Breaking His Rules

By itz_ema

Book 1 in the Love and Rules series. Can be read as a standalone. It hurts when you find your boyfriend che... More

🏈1🏈
🏈2🏈
🏈3🏈
🏈4🏈
🏈5🏈
🏈6🏈
🏈7🏈
🏈8🏈
🏈10🏈
🏈11🏈
🏈12🏈
🏈13🏈
🏈14🏈
🏈15🏈
🏈16🏈
🏈17🏈
🏈18🏈
🏈19🏈
🏈20🏈
🏈21🏈
🏈22🏈
🏈23🏈
🏈24🏈
🏈25🏈
🏈26🏈
🏈27🏈
🏈28🏈
🏈29🏈
🏈30🏈
🏈31🏈
Epilogue

🏈9🏈

1.4K 67 39
By itz_ema

Aaron's POV:

"Delany, get your head in the game", Coach Hernandez yells at me, as I trip, landing on the floor.

"Sorry sir", I bite out frustratedly from the ground, knowing that I sound more angry than apologetic.

"Everyone, take a five-minute break", Coach says, and everyone begins to disperse. "Not you Delany"

I know that I am in for a lecture. I've been off my game for a whole week, and I haven't been able to get my head in any of the practice drills we've gone through.

Because of Kayla.

It's been a week, a whole week since the incident in the nurses' office, since we almost made out and I used our safe word. A whole week since I last saw her, except for the random glimpses in the corridors. She hadn't even come for detention. She had my number, but she didn't text me or call. I had already checked her Instagram and seen the picture that she posted of us, as well as a lot of other pictures from various parties that she had attended in the past, but there were no recent posts, and no way to find out what had happened to her.

And I find myself missing her.

Why did I stop the kiss? My first thought later that night as I pondered it was that I had probably been thinking about Alicia, but that wasn't true. My brain hadn't even been remotely on Alicia. In fact, as much as I wouldn't like to admit it, I was into the kiss, I wanted it. And yet, the knowledge that I wanted her, that the girl I had promised not to fall for was the one that I wanted, that was what made me panic.

Maybe it was a good thing that I hadn't seen her in a while

"Aaron your game is slipping", Coach Hernandez's voice drags me back to the present. "This past week you haven't been focused. I asked around and I heard that you are in detention"

I don't say anything. There is nothing to say really. He is right and my game has been slipping and I am in detention.

"You're supposed to be a leader Aaron, a beacon of light to the rest of your teammates. That's why you're the captain. You can't lead if our game is off"

I shrug a bit, knowing that again, he is saying the truth.

"That's all, Aaron, you can get back on the field."

I turn to go away, but Coach stops me, placing a hand on my shoulder. "One more thing. I know it's none of my business, but try to get yourself out of detention. Your parents are going to use any excuse to take you out of football, and we don't want to give them one ok?"

I nod, the wind stinging my eyes. Coach means well, and he's the only one at school other than Keon who knows about my parents. Without Coach, I probably wouldn't even be a player. I can still remember the tryouts, my first game, moments from football that will forever be imprinted in my mind, moments that would have been nonexistent if not for Coach.

"I will Coach", I say, and he nods.

"Good, now let's call these midgets back and continue with practice."

🏈🏈🏈

I pushed myself through the practice by sheer force of willpower, but I was glad when it finally ended. For the first time, football was depressing me, rather than lifting up my spirits. I didn't get lost in the game the way I usually would, and I could tell that Coach Hernandez could see that, but he could also see that I was trying and he didn't call me out again, even though I probably deserved it.

I trudged to the locker rooms along with the rest of my teammates, most of who were loudly cheering, probably planning some party. I couldn't care less – I had more important things on my mind.

Once we got to the locker rooms, I absently peeled off my jersey, then the pads before I went to stand under the shower. It was cold, but that was what I needed at the moment to bring me back to reality. To get my mind back.

This whole fake dating was never intended for anyone to catch feelings, yet here I was acting as though I had been pierced by one of cupid's arrows.

A knock on the door distracted me from my shower induced stupor.

"Hey Cap, you have a visitor"

Groaning, I grab at my towel, running it through my hair before wrapping it around my waist.

I step out to find the locker room empty.

Except for Alicia.

"Hi", she says.

I don't bother responding to her greeting. "What are you doing here, Alicia? This is the boys' locker room"

"The boys had no issue when I told them that I needed to speak to you in private", she says, her brown eyes widening. "I simply gave them each a hundred dollars, and they were happy to lend it to me"

I growl under my breath. Alicia is all about using money to get her way, and sometimes it gets on my nerves.

"So what is it?", I ask, mostly playing aloof but also anxious for her to leave.

"I was watching you play. You were great out there."

If not for the fact that I knew that I had in fact played horribly, I might have believed her for a microsecond. However, my disbelief at the statement is so evident that it must show on my face or something, because she immediately sidles closer to me, pressing her palms against my chest... my bare chest.

She gives me a sneaky smile, as if she knows how much my body has missed her touch, and I had to fight the urge to grab her, kiss her senseless, take her back.

"We're going for a party you know. You should come. We haven't been able to hang out in a while"

She pulls back with a smile, as though she knew the thoughts running through my head, and that cold calculated smile brought me back to my senses.

"I'm busy", I reply coldly, looking away.

"Busy with who? Kayla? You know she can't compare to me"

"You're right. She can't compare to you. she's way above your level."

And with that I push her (gently of course) out of the room and lock the door behind her, then collapse against the wall, my breaths coming in loud heavy pants.

Eventually, I am calm enough to get myself back together. I stand up and put a shirt over my head, then take a deep breath and unlock the door. Luckily, Alicia isn't on the other side. She never could stand rejection anyway.

Why am I rejecting her though? Isn't this what I want, for her to want me back? The voice in my head tries to convince me that I am doing this to test if Alicia really wants me back and I am playing hard to get, but I don't believe it, no matter how much I try to convince myself.

I make my way to the parking lot, but just as I am about to enter my care, I see a flash of red hair, and run towards it, hoping and praying that it is Steph.

I am in luck.

Steph is deep in conversation with Quinn who is standing beside a dark blue car. so deep in conversation that they don't see me until I am right in front of them.

"Dude", Steph

shrieks when she finally turns around and spots me. "You cannot sneak up on someone like that."

"Well I've been standing here for a while, and you were too busy to see me." I look around, but Kayla is nowhere in sight.

"Have any of you seen Kayla?"

"Who, your fake girlfriend?", Quinn smirks.

I glare at Steph who shrugs innocently. "Quinn is officially part of the girl group, and girl groups don't keep secrets."

"Yeah", Quinn says, and she and Steph fist bump. I roll my eyes. Why does Kayla have such annoying friends?

"So where is Kayla?", I ask to get them back on track.

"She left about twenty minutes ago. Probably at home right now", Quinn says.

"Can't believe she says she wasn't going to come to the party. Something must be wrong with her"

I blush at this, knowing exactly what is wrong with her.

"Look, can I have her number or something? I'm worried about her"

"Oooh someone is catching feelings", Steph coos

"He's totally red", Quinn laughs. "This is so romantic"

"I'm red because you guys are embarrassing me"

"Yeah right", Steph rolls her eyes as she tears out a page from her notebook and starts scribbling. She thrusts the paper out at me, then she and Quinn get in the car.

"Make it count rulebook", Quinn grins as they drive off.

I unfold the piece of paper.

On it is not Kayla's number, but her house address.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.6M 296K 32
Highest rank in teen fiction #7 Highest rank in #boyfriend #2 Started 28th August 2016 COMPLETED 8th January 2017 Not edited (update - I wrote this...
4.3K 224 28
Tay is in love with one of her ex bestfriend the only problem is that she is not dating her. Instead Tay is in a relationship with Calvin who makes t...
33.6K 3.1K 23
"Why are you ignoring me?" "Ahh---Lucas I don't know. Whenever I have tried to trust someone I have been betrayed. Even my so-called friends have hur...