Henry Neville- The Geist Ther...

By JDCarvell

Miss Polly Alexander, an educated respectable clerk at the Chelsea postal office, has just buried her father... More

1. Polly: Chapter One
2. Polly: Chapter Two
3. Polly: Chapter Three
4. Polly: Chapter Four
5. Polly: Chapter Five
6. Polly: Chapter Six
7. Interlude One
8. The Thames Spectre: Chapter One
9. The Thames Spectre: Chapter Two
10. The Thames Spectre: Chapter Three
11. The Thames Spectre: Chapter Four
12. The Thames Spectre: Chapter Five
13. The Thames Spectre: Chapter Six
14. Interlude Two
16. The Stalking of Estella: Chapter Two
17. The Stalking of Estella: Chapter Three
18. The Stalking of Estella: Chapter Four
19. The Stalking of Estella: Chapter Five
20. The Stalking of Estella: Chapter Six

15. The Stalking of Estella: Chapter One

8 2 0
By JDCarvell

No Entry

The trip to Ealing via carriage was shorter than expected, it was just after ten when they had arrived near Walpole Park to the residency of the Bonham's.

Having walked everywhere before that fateful day in the factory, Polly was still not fully accustomed to Henry's excessive uses for a carriage and the discomfort of riding in one in a long dress. Henry had offered to buy her a steed of her own but the cashflow was limited with the construction of a lab in Fulham well under way and neither of them had the heart to tell the Allan's just exactly what their bill came to. Fortunately Polly promptly declined the offer of a horse without hesitation.

"We have a number of cases we have not looked into yet and one falls into your lap and we're straight over here?" Polly asked for clarification.

"This has to be one of the strangest readings I have come across and we are immediately attacked on the doorstep? That is no coincidence, I fear a spirit wanted us to do this case but another may want us to stay clear of it. That's precisely the little red flags I chase after. Besides we prioritised Elizabeth at your choosing, the other 'bump in the night' cases can wait a few more days."

"It's the ones that warned us that I'm concerned about," replied Polly dryly.

"It's those ones that let me enjoy what I do. If there's an underground operation happening with members of the spirit realm, I want in on it. If the master is linked to Estella's ghost then this is exactly where we need to be right now."

Polly sighed heavily, "Fine, but you don't have to say it with that stupid grin of yours," she mocked playfully.

"I'm sorry," Henry laughed. "I get excited with every new discovery."

"Meet a woman for goodness sake," Polly joked.

Henry sniggered to that but did not respond. They passed a few more houses until he ushered the driver to stop and announced they were at the home of the Bonham's. They tipped the driver and stepped out of the carriage and stood outside large iron gates.

Henry pushed the gate open with a loud screech and gestured for Polly to go, "Ladies first," he grinned.

Polly rolled her eyes and muttered under her breath, "Goodness sake." She repeated before walking slowly up the pathway, "Garden could do with some maintenance," she remarked as she reached the worn stone patio leading to the front door.

Henry knelt down and scooped a cup of soil into a jar at his belt, "This needs investigating."

"What are you doing?" A perplexed Polly asked.

"Look at the plants, the grass. Even the weeds. Nothing is growing naturally, they all sort of look dead," Henry pointed to the dull pale green withered leaves of the plants, they were alive but far from flourishing. They showed clear signs of nutrient deficiency, "There was more life in old Thomas I'd say."

"You're a botanist as well now? Let's just meet Miss Estella already. This place is already giving me the creeps," Polly shuddered then wrapped on the door three times. Henry followed closely behind then stepped in front as the door slowly creeked open.

The balding head of a short middle-aged man appeared in the doorway. His appearance suggested a soul exhausted of options. His loose fitting suit was worn and torn in places with several unrecognisable stains. His eyes were dreary and dark. A man close to giving up on everything, "Yes," he croaked.

"Good morning, Mr Bonham. My name is-" Henry started to say before the door was abruptly closed on him.

"Have you got the right place?" Polly asked with uncertainty.

Henry grinned broadly, "Oh yes, this is definitely the correct address."

Polly sighed, "Well, try again."

Henry wrapped on the door this time, and waited patiently for it to open again.

"What do you want?" Mr Bonham asked aggressively.

"Sir, we are here to see Estella, your daughter," Henry replied.

"She is not taking visitors at this time. Good day to you," Mr Bonham tried to close the door again but Henry stuck a firm foot out preventing him from doing so.

"We are here to help. We received your request to help her with her spirits."

"I made no such request. Remove your foot this instance," Mr Bonham was getting very annoyed with him.

"Is your daughter not being possessed by some kind of ghost?" Henry removed his foot as he said this and watched the frozen reaction on the older man's face. He knew it was true.

"I don't know what you're talking about!" He said angrily. "Estella is fine, we did not ask for your services, whoever you may be!"

Henry pulled out one of his business cards and was able to slip it into Mr Bonham's jacket pocket before the door slammed firmly shut, "Find me when your options run out!" He shouted through the door.

"What now?" Polly asked.

"Let's go round the back?" Henry said with hope.

"Why?" Was Polly's response.

"We've come all this way, I know we are at the right place," Henry found the side gate and pushed it open.

A woman's voice could be heard softly singing from the rear garden once they rounded a corner. She did not see them and was lost amongst her own thoughts while knitting.

"Mrs Bonham?" Henry said suddenly making the poor woman jump.

"Who are you?" The woman replied while holding a hand to her chest in order to help the sudden change in her breathing. Henry guessed she was roughly early forties. Her hair, already grey from years of stress, was pulled back in a bun revealing bruising across her forehead. There was a hairline crack in the left lens of her glasses.

"Mrs Bonham, my name is Dr Henry Neville, and this is my assistant, Miss Polly Alexander. We are ghost hunters of a sort and have come to see Miss Estella."

The woman stood up from her chair, "The lady of the house is not at home. I am Mrs Bertrix Alvers, the nanny. You may call me Bonnie, like the children do."

"Mrs Alvers, I apologise," replied Henry sincerely.

"Bonnie," Mrs Alvers insisted.

"Ok, Bonnie. Can we talk about Miss Estella?"

Bonnie looked about the garden nervously, a hint of fear spread across her face when she glanced up at one of the first floor windows. She marched towards Henry and Polly and ushered them back through the gate. "Not now, not here," she said quickly.

"What is the matter?" Polly asked as she felt Bonnie's hand shoving her in the back, pushing them out.

"We cannot talk here. You'll find me in The Wheelers in Acton tomorrow night," panic evident in Bonnie's voice.

"Why can't we talk now?" Polly demanded passively.

It was not Bonnie that answered the question but a terrible noise from inside the home. A loud screeching shriek shook the upper windows startling the three beside the house.

"What on earth was that?" Polly gasped.

"He does not like you being here, go now!" Bonnie pushed them further down the drive.

Henry stopped her, "Listen Bonnie. We will go, are you safe here?"

"I'll be fine, you need to leave."

"We will meet you tomorrow. Tell us everything," Henry ushered Polly to leave. "Good day, ma'am."

"What now?" Polly asked as they got back to the road.

"We will find a way to help, but I don't think staying here will do anyone any good at this present time. We've got more than twenty four hours to clean up other cases the way I see things."

"I feel we should stay and help that poor woman," Polly said.

Henry smiled. "We'll be back. Wait here while I go track another hackney down."

"There was a case involving the Brixton twins that looked interesting," Polly suggested.

"Great, pin that one to the wall when we get back," Henry said excitedly then jumped into a sprint down the road in search of a carriage.

After successfully hailing down a second carriage to take them back to Fulham Henry began planning ways he could help the Bonham's. Polly begrudged travelling by taxi once more and so soon after the previous. She wanted to complain but as Henry appeared to be in deep thought she left him to it and looked absently out of the window for the entirety of the journey.

Fortunately the ride home felt shorter than their original ride to Ealing. Polly wished she could be relieved with the sight of Henry's home but when the image of her least favourite officer came into view her heart sank once more.

Sergeant Cane awaited them at the front door. He appeared eager to meet them as anticipation grew on his face at the first glance of the carriage. His eyes lit up upon realising it was indeed the couple he sought.

"Good morning, Sergeant. We were not expecting your call so soon. How are you feeling?" Henry said as he stepped out of the carriage.

"Dr Neville," Cane greeted. "I feel fine but it appears we were destined to meet yesterday. I have rather a strange man down the station that you may be interested in. Can you come down to see him?"

"What interest will there be in a man in custody to me?"

"Like many before him he claims he was made to do it by the devil; he said it with such conviction that my scepticism was then shaken now that I've met you and your assistant." Cane turned to Polly, "I'm sorry, ma'am for my ill manners recently."

"Apology accepted," Polly nodded with a feign smile.

"So you think this man may actually be possessed by a demon?" Henry asked.

"I believe this man believes himself to be under some kind of possession," replied Cane.

"What is his crime, Sergeant?"

"Attempted murder, Doctor. Caught in the act. Do you want to come down to the station?"

"Give us just a moment and we will be on our way," said Henry as he walked into the house.

"Right'o, Doctor. Ma'am," Cane nodded to them both.

Once inside, Polly closed the door on Cane and immediately confronted Henry, "May I suggest we sit this one out?"

"Why's that?" Henry asked with interest.

"I've come to terms with the ghosts we chase but now we are profiling actual living murderers?"

"Attempted," Henry added. "Besides, we don't know the circumstances. With the activity surrounding the recent spectre I believe any claim could be plausible now."

"Yes, but now demons and the devil himself?" Polly was aghast.

"Exaggerated nonsense. This is nothing more than a mischievous spirit. We'll be back in time for supper."

"Ok, but we will be invoicing Cane for the time.

"Nothing less," Henry laughed and reopened the door. "Lead the way, Sergeant. Let's see your client."

***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7K 356 47
"What are you doing babe," Jim's disembodied voice asked her. "I want to talk to you." "You are," his voice said, almost laughing at her. "Yes, but I...
215 11 37
In 1939, young journalist Will Drachman is murdered during a visit to Dr. Norman Baker's alleged Cancer Curing Hospital. To move on, Will needs his b...
106K 4.6K 53
Agnes Berkshire was born with life handed to her in a silver platter, yet she still chose to run away. Winding up in the city of London, working at...
40 5 23
Langdon Wilkes is a reluctant - and somewhat bumbling - hunter. But because his father is the headmaster of the Institute of Paranormal Study and Pre...