Hidden Fear

By MistressVix

A collection of 14 short spooky stories that came straight from the deepest and darkest pits of your wildest... More

Warning
It Stalks At Night
Dont Look A Gift Horse In The Mouth
Beware The Snare
It Lives Within The Skin
They Lurk In The Shadows
Serpents Ledge
The Tooth Eater
Hell's Session
Nighty Nightmares
Dying to Win
Cuddle Me To Death
Mother Knows Best
You Wont Feel A Thing

The Yearly Feast

9 2 0
By MistressVix

One day in one week of one month of every year, all the families in the neighborhood community dressed in their best clothes , styled their hair to fit the newest trend , and waited patiently to be honored to receive a invite to the yearly feast that was held by the most respected and wealthiest family in town. Food production had become slow, and jobs began shutting down within the town. Each year someone was chosen amongst the families within the neighborhoods to be a guest at the PineHollow mansion. The families of the chosen were rewarded with a year supply of various foods and enough money to keep them afloat till the next feast.

No one knows what happens to those that are chosen. The families within the community never speak of them again once they leave for PineHollow. Not once have I ever seen anyone mourn those that do not return. "Danielle, stop dilly dallying and go get dressed." I slammed my head back against the cushioned headboard and lowered my book into my lap. "I've already participated literally half of my life and I just got back from working out of town. Can't I just pass this up just for one year?" I rubbed my eyes and groaned," besides you have Delilah and Dolly. I'm sure one of them will be picked. I heard Miss Johnson talk about some adoptive son or something that will be personally handing out invitations this year. So, they will definitely get a chance this time."

My mother put her hands on her hips and pursed her lips. "Every member of every family in the neighborhoods must participate. Because you weren't here last year, they never came to our home." She snorted and walked over to the window," because of you we had to go a whole year, barely able to survive." I smacked my lips. Rolling my shoulders and stretching my arms above my head I scoffed," Because of me? You mean the one that's been working their ass off to provide for the family? Yeah, because of me you were able to afford ingredients to cook an actual real decent family dinner for once this week." My mother whipped her head so fast her tightly hair sprayed, and bobby-pinned high bun came loose a little.

She opened her mouth to say something then quickly closed it shut. With one last evil glare my way, my mother stomped out of my room like a tantrum throwing toddler. I sighed and rolled onto my side. I eyed the midnight black satin dress that hung above my closet door mirror. I had hoped that coming home would be different. Maybe I should have just taken my boss' offer of overtime, instead I chose to take a weeklong vacation till visit family. How splendid. "Girls! It's almost time, start prepping!" my mother shouted down the hall. I could my sisters shuffling bout in their rooms through my walls.

I rolled my eyes and lifted myself off the bed, taking my precious time getting to the closet. I stood in-front of the mirror and stared at my reflection as my mother braided my hair and pulled it up into a tight neat bun. "Please be on your best behavior, Danielle." I rolled my eyes. I could see her eyes glaring at me through the reflection, "it be a shame if you got punishment for breaking the tradition, so be a good girl for mommy." I kept silent. I waited for her to leave the room before releasing a breath of relief. Please do not choose me.

I met with my sisters in the living room. Delilah fiddled about with the neckline of her silky long flowing baby blue dress, " Mother, does this neckline look to too loose?" Dolly twirled about admiring the various jewels that lined her puffy dress sleeves. I took my spot next to Dolly and straightened my back, rolling my shoulders back so I wouldn't slouch. No need to anger mother any more than I have. My father stood in front of us in the dark blue tuxedo he wore at Dolly's high school graduation last year. Mother took her spot beside her husband; she had chosen to wear a dark red lace dress. A single knock came from the other side of the door. I could see Dolly and Delilah trembling with excitement.

My father cleared his throat, he turned the knob and knelt on both knees. He held his hands in a crossed position against his throat and closed his eyes, "We honor thee for blessing us with your presence. May you forever live a long and healthy life." He bowed his head and waited for confirmation. Just like miss Johnson had said, this year, the family had sent their son instead of a selected servant. "We are humbled by your honorable dedication. May you and your family find happiness in the afterlife."

My father lifted himself off the floor and gave one more bow before taking his place again next to mother. "Who are you?" Dolly asked . My mother's head whipped around so fast I was about to get ready to catch it if it fell off. "Dolly! Manners," she said through gritted teeth. The good-looking man before me lifted his hand, " No need for discipline. I am the son of the blessed ones who will give you what you wish for." His bright amber eyes landed on me," if you humbly accept the honor of becoming a guest of house PineHollow."

I didn't even get a chance to answer or even to say one last word to my family. My mother pulled a knife from between her breast and sliced the palm of my hand, she pushed me into the man and held my hand palm facing up in front of him, "We thank you for your gracious honor upon us." Why couldn't you have chosen my sisters? Hell, why not my mom. The man looked down at me, he took the knife from my mother and sliced his palm. With a smile on his stubbled face he said, "May you live a long and healthy life." He pressed his large uncalloused hand against mine and recited words I did not understand. Once done, he gave my parents a quick bow. The more I focused on the man before me, his appearance became a blur. I turned my head to face my family and the room started to spin around me. I drunkenly reached for the man's arm and struggled to stand," W-w-what did you do to me?!"

I awoke to the sound of serving platters being scattered on a table. Forcing my eyes to open, I looked around to find myself in a large dining room. Seated around the large marble table was six chosen guests and the hosts themselves. A tall willowy woman in her mid-50s stood up from her chair at the head of the table and looked at each of our faces. She cleared her throat, " welcome, our honored guests. We thank you for joining us for this year's feast." She motioned for the servants to approach the table. They lifted the lids from each large silver platter and bowed before stepping back in the shadowy corners of the room. "Please enjoy your fill," she opened her arms out wide. I watched as the others jumped from their chairs and tore into the platters like wild animals. I felt sick. How could they eat that!? I watched in disgust as a man tore into the crisp limb of an older woman.

I had to fight the urge to vomit. The woman tilted her head," Dear , are you not hungry?" I watched as the others were digging into various corpses, gnawing on their flesh and bone. The older man sitting next to the woman stood, " You must eat, child. Only strong and healthy are chosen." I flicked my eyes to the man that brought me here. He sat silently beside the woman, his amber eyes burning into mine. "Why?" I choked out , "Why are you doing this? Is this some sick twisted game for you!" The woman slammed her hand against the table and growled, "These bodies are old and weary. Only the young and healthy can ensure our survival." The older man walked behind the guests and watched with pure satisfaction, "The young devour the old, it is tradition. Once you've had your fill, we will choose the one blessed to continue our life."

He stopped behind the chair of the man beside me. The man gnawed at a leg bone like a rabid dog. He looked up at his wife and bowed his head. She motioned for the servants to take the man. "Hey! What the hell?!" He kicked and screamed as they dragged him away. The old man took his place beside his wife. "You see, child. You and your fellow neighbors are so very precious to us." She kissed her husband's cheek and took her turn walking around the table. The man continued where she left off, "we must choose a new host each year. " I watched as the woman came closer. No, please not me. She stopped behind my chair and gave my shoulder a light squeeze, "It's a quick and painless process, you won't feel a thing." With her last words, I felt hands wrap around my arms and yank me from the chair. I was too scared to speak. Flicking my eyes one last time at the man at the head of the table, I silently pleaded for my life.

"No! Stop! Ahhhhhh!" I covered my ears, wishing the screaming would end. Heavy duty chains bounded my feet to a wall. The screams grew more and more louder. The sounds of machinery buzzing, and bones cracking made my stomach churn. Minutes passed and finally the screams had ended. I turned my head to where they had taken the man. Through the glass I could see his skull open and on full display. Lying on the table next to him was the old man. His body had been dismembered. His skull open and emptied. "It's your turn now, sweetie." I looked up to see an older gentleman in blood-stained scrubs smiling down at me. The sound of a steel door opening startled the man."Sir....what brings you here?" I gasped at the sight of the handsome man that dragged me to this agonizing hell. Is he here to save me? His amber eyes took one look at me then focused back on the doctor. " Mother, wishes to speak to her host before the surgery." The doctor bowed and handed the young man the key to my chains," May you live a long and healthy life."

As he dragged me down the corridor, I prayed silently that he was helping me escape. But I was wrong, we exited through a large steel door brought us right in the center of the vast dark woodlands. The woman stood there with that same sickening smile as before, "I needed a little fresh air, the smell of blood gives me a headache. I hope you are well, sweet child ? I'm saddened that you didn't eat. But don't fret, I'll make sure to fill your stomach with many delicious meals once the procedure is finished." The man pushed me towards the woman. I gulped. Her wrinkled hand brushed the loose strands from my face with gentleness, "don't be scared, you have been blessed with a honorable opportunity. Your family will be well taken care of."

"Until the next feast," I spat. She smirked, "Yes. That is how our tradition works." I jerked my head to the side," and what about him? Is he like you too?" She eyed the man behind me and shook her head," No. he was to be my husband's host, but the poor bastard felt pity and decided to raise him as our son." She sighed, running her long nails across my cheek. "Such a beautiful host you are." She took my hand in hers, "May I hug you? It's been so long since I've felt the softness of a younger body." I slowly nodded. She wrapped her arms around me and laid her head on my shoulder, " I'm honored by your sacrifice—" Crunch! The old woman jerked away; she pressed her trembling hand against the side of her neck. "W-what did you do!?" I took a step forward and reached out to touch her face.

My sharp tipped claws dig into her skin as I glided them along her cheek. "Run," I whispered softly. The woman's eyes widened in shock, "What...what for?" I took another step forward and licked my bottom lip," I love a good chase. " She shakily backed away, "Wh-h-hat, are you?" I could feel my body stretching and twisting. The hard twisted horns pierced through my skull and curled around my ears; the smell of her fear excited me. I tried to speak, but only a grotesque growl left my throat. "I am the daughter of the blessed ones; I am honored to be a guest of PineHollow". "No! Wait" Crunch! The man knelt before me and crossed his hands in front of his throat with his eyes closed," I bless thee for honoring me with your presence. May you live a long and healthy life, your majesty."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5K 335 22
Horror // Paranormal // Thriller // Scifi // Short stories ~ A short story collection consisting of either tales inspired by dreams & nightmares, or...
14.5K 331 30
just be ready for those nightmares...
369K 9.4K 36
This is a Collection of Real Life Horror stories. These stories are told by various different people who personally experienced paranormal events.
199 6 14
A compilation of haunting short stories meant to send shivers down your spine. A mix of ghosts, vampires, killers, and the unknown to get your heart...