The game of law

By JahoonPark

In the ideal world there aren't any crimes, unfortunately that isn't the case in the real world. Crimes are e... More

Note and trigger warning
Chapter 1. Transfer
Chapter 2. Investigate
Chapter 4. On the snake's tail
Chapter 5. Cat and mouse
Chapter 6. Capture

Chapter 3. Who is the real one?

19 1 0
By JahoonPark

Man: What the hell are you talking about?! I'm Kim Woohyuk! I'm her boyfriend and the one who is living here!

Jahoon & Nana: Wait what?!

Nana: I'm sorry sir but do you have any identification on you? Anything to confirm your identity? And to answer your question, we are detectives from SPD on the job right now.

The guy who was supposed to be Woohyuk looked at both of us with suspicion but did as we asked. Nana took the ID and looked at it for a moment before looking at me and nodded.

Nana: It's a real one.

Woohyuk: Of course, it is a real one! What are you guys talking about?!

Jahoon: I think you should sit down. Please come with me. Nana, will you please continue the investigation while I have a chat with him?

Nana nodded and began investigating. Woohyuk and I walked into the bedroom beside and I made him sit down on the bed as I pulled a chair to sit in front of him.

Woohyuk: What the hell is this about?! What were you talking about and who would kill my girlfriend like that?!

Jahoon: That is what we are here to find out. An important question: Do perhaps have an identical brother?

Woohyuk: No, I don't or at least of what I know.

Jahoon: What about any tattoos? Can I see them?

Woohyuk: I have a few.

Woohyuk stood up and took his shirt off. I observed each of his tattoos and noticed one that was the exact same one as the one we found on the dead body behind Sweet Chick

Jahoon: The reason is that we found a dead body that matches you in terms of height and everything including the tattoo you have on the left side of your stomach. Have you lost your wallet before? Or do you know any possible way that it could happen?

Woohyuk: I don't remember losing my wallet but... Wait! One of my best friends since birth got the same tattoo as me. He is kind of the same height and builds as me. His name is Kim Joomin.

Jahoon: Do you know where I can find him?

Woohyuk: I'm not sure since I suddenly lost touch with him a few years ago. The last thing I heard about him was that he moved to Gangnam and got a job there as a bartender but where exactly, I don't know. I'm sorry that I can't help much more than that.

Jahoon: No need to worry, you have pretty much been a great help. Is there anyone that you can be staying with for the time being? As you may know, the apartment is going to be sealed off.

Woohyuk: My parents don't live that far from here, so they will probably allow me to stay with them for some time until I can find a new place to stay.

Jahoon: Alright. I will give you some time to pack the stuff that you need. When you the officer here will drive to the location.

Woohyuk began packing his stuff as I gave the order to the officer standing guard watching. I walked back inside to the living room to see the rest of the team already arrived.

Nana: How did the talk with Woohyuk go? Any clues? Do you think he could be the killer?

Jahoon: I don't think he is the one we are looking for. But he did give us a clue about who our victim at Sweet Chick is. His best friend Kim Joomin.

Hyejoo: That is actually good that you said that because I tried to run the DNA of the body in the system and it came up as the Kim Joomin guy. I made Hyewon look him up and it seemed like.....

Hyejoo glanced over to the room where Woohyuk was and gestured for all of us to move closer to her…

Hyejoo: It seems like Ji Mina and Kim Joomin had an affair behind Woohyuk's back. Hyewon found messages between Mina and Joomin where they had bragged about how oblivious Woohyuk was. Maybe Woohyuk found out about their affairs and ended the both of them due to jealousy.

Nana: That could possibly be the case. As of now, he is our main suspect but we have to keep our minds open in terms of any other suspect. I will order a unit to stay in front of his housing and keep an eye open. Let's quickly solve this mystery before any other corpses show up.

We all nodded and went to do our jobs. Hyejoo and Jinny packed the body up and into the car as they drove off to the headquarters. Nana and Minju took another car and drove off to investigate the clues that Hyewon had found. Yeonhee and I were charged with sealing off the crime scene as well as interrogating the people in the residence. The whole time we were closing off the scene, both of us were quiet. I caught her glancing at me from time to time as if she was too scared to talk to me.

Jahoon: Don't worry. I don't bite. I know that you have something on your mind so just ask away.

Yeonhee: I'm what made sorry for asking you but what made you move from Busan to Seoul? I heard that you were doing so well for yourself over there, so much that there was no need for you to move.

Jahoon: Orders from the above. Seems like you guys needed some help and that one had to be me.

I turned my back to her and looked out the window. It was true to some extent but not fully, and it's not something that she would need to know about.

Jahoon: Alright we are done. Let's go and talk with the residents.

First up was the neighbour. If anyone would know what was going on then it would be them, I knocked on the door and an elderly lady opened it.

Yeonhee: Hello, we are from the Seoul Police Department SPD and we would like to ask you some questions about your neighbour if that is fine with you?

Old lady: Sure my my darling. Come inside.

The old lady gestured for us to come inside and sit on her sofa.

Old lady: Just wait here for a moment while I go and get you some coffee and snacks.

Before either Yeonhee or I could open our mouths, the old lady was already on her way to the kitchen. I looked at Yeonhee and she just shrugged. A few minutes later the old lady returned and sat on a recliner in front of us.

Old lady: I'm so glad that you guys are finally here. I have been contacting the police many times with complaints about those people and they always say that they would send officers but they never did!

Yeonhee: How long ago was the first time that you called with the complaint?

Old lady: It has been such a long time that I can’t even remember exactly! It has been at least more than a year and no one has come to do anything about it.

Jahoon: On behalf of the police force here, I am personally telling you sorry for us not coming sooner than this.

Old lady: No worries my dear. I know and can see that you two don’t have anything to do with it.

Yeonhee: Could you perhaps tell us what the complaints have been about? So that we can see if we can do something about it right now?

Old lady: Oh dear, I don’t even know where to start! The most irritating one has been all of the extremely loud noises that they have been making. All day and night. I haven’t been able to sleep comfortably because of it. Also, I have seen a lot of sketchy and weird people coming in and out of their apartment.

Jahoon: Could you elaborate on that? How sketchy and weird did they look? Do you remember how they behaved every time they came? Were there any of them that came more than once?

Old lady: So many questions at once my dear but it’s fine when you are so sweet like candy. There are a few people who I have only seen once but they are a group of about five to six people who visit them very often. They don't really look normal, more like gangsters. They all have big builds as well as scars on their faces. I remember their faces to the smallest detail, so if you set me up with a painter you will be able to get some paintings of them but I know that is not the only reason you are here. You are here for something else than my complaints.

Yeonhee and I looked at each other as the old lady looked at us with a raised eyebrow. Nothing really past old ladies, huh?

Yeonhee: Actually the reason we are here is about your neighbours Kim Woohyuk and Ji Mina. Ji Mina has been found murdered in the apartment.

Old lady: Oh no, really? Even though I really don't like her that much, it is still awful to think that something like that would happen to her. No one really deserves that. I guess you are here to listen if I have any suspicion on who could have done it.

Jahoon: That is right and you have helped us a lot. Have you seen this man before? He is the boyfriend of Ji Mina, your neighbour.

I gave her a picture of Woohyuk to look at but she just looked at it with extreme confusion.

Old lady: I have seen him since he lives in the apartment next door but he is not her boyfriend. That is not what it looks like. I have seen her act all flirty and clingy to another boy.

Yeonhee: Perhaps you are thinking about this guy?

Yeonhee gave her a picture, making her eyes go wide, and pointed at the picture.

Old lady: Yes, that is the guy! Every time her other roommate goes he will always come over. They are always on each other which makes it disgusting to look at.

Jahoon: Thank you very much for the help today. I will set you up with a sketcher so expect a police officer visiting you soon for it.

Yeonhee and I bowed to the old lady and got back to the car with a sigh.

Jahoon: Why has this case suddenly become so much more complicated than it was before? Why can this case just be easy?!

Yeonhee: I feel so sorry for you. This is your first case here and you get one of our hardest, more likely our hardest.

Jahoon: It's fine. I will work this out, nothing is hard for me. We will catch the culprit sooner or later. Let's get back to the headquarters and find a sketcher. Maybe the other girls are back and got some clues to solve this case

Yeonhee nodded in agreement. I started the car and drove back to the HQ. I have a bad feeling about this case but hopefully, it doesn't have anything to do with King Cobra. If it does then all of this has become 1000x times more complicated. We got back to the HQ and were about to enter our office where it seemed like the other girls were when we were stopped by a male police officer.

Police officer: Mr Kim Woohyuk is gone!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 17.3K 3
*Wattys 2018 Winner / Hidden Gems* CREATE YOUR OWN MR. RIGHT Weeks before Valentine's, seventeen-year-old Kate Lapuz goes through her first ever br...
399K 6.4K 79
A text story set place in the golden trio era! You are the it girl of Slytherin, the glue holding your deranged friend group together, the girl no...
581K 21.1K 96
The story is about the little girl who has 7 older brothers, honestly, 7 overprotective brothers!! It's a series by the way!!! πŸ˜‚πŸ’œ my first fanfic...