In the Dark of Knight

נכתב על ידי jawncuffies

"What is the purpose of Marriage if not for love?" Annmarie couldn't answer her own question as her servants... עוד

UPGRADES PPL!!!!
1.
3
4
5

2

2K 107 6
נכתב על ידי jawncuffies

It wasn't long before I was sat in a carriage and the view of my home faded from my view. I didn't have many happy memories there but I still cherished the few I did.

I believe the only thing I'll truly miss is our old barn cat. She truly wasn't the best at her job but the whole castle still adored her the same. We tease her and call her "Knightly" for her bravery but it's clear her only battle is staying awake more than a few hours.

The memory made my chest lighten but not enough as the carriage pulled onto the busy common streets. The celebration was in full effect as people rushed out their businesses and homes to cheer and dance as we passed. An elbow against my ribs made me straighten my back and force a smile. I waved at the townsfolk who threw rice and cheered in the streets as they followed behind.

I couldn't hold any anger towards them. They were victims of my Father in the same way I was. They've lost more than I and it would only be selfish to hate them. In fact, I truly believe I would be the loudest in the crowd if I was told the king's plague will end in only a few hours.

It wasn't long before the church came into view and the crowd had followed us all the way there. My hands shook in my lap as the carriage came to its eventual stop. Hastily, my father swung open the door, ignoring the guards who tried to aid him out. Instead, he pointed to me, "Get her quickly! We must not be late." He snapped and the guards didn't hesitate to grab my arms, almost pulling me out of the carriage. I could only gasp and hide the fear on my face as they guided me right to the church doors. My dress hid the fact that my feet weren't even touching the ground.

We stopped right outside the church doors before they placed me back down. I yanked my arms away and gave them a harsh glare before they bowed and walked away quickly. My father turned to me one last time, "Smile. This is a celebration. The people are watching." He snapped as his lips turned up in a smile that didn't reach his eyes.

A sigh left my mouth as I forced a smile on my face. He gave me a happy nod before turning to the pianist, queuing the music to start. The instrumentals rang loudly as my veil was quickly lowered over my face.

"All rise." I could hear the pastor inside calling out and instantly my heart dropped. I couldn't pin the blame on my teary eyes or my veil for my lack of vision as my father walked me down the blurry aisle. Every step forward felt like dragging iron through mud. I tried to focus on my breaths as I could feel us getting closer to the stage. The music faded and a heavy silence filled the air as my feet planted on the velvet platform.

My father turned me to the prince before stepping away. I took my own small step back as we waited in silence.

"You may be seated." The priest began his speech but I payed it no mind. My eyes almost instantly focused on the feet in front of me. Mud covered his boots and the bottom of his pants as if they'd been worn on a farm. The sight made my nose scrunch and disgust fill my face. The air also had an earth smell of salt and dirt which made me hold my bouquet closer.

Did he not prepare for today? Was he a slob?

Maybe sickness will claim me before we get to his chambers. Hopefully it would take my life before he could take my virgini-

"Do you, Princess Annamarie of Bellmonte, take Prince Malik Osiris of Driscoll to be your lawfully wedded husband?" The priest pauses, awaiting my answer as I struggled to even form a word. My throat felt as if it could only push out a sigh.

The silence was loud between us which made the pews begin to fill with murmurs.

"She does." My fathers voice made me jump slightly as I tried to regain my composure. "The princess is a very shy woman. She is quite nervous." He explains politely before putting a hand on my arm. He squeezed it tight, "I-I do." I speak up and hold back a wince as he finally let go again.

The priest turns to ask the prince in which he responds with,"I do." I couldn't help my disappointment at his voice. He sounded very aged to say the least. The only way to describe his tone was as if I kicked gravel down a hill. My stomach turned at the idea of hearing it for the rest of my life.

"Perhaps I'll die in a terrible accident. God's mercy always finds a way." I tried to reason with myself as the prince stepped closer, making my heart quicken as I watched his blurred hands reach for my veil. I clutched my bouquet tighter as he slowly lifted it.

His face remained stoic and I did my best to match it but my eyes clearly betrayed me. Lifting the veil did nothing to help my vision as my glassy eyes blurred his face but it mattered little as the priest broke our silence, "You may now kiss the bride." My eyes quickly closed as I felt him lean down, his breath fanning my cheeks. I subtly turned my head, letting his lips quickly kiss my cheek before turning towards the smiling priest.

I subtly wiped at my eyes and saw the priest give me a look of pity. It was clear he knew just how wrong this was but yet he did nothing but motion for the crowd to celebrate. I hesitantly turned back to the pews as the hall erupted with cheers.

My side was filled with townspeople who jumped and screamed. Children giggled as they held fistfuls of rice, waiting for their parents to queue them. I sent them a polite smile and small bow before turning to his side of the church.

My eyes widened as I saw the empty pews. Confusion graced my features for only a moment before I was once again being pushed in a random direction.

I quickly lowered my veil as I felt my eyes begin to water again. I didn't want to witness anything to come next. I could only hope for today to become a blurry memory.

"Let's go." His hand moved to my lower back as he ushered me towards the door. The screaming increased as rice began to be thrown and the crowd rushed towards the end of the pews. I ducked my head and shielded my face from the hard grains as we rushed along out the doors. I've never seen the townspeople more excited.

I kept my mouth shut as I watched our transportation arrive, it's large black cart looming over the both of us.

"Wait!" My father yelled and I could hear the Prince groan, "What about the reception and dinner? The town would love to celebrate with the princess a final time." My father walked with us as the Prince continued to push me towards the carriage, "We will be back in a month with news of a future newborn. We will celebrate then." My heart dropped and I fought the prince's hands as I turned to my father, "I-I don't think-" His face quickly formed a grimace as he cut me off, "You're going." He snapped and the tears I held back finally began to drop.

I didn't care how hard I was sobbing or how the confused faces of the villagers watched me. I could only press my hands over my face and sob as the prince guided me into the carriage then climbed in behind me.

"To Driscoll Kingdom." The Driver yelled out, making me jump. I looked up to see my father holding the door, a large smile on his face but his eyes sending me a warning look. I sent him a harsh glare, making his hands ball into fists and my attitude stop.

The prince cleared his throat, "Goodbye, King Bellemonte. A messenger will be sent after our safe arrival to Driscoll." He nodded towards my father who bowed back, "Understood. Safe travels." I opened my mouth to speak but my father slammed the door shut.

I hate him.

The carriage had begun moving through the crazed crowd of people. It wasn't until I lifted my veil and looked out the window did I notice them cheering on the end of the war. The Prince watched out the window across from me, not a single word leaving either of our lips.

I simply took the opportunity to actually get a look at him.

He looked the same age as my father. I let out a sob as I noticed the grey streaks in his hair, the rough stubble of his round chins, and even the beer gut he couldn't hide as he slouched.

"Enough tears." He snapped and I couldn't help balling my hands, "How would you feel if u were taken from your home by an ugly old man?" I snapped and watched his eyes widen, "Grateful my partner is experienced with age." He moved to slide closer but I quickly stuck my foot out, pressing it against his knee. He looked at me as if I was insane, "Fine. Have your peace for now." He mumbled and slid back over, crossing his arms over his gut.

My heart was hammering against my chest as I squished myself into the wall of the carriage. I hesitantly moved my foot back but kept my eyes on him.

"The trip will take three days.. You're father has sent your items in a carriage with us. Seems like your clothing possesses more value than you." He breaks our silence but I don't answer him. I don't think I could speak a word without sobbing.

His eyes drilled into me for a moment before he huffed and turned to look out the window.

I refused to stay here and let myself suffer with this man. My father's wrongdoings should not be my problem and I refuse to sit back and let it happen.

I had to escape.

Perhaps faking my own death would be enough. The deal wouldn't be broken and the villagers would no longer suffer with my father. Or I could plan my disappearance. I'd run away and leave nothing but a forged ransom note. And if all else fails, the true death of me would be preferred over marriage with him.

I couldn't help my side eye as I watched him dose off.
He released a wretched cough before mumbling something and closing his eyes. It took everything in me not to begin kicking at his stomach like a crazed woman.

I'd rather rid the world of him than myself.

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

160K 6.3K 48
It's a love and forced marriage story of an arrogant young man and a cute dreamworld mesmerised girl.He married her forcefully,... Will they fall in...
788K 29.7K 59
"In sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; From this day forward until death do us part." Sacred vows speeches between two souls. Wed vows...
7.8K 560 55
What would happen if Prince Charming married the Evil Queen? Only Frederick is anything but a noble fairy-tale prince. He's a power-hungry general wi...
18K 534 18
(Enemies to Lovers) His Dream was to take over the Business, and become the most Dangerous Man in the world all while being Rich. He already got a st...