Live Forever

By PetrificusSomewhatus

The summer after Harry's fourth year would have been much better if just one person in his life had disregard... More

1: Live Forever - Part 1
1: Live Forever - Part 2
1: Live Forever - Part 3
1: Live Forever - Part 4
1: Live Forever - Part 5
2: Cigarettes and Alcohol - Part 1
2: Cigarettes and Alcohol - Part 2
2: Cigarettes and Alchohol - Part 3
2: Cigarettes & Alcohol: Part 4
2: Cigarettes and Alcohol - Part 5
3: Half The World Away - Part 1
3: Half The World Away - Part 2
3: Half The World Away - Part 4
4: Slide Away - Part 1
4: Slide Away - Part 2
4: Slide Away - Part 3
4: Slide Away - Part 4
4: Slide Away - Part 5
5: Acquiesce - Part 1
5: Acquiesce - Part 2
5: Acquiesce - Part 3
5: Acquiesce - Part 4
6: Talk Tonight - Part 1
6: Talk Tonight - Part 2
6: Talk Tonight - Part 3
6: Talk Tonight - Part 4
7: Whatever - Part 1
7: Whatever - Part 2
7: Whatever - Part 3
7: Whatever - Part 4

3: Half The World Away - Part 3

1.7K 73 11
By PetrificusSomewhatus

July 11, 1995

The worst part about this program was there was always some other blasted helpful component to move onto. The thought of tracking all of the patient accounts and amounts owed was intriguing. And he was getting much better at typing...he now used two fingers.

Hermione walked into the room and took a seat. She'd made it home from her visit with Harry with ten minutes to spare.

"How did it go today?"

"Great," she mumbled. David purposely ignored the pleased smile his daughter was now sporting.

"He didn't put up too much of a fight about the trainers?"

She shook her head. "I just handled it like Mum handles you."

"Your mother does not handle me," he protested.

"I basically told him he was being silly and just wasting time by being stubborn," she continued.

He opened his mouth to protest but stopped. That did sound like how Jane handled him.

"Okay, fine. Maybe I do let your mother get her way some of the time. It's the polite thing to do isn't it?"

"Harry was much less stubborn than you are when Mum-"

"Your mother is the stubborn one," he mumbled defiantly, drawing a chuckle from Hermione.

"I told Harry that they knew I had visited him last week. He gave me this so I could travel undetected," she informed, holding up a shiny piece of fabric.

"Nice rug," he complimented falsely. Based on Hermione's description he knew exactly what it was.

"It's not a rug," she protested immediately. "It's a- You know what it is, don't you?"

"Are you sure it's not a rug? It looks like a rug."

"Fine. If you don't want to try out the rug than-"

"It's an invisibility cloak!" he blurted as he reached for the artifact and quickly wrapped it around his body.

"This rug is amazing!" he exclaimed as he looked down at his now non-existent body.

Hermione laughed as she took back the cloak and carefully folded it back up, holding it protectively in her lap.

"Harry had never heard of Oasis," Hermione eventually declared, a bit of sadness in her voice.

"Lucky for him," he quipped, drawing a glare quite similar to his wife's best efforts.

After several seconds he understood her comment. Those twats were everywhere and for a resident of England to be unaware of their existence seemed a bit unfathomable...especially a teenage boy. It had only taken Hermione a week of being home last summer before she had commented on how annoying they were. His heart sank a bit at the implications.

Over the last couple of weeks he'd been picturing Harry stuck alone in his room all day. But now...for the first time...he could hear the silence. He realized they could do something about that.

"Let's go...the shops will be closing soon."

July 24, 1995

All and all David Granger was having an especially good summer. Temperatures had been mild, Hermione had been more present and content than he could remember, he was now using all of his fingers (kind of)to type on the computer, and that prat Wallenby hadn't stopped while he was working in the yard to brag about his car...or his golf game...or anything. The prat had walked right by him...twice! It was brilliant. And with the exception of a few letters the wizards had even managed to stay away for the last couple of weeks. He knew it was too good to last.

"Professor McGonagall would like to speak with you," Hermione grit out as she entered the kitchen. It was clear that Hermione's head of house thought, having failed to sway Hermione, she'd be able to win them over. He actually felt a bit bad for the woman. Just a bit.

He fought the urge to grin as Jane sat quietly and listened to Professor McGonagall's vague and circular reasoning for why it was so important for Hermione to stay away from Little Whinging. It's a bad idea because it's not safe so because it's a bad idea it's not safe...did I mention it's not safe and therefore a bad idea?

The woman had paused awkwardly several times...clearly anticipating that they would say something. Agree with her...ask questions...express concern...anything. But Jane just sat quietly...her most pleasantly insincere grin plastered on his face. His grin, however, was exceedingly sincere as he waited for Jane's spirited rebuttal.

"So...as you can see...it really is in both children's best interests that these visits cease," she finally concluded. It may have been his imagination but even McGonagall didn't seem to believe what she was saying.

"I just have one question," Jane began calmly," and I was waiting for you to answer it. Perhaps I missed it amongst all the word salad. Why?"

"I don't understand," McGonagall lied. David could tell she understood completely.

"Well you've said it's dangerous for Harry...it's dangerous for Hermione...that it's dangerous for us. But I'm still waiting for you to explain why. Why is it dangerous? Harry has followed every instruction that he's been given...he and Hermione have taken their own precautions which appear to be working...and you are being very non-specific with these threats."

The witch remained silent and David wondered if she was about to do that disappearing thing he'd read about in one of Hermione's books. She looked like she desperately wanted to.

"As I understand it no-one has told Harry he isn't supposed to leave his house so it seems like it's actually safer for him if Hermione accompanies him on his authorized excursions. Strength in numbers and all that. Right?"

Jane paused in false consideration. "Actually, Hermione, has anyone beside you communicated anything important to Harry this summer."

"No," Hermione replied, her arms folded. "Nothing has been explained to him. No-one else has even bothered talking to Harry." His daughter seemed much less angry than his wife...merely disappointed.

"Harry's relatives aren't comfortable around magic-"

"Hermione is a witch and she was able to manage it," Jane interjected, her prior pleasantness now nothing but a memory. "Are you telling me a fifteen year old girl is smarter than a group of adults? Or is she merely more brave and caring?

He was enjoying the back and forth so much that he'd almost missed his cue.

"We appreciate your concern but we think Harry and his state of mind are worth the risk. I've barely spoken to the boy but based on what Hermione has described Harry has experienced some truly horrific things recently and needs all the friends he can get. To be honest we were hoping that Hermione might have been exaggerating the circumstances a bit just so she could visit her boyfriend. Is she exaggerating?"

There was a small part of him that thought Hermione really may be inflating Harry's situation as an excuse to see him but the look on McGonagall's face put all those doubts to rest. If anything it suggested that Hermione had merely scratched the surface of Harry's suffering. He suddenly felt like an ass for taking any enjoyment out of the situation. None of this was funny.

"What was it that your headmaster said at his end of term speech, Hermione?" Jane continued. "It was important to do what was right over what was easy. Between you and Hermione who would you say has chosen to follow that advice?"

As their visitor looked properly ashamed and began saying her awkward goodbyes David felt his own annoyance growing. He was tired of these pointless sodding visits. They were as bad as Wallenby. Well...maybe not quite that bad.

"I've never seen my daughter happier and we are very proud of her for choosing to help Harry. If you really do come up with the whys that Jane asked about please let us know. Otherwise I'd appreciate it if you left us alone to enjoy our summer."

The door had barely shut behind their visitor before Hermione wheeled toward him. "You didn't have to be so mean. And Harry is not my boyfriend."

"Oh please, Hermione, everything we said was true and she needed to hear it," Jane tutted as she walked into the kitchen, "and he may not be your boyfriend yet but it is obvious how you feel about Harry. Even your father can see it."

"Hey!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

643 68 32
What would happen if a female Severus Snape is forced to spend her summer with her worst enemies or ignore a once-in-a-lifetime chance?
364K 6.4K 17
**MATURE CONTENT** (Smut alert!) She felt herself lean back into him and he didn't move. "You've been avoiding me, Granger, I've missed you," he told...
912 14 33
Y/n had a pretty great life. She had a family she loved, and that loved her. She had two best friends that loved and cared for her; The feeling was m...
22.5K 366 15
Hi! I'm Nerdy Fan and welcome to yet another Harmione story! This story will take place in 6th year, however, I'm going to skip past what happens in...