Coffee & Criminals

By HessianKills

18 year old Florence Remy has three things that mean the world to her: Twizzlers, her best friends Ade and Cl... More

Author's Note
1. Love is a Mutual Thing
2. An Unforgettable Arrival
3. Don't Say My Name
4. Mr. (Not) Nice Guy
5. Tunnels
7. A Very Wet Revenge
8. Mom!
9. Egg Free Muffins
10. Coming Clean...Kinda
11. Surprise Visit
12. Half-Baked Potato
13. Lost In Brooklyn
14. I Dare You
15. A Ride Back Home
16. Observations
17. It's Just Rock Candy
18. Goodbyes & Warnings
19. Balloons
20. Liar, Liar
21. Adventure
22. She's Your What?!
23. Bad To The Bone
24. Ouchies
25. Open Up
26. Good Girl
27. Regret
28. The Phone Call
29. Criminals Like Pancakes, Too
30. The Devil is a Good Kisser
31. Aca-Scuse Me?
32. The Interrogation
33. Actions Have Consequences
34. I'm Sorry, Sir
35. Sleepover
36. Knock Out
37. Every Rose Has Its Thorns
38. Trials & Tribulations
39. Moth To A Flame
40. Nice Bathrooms
41. Run, Baby, Run
42. Until The Bitter End
43. Blast Off

6. A Coffee-Related Mistake

99K 5K 2.9K
By HessianKills

The next day was one heck of a wild ride.

It began with me waking up, as usual. I took a shower while singing my heart out, as usual. I dressed for work and went downstairs for breakfast, as usual. While going down the stairs, I forgot to step on the last one and had a mini-heart attack as I almost fell on my butt, not that usual. And then I ate breakfast and walked into the Espresso House, ready for the day to end so I could go back home and watch television, as usual. It was at this point that things started to get unusual.

The very first thing I noticed was yet again, how empty the shop was. Would the aliens that abducted all our customers be oh so kind to return them? Or perhaps the zombies that ate our customers barf them back up and hire Dr. Henry Frankenstein to reassemble the parts so we could actually legitify ourselves as a functioning business- oh, I don't know. It was all very frustrating for me to see my parent's livelihood suffer like this.

The next thing I noticed was that the seat Ade usually sat in was emptier than my heart. Not that I have an empty heart. You know, veins...arteries- seriously, I have no idea what kind of point I'm trying to make here. I guess the author's just trying to get a bigger word count so she'll feel like she accomplished something today.

The third thing I noticed was that the licorice jar was now replaced with a larger one filled with different-colored Twizzlers and on the jar, in bright red letters, it read 'Candy French Fries.'

And the fourth (and final, I promise because I'm not usually so privy to notice things very much, except for today, where I'll list all the things I've noticed) thing I noticed was that the door that led to the basement and cellar was flung wide open. Why did I notice this, you ask? Well, usually, the basement door is shut and locked because both my mother and I have an irrational fear of monsters creeping out of the darkness. The door usually helped ease that fear since I doubt zombies knew how to pick locks. Unless the zombie, before it was turned to a zombie, had been a lock-picker during the course of its human life.

The Espresso House was empty. This, I knew for a fact. Dad had come down with the flu last night (it was just an excuse so he wouldn't have to come in today and face the consequence of having a third party ownership. Also, there was some major football game on tv today) and Mom had stayed to take care of him. We weren't supposed to be open today. Since business was never that good, a day off couldn't hurt. Also, my parents believed that if we were closed, then the Crowns would stay away.

But I couldn't help myself. I had to stop by. I needed to sit down and have a long, hard think about why we were failing as a business. There had to be a reason behind our lack of customers. It didn't make sense. In the heart of Brooklyn, with people left and right, we should've been up to our necks in customers. There was nothing physically wrong about the Espresso House. It was pretty enough to pass as one of the best coffee houses in the city. And yet...nothing. No one wanted to step foot inside this place. Was our coffee just really bad or something?

Since school was on break and Ade wanted to avoid me like the plague (after leaving ten messages, I'd think he'd have the decency to answer at least one of them) and the Espresso House was closed, I had nothing to do and no one to spend it with. Even Clancy was out hiking with her family and Samantha was still getting over her boyfriend.

When in doubt (or in this case, complete boredom) do homework. After eating my usual snack of ten thousand or so Twizzlers, I made myself a cup of coffee. I don't normally drink coffee, but I needed the kick this bleary morning. And also, I was trying to prove to myself that our coffee does not suck and everyone was just a butthole for not coming to this place more often. I sat down in one of the tables to do my work in silence. I could've done all of this back home but I liked coming to the Espresso House (unlike everyone else) and I liked the way the sunlight came in through the windows to throw pretty shapes onto the marble floor.

I was halfway into reading the Hamlet summary on CliffNotes when I noticed something on the corner of my laptop screen. Since my laptop was synced with the location of Brooklyn, I would occasionally get notifications portraying to the city's current events. Usually, I paid them no mind and continued on with my work. But this time, I couldn't ignore what the notification was saying. It was gesturing for me to go click on a link that took me to the site of the Brooklyn City newspaper and the main source for the Channel 5 news. In little white letters, it read 'Crowns Arrive in Brooklyn - Click to read more.'

Now, curiosity was getting to me. Unable to help myself, I clicked the link. A new tab opened up the Brooklyn City news. Other than the usual current events reading to the side, the main topic of the day was about the infamous Brooklyn Crowns.

Brooklyn Based Mafia, The Crowns, Arrive With a Devastating Welcome it read in bold letters at the top. Below the title was a picture of them, except it wasn't all that good. It was a blurry, candid photograph shot from a rooftop. Four men dressed in black motorcycle gear with crash helmets were behind a man who could be none other than Wolfe Sterling. His face was hidden from view so all that was shot were the dark figures walking across an empty parking lot. A phone was pressed to Wolfe's ear and it was obvious to tell that the four guys behind him held guns. A little caption under the picture read, 'Brooklyn mobster and crime boss Wolfe Sterling in front - rest are unidentified.'

I scrolled down, all too fascinated by this to remember the homework I was supposed to be doing.

The news article that followed was short and pictures interrupted all the way through, including one of the Lane Diner with the car still smashed in. Chewing my lower lip, I began to read.

New York City is home to some of the biggest crime rates in the country. With murders up to 18% following the new year, it seems as if another source has arrived to add onto the statistics. Brooklyn-based mafia, The Crowns, announced their arrival yesterday morning following the death of 54 year old police veteran Edmund Grey. He was found dead at 11 a.m. with several bullet wounds through the chest and head in his 4th floor apartment complex of Queens, New York. Suspected to be the work of the Crowns, police began searching for the criminals. It remains unclear the nature of the crime and why exactly a retired ex-cop was the latest victim of the American mafia. However, evidence points to a blood vendetta.

If only they had gotten there sooner.

At 10: 34 a.m. yesterday, police answered a call made by a local woman who claimed to have seen the Crowns lurking near Edmund Grey's apartment after the death. A shocking chase across the Brooklyn Bridge followed several minutes later as three members of the Crowns took off in a stolen white Buick. Police ordered a lockdown on the bridge, but it did not affect the traffic that was present during the chase. After a violent swerve, one of the police cruisers in action skid out of control and crashed into a Dairy Queen milk truck. Behind the wheel, 24 year old rookie Matthew Hoske was found dead on scene.

This was exactly what happened on the news yesterday, except much more detailed than the live version. A picture of the chase accompanied the last sentence, a still taken from the footage from the helicopter. Drinking more of the coffee, I continued reading.

As police continued the chase, the Crowns made their way into the city of Brooklyn. After several minutes of pursuing, the Buick swerved out of control and crashed headfirst into the Lane Diner, run by married couple Martha and Stewart Lane. Before police could arrive on scene, members of the Crowns had abandoned the car and disappeared, leaving behind the loss of a business and confused officers. It was reported that only three members of the Crowns were inside the car. It is assumed Wolfe Sterling was not present at the scene of the crime. Police are still on alert for the capture of the American mafia.

I'd be a great help to their search. "Oh yeah, they're right in the Espresso House cellar. The blonde guy likes to play Monopoly. Come, I'll show you the way. While you're here, can I just mention that Wolfe Sterling held me at gunpoint the next day while forcing my parents to sign over fifty percent of the business? LOL."

Where does the horrific legacy of the Brooklyn Crowns begin? And how far are the criminals willing to take it to make a name for themselves? Reported to have spent the last two years in Canada, the Crowns are led by crime boss and mobster Wolfe Sterling. At 22 years of age, he is said to be one of the youngest and most lethal wanted criminals in the country. With offenses such as drug dealing, extortion, and at least 9 accounted murders, the search for Wolfe Sterling continues. The punishment, as of yet, remains the death sentence for any Crowns member. Bounty for the capture of Wolfe Sterling remains at $250,000 and the bounty for an associate of the Crowns has been kicked up to $200,000.

So he's worth $50,000 more than his friends? How pretentious.

A sharp rap on the door interrupted my research.

I looked up and my heart dropped to my toes. An erratic beating took over, pushing out the calm silence I had been sitting in for the past half hour. The figure that was standing at the glass door was a face I never wanted to see again. It was Brice (aka Beardy) from yesterday afternoon, with a really cool beard and a really mean personality. He rapped his knuckles on the door again, impatiently waiting to get in.

Well, he wasn't going to get in.

Forcing a smile on my face, I waved cheerfully and went right back to reading. I tried to make it look as disinterested in him as possible, even though reading was the last thing I could do. My stomach clenched with fear. What was I supposed to do? Just let him wander in when I was all alone, defenseless, in a building that now his boss owned? Invite him in for coffee when he had a gun? Have a little chat about intimidation tactics while I braided his beard? Definitely not. Even though I did want to braid his beard- oh, never mind. I was terrified and every part of my mind was buzzing with either trying to find an escape route or deciding whether or not to call the police.

When I looked up again, Brice was gone.

Breathing a sigh of relief, I went back to reading the news article.

The rest of the Crowns members remain unidentified. Police have begun working with federal agents to unmask the faces of the rest of the mobsters. Being at a standstill for the past year, police hope to figure out who is helping Wolfe Sterling in his acts of violence and terror. As of yesterday afternoon, a lookout for any members of the Crowns, including Wolfe Sterling, has been issued to the city of Brooklyn. New York City police chief Isabelle Thorne has released the statement as follows:

"We beg the community to remain calm. We are doing all we can to stop the fear bought along with the untimely arrival of the Brooklyn Crowns. The only way to do that is to put these dangerous criminals behind bars. I assure the city of Brooklyn and all of the citizens that we are handling this situation with the utmost importance-"

"When Brice asks you to open the door-" A cold voice spoke from behind me. "-I expect you to listen to him."

Slamming my laptop shut, I whirled around to see none other than Wolfe Sterling step through the basement door. Behind him stood Brice.

For a second, I was too stunned to even speak. I couldn't even think straight. All I could do was sit there as Wolfe walked towards me, my throat choked up with surprise, my heart beating hard and fast, and my stomach twisting with unease. What do I do? What could I do, really? Cry? Beg for mercy? I was ready to do both if it kept me alive. I valued Twizzlers too much to let them go this soon in my life.

And, as always, my mouth got the best of me and probably destroyed the only chance I had to stay alive. "Okay, no." I said nervously. My palms were clammy, only adding to the discomfort I felt under the piercing glare of Wolfe's icy eyes. "First of all, I didn't have to open the door if I didn't want to. And I didn't want to, so I didn't open the door."

Brice pushed the basement door closed with the back of his shoes, causing the wooden door to slam closed harder than was necessary. I flinched, sitting even straighter up as Wolfe and Brice slowly walked to where I was. It took a lot of effort to do that because I wanted to crawl under the table and die there if it kept me safe from Wolfe Sterling.

What was I supposed to do now? Doors weren't going to keep them out. They probably came in through the tunnels. Again, how they managed to do that, I'd never know. In the five years I'd been here, I couldn't make it past the first tunnel. And here they were, not a day in, and they could already navigate the place like a flock of pigeons. It was so unfair.

"Florence, do not think I am above hurting you." Wolfe growled. My eyes followed him, alert and cautious, as he walked around the table and took a seat across from me. Brice remained standing behind Wolfe, playing the all tough guy security guard with his hands clasped in front of him and a stern look on his face. Wolfe watched me carefully. "We're not to be taken lightly. For the sake of your parents and this business, watch your words. I won't tolerate your smart comments."

Well, I definitely had some certain smart comments that I wanted to make here, but the little sliver of fear in my stomach kept me from voicing them. Fixing a composed look on my face, I watched Wolfe back. If anything, he looked even better than he did yesterday. In a black suit with a white button down, his throat was exposed and I felt the sudden urge to run my fingers along his skin and see if his body was worth his words.

Finally, after the silence got to be too much, I spoke. "What are you doing here?"

His dark eyes flickered with amusement, something funny that he noticed when no one else did. Or maybe he was just making light of a situation turned dark. For me, at least. Here, Wolfe had all the power. The news article was floating around in my head, a little warning. These were dangerous men. I couldn't talk my way out of this. Being here alone especially brought out the fight-or-flight instinct in me. Fight? I wouldn't win. Flight? Definitely.

"What are you working on?" He asked, completely ignoring my question as if it meant nothing.

They were both staring at me. I was so uncomfortable.

"Nothing." I said nervously. Why would Wolfe even care? What kind of small talk was this? I didn't want to talk to Wolfe at all. I just wanted to leave. His presence was intimidating enough. His words were worse, each one holding an underlying threat to be played out if he so pleased. Even his appearance was gut-clenching. I hated it. Picking up my bag, I began to carefully put my supplies inside.

I had most of my homework inside when Wolfe suddenly snatched up a sheet of paper that was under my copy of Hamlet. It was the New York University application I picked up from the tour. I meant to fill it out but work got in the way. And now, Wolfe was reading through it with undeniable interest.

"College?" He smirked. "I thought you were still in middle school."

My mouth dropped open as Brice began giggling behind Wolfe's back, who was now watching my reaction with amusement. I stood up, thoroughly disgruntled. Leaning over the table, I snatched the paper out of his hands. "Aren't you, like, 40 or something?" I snapped, shoving the application deep into my bag. "Get out, grandpa."

"That's cute."

"Do you hear that?" I suddenly interrupted. Sticking my finger up into the air, I pretended to be listening intently. Wolfe and Brice did too, looking alert. After a moment of nothing but silence, I continued. "That's the sound of me not caring."

Wolfe frowned. "You're intolerable."

"The feeling is mutual, babe."

"Shut up, Florence."

"Make me!" I snapped back.

We had a brief stare-off until Brice interrupted. He was leaning against the counter, looking bored out of his mind. His beard was really remarkable, though. I liked his beard more than I liked him. It was very lumberjack-y and braidable. "So are you guys gonna start fucking now or-"

I choked on my spit and Wolfe fixed him with an icy warning glare. Brice laughed at me but instantly became serious once he caught the look from his boss.

After I was over my initial embarrassment, I didn't want to deal with Wolfe or Brice anymore, so I made sure I had everything I needed, grabbed my coffee, and made my way to the kitchen to get a refill before leaving. Unfortunately, they weren't done with me. In fact, Wolfe and Brice began following me to the kitchen like a couple of gun-wielding famous criminal puppies. They literally stood up and tagged along as if I had invited them, trailing along a few feet behind me and whispering to each other like middle school best friends. It was ridiculous.

I whirled around, seething. "What are you doing?"

They both stopped and looked surprised. 

"What?" Brice asked innocently.

"Don't 'what' me." I glared at him, and then to Wolfe, who was trying not to smirk but failed to cover up his mirth. They were getting on my nerves. I was already to the end of my rope after they threatened my parents and I didn't feel like going at it again with them, especially since I was alone. "You have no reason to be here, Brice. Tell that to your fuckface boss as well-"

"His what?" Wolfe unfortunately caught my words. He glared at me, eyes a mix between amusement and anger. Brice's mouth dropped open and he backed away, hands held up in surrender as if he had no part in this. "Would you like to repeat that, Florence?"

I smiled sweetly at Wolfe. "No, but I would like to do something else."

The look of a challenge brightened his eyes. Not holding amusement now, but just complete curiosity. Wolfe followed my every movement, mentally calculating the distance needed to follow through with his actions. However, he couldn't calculate the element of surprise.

I kept the grin on my face and picked up my coffee. Prying the lid off, it was then that Wolfe began to figure out what I was going to do. But at that point, it was too late.

Picking up the cup, I splashed the rest of the coffee right over Wolfe Sterling's beautiful face.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 34 14
‼️WARNING‼️ 🔞Don't read if not above 18 or sensitive to sexual content 🔞 Francesca Knight At the young age of 13, on her birthday her father kille...
113K 6.9K 100
An eleven-year-old Mimi can see demons. She finds one feeding on a mafia boss, unconscious and bleeding out against her favorite breakfast dumpster...
6.2K 169 23
Katerina Petrov, a 23 year old woman working in Miami at her coffee shop selling morning coffee and a little kick under the table to the local deale...
23.4K 1.1K 65
Maya owned a hair salon in New York. She recently wanted to go for law and had an interview with the boss. Walking in she didn't know this would be...