Her Fatal Fate

By GhostStory_13

"In every other universe. Gwen Stacy falls for Spider-man... And in every other universe..." Well, you know... More

Her Fatal Fate

527 15 8
By GhostStory_13

So, listen guys. If you've seen Across the Spider-verse (which I'm guessing you have by now) then you know that everything the writers did or had the characters say in the first movie had a deeper meaning that they would delve into later. So, I'm sure that like me, you guys paid closer attention to the details after the first time watching the movie.

One thing that stuck with me was the, 'In every universe Gwen Stacy falls for Spider-man.' What I wrote is how I think this information will be used in the next movie, because there's no way her saying that wasn't meant to go anywhere. It is just too good of an opportunity for the plot for them to pass up.

I will honestly be shocked if this or something similar to this doesn't happen in the next movie and I honestly can't wait to see how the writers convey it.

Anyway, on to the story!

*******

Gwen Stacy knew her fate.

She thought that maybe she could prevent it by keeping him at arm's length, but she came to find...

You can stop yourself from loving someone.

She was only postponing the inevitable.

"In every other universe..."

It was a story told a million times. It was a fate that she was doomed to. The tragedy of Gwen Stacy was known to every Spider-man. Gwen Stacy fell for Spider-Man and then fell to her death. It was a simple truth, but the thought made her stomach churn.

It was as if she weren't allowed to be happy- like the universe was punishing her for having the audacity to find joy. So, when Gwen realized that there was no stopping her feelings and that the canon events could be altered, she immediately formed a ragtag team to save the boy she loved.

After rescuing him from 'earth 42', fighting off his eerie, dark doppelganger, and numerous heartfelt apologies from Gwen and Peter: the group arrived back on Earth '1610', prepared to face Spot and save Miles's father. They had spread out. Peni, Margo, and Ham were on damage control and saving civilians. Noir and Pavitr were in charge of making sure Jefferson Morales was safe and Miles, Peter, Hobie, and Gwen well... they were fighting the supercharged Spot.

And the plan had worked. She and her group had done a good job of taking the villain head-on, but eventually, Miles came up with a much-needed plan. It was something he said he had used before. He had strung the villain up in his own portals by securely webbing him up along the roof of Benny's Doughnuts.

In one last malicious attempt at vengeance, Spot formed a portal- the largest he had yet. Although, with his body strewn through various portals littering the rooftop, Spot had no control and that hair-brained attempt was his curtain call. The huge display doughnut at the peak of the shop barreled through the opening crushing the former scientist in its wake.

In the end; the Spot's longing for vengeance orchestrated his demise.

It had been a hard-fought battle and a great victory. Miles's Dad was still alive and well- everyone was safe. The gang had all come back together atop the Chrysler Building. Masks were off and all were giving each other hugs and fist bumps- all the good things. But of course... things couldn't be all good.

She must have jinxed it.

The next thing Gwen knew, the ground crumbled beneath her and she was falling. The wind brutally slashed against her back as the air was forced from her lungs. Everything felt so... felt so hazy. Her body was begging for sleep, though her brain screamed at her to do...something? She couldn't exactly figure out what. The dots weren't connecting. The signal was lost.

She flicked her wrists, but her web-shooters only spurted a small squirt of webbing from its nozzle. Gwen's eyes widened.

Oh no. Please, not now.

"Come on," she grunted as she rapidly pressed the release buttons, "I need you to work!"

Her watch chimed and Gwen felt her blood run cold at the holographic display that appeared.

[CANON EVENT IN PROGRESS]

So, that's what it was. She was dying... or she was going to die?

She wasn't as scared as she thought she'd be or maybe that was just what her pain-filled delirium was telling her. Although the fact of the matter was, that she had seen this very same fate happen multiple times.

Gwen could tell you how many times she'd seen this happen. One hundred and twelve times to be exact. Miguel had explained it in an excruciatingly thorough manner.

This moment had been set in stone over the course of history. It was a tale as old as time. Gwen Stacy always dies. No matter what future she plans she may have for herself or how bright her achievements may be; she was nothing more than an obstacle in the life of the Spider-man she loved. Nothing more than a hurdle to cross- a level to clear to make him stronger... and then he would find someone else- someone more worthy of his love.

Gwen Stacy was just a pawn in the chess game of the life of Spider-man

Still, she felt prepared. She felt acceptance.

But wait, why was this happening? Why now? This was only supposed to happen if...

Miles.

Of course, it was. It always happened. She should have seen this coming. She had said it herself.

"Gwen Stacy falls for Spider-man."

Gwen could have snorted if there were enough air in her lungs.

Yes, excellent choice of words, Stacy. You're a real comedian.

She had tried to prevent this by pushing him away, but she was only delaying the inevitable. Why did she think she would be any different than her variants?

Gwen shut her eyes as the cool air forced her limp limbs to flail and the many scents of the street below whisked together as she neared them at a rapid pace.

There was no stopping it. It was a pre-written script- an end that always came. Gwen Stacy never makes it. It was as if the multiverse had a vendetta against her- as if it dangled happiness over her head only to pull the rug out from under her. Gwen Stacy wasn't allowed to find love and keep it. She couldn't be happy.

She should have known this would happen.

She wasn't going home.

I'm so sorry, Dad.

Gwen Stacy loved Miles Morales. She loved him. Now, because of her own fears and her listening to Miguel's stupid canon theories. She'd never get to tell him. They'd never get to play things out. They'd never get to see if maybe they could have been something more- even if just for a little while.

Gwen had taken this in with a solemn acceptance.

This was her fatal fate.

And she knew exactly how it played out.

"And in every other universe"

She peered through half-lidded eyes, her heart breaking at the sight before her, though, she already knew it would be there.

Miles had hurled himself through the air after her, a hand outstretched to her prone form even though she was too far away to take it. His eyes were widened in utter dread and were glassy with unshed tears that revealed his anguish.

She hoped he wouldn't grieve too much for her, because he had so much more life to live and just like every other Spider-man story before, when she was gone, that would open the gateways for him to find the one. For Peter Parker, he was meant to find MJ and for Miles... well, whoever it was Gwen prayed that she was wonderful. Miles deserved nothing less. That girl would be better for him than Gwen could ever be.

Gwen smiled slightly to herself as her eyes fluttered shut. She set her mind at ease. Everything would be okay. They had stopped The Spot. The multiverse wasn't going to collapse. Miles's father was safe and sound. Miles had made it through this. Her father was safe and sound. This has all been worthwhile.

That felt like an accomplishment to her.

"Gwen!" Miles's voice rang through the air. It sounded so beautiful, distressed as it was.

He wanted to see her eyes- to make sure she wasn't already gone. It wouldn't make any difference, but she met his gaze, hoping to be a comfort in any way she could. Tears leaked from his gorgeous, hazel eyes and Gwen felt her chest pang.

He shouldn't be feeling this way, especially not over her.

She hoped to relay her thoughts to him through her own eyes, the her vision was starting to blur. Black seeped into the corner of her sight and she felt consciousness slipping away.

Everything will be okay, Miles.

This was her fault for falling for him- for making him fall for her. She could have spared him this pain- pain that he didn't deserve to be feeling. She had betrayed him. She had neglected him. She wasn't worth it.

"Gwen, hang on!" He pleaded, trying to quicken his descent by webbing floating debris and slinging himself forward, "I'm coming!"

She wanted to tell him it was no use, but she instead forced a smile onto her face as she studied his features: Hazel eyes, that always held such determination, unruly curls that somehow both looked a mess and neat at the same time, strong arms that he outstretched in the empty hope of reaching her.

She knew he'd never give up and maybe that was one of the reasons she fell for him. He was determined. He was strong, mentally and physically. Through all of that, he still had a heart of gold. He was so loving, even to a girl like her who had pushed everyone away, who didn't know how to love. He still showered her with care and blessed her with his forgiveness.

She didn't deserve him.

Maybe the universe knew that. Maybe that was the reason for her cannon event. Maybe if she had lived, she would have only brought Miles down with her.

"Don't give up!" the boy whimpered. Gwen wasn't sure if he was talking to her or himself, "I've almost got you!" He let out a growl, teeth clenched, "Spiders don't quit!"

Quitting? Was she quitting?

No, she was stoic.

"It's okay," she whispered as her eyes rolled back, her breath was escaping her quickly, "It's okay, Miles. Let me go."

Miles had closed some distance, though it wouldn't be enough. Gwen tried to keep her nerves from spiraling erratically as her Spider-sense began to flash warnings of the oncoming ground that was nearing with every second. Her hands shook as her senses went haywire, its vibrations growing every second as her impending doom came closer.

Gwen watched in a delirious haze as Miles fired a web line in her direction.

She knew what to expect next.

The web wrapped around her midsection and Gwen's eyes widened as she was yanked up, her body colliding with Miles's chest. The momentum made them turn to where Miles's body now faced the ground. His arms slinked around her protectively.

This wasn't supposed to happen. This wasn't how this played out.

She couldn't help, but gasp out through her shock, "What's going on?"

The boy had his head rested in the crook of her neck and he whispered gently in her ear. "I'm not letting you go. I won't let it happen," he let out a shuttering breath, "I'm writing my own story."

He was... defying fate? Just casually- like that!? The girl blankly stared forward as it registered in her mind. Just like them saving his dad, he was saving her.

But how... why... No!

A thought struck her like a bolt of lightning.

What if Miles hit the ground? What if he died?

"Miles, let go!" Gwen grunted as she shoved against his hold. He only tightened his grip on her. "Miles, please!" She was begging now. Let it be her. She couldn't lose him. Tears streamed down her face as she tried to create space between them, but it had no effect on the boy.

"I love you," he whispered.

Her eyes shot open.

"... It doesn't end well."

"I won't let you do this!" She blubbered, her teary blue eyes meeting his. His eyes were sympathetic, but not remorseful.

"I won't let you stop me," her lips parted as his eyes trailed over her face, his lips quirking upward, " I love you too much."

His lips were on hers in an instant and Gwen's pupils dilated before her eyes drifted shut and she felt her body relax against his. He poured so much emotion into that kiss and Gwen matched his passion. She could only taste the saltiness of their tears as they mixed together, though neither of them could care less. This was their last moment together. They were ending before they even had the chance to begin.

Fate was such a jerk to them- to every spider-person.

Gwen peeked through her lashes at the boy she loved.

She didn't want to leave him- to lose him. It felt so cruel to let this end so soon- to not even see where this shared path could lead or where they could go. She wanted to be with him. She wanted it so, so badly.

That was when Gwen decided.

If Miles was going to make his own story then she would as well. They would write their story together and Gwen decided right there and then, this story of theirs was not reaching its finale, but was only in its opening chapter.

Screw fate. Screw canon events. Screw Miles's selflessness. Screw the mark death had left on her. Neither of them were going to die today. Miles would see his father alive and well. They were gonna make it out of this. Not because it was supposed to happen- not because of an algorithm, but because she said so!

She could see the ground sailing toward them and her mind scrambled for a solution. She had to be quick. There were mere seconds until collision.

You can do this, Stacy. This is for Miles's future- for your future.

She peered over Miles's shoulder to eye the devices of her wrists and soon found herself turning the dial on the hopper Hobie had made. She clamped her eyes shut as screams of terror sounded from the street below, and a brief flash of light seeped through her lidded vision. Gwen clung to Miles like a lifeline, her teeth locked shut.

The girl felt an impact as their two bodies went tumbling and a sting shot through her hands as they scraped the ground. Gwen could only listen to her rapid breathing as she didn't dare to open her eyes. She couldn't look and see what had become.

"Gwen?"

"Hmm," she responded without thinking, not even taking into account the fact that she was being spoken to.

"The heck's up with the sky?"

At that, her eyes snapped open. She peered down at Miles as her eyes darted across his face.

Unscathed.

Uninjured.

Alive.

She had... she had done it. They had done it. They lived.

"We're.... alive," she breathed out as her brain still attempted to process this information. She buried her head into the crook of his neck as she forced her breathing to slow and her hands quaked from the rush of adrenaline. "We did it!" She laughed in shock.

Miles let out a shuddering breath as he lolled his head back to the ground. A small smile rested on his face. "Yeah, I guess we did," he whispered.

Gwen lifted her head to meet his gaze, her face practically beaming with joy. "It-It's all over! We did it! We can..." her rambling died out as her gaze drifted down to the boy below her and she pursed her lips. Her brows pinched together as a question probed her mind.

Miles lifted a hand and gently cupped her cheek, before bringing her head down to brush his lips against her temple. Gwen's eyes widened and she felt her face heat at the gesture. He smiled at her and gave a nod, "We can." His expression broadened into a Grinch-like grin, "There's a first time for everything. Right?"

Gwen couldn't help, but match his expression. A laugh slipped past her lips. "Right," she agreed.

"Y'know, I was right when I said you and I are the same."

"What do you mean?"

Miles looked almost nervous as he answered, "You were supposed to die, right?" The corners of his lips quirked up, "I guess that makes you an anomaly too."

Gwen was taken aback by that. She supposed he was right. The girl found it so endearing that he had thought of it. "I guess it does," she smiled, "And I'm proud of it." Her eyes darted across his face as she took in his features, still hardly able to believe all that had transpired, "I... I love you, Miles."

"I love you too," the reply came immediately.

She stood to her feet reaching out a hand to the boy. He eyed it for a moment before smiling up at her and accepting the help. He dusted himself off for a moment, before reeling back as he was struck in the shoulder.

"Ow!"

"That's for trying to let yourself die to save me!" Gwen scowled, though she wasn't angry. How could she be?

"A thank you would be appreciated," he muttered rubbing the spot tenderly as he clearly tried to fight down a smile, which Gwen found a bit adorable.

"I'm sure it would," she answered with a shrug, turning on her heel and acting as if she would walk away.

"Wow," the boy called, dropping his act, "That's cold."

With a playful roll of her eyes, she spun around placing a light, feather-like kiss on the boy's lips. She quickly pulled away and smirked, "How's that for a thank you?"

He blinked away his shock and shook his head, before finally grinning back at her, "I'll take it."

Miles's hand reached for her cheek once again and Gwen didn't object, meeting him halfway and snaking her hands around his shoulders as his free hand tangled into her golden strands. The girl smiled into it as the sun set on 'Earth 65'. The beautiful pink faded into a deep purple behind them like the carefully brushed-out strokes of an artist.

"We should probably get back," Gwen pulled away with a whisper, "The others will be worried."

Miles rested his head atop hers and breathed in the scent of her hair. Contented, he hummed, "Five more minutes." The girl smiled as she relaxed against him.

Gwen couldn't be any happier.

She couldn't feel any stronger.

She couldn't be any more whole.

Who cares what fate says.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.2K 203 9
After the tragedy that the Titans and the Batfamily had gone through, Rachel leaves for Wayne Manor, searching for every person's desire- the cure to...
863K 40K 61
Taehyung is appointed as a personal slave of Jungkook the true blood alpha prince of blue moon kingdom. Taehyung is an omega and the former prince...
1M 54.6K 35
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Junghoon's ) daughter Mishel...
674K 33.4K 24
↳ ❝ [ ILLUSION ] ❞ ━ yandere hazbin hotel x fem! reader ━ yandere helluva boss x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, a powerful d...