Drowning (Kaz Brekker)

By officialsimpcentral

They were twisted and broken. They were haunted and hollow. And they were bloody, oh so bloody. But maybe, ju... More

ACT ONE
i - The Nameless Girl
ii - Asra
iii - Old Enemies
iv - Scars
v - Parley
vi - Four Million Kruge
viii - Eye For An Eye
ix - Seasick
x - Wanden Olstrum end Kendesorum
xi - Isen ne Bejstrum
xii - A Proper Thief
xiii - Broken and Bound
xiv - Snapped
xv - Flirt
xvi - Doomed
xvii - Drowned
xviii - Gone
ACT TWO
i - Awful Company
ii - Taunting Ghosts
iii - Good To Be Back
iv - Black Veil
v - "Friendships"
vi - When the Devil Comes Knocking
vii - Family Reunion
viii - A Sister
ix - Family Fueds

vii - The Fjerdan and The Merchling

398 9 4
By officialsimpcentral

KAZ WAS WRONG. Oh, that felt nice. Asra did know Matthias Helvar. Not personally, not closely, she barely recognised his face till Kaz said his name. But all the same, it wasn't the first time Asra had laid eyes on the massive Fjerdan.

Where else but Ketterdam could one hop on a rowboat, head out the most secure building in the country, and watch men and beats alike fight to the death? Hellshow was one of Asra's favourite pass times. Hellgate was somewhere she knew well. And Nina managed to mention her Fjerdan in nearly every conversation she had.

The six of them chatted idly while Matthias woke up. He was tied to a chair in the centre of the room. Nina was sat by herself watching him intently. Jesper and Wylan sat around a table, Wylan's head buried in his sketches. Asra sat on the edge of a table, arms folded, watching every one. Kaz sat in the chair beside her. Inej stood quietly on his other side.

When Matthias woke up, Kaz explained. Jurda parem. Asra had heard the whispers, they all had, except Wylan. The drug that could supposedly enhance a Grisha beyond comprehension. Its creator, Bo Yul-Bayur, was locked up in the Ice Court, the most secure building in the world, Fjerda. Jan Van Eck was going to pay them four million kruge each to get him out and safely back to Kerch.

When he was done, the Fjerdan spoke. "No."

"Believe me when I say this, Helvar, I know getting knocked out and waking up in strange surroundings isn't the friendliest way to start a partnership but you didn't exactly give us many options, so try to open your mind to the possibilities."

"You could have come to me on your knees and my answer would he the same." The Fjerdan said in accented Kerch.

Asra stifled a laugh with the back of her hand as some... interesting images sprung to her mind. She decided to save them for later.

Kaz turned his glare back to Matthias. "You do understand I can have you back at Hellgate in a matter of hours? Once poor Muzzen is in the infirmary the switch will be easy."

"Do it." The Fjerdan said. "I can't wait to tell the warden your ridiculous plans."

"What makes you think you'll be going back with a tongue?"

"Kaz," Nina said.

"Do what you want." Matthias said with that patriotic pride only Fjerdans seemed to muster. Why they were so proud of miles and miles of barren ice and snow, Asra would never know.

"I told you." Nina said to Kaz. She sounded tired.

"Don't pretend to know me, witch." Matthias snapped, eyes still on Kaz. He wouldn't look at Nina, Asra noted.

Jesper unfolded his long limbs. "Without him, there's no job. We can't break into the Ice Court blind."

"You can't break into the Ice Court at all." Matthias said.

Asra laughed to herself. Matthias was looking at her like he did beasts he was about to fight. Good, let him try. He wouldn't find her so yielding.

"Come now, Helvar." Kaz crooned. "Surely there's something you want. The cause is rightous enough for a zealot like you. Fjerda might think they've caught a dragon by the tail, but they won't be able to hold on. Once Bo Yul-Bayur replicates his process, jurda parem will enter the market and it's only a matter of time before others learn to manufacture it too."

"It will never happen." The Fjerdan said. "Yul-Bayur will stand trial and if he is found guilty he will be put to death."

"Guilty of what?" Nina asked softly.

"Crimes against the people."

"Which people?" The Heartrender pushed.

"Natural people." The drüskelle replied. "People who live in harmony with the laws of this world instead of twisting them for their own gain."

The witch and the witch-hunter. This would be amusing. Or exhausting. Probably exhausting. As was human nature.

"You're being short-sighted about this Helvar." Kaz said. "Another team could get to Yul-Bayur first, the Shu, maybe the Ravkans, all with their own agenda. Border disputes and old rivalries don't matter to the Kerch. All the the Merchant Council care about it trade, and they want to make sure jurda parem remains a rumour and nothing more."

"So leading criminals into the heart of Fjerda to steal a valued prisoner is a patriotic act?"

"I don't suppose the promise of four million kruge will sway you either?"

Matthias spat. "You can keep your money. Choke on it."

"Fjerdans." Asra muttered, examining her nails. She was glad they didn't like women to hold guns, her business with the country had always limited. Until now, of course.

Matthias scowled. Then a thought seem to hit him. He leaned back in his chair. "I'll make a deal with you."

"I'm listening." Kaz said.

"I won't go with you, but I'll give you the plans for the layout of the Ice Court. That should at least get you past the first checkpoint."

"And what will this valuble information cost me?"

"I don't want your money. I'll give you the plans for nothing." He said. "If you let me kill Nina Zenik."

Asra threw her head back and groaned. "Can we just torture him, make him tell us? It'll save us all the headache."

She was ignored.

"I can give you something better." Kaz said.

"There's nothing else I want."

"I can make you a drüskelle again."

The Fjerdan didn't falter. "Are you a magician then? A wej spirit who grants wishes? I'm superstitious, not stupid."

"There's a difference?" Asra asked. Again she was ignored.

"Here." Kaz said, handing Inej a paper. She walked silently to stand before Matthias and held it up for him to read. He read it with growing eagerness.

"What new evidence?"

Kaz leaned back in his seat. "It seems Nina Zenik has recanted her statments. She will face charges for perjury."

Finally, Matthias faced Nina. It was like watching a damn breaking. "Perjury? How long will you serve for that, Zenik?"

"Two months." She said quietly.

"Two months." The Fjerdan repeated, then laughed. He laughed long and loud and hard enough to make him shake and twitch in his bindings.

"How crazy is he?" Jesper asked.

Kaz shrugged. "He's not what I'd call reliable, but he's all we've got."

"He can't be the only disgraced drüskelle in Ketterdam." Asra said. Most exhausting, maybe.

Matthias had quieted. He turned to Kaz. "She can't be trusted, you know."

"And you can?" Asra said.

The Fjerdans scowled. "Whatever secrets you hope to gain from Bo Yul-Bayur, she'll turn them over to Ravka."

"Let me worry about that, Helvar." Kaz said. "You do your part and the secrets of Yul-Bayur and jurda parem will be the hands of people best equipped to keep them rumours."

Matthias thought about it. "What if Bo Yul-Bayur is dead?"

"Van Eck insists he isn't." Kaz shrugged.

"But what if he is, Brekker?"

"You still get your pardon."

Matthias's face was grim. "I'll do it."

Kaz sent Nina a wink. Matthias looked ready to kill them both.

Inej handed Kaz the pardon. He tucked it into his coat. "We're going to untie you. I hope prison hasn't robbed you of all your manners or good sense."

Matthias nodded. Inej got to work on the ropes.

"I believe you know Nina." Kaz said. "The lovely girl freeing you is Inej, our thief of secrets and best in the trade. Jesper Fahey is our sharpshooter, Zemeni-born but try not to hold it against him. This ray of sunshine is Asra Behandelar, who will take out your tongue if you keep running your mouth. And this is Wylan, best demolition expert in the Barrel."

"Raske is better." Inej put in.

Wylan lifted his head from his drawings, ruddy gold curls falling into his eyes. "He's not better. He's reckless."

"He knows his trade."

"So do I."

"Barely." Jesper said.

"Wylan is new to the scene." Kaz addmitted.

"Of course he is. He looks about twelve." Matthias said.

"I'm sixteen." Wylan said indignantly.

"Get some trauma under your belt, it put years on you." Asra suggested.

"We should be using Raske." Jesper said. "He's good under pressure."

"I don't like it." Inej nodded.

"I didn't ask." Kaz said. "Besides, Wylan isn't just good with the flint and fuss. He's our insurance."

"Against what?" Nina asked.

"Meet Wylan Van Eck, Jan Van Eck's son and our guarantee on thirty million kruge."

Wylan went red.

Asra laughed. Jesper joined her.

"Of course you're a Councilman's kid. That explains everything."

Nina looked irritated, the Fjerdan confused. Inej was unfazed. And Kaz was downright smug.

"You knew?" Wylan asked miserably.

"Why do you think I've been keeping you around?"

"I'm good at demo?" He said pitifully.

"You're passable at demo. You're excellent at hostage."

"It doesn't matter." Jesper said. "We should still take Raske and leave this baby merch on lockdown in Ketterdam."

"I don't trust Raske." Kaz said.

"And you trust Wylan Van Eck?"

"Wylan doesn't know enough people to cause enough trouble."

"Do I get a say in this? I'm sitting right here." Wylan said.

Kaz raised a brow at the merchling. Asra could see a resemblance to his father, now Kaz said it. Just his hair was different, ruddy gold curls in place of slick blonde.

"Ever have you pocket picked, Wylan?" Kaz asked.

"I... not that I know of." Wylan said.

"Been mugged in an alley?"

"No."

"Hung over the side of a bridge with your head in the canal?"

"No. But -"

"Ever been beaten till you can't walk?"

"No."

"Why do you think that is?" Kaz's head cocked to the side.

"I -"

"It's been three months since you left your daddy's mansion on the Gledstraat. Why do you suppose your sojourn to the Barrel has been so blessed?"

The kid obviously hadn't thought of it. "Lucky, I guess?"

Jesper snorted. "Kaz is you luck, merchling. He's had you under Dregs' protection. Though you're so useless up till this minute none of us could figure out why."

"It was perplexing." Nina said.

"Kaz always has his reasons." Inej said.

"Kaz Brekker doesn't need a reason." Asra grinned.

"Why did you move out of your father's house?" Jesper asked.

"It was time." Wylan said tightly.

Jesper wasn't swayed. "Idealist? Romantic? Revolutionary?"

"Idiot?" Nina added. "No one chooses to live in the Barrel if he has other options."

"I did." Asra shrugged.

"You're crazy. You don't count." Jesper waved her off.

"I'm not useless." Wylan said.

"Raske is the better demo man," Inej said.

"I've been to the Ice Court. With my father. We went to an embassy dinner. I can help with the plans." Wylan blurted.

"See that? Hidden depths." Kaz said. "And I don't want our only leverage against Van Eck cooling his heels in Ketterdam while we head north. Wylan goes with us. He's good enough at demo, and he's got a fine hand at sketching thanks to all those pricy tutors."

Wylan went redder.

Jesper shook his head. "You play piano too?"

"Flute." He muttered.

"Perfect."

"And since Wylan's seen the Ice Court with his very own eyes he can help keep you honest Helvar." Kaz said.

Matthias' scowl deepened. Wylan looked sick.

"Don't worry." Nina said. "The glower isn't leathal."

Kaz tapped his cane against the floor. "Take out your pen and proper paper, Wylan. Let's put Helvar to work."

It visibly pained him, but Matthias spoke. He gave up his country's secrets. The six of them prodded him with questions when needed, and he answered them true enough. Wylan scrawled it all down on a large sheet of paper. Nina brought up Hringkälla, the Day of Listening, the oncoming celebration when the next generation of drüskelle would hear Djel and be initiated. It was two weeks away, and the Ice Court would be flooded with guests from all over the world when the night came about.

At the end of it all, Kaz's head cocked to the side, eyes far off and focused at once.

"Scheming face." Jesper whispered to Inej.

She nodded. "Definitely."

"Is the White Rose sending a delegation?" Kaz asked Nina.

She shook her head. "I didn't hear anything about it." The Heartrender had set up in the White Rose, a pleasure house on West Stave. Before Kaz, she'd made her living using her Heartrender abilities, slowing heartbeats for momentary calm that would fade before they'd even left the building. But she took coin before service, so what did it matter?

"Even if we go straight to Djerholm, we'll need most the week to travel. There isn't time to secure documents or create cover that will bear up against scrutiny." Inej said.

"We're not going in through the embassy." Kaz said. "Always hit where the mark isn't looking." 

"Who's Mark?" Wylan asked.

Jesper burst out laughing. "Oh Saints, you are something. The mark, the pigeon, the cosy, the floor you're looking to fleece."

Wylan straightened. "I may not have had your... education, but I'm sure I know plenty of words you don't."

"Also the proper way to fold a napkin and dance a minuite. Marketable skills, merchling. Marketable skills." Jesper said.

"No one dances the minute anymore." Wylan muttered.

Kaz leaned back in his chair, stretching his bag leg out. "What's the best way to steal a man's wallet?" He asked.

"Knife to the throat?"

"Gun to the back?"

"Poison in the cup?"

"You're all horrible."

Kaz rolled his eyes. "The best way to steal a man's wallet is to tell him you're going to steal his watch. You take his attention and direct it where you want it to go. Hringkälla is going to do that job for us. The Ice Court will have to divert resources to monitoring guests and protecting the royal family. They can't be looking everywhere at once. It's the perfect opportunity to spring Bo Yul-Bayur. Remember what I told you at Hellgate, Nina?"

"It's hard to keep track of all your wisdom." Nina grumbled.

"At prison, they don't care who's coming in, just anyone trying to get out. At the embassy they won't care who's going out, they'll just be focused on who's trying to get in. We enter through the prison, leave through the embassy. Helvar, is the Elderclock functional?"

Matthias nodded. "It chimes every quarter hour. It's also how the alarm clocks are sounded."

"It's accurate?" Kaz asked.

"Of course." The Fjerdan said.

"Quality Fjerdan engineering." Nina muttered.

Kaz ignored her. "Then we use the Elderclock to coordinate our movements."

"Will we enter disguised as gaurds?" Wylan asked.

"Only Nina and Matthias speak Fjerdan." Jesper said, disdain obvious.

"I speak Fjerdan." Wylan said.

"Schoolroom Fjerdan."

"I speak Fjerdan." Asra added. "For the record."

"Since when?" Jesper asked.

"Since... always?"

"We enter as we are. As criminals." Kaz said. "The prison is our front door."

"I don't like where you're going with this." Asra said. "Are you suggesting we deliberately get arrested?"

"They'll be counting heads at the prison gate, looking at names and crimes, not checking passports or examining embassy seals." Kaz said.

"Because no one wants to go to prison." Jesper said.

Nina rubbed her arms. "I don't want to be locked up in Fjerdan cell."

"I don't want to be locked up in any cell." Asra said.

Kaz simply flicked his sleeve. A set of lockpicks appeared between his fingers and danced along his knuckles before dissappearing back to wherever they've come from.

"I think the Ice Court can best magic tricks, Kaz." Asra said, voice tight. Her eyes flicked to the bar. She made herself look back at Kaz.

"Have some faith in me, Asra dear. I'll take care of the cells." He said.

"Hit where the mark isn't looking." Inej mused.

"That's right." Kaz said. "And the Ice Court is like any other mark, one big white pigeon ready for plucking."

"Will Yul-Bayur come willingly?" Inej asked.

"Van Eck said the Council gave Yul-Bayur a code word when they first tried to get him out of Shu Han so he'd know who to trust. Sesh-uyeh. It will tell him we've been sent by Kerch."

Wylan tried it on his clumsy Kerch tongue. "What does it mean?"

"Heartsick." Asra said.

"Shu too?"

"I speak seven languages Jesper."

"This can be done." Kaz said. "And we're the ones to do it. "

Matthias folded his arms. "You have no idea what you're up against."

"But you do, Helvar." Kaz said. "I want you working on the plan of the Ice Court every minute until we sail. No detail is too small or inconsequential. I'll be checking on you regularly."

Inej ran a finger over Wylan's sketch. "It really does look like the rings of a tree."

"No." Kaz said. "It looks like a target."
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Author's note:

Pretty boring chapter but the next ones fun
Kaz POV and injured Asra incoming >:)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.2K 90 25
I have seen the Netflix series of SaB and have only just started reading the book so this might not be perfect. Let me know if there is anything I sh...
149K 3K 29
Please don't judge this too harshly I wrote most of this when I was 15. Based off of the Duology 'Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo'. A Kanej story. So...
435 27 12
I'm rewriting my first ever fanfiction. and I still have the old book in my drafts. and I don't know why i discontinued it. so I'm rewriting it for y...
2K 188 9
Maud had a lot to achieve and a lot of people to disappoint. She was working hard as Medical student, until she just couldn't bear it anymore, so she...