not being able to include her in her speech. "We are all going to be family by marriage now, we have to stick together."

"I'll stay," Baela spoke out. If she'd close her eyes, Visenya could have sworn it was Rhaenys that spoke. "I'll stay here with you, grandmother. Rhaena and Visenya can be with our parents; I've long wanted to grant mother's wish of coming back to Driftmark."

Rhaenys hugged Baela tightly and kissed both Rhaena and Visenya. For as emotional as she was at that moment, and as hard as she did want all three of them to stay, deep down she knew that was never really an option.

As the rest of the people gathered for the funeral, Visenya found Helaena. She rushed to greet her friend.

"It's been too long!" Visenya ran up to Helaena, stopping right before remembering she did not like to be hugged without being asked first. Helaena nodded in giving her permission, and Visenya gently and shortly hugged her friend.

"Two can share a name," Helaena murmured in her ear. "Two can share a daughter.'"

Visenya had forgotten for a moment that Helaena was a dreamer.

"I guess. It's hard to come to terms with it."

Helaena nodded in understanding. "Better to have two than none." She said as she looked at Viserys and Rhaenyra talking.

"Now, don't say that. Grandsire loves you all." Visenya spoke, not really believing what she said either. It was quite sad to see how Viserys favored Rhaenyra over the rest of his children. Of course, it would seldom bother Visenya, as having her mother be the favorite was not something she would be sad about, but having her friend be ignored because of it would often make her feel torn inside.

"How have you been? How are the children?"

"Good. I've been having nightmares often. But other than that... Good. Jaeheara has started to take an interest in sewing. I've been teaching her."

It baffled Visenya how she and Helaena could be the same age, but Helaena was already a mother. Visenya still felt like a child. She would still run from her problems to her mother's chambers if she could. (Her mother would probably encourage that still)

"I've missed you, sister. We have to see each other soon."

"Four years."

"Nonsense, I'll see you sooner than that. If you could convince your mother to let you come here, maybe she'll warm up to you coming to Dragonstone sooner than late too?"

Helaena's eyes wandered off into the distance, the conversation being lost on her.

Visenya realized that perhaps she was right. Actually, she was always right with her predictions. Gods, four years? What more could happen in that time? What else would change? She placed her head on Helaena's shoulder and picked up a bug crawling nearby.

"Four years it is then." she placed the bug into Helaena's palm.

As the funeral neared its end, Baela finally told Daemon about her plans to stay at Driftmark.

"You can't be serious? Must I always have one daughter away from me?" Daemon paced, asking half jokingly. "You'll be in good hands. But what about Rhaena?"

"Rhaena and I are always going to be together. Besides, it's not like I'm going to Braavos. I'll be with grandmother and grandsire; you can always visit. It's what mother would have wanted."

Daemon stopped at the mention of Laena.

"Very well. You're right. Your mother would be very proud. As am I."

He kissed Baela's forehead and turned to join the rest of their family. He shook Corlys's hand and kissed Rhaeny's, asking them to take good care of his daughter. He knew they would.

Baela and Rhaena hugged each other and exchanged the matching bracelets they had always worn. As Visenya watched them from a distance, they turned and signaled for her to come over.

Baela took out a third bracelet from behind her back and put it on Visenya's wrist.

"Rhaena and I exchanged our bracelets so we would have a piece of each other while we're away. You're our sister. You shall have a piece of both of us now too."

Visenya smiled at the sentiment. Targaryens and Velaryons really loved their jewelry, didn't they?

As the family said their goodbyes, the Queen was the first to get on the ship. Alicent had not exchanged words with neither Rhaenyra nor Daemon, since she had said her half-sincere sympathies back at King's Landing. Helaena went with Alicent, since she really did not have another choice, and Viserys said goodbye to his daughter and brother, finally giving them his blessing for their union.

As their ship sailed back to Dragonstone, Visenya fiddled with the bracelet Baela had given her.

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

287K 8.9K 59
"Why you must make me bleed my love" said Daemon "For it bring me nothing but joy" Replied Aelana * * * * When Aegon I conquered the Westeros with hi...
77.8K 1.9K 15
what if Rhaenyra and daemon targaryen had a daughter that lives and send her to live with malfoy to protect. targaryen and malfoy related, how? what...
559K 18.6K 98
Like her mother, Princess Visenya Velaryon had grown closer with her uncle Aemond. The two children would often sneak away from their duties to play...
291K 10.1K 68
Daemon and Rhaenyra's night at the pleasure house had consequences. Viserys disinherits Rhaenyra when she refuses to marry Laenor and gives Daemon an...