Nursery rhymes and their dark...

Por MadihaKhan060

Unknowingly when we sing these nursery rhymes we engage our children with centuries-old tradition that seems... Más

Introduction
Baa Baa Black Sheep
Ring a Ring o Roses, or Ring Around The Rosie
Rock-a-bye Baby
Mary, Mary Quite Contrary
Pop! Goes the Weasel
Georgie Porgie
Humpty Dumpty
There was an old women who lived in a shoe
Three Blind Mice
Oranges and Lemons
My note

End

647 11 7
Por MadihaKhan060

According to Random House's Max Minckler, as late as 1941 the Society was condemning 100 of the most common nursery rhymes, including Humpty Dumpty and Three Blind Mice, for "harbouring unsavoury elements".
"A lot of children's literature has a very dark origin," explained Seth Lerer, dean of arts and humanities at the University California to Today.com. "Nursery rhymes are part of long-standing traditions of parody and a popular political resistance to high culture and royalty." Indeed, in a time when to caricature royalty or politicians was punishable by death, nursery rhymes proved a potent way to smuggle in coded or thinly veiled messages in the guise of children's entertainment.
In largely illiterate societies, the catchy sing-song melodies helped people remember the stories and, crucially, pass them on to the next generation.
Now, that you already know the gruesome hidden meanings behind these nursery rhymes would you still chant them to your little ones?

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

2K 135 5
REINCARNATION SERIES #1 | ON GOING I became Ophelia, the villainess who is destined to die at the age of 18. I only have 4 months to change Ophelia's...
1.1M 32.7K 17
I want to remember you, remember us... through my poems.
149K 3.9K 30
Everything seems to be falling apart for UK. He had a divorce. He was said to be 'untrustworthy' and everyone seems to dislike him. After having eno...
29.5K 1.2K 147
we all have those words. ones that are best left unsaid. ones that should be said, yet aren't. ones that ruin lives, and ones that save them. here a...