Spurned Queen

By LizzieStars

My life was never a bore. As half witch, half werewolf, I am undoubtedly one of the most capable beings in th... More

Chapter 1: From The Other Plane
Chapter 2: Aevran
Chapter 3: The Visit
Chapter 4: Interrogated
Chapter 5: Sickness
Chapter 6: A Strip of Air
Chapter 8: Kicked Puppy
Chapter 9: Infiltration
Chapter 10: Stolen Power
Chapter 11: Drowning Rescue
Chapter 12: Almost
Chapter 13: Mission Impossible
Chapter 14: An Audience with the Queen
Chapter 15: Plans
Chapter 16: Plans in Motion
Chapter 17: The Tunnels
Chapter 19: Girls' Day Out
Chapter 20: Urgent Summons
Chapter 21: Heads Up
Chapter 22: Crossing
Chapter 23: Ma'lak
Chapter 24: Elemental Lesson
Chapter 25: Kaiden
Chapter 26: The Hearing
Chapter 27: Kaiden and I
Chapter 28: The Mistake
Chapter 29: Homecoming
Chapter 30: Banished
Chapter 31: Way to Make an Entrance
Chapter 32: Two Moms in a Day
Chapter 33: I Meet My Daughter
Chapter 34: The First Battle
Chapter 35: Insomnia
Chapter 36: Secrets, Annoyance, and More Secrets
Chapter 37: The Sweetest Thing I Ever Saw
Chapter 38: Morning Blues
Chapter 39: Cindy Also Has a Secret
Chapter 40: Imogen's Warning
Chapter 41: Morning Gone Bad
Chapter 42: In An Infirmary Ward
Chapter 43: My Mate
Chapter 44: Ambush
Chapter 45: The Battle in the Valley
Chapter 46: Traitor, Part 1
Chapter 47: A Dangerous Deal
Chapter 48: Breaking Out
Chapter 49: Traitor, Part 2
Chapter 50: With the Witch in the Cockpit
Chapter 51: A Different POV
Chapter 52: White Flag
Chapter 53: Apologize
Chapter 54: Fruit Salad
Chapter 55: It's High Time
Chapter 56: The Calm Before the Storm
Chapter 57: Parents
Chapter 58: The End of the War
Chapter 59: Loss
Chapter 60: Walk Away
Chapter 61: Time
Epilogue
Another Book?

Chapter 18: Scared

3 0 0
By LizzieStars

Lexi

I found my way safely back into our rooms.

The next day, Jacden was announced to be missing. A little suspicion and a few glares came our way, but our alibi was impeccable. After all, two of us had borne the third to our rooms last night and stayed with her all night. Nothing was even slightly amiss with us— the plan had gone wonderfully, thanks to my experienced, efficient partners.

By all reason, we knew nothing about the dead bat in the diggings under the castle. Our plan held together firmly, even with all the unplanned detours and near fails. It was a rare occurrence that a mission was pulled off so well, but who was I kidding, I was out here with two of the best Witches any coven had to offer.

In fact, Jacden's death was a good thing in disguise. Mirabel used it as an excuse for us to leave the Vampire Palace as soon as possible, since "the castle had become uncomfortable for us." The Vampire King, my mate, appeared at the morning meal, which I dodged for precisely that reason. The vampires were in a hurry to usher us out, being thrown into a jumbled frenzy by the conditions of their Royal Advisor's death.

Most of those details were not disclosed to us; but since we were the ones responsible, of course we knew everything. But the King allowed us out with promises to consider our mistress' desires. With smiles and bows, we left the castle under the eyes of hundreds of witnesses.

It was hilarious how they let the culprits through their gates without batting an eyelash, but as a part-time assassin, I knew that sometimes missions go better than expected.

I had, for the most part, blocked Lattis in my mind. She was always talking about our mate, and I firmly refused to think about him for the rest of the journey home.

I didn't want to think about his conversation with Imogen. About the fact that he was the vampire Lord, and what that would mean for us. About the possibility that he truly cared about me.

I forcefully dragged myself under, placing myself in a deep slumber in the limo.

***

Someone shoved me ruthlessly off the couch. I sputtered and coughed, looking up to see Mirabel sound asleep on the opposite couch and Rowan staring at me worriedly. Something caught my eye, and I turned in time to see a dark, skittering figure disappear behind the couch. I cursed and clambered back onto the couch.

"Do you usually fall out of bed?" Rowan asked, amused.

"Oh, you have no idea," I said dryly.

He cackled at my expense while I buried my head and groaned. The Pearl Sea wouldn't let me sleep? All because I chose to save the life of a warlock that was currently snickering at me because he thought I had fallen off the couch.

"Hey," he said. "What do you think about that Advisor's phonecall? What key do you think he wanted?"

"He mentioned a ledger," I muttered sleepily, only to feel a sting in my head that kept me awake.

"Yeah. Though I wonder why it would be so important that he would threaten someone with their children's lives."

"Must be for some code in the Palace," I murmured.

"He was the Advisor. He probably had access to every door in that Palace. I bet the whole royal family is involved."

"Nah," I shook my head. "He was brewing this war behind the king's back. Aevran was clueless."

"Aevran?"

"Uh, yeah," I blinked. "The Advisor said his name during the fight before I killed him."

Rowan nodded. I shook my head groggily, turning my back to him and trying to catch a wink of sleep.

***

"Your work is wonderful," praised my mother. "With the information you copied, we might be able to track the movements, transactions, maybe even motives of this band. We know now that they are targeting wielders, Selene knows why. The names on that list are currently being followed and watched closely by our best spies. Apart from the death of Jacden Heis, this mission went perfectly according to plan. I congratulate you. I believe it is safe to assume that witches not quite as excellent as you three would have failed this mission. It is with this in mind," she proudly declared, "that I have spoken with my fellow Head Witches. It has been decided that you, Mirabel, are to be sent to the First High Coven to be trained to take over as the next Head. And I, meanwhile, will take Rowan into apprenticeship myself."

Huge, silly grins broke out on both their faces. Head Witch! There were only thirteen High Covens, and they were to be Heads. It was truly a great achievement, and their smiles of pleasure raised a giggle to my lips.

"What about Lexi?" asked Rowan. "She taught us a lot of what we know. She should receive this honor before us." Mirabel nodded her agreement, but the Head laughed.

"Oh, never mind about Lexi," she said with a wave of her hand. "She has much greater things in store for her. She'll be just fine without the position."

I grinned in the stricken faces of my friends. "Congratulations," I said to them both.

Mirabel suddenly threw her arms about me. "Thank you, Lexi," she said. "I don't know what your mom is talking about, but you seem to, so I suppose it's alright. Thanks for everything you've done for us; you've practically led us up to this position. I hope those 'greater things' are worth what you're giving up."

I hugged her back. "That's what friends are for," I said, signalling Rowan to cone join us. "Of course I did this for you two. Though there was a big chance of us all dying out there," I joked.

"I'm very sorry to interrupt, but Mirabel, your new mistress has arrived. And Rowan, as my apprentice, I expect you to be prepared to commission the new additions to our coven. In light of this, you are both dismissed."

The pair bowed their heads in respect for my mom and scampered away to perform their duties.

"So, greater things, huh," I chuckled, stretching. "Wonder when I'll find them out."

"Lexi, I dismissed the others so that I could speak to you in private. You didn't tell me about your mate and I didn't press, thinking that you had things fairly under control. Imagine my surprise, then, when Tyler tells me your mate is a vampire. Right after I sent you among them!"

I suddenly wanted to leave, to get out of her presence. "I don't want to talk about it," I sighed. I hadn't even given myself a chance to think about Aevran, much less talk about him. "What difference would it have made anyway?"

"It would have made all the difference!" She threw up her hands in exasperation, rising from her chair to descend the steps in her long, swishing, silver robes. "Your mate would recognize you anywhere! What if he saw you as a witch, where he knew you as a wolf before? Would you just tell him about yourself?"

"You mean I shouldn't?" I droned.

"Did you?" Her voice dropped to a whisper, her face paling.

"No, I didn't."

"Good. You shouldn't. A mate who doesn't accept and respect you as his match cannot be trusted with your secrets."

I stared at the floor.

"Right, Lexi?" she demanded sharply.

"He has reasons," I mumbled.

"What?!" Mum cupped my face in both hands and forced me to look in her eyes. "No," she spoke gently, "don't let him make you feel that way. You are not in the wrong about anything. It is his duty to you to take you in, take care of you, cherish you, honor you, love you. If he doesn't do these things, don't you let him make it look like your fault. There is nothing wrong with you."

I shook my head. "No, Mum, that's not what's going on. He didn't tell me it was my..."

My voice died away. Yes, he had never blamed me for any problems. However, the fact remained that if I wasn't a puny werewolf, his kingdom would accept me.

"Don't," she snapped. She narrowed her eyes at me. Whatever she saw made her purse her lips. "Go home," she ordered, sending her robes sweeping as she made a sharp turn and went back up the steps. "You are relieved of coven duty for a week; don't expect to be summoned. I expect you to sleep. Relax. Have some fun. Connect with my grandbabies. And if you dare come here looking as exhausted or scared as you do now— just don't."

I opened my mouth, but nothing came out.

I can't believe we look scared. I thought we were hiding it well.

I didn't know I was scared in the first place. What was I afraid of?

I wasn't afraid of the war. I wasn't scared of the Pearl Sea. Was I afraid of Aevran? No, not really. I just didn't know what to feel about him. He was one huge question mark.

Or was I afraid that he would do as Imogen suggested and forget about me?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.1K 179 33
"Wait....hold up,so you guys are telling me that we are not even related!!"I screamed from the top of my lungs. "Hunny-"my supposed to be mom started...
80 3 18
Tired of all her sufferings, she's a girl who escaped her pack to start over and hopefully find her mate. will she be able to do it? ...
5.8K 326 27
What is the destiny of a she-wolf on the run to the human land? . . . At a young age, Alexia lost her parents. With her current status and rumours su...
801 201 14
Lycan's were the first beasts created by the moon goddess to protect gods creation; the humans, from Lucifer's creation; the Vampires. Once the dark...