Breaking His Rules

By itz_ema

Book 1 in the Love and Rules series. Can be read as a standalone. It hurts when you find your boyfriend che... More

🏈1🏈
🏈2🏈
🏈3🏈
🏈4🏈
🏈5🏈
🏈6🏈
🏈7🏈
🏈8🏈
🏈9🏈
🏈11🏈
🏈12🏈
🏈13🏈
🏈14🏈
🏈15🏈
🏈16🏈
🏈17🏈
🏈18🏈
🏈19🏈
🏈20🏈
🏈21🏈
🏈22🏈
🏈23🏈
🏈24🏈
🏈25🏈
🏈26🏈
🏈27🏈
🏈28🏈
🏈29🏈
🏈30🏈
🏈31🏈
Epilogue

🏈10🏈

1.5K 58 50
By itz_ema

Kayla's POV:

I pull into the driveway and get out of the car, slamming the door shut.

That wasn't fair though. The car didn't do anything.

I sigh as I rummage through my bag for my set of keys, then I open the door. I smell food cooking and I smile.

"Dad?", I call out and he pokes out his head from the kitchen.

"Kayla, you're home early", he says in Italian.

"So are you", I reply back in Italian.

He gives me a smile as he pops his head back into the kitchen. I carry my bag up the stairs to my room, and once I am safely in, I slam the door shut and toss the bag into a corner.

This week has been absolutely frustrating, and I am so glad that it is over. Steph tried to beg me to go to Marcus' party with her and Quinn, but I just wasn't feeling in the party mood.

I take off my shirt and skirt, and put on a pair of shorts, not bothering with a shirt.

I wonder what Aaron is doing

The thought pops unbidden in my head, and I wave it away. I've been waving away thoughts of him throughout this week. I can't bear to think of how I embarrassed myself that day. I have been avoiding him ever since and I even skip some of the classes that we have together.

The kiss followed by his blatant rejection still haunts my memories. Hey, I don't blame him – I would have rejected such a sudden kiss as well.

But I just don't understand why I kissed him.

"Kayla", my dad shouts from downstairs. "Someone is here to see you"

"Tell Steph that I am not going to the party", I yell back, slightly annoyed. Steph has been trying to persuade me to go to this party since it was 'Quinn's first party and we need to be there to cheer her on'. It would be just like her to try and persuade me to go last minute, but I can't. it's a football party, and Aaron might be there.

Man something must be wrong with me.

I grab my headphones, and put them over my head while I play some Eminem – his music makes me feel like a dangerous little baddie. I rustle in my bag for my sketchbook, then I settle on the floor cross-legged and begin to sketch out my latest idea.

Vaguely I hear footsteps coming up but I don't take any notice. In retrospect, that was a big mistake.

My room door opens and I hear a gasp.

"Dad, I've told you to knock...", I start, but I falter as I look up.

Aaron.

I blink to make sure that I am not imagining that Aaron Delany, football team captain and my fake boyfriend is currently standing in my room while I am wearing nothing but a bra and some shorts.

"I... I'm sorry, I should have knocked", Aaron stutters, his face bright red with embarrassment.

It takes every ounce of self-control for me to not just dig a hole a die. Instead, I shrug and go back to my sketching, highly aware that his eyes are on me.

He clears his throat and I look up again.

"Could you put on a shirt please?"

Luckily, there is a green t-shirt right next to me, so I quickly put it on, then I stand to face him.

He is not in his uniform, which is strange to me – he usually looks so formal, so it's odd to see him in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt which shows off his perfectly sculpted muscles.

Not that I was looking of course.

"What are you doing here rulebook?"

"Part of our deal was that you would do your homework. You haven't been attending classes, so it's only fair to assume that you also haven't done any assignments."

I roll my eyes. Sometimes I forget that this boy is also the class captain and very strict with rule breakers.

"So you came all the way to my house to make me... do my homework?"

He nods, his eyes shifting from my face to look around my room. I follow his gaze.

Now before I start describing my room, cut me some slack. I didn't know I was going to be having a visitor, and I've been very busy working on some art projects, so I haven't had the time to really tidy up. And it's pretty obvious. Papers are scattered everywhere, there's some sort of blue paint spilled on the floor, my bed is covered in clothes, my uniform discarded in a pile near the door. My work table is buried under a mountain of crumpled paper from my discarded ideas. There are some pieces of my artwork hung up on the wall, but that's about it.

"Maybe we'll just go downstairs", I suggest, and Aaron nods. Grab my bag, and trudge down the stairs, Aaron following behind me. I would love to turn him out, but we had a deal, which means that I have to do my assignments.

My dad pokes his head out of the kitchen as we get down.

"Hello", he says to Aaron, and then turning to me he says, "He said that it was important for him to see you, so I let him into your room. I hope nothing is wrong?"

"Actually- "

"Nothing is wrong here Mr Barnes", Aaron cuts in giving a little bow. "I just came here to help her through some of her assignments that we were given in school"

My dad looks at me with an eyebrow raised in surprise.

"Aaron and I have a bet", I clarify "and part of the bet is that I do all my homework so..."

"of course of course", my dad nods, smiling at both of us. "Well, I'll be in the kitchen if you need me.", and with that he pops his head back into the kitchen leaving me alone with Aaron.

I make my way towards the dining room table and set my bag down on the seat by my left while Aaron takes the seat by my right.

"Your dad is pretty chill", Aaron comments as he rummages through his things, presumably for his notebook. "He didn't even complain that I came to your house unannounced. My parents will kill me if I did that", he muses.

"Well my dad is just as you said – he's really chill. What about your parents?"

As I ask, I realize that I don't know anything about Aaron's family life. Is he an only child? Does he have siblings? A pet? I instantly ask him all these questions, and he shakes his head.

"We aren't going to get sidetracked here Kay. I came to make sure that you do your homework."

I groan and he gives a grin.

"How about we make a deal. For every assignment that you do, I'll answer one question of your choice."

"Only one?", I pout and he nods.

"Take it or leave it"

I think on it for a moment.

"It's a deal"

🏈🏈🏈

One hour, five assignments and four questions later, Aaron puts away the last book and gives me a grin. We have successfully finished all the week's assignments and I am feeling very proud of myself. Aaron is a very good teacher and, with his help, I was able to catch up on all the work that I had missed.

"Congratulations Kayla. Now you can ask the last question"

I have to ponder on this one. So far, I have asked if he had siblings (he does), the job of his parents (mother is a lawyer, father is a doctor), whether or not he has pets (he doesn't) and why he and Jason hate each other (some old guy argument that I can't be bothered to remember).

However, I realize that I have two questions for Aaron.

"Can I ask two questions instead of one?", I plead.

Aaron shakes his head. "I've given the rules Kayla"

"Well rules are made to be broken"

"Not my rules", he says. "Now go on and ask your question."

I roll my eyes. He is such a rulebook.

"Fine. That night at the party. Why did you leave so early and looking so worried?"

I feel him stiffen a bit, then he takes a deep breath.

"You don't need to tell me if you don't want to", I say, but he shakes his head.

"I have to obey the rules", he says with a wan smile. "I left early that night because I have a curfew. A very strict one, and I didn't want to get in trouble and... break the rules"

"But couldn't you have told your parents that it was a football celebration?"

"My parents don't exactly support my hobby", he says, fiddling with his fingers while deliberately not looking at me.

I get what he means about not having supportive parents. Steph constantly complains about how she wishes that her dad would support her more.

"I'm sorry", I say, taking his hand in mine. He looks at me and I begin to blush. "I-I mean I'm sorry that your parents don't support your dreams, and I'm also sorry for making you talk about it"

"You didn't make me talk about it Kayla", He says, suddenly looking straight into my eyes. "I wanted to talk about it with you because I knew that you would understand"

I can't help the smile on my face at that.

"Kayla, about what happened that day in the nurses' office.... I just wanted to say that..."

"Dinner is ready Kayla", my dad yells as he walks majestically into the room holding steaming bowls of hot lasagna, and saving me from the embarrassment of continuing the conversation with Aaron.

"I should start going", Aaron says, slipping his hand away from mine and for a moment, I mourn the loss of skin contact.

"You should join us for dinner... err, what did you say your name was again"

"Aaron sir", Aaron replied.

"Oh nonsense, don't be so formal with me. Call me Clark. And I insist that you join us. My lasagna is legendary."

For a moment, Aaron looks like he might refuse, but the smell of my dad's lasagna is one of the most tempting things in the world, and eventually, he gives in and agrees to stay for dinner.

"So, how do you know my daughter?", Dad asks as we start to eat. The food is so awesome that Aaron is too busy eating to answer, and my Dad has to ask again. In case you didn't know, my Dad is an awesome cook.

"Um... I'm in her class"

"Oh, a classmate. Very interesting though, that a random classmate would come to visit her just to help her with her homework. Unless you came for something else", my Dad flashes a sly smile and I almost choke at the look on Aaron's face.

"Sir I didn't mean... I mean I...", Aaron stammers, and my Dad bursts out laughing.

"Relax Aaron. And I told you to call me Clark"

Aaron gives a weak smile and I laugh again. We continue our meal but soon my Dad has more to ask.

"So what do you do in school?"

"Oh... well I'm captain of the football team so I..."

"You play football? I'm so sorry but I didn't see you as the type. Most footballers don't wear glasses."

"I take them off when I play", Aaron says, but he looks a bit uncomfortable.

"Interesting", my Dads muses. "How do you see though. Anyway, when I was young I used to play as the quarterback and now I..."

"Umm... Dad", I interrupt. "Why do I smell something burning?"

"Oh my gosh the chocolate cake", my Dad gasps in horror, jumping from his seat and dashing to the kitchen.

Aaron laughs. "Your Dad is funny. And he's an awesome cook"

I grin. I love it when people compliment my Dad. I am just about to say this when my phone rings. I look at the caller ID. It's Steph.

"Hey girl...", I begin, but I am cut off. Steph is trying to explain something to me, but she is rushing, her voice loud and laced with panic.

"Steph calm down and explain clearly", I order her, giving Aaron a concerned glance. The phone isn't on speaker so he doesn't know what is going on.

Steph breathes in and out before explaining to me that Quinn fainted.

I curse under my breath, then I put the phone on speaker for Aaron to hear, and I tell Steph to repeat herself.

"I didn't know that she and Marcus where arguing", she sobs. "He called her some nasty names and pushed her into the pool. No one even tried to save her. When I finally got her out, she had passed out. Hear breathing is horrible. Omg Kay, what am I going to do?"

Aaron instantly snatches the phone from me.

"Check her left back pocket now Steph.", his voice is serious but calm. "You'll find her inhaler there. You know what to do with one right?"

Steph replies that she does, and the line goes silent for a while, until, after what feels like a lifetime, we hear Quinn's raspy cough and Steph's sigh of relief.

Aaron gives Steph and Quinn some more instructions, and eventually hangs up.

"Thank goodness that you were here right", I say, trying to break the tense silence.

Aaron looks at me, then stands up.

"I am going home Kayla. Goodnight", and before I can process what he is saying, he has slung his bag over his shoulder and is out the door.

A/N:  I am very sorry that I haven't posted in a while and I know a lot of people are mad at me because of that. This is mainly due to the fact that school is back in session for me, so there isn't a lot of time for writing. However, I will post at least once a week (sometimes twice). Keep reading, voting and letting me know your opinions in the comments. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

146K 5.3K 52
Maxon Blake has finally found the woman of his dreams. Convincing her wasn't easy. She got away from him once but no more. Now, he will do anything...
315K 2.8K 16
Kendall Lockwood spent her life in the shadows of other people. She was athletic but her brother, Austin, was the star quarterback. She was popular b...
195K 10.9K 32
Isabelle Holden has become a master of keeping up the good girl facade in order to keep her parents off her back and date the baddest boy in school...
543K 13.7K 61
"I want you to be my fake girlfriend," I'm sorry, his what? ----- Sapphire Kingston is just your ordinary girl. She has loving friends, exceptional...