Two Steps Back | Bada Lee Fan...

By lavenona

She fought it hard, then harder, but it was like boiling the ocean. Taking a step forward led to her taking a... More

Two Steps Back
Prologue
Chapter 02: Was She Hit in the Head?
Chapter 03: She Heard It
Chapter 04: In Case You Forgot
Chapter 05: She was Soaked in the Rain

Chapter 01: You're Not Her

825 27 2
By lavenona

"Do I even get a say in this?" I asked as I let Lisa drag me from my last class to the university's dance studio. She wanted to show me something—a choreography she made, she said.

"Of course you don't. You're my cousin. We're bound by blood. You have no choice!"

"Your boldness is cute and annoying. I wonder where you got it from."

"I wanna say from you, but you're younger than me." She stuck her tongue out before letting go of my hand to open the studio door. She went ahead and got inside while I remained standing by the threshold, scanning the place.

I've been here at the university since freshman year, but I never got the chance to step into this place. The only time I got to see what it looked like was when Lisa would show me her dance videos. It looked small back then and darker, but from where I was standing, the studio looked spacious.

I stepped further in and craned my neck. The walls were painted light brown, with artworks of varying sizes hanging on one side of the room. On my right was the floor-length mirror that's stretched from one side of the room to the other, reflecting me and the majestic painting behind me. A giant chandelier hung in the middle of the ceiling. Being inside seemed like being in a museum.

"Hey, you're late!" I turned around and saw my cousin coming out of the door at the far end of the studio, just a few steps away from the painting I couldn't help admiring. I suppose that's the locker or shower area, whatever they call it.

"I know!" I did another turn and came face to face with a gorgeous blonde girl I haven't seen in a while. "This one professor just had to have a pretest at the last minute. I mean, I aced it, but she could've used the time she spent narrating her life with it—oh my God! You're here! You're really here!"

Roseanne Park enveloped me in her arms, offering me her tightest hug as she squealed in glee.

"I miss you too, girly!" I couldn't help but grin at how she squeezed me in her arms.

Rosie's been one of my ride-or-die since college. Along with Lisa, she's been with me through my ups and downs. She's everywhere, but in a good way. I'm not even kidding. I remember one time when I locked myself in the auditorium, crying because I didn't get the role that I wanted in the play, when she appeared out of nowhere, offering me a handkerchief. I swear I was alone at that time.

"I can't believe it! I mean, Lisa did tell us you're coming back, but I didn't take it seriously," she said, throwing my cousin a teasing look. "But you're here! Since when?"

I shrugged, suddenly embarrassed to admit I've been in the city for the whole summer but didn't say a thing to any of them. I was too preoccupied with my summer classes and getting my life together.

"Was here the whole summer." Her shocked expression, although short, did not escape my eyes.

God, I feel so mean.

"I was busy with my summer classes, you know, and I had to catch up unless I wanna redo my freshman year." I tried to say it coolly. I had to tone down my voice. Otherwise, she'll know there's more to it than that.

Roseanne nodded in understanding. "Right, of course." She made a quick glance to Lisa, who was still behind me, subtly raised her left brow, then dropped her gaze at me again.

I so know that look.

"Tell me more about it later. There's no way I'm letting you go without catching up." Rosie's right arm clung to my left and dragged me to the front of the studio, by the full-length mirror. She dropped her bag and sat down while pulling me down with her. "But for now, why don't we watch Lisa perform her choreography? She's been working on it for weeks."

""I know; I honestly have a hard time sleeping at night hearing her stomping and dancing on the other side of the room."

Lisa rolled her eyes at us.

"Please stop. Our rooms are soundproof. You couldn't have possibly heard me panting like a dog."

The teasing went on for a couple of minutes before Lisa dismissed it and started doing a warm-up. She seemed tense to me. Rosie must've sensed it, too, considering how she started hyping her up. "Let's go, Lis."

Once my cousin started dancing, Rosie only got louder. "You go gorgeous!" And louder. "Man, did someone turn the AC off?!" And even louder. "Good God, how'd you make those hips?"

I giggled at her last remark. I missed having these girls in my life and this kind of support. Some might think what she's doing is embarrassing, especially when done in a public place, but Rosie doesn't mind. I actually did before; I found it embarrassing once or twice, but then I realized that not everybody has friends as supportive as that. Plus, I'd rather have them applaud me, no matter how embarrassing it is for others, than have friends who'd die to bring you down.

"She's really good, you know," Roseanne whispered while Lisa tried to perfect her ending pose. "She's really worked hard for this choreo, hope she gets it."

I nodded but then scrunched my forehead, not sure what she meant with the last one.

"What do you mean? Is this for a competition?"

The girl shrugged. "Sort of. The club's chairwoman asked if anyone wanted to choreograph one of the songs for the school opening. Lisa volunteered, but so did two other members, so the chair made it a competition."

"Oh..." I eyed my cousin again, watching as she did the dance from the top.

Seeing her execute the steps better than when she first did it, I started seeing a different side of my cousin. I've always seen Lisa as laid-back, whether it's at home or in school. She never tries but still excels, so this determination I'm seeing on her face right now is kind of a surprise to me.

Rosie stood up and asked Lisa to teach her the steps.

"Oh, come on! You know you're gonna get it. She likes your style!" Roseanne insisted, talking about someone else, when the other girl declined.

After a minute or two of arguing, Lisa finally taught her the steps, and in no time, they were already dancing together.

"Why don't we try recording it? Just to see it from a different perspective."

"I'll do the recording!" I volunteered and grabbed Lisa's phone from her hand.

"Great!"

"I don't think we still have t—"

"Lalisa Manoban-Cadwell," Roseanne's monotone voice echoed on the four sides of the studio. "Is that hesitation I hear? That's so not you, girl."

"No!" My cousin strongly denied as she handed me her iPad. "Start the recording before you play the music," she instructed me, then got back to her place. Rosie stood on her left side but was a little more to the back.

When Lisa nodded my way, I started recording and then pressed the play button.

"How was that?" She asked after our third recording. "You think that went better?"

Rosie, sweating and panting on the far end of the room, glared at her.

"Don't!" She warned her best friend. "Can we look at it later? Let's take a break first. God, I'm so tired. I don't even want to go home anymore."

As Lisa and her went through the door at the back with their bags, I viewed the video I recently took.

It did look better than the first two vids. Their moves were sharper and more snappy, and they were in perfect sync. I honestly think Lisa's choreography will be chosen, though I haven't seen the other two yet.

It did look better than the first two. Their moves were sharper and more snappy, and they were in perfect sync. I honestly think Lisa's choreography will be chosen, though I haven't seen the other two yet.

The sudden vibration of her phone startled me so much that I almost dropped it off. Someone was calling her with the caller ID 'Big Bad B.'

I guess my cousin's still bad with nicknames, because what the heck is this?

"Uhm... Lisa? Somebody's calling you!" I shouted at the slightly opened door. I'm not sure if she heard me, but I got no response, so I guess there's that.

"Lis?" I stood up just as the phone stopped vibrating, the name disappearing from the screen. "Huh."

I was about to sit back down when the same name flashed on screen again. I did a quick run to where my cousin went, but only stayed by the door.

"Lisa? Someone's calling you!"

It took me a while before I noticed the sound of running water from a distance. I guess they're in the shower.

"Hey Lisa!" I shouted louder.

"Yeah?!"

"I said someone's calling you!"

"Bitch, I'm already naked! Will you answer it for me, please?"

I rolled my eyes and huffed before swiping the answer button.

A screeching noise can be heard from the other side of the line; I had to move it away from my ear.

"Hel—"

"Hey, Lis." A hoarse voice from the other line cut me off. "I know I said I'd be meeting you guys this afternoon, but I'm still sick, so we need to postpone it tomorrow." A series of coughing and sniffing sounds were heard next. "Can you ask the others if they're available? I'll try to come today if they aren't; the meeting's still at 4 p.m. anyway. I think I can..." Another coughing and sniffing, and I'm starting to feel sorry for her. "I think I can still make it."

I tried to think of a response. I don't really know who this is, so I'm not sure how to approach this person. The last thing I want is to cause my cousin any trouble.

"Lisa? Did you hear me?" The caller asked when I didn't answer.

I cleared my throat and tried to use the safest approach—the polite way. "Hi, sorry. I wasn't sure how to—"

"Wait." The Big Bad B cut me off again. The hoarseness of her voice was still there, only it was more high-pitched this time. "You're not her. Who are you?!"

Oh God, she sounded mad now.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

68.6K 2.9K 20
JENLISA GXG STORY Enjoy!! And vote guysss!! - Started: 26th March 2022 Ended: 22nd May 2022
10.8K 292 14
RYTHYMIC REVERIE. A renowned model and dancer, mentored by the legendary King of Pop and craving a fresh and exhilarating experience, enthusiasticall...
47.8K 1.9K 10
Just Jennie, Lisa and some drama because of Lisa's stupid idea. #43/ 1.2k rosie #72/ 4.3k jenlisa started: 16 dec 2019 published: 7 jan 2020 complete...
29.5K 1K 26
Because love can either damn you or dumb you. A/N: 2nd book Story and plot from yours truly. Started: Jan. 10, 2022 Ended: Jan. 29, 2022 Edited: J...