Fear, Hunger and Cosmic Horro...

By VonLeporace

The Gods chose me, for them this is just a game, a play, a source of entertainment, for me, it's a life and d... More

Chapter 1 - The Call of the Dungeon
Chapter 2 - Dungeons and Dungeons
Chapter 3 - A Small Light in the Darkness
Chapter 4 - Where Do We Go From Here?
Chapter 5 - With Friends Like These Who Needs Enemies?
Chapter 6 - Next Stop, Le'garde! Unfortunately...
Chapter 7 - The Stage Is Set
Chapter 9 - Trying Not to Die
Chapter 10 - Cave Exploration
Chapter 11 - Towards the Depths
Chapter 12 - Unexpected Consequences
Chapter 13 - A Mage and an Alchemist
Chapter 14 - An Enlightening Conversation

Chapter 8 - A Shakespearean Tragedy

529 44 9
By VonLeporace

Chapter 8 - A Shakespearean Tragedy

"RRAAHH!"

With a scream of rage, Iron Shakespeare charged towards us, trying to hit us with his shoulder.

Ragnvaldr was the first to move out of the way, leaping to the side, sending the Iron Shakespeare straight past, but not before cutting the great knight's left arm with his axe, leaving a wound oozing blood.

Unfortunately, this wasn't enough to stop Iron Shakespeare's advance, as the knight continued running towards us.

Somersaulting to the side, Cahara was the second to move out of the way, leaving a gash on the knight right leg in the process.

Iron Shakespeare stumbled in the middle of his run upon receiving the blow, but he soon regained his balance and continued advancing towards his targets, namely D'arce, the Girl and me.

Without wasting time, D'arce and I walked away in opposite directions; simultaneously I grabbed the girl by the shoulder, pulling her away.

A crash of shattering metal and stone echoed through the hallway as the Iron Shakespeare collided with the gooey wall next to where we previously stood.

The impact left the knight stunned for a few seconds, long enough for D'arce to strike the knight in the back, releasing a jet of blood and leaving behind a large bloody cut.

However, to D'arce's surprise, Iron Shakespeare quickly turned around and threw a flaming punch directly at her. Seeing that there was no way to dodge, D'arce did something that confused me.

She let out a war cry, assumed a slightly crouched stance with her shield raised in front of her face. The moment the punch hit the shield, a bell-like sound accompanied by a burst of flames occurred.

I expected D'arce to fly away with her broken arm.

What I didn't expect was the knight enduring the blow but being sent backwards with her feet sliding across the ground and steam rising from her shield. When D'arce stopped, she snapped out of her stance while swinging her stricken arm in pain, but other than that and the scorched shield, she appeared unharmed.

Wait? Did she just use one of the game's skills? Defensive Stance?

I was brought out of my stupor when Ragnvaldr and Cahara ran past D'arce and charged towards the knight, the Iron Shakespeare letting out a defiant shout and Ragnvaldr returning with his own.

Upon seeing the two enemies advancing, Iron Shakespeare raised his fists and tried to crush both opponents, which caused them to stop in their run to avoid being hit.

With that, Ragnvaldr and Cahara escaped the blunt of the blow, but were burned by the flames that exploded out of the punch. With his enemies off balance, Iron Shakespeare charged forward with his fist raised, attempting to crush Cahara.

The mercenary managed to dodge the blow, but I saw him make a face of pain as the flames licked his body. However, by being focused on Cahara, Iron Shakespeare left himself open for Ragnvaldr's blow that hit him in the left arm.

D'arce decided to take advantage of the opening, because as soon as Iron Shakespeare shifted his focus towards Ragnvaldr, the knight slashed Iron Shakespeare in the chest, causing him to let out a cry of pain.

Nevertheless, recovering from the strike, Iron Shakespeare delivered a powerful blow to drive away his attackers. With a swift movement, Iron Shakespeare spun like a top as he charged towards Ragnvaldr and D'arce, leaving behind trails of fire in the air.

Both were caught off guard by the blow, only having time to raise their shields, and this time, D'arce was unable to change her stance and use her skill.

With screams of pain, Ragnvaldr and D'arce were sent flying, with flames engulfing their bodies, as soon as they hit the ground; they rolled from side to side, putting out the flames.

My attention was caught when I felt someone pulling my hand. Looking down, I saw the girl staring at me with wide eyes as she pointed at the fight-taking place.

Holy crap! I've been watching this whole time?!? Why I didn't do anything?!? I... I... Fighting an undead or mumbler is one thing, but Iron Shakespeare is a boss!

Shifting my focus to the fight, I saw Cahara trying to fight Iron Shakespeare, but the knight was pressing him with a series of flaming blows, he was slowly pushing Cahara against the wall.

Shit! My mind is low! I don't know how many spells I can use before I go crazy, but I can't just stand here!

"Girl, I need you to hide!" I said as I pointed to a stone pillar lying on the ground next to the two of us.

With a look of hesitation, the girl nodded slowly before running behind the pillar and watching me from the corner of it.

Letting out a nervous sigh, I drew my rapier and prepared myself for what I was about to do.

"Finally decided to act?" Kitab asked.

"Yes, but I am regretting my decision."

"You're only saying this now, but the moment you get a taste of a real fight, you won't stop."

"I have to disagree. The more things between me and whoever is trying to kill me, the better. But we have wasted enough time, it's time to act."

"Hehehe! So act! I'm here for it, after all!"

Cahara slammed his back against the wall and Iron Shakespeare raised his fist, ready to deliver the final blow, but before he did that, I cast Glimmer of Truth and Cats of Ulthar right after.

Iron Shakespeare's head was enveloped in green smoke, causing the knight to stop his swing and scream in despair as he tried to hit what the smoke showed him.

Taking advantage of this moment, Cahara ran away, but not before searching the Iron Shakespeare armor for something, with a cry of satisfaction, Cahara came running to my side.

Just in time to get out of the way of the cats running towards Iron Shakespeare. With distorted meows, the monstrous cats leapt at Iron Shakespeare, trying to pierce his armor with their teeth and claws.

The great knight struggled as he tried to get the cats off him.

"Thanks man, you saved my life there." Cahara said to me in a relieved tone.

However, even hearing this, I didn't pay attention.

"Man?" Cahara asked worriedly.

Nevertheless, I wasn't listening, Cahara's voice was distorted, it sounded as if someone was talking underwater and what's more, there was a series of noises drowning out Cahara's voice, noises originating from the things I was seeing.

I was in the hallway, but the environment around me was completely different.

The walls made of slime gave way to a large corridor made of flesh, a purple and black flesh that gave the impression of having been rotten for a long time, but even though it looked rotten and dead, the walls, floor and ceiling pulsated with life.

But the smell! My God! The smell!

THUMP!

THUMP!

THUMP!

The hallway pulsated, the walls undulated with the rhythm of the beat, and I felt my body rise and fall as whatever was pulsing passed beneath my feet.

The noise of the pulsation was deafening, it was the loudest noise I had heard in my entire life, louder than any music, yet the pulsation was as if it were music, divine music, and disturbing music.

Whatever creature this pulsation belonged to, it was something big, dangerous, but at the same time, wonderful.

THUMP!

THUMP!

THUMP!

It wasn't just the walls that changed; the stone pillars too, the gray stone disappeared, giving way to large yellowed and diseased bones, cracked and with holes and black spots similar to cavities, but even with their fragile appearance, they remained standing, connected to the floor and ceiling, resisting the pulsation.

THUMP!

THUMP!

THUMP!

The pulsation got louder, the music got louder.

I felt something crawling up my leg, looking down; I saw a sea of insects passing by my feet, centipedes, cockroaches, and beetles. In the air, flies and mosquitoes covered my vision.

These insects crossed the corridor in large rows that looked like a sea of dark dots; they climbed the walls and ceiling, undulating with the pulsation. Moreover, coming from the insects, a loud, high-pitched buzzing sound reached my ears.

BBBZZZ!

BBBZZZ!

BBBZZZ!

THUMP!

THUMP!

THUMP!

The insects devoured the rotting flesh and diseased bones that made up the corridor, with wet, sickening noises; they sank into the flesh of the walls, causing purple blood to drip towards the floor.

With loud cracks, they gnawed at the bones, letting a fine yellow powder fall like snow into the sea of insects below.

The music continued and a new instrument was added to the symphony.

THUMP!

THUMP!

THUMP!

BBBZZZ!

BBBZZZ!

BBBZZZ!

Amid the wonderful symphony I was listening to, new spectators joined me to watch the show. Shadowy figures walked beside me, varying in height, and from the contours of their bodies, I identified some as male and female.

Beings made of shadows, but transparent, passed me and walked towards the large door at the end of the corridor.

They whispered in my ears, but I couldn't understand, but I felt like it was something I shouldn't know, but I wanted to know, I wanted to understand, I wanted them to tell me.

A female figure grabbed my leg, another my waist, another hugged me, wrapping her arms around my neck.

The whispers grew louder, mixed with laughter; a new instrument was added to the symphony.

THUMP!

THUMP!

THUMP!

BBBZZZ!

BBBZZZ!

BBBZZZ!

HAHAHA!

HAHAHA!

HAHAHA!

It was wonderful, it was disturbing, it was pleasant, it was deafening, the pulsation continued incessantly like a drum announcing the arrival of something divine.

Insects devoured everything in their path, the sound of flesh and bones being gnawed into dust was like the strings of a violin, calming those who came to witness what was about to happen.

The whispers and laughter that attacked my ears filled me with pleasure, I felt all the weight being lifted from my shoulders, and it was as if all the problems in my life had gone away.

THUMP!

THUMP!

THUMP!

BBBZZZ!

BBBZZZ!

BBBZZZ!

HAHAHA!

HAHAHA!

HAHAHA!

At the end of the corridor, the large stone door slowly opened, accompanied by a blinding white light, and what I saw on the other side left me in awe.

A golden city, great buildings made of stone and gold, with sunlight illuminating the beautiful constructions with rays that shone through the clouds and in the center of it all, I saw a large square where shadowy figures converged and there they danced.

They danced madly in front of a large statue in the center of the square; it was a statue with four sides and on each side a face representing a different being.

The symphony grew louder.

THUMP!

THUMP!

THUMP!

BBBZZZ!

BBBZZZ!

BBBZZZ!

HAHAHA!

HAHAHA!

HAHAHA!

For a moment, the shadowy figures stopped dancing and turned towards me, slowly some of them extended their hands towards me, as if wanting me to hold them.

They were calling me, calling me to participate in the dance. And deep down, that's what I wanted. I wanted to dance too, dance for all eternity in this divine city, to dance without having to worry about anything else.

Two more female figures appeared in front of me and each one of them grabbed one of my hands and pulled me towards the gate.

The music got louder and more frantic.

THUMP!

THUMP!

THUMP!

BBBZZZ!

BBBZZZ!

BBBZZZ!

HAHAHA!

HAHAHA!

HAHAHA!

As I advanced, the voices whispering in my ear became clearer.

"Come! Join us!"

"Dance with us, dance for all eternity!"

"In the city of the gods, in the city where all secrets will be revealed to you!"

THUMP!

THUMP!

THUMP!

BBBZZZ!

BBBZZZ!

BBBZZZ!

HAHAHA!

HAHAHA!

HAHAHA!

Yes! That's what I wanted! To dance for all eternity! To dance in front of the gods! To dance so that one day they would reveal to me a fraction of their knowledge.

Slowly I walked towards the gate.

THUMP!

THUMP!

THUMP!

BBBZZZ!

BBBZZZ!

BBBZZZ!

HAHAHA!

HAHAHA!

HAHAHA!

"Man! What are you doing?"

"Boy! Wake up!"

"What is wrong with you?"

However, in the midst of my advance, I heard a series of voices calling me. Nevertheless, whom did these voices belong to? I didn't know, I didn't care.

I kept moving forward.

"Has he gone mad?!?"

"Someone stop him! I'm busy with this thing!"

"Leave it to me!"

SLAP!

"OUCH! Son of a..."

SLAP!

"Wake up!"

"What?!?"

As if awakened from a dream, I woke up confused with the world around me, for a moment I wondered where I was, until everything came back to me.

D'arce! Cahara! Rag! The girl! The Iron Shakespeare! What the fuck am I doing here?!?

"Are you back to us or I will need to hit you again?!?" D'arce asked worriedly, with one hand on my shoulder and the other raised.

"No! No! I've already returned to the real world!" I responded, raising my hands defensively.

"Excellent! Now if you'll excuse me, I have to help those two!" D'arce responded with a relieved smile, running towards Iron Shakespeare soon after.

"Have you finally decided to come back to us, boy?"

"Kitab, what happened?"

"I'll be honest with you kid, your mind is almost at zero, if you cast one more spell, no matter what it is, you'll go crazy for good."

"But... But what about the Iron Shakespeare?"

"If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it, that guy is on his last legs."

Looking at Iron Shakespeare, I realized what Kitab meant. The knight was almost dead, his armor cut, crushed and covered in blood, his blows were slower and the flames in his fists were weaker.

D'arce, Rag and Cahara didn't seem to need help; they weren't too injured and were pressing the Iron Shakespeare with different fighting styles.

Cahara ran around Iron Shakespeare, delivering quick blows around the knight's body, Rag stayed close, dodging Iron Shakespeare's blows and delivering heavy hits with his axe.

D'arce, on the other hand, had a more balanced style, dodging and blocking Iron Shakespeare's blows and attacking during openings.

Looking towards the fallen pillar behind me, I saw the girl watching me, I waved to her, indicating that I was okay and the girl waved back.

Well, I think it's time to put an end to this, but I can't cast any spells and no way that I'll engage the Iron Shakespeare in hand-to-hand combat.

However, I remembered something, there was something running around the dungeon that I could use, so with a mental command, I called the rats.

From the ceiling, in a small green light, a series of ghostly rats fell to the floor in front of me and pointing Kitab towards Iron Shakespeare, I ordered the rats to attack.

Closing the distance and passing by the feet of the combatants, the rats ran towards Iron Shakespeare and jumped onto his chest, passing his armor.

For a moment, nothing happened, until Iron Shakespeare screamed in agony as the rats devoured his insides. Shouts of pain and despair echoed through the hall as the great knight struggled in vain.

Taking advantage of this opportunity, I saw D'arce using another of her skills, D'arce's left leg turned into a blur as she tripped the Iron Shakespeare.

Then I had a vision of how superhuman the people of this world could be, as D'arce's sweep passed through Iron Shakespeare's armor, throwing shards of metal, flesh and bone to the side, causing Iron Shakespeare to fall to the ground.

In addition, with a cry of fury, Ragnvaldr struck the final blow, sinking his ax into Iron Shakespeare's head; the great knight shuddered for a moment, until he fell motionless to the ground.

Plucking his ax from his enemy's head, Ragnvaldr let out a relieved sigh as he breathed heavily. Cahara wiped the sweat from his forehead, with a nervous smile, while D'arce sheathed her sword while clasping both hands together, praying.

I, on the other hand, sat on top of the fallen pillar where the girl was hiding. Seeing that the knight was killed, the girl came out of her hiding place and sat down next to me, placing a hand on my arm.

"Don't worry, I'm fine... But still, thank you..." I replied between breaths of air.

Nevertheless, we were all taken from our moment of rest when the walls that prevented our exit sank into the ground, freeing our passage.

"Well... Enough wasting time..." I said to myself as I stood up with shaky legs.

I felt the girl holding my arm tighter, but I continued walking anyway.

"Hey, where are you going?" Cahara asked, putting a hand on my shoulder.

"After the bastard who caused us so much trouble." I replied as I walked towards the cell.

Entering the dark gray stone corridor, I kicked the door in front of me open, with a metallic noise of the door slamming against the wall. Holding back a cry of pain, I stepped aside, letting the others enter the cell. .

In addition, in front of us, lying on the ground and wearing armor, was the man we came after, Grif... I mean, Le'garde.

"Le'garde!" D'arce shouted with a joyful smile as she saw her beloved alive and breathing.

"Well, mission accomplished! Time to get my reward!" Cahara shouted, raising a fist in the air.

"Finally..." Ragnvaldr muttered.

D'arce took a step towards Le'garde, but Ragnvaldr was faster, passing the knight, Ragnvaldr wrapped his hands around Le'garde's neck and squeezed it tightly.

Le'garde's eyes opened and the Mercenary Leader widened his eyes in surprise at the lack of air as he weakly placed his hands on Ragnvaldr's face, trying to push him away.

"What are you doing?!?" D'arce shouted, drawing her sword and pointing it at Ragnvaldr.

"Hey, I need this guy alive!" Cahara shouted, drawing his scimitar.

However, Ragnvaldr ignored him; he continued squeezing Le'garde's neck.

I felt the girl squeezing my arm even tighter, looking down, I saw that she was about to cry, well, even though Le'garde is a horrible person, he is still the girl's father and someone trying to kill her father in front of her It's not a pretty sight.

"PPSSHH! Hey, boy!"

"Not a good time, Kitab!"

"It sure is one, because you just got a new spell!"

"Show me." I said with a sigh.

"The Color from Outer Space: Use the mysterious properties of the meteorite that fell from the ether of space. Flip a coin and choose a side, if you win, you will receive a permanent strength boost, if you miss, you will also get a permanent strength boost but you will suffer a mutation. The higher the value of the coin, the greater the increase in strength, but the greater will be the mutation if you miss."

I can't say if I'm happy to have won this spell, it's a gamble that I don't know if I'm willing to risk.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to think about it, as D'arce, Ragnvaldr and Cahara were about to kill each other.

Well, time to defuse this bomb before it explodes.

END OF CHAPTER

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.2K 1.2K 38
It had been so many long, gruelling decades since the takeover... Every human leader was massacred and society was left broken and fearful... Then...
716 91 21
Hi. I'm Jones. My life was hard enough without being chosen to revive a bunch of gods. According to some ancient prophecy, I'm supposed to...
7.6K 185 40
For centuries, I've ruled my kingdom with an iron fist. I've enjoyed torturing souls and demons for the fun of it. I'm the feared and cunning ruler o...
7.3K 239 29
For as Long as I could remember, I've wished that i could read people out of books, stories and T.V shows. but what would you do if your 1 wish, the...