A Flight of Broken Wings: Aer...

By Nupur_C

Six hundred years ago, humanity rose up in revolt against the Aeriels. They were driven from earth - and back... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
The Aeriel Trilogy #2: A Call for Brighter Days
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Book 2: Continued

Chapter 132

0 0 0
By Nupur_C

The building shuddered under the force of the blast, the wall against which he had been standing reduced to ash and dust. Ruban staggered, trying to find his feet, trying to process what had just happened.

For a moment, he thought it was Ashwin who had pushed him out of the way. But that couldn't be right. Ashwin would have been behind them, where he had left him when he approached Tauheen to reclaim his blade. And yet he knew with absolute certainty that whatever had shoved him out of the way of the blast had come from the side.

He frowned, disoriented, even as something soft collapsed heavily against his feet. The stench of scorched flesh filled his nostrils, making him dizzy.

He looked down, confused, and retched violently, biting down on his lip hard enough to draw blood.

His uncle lay at his feet, whimpering, his back a mess of charred flesh and blood, bits of bone visible under the carnage.

Ruban dropped to his knees even as another soft moan escaped Subhas's bloodless lips. His eyeballs had rolled back in his head and tears streaked his grimy face, although his eyes were dry now. He was gasping, and flinching with every gasp, as if it hurt him to breathe.

Gently, Ruban took his uncle's face into his hands, placing his head on his own lap as carefully as he could. A blast sounded somewhere in the distance, but he didn't care. Some rational part of him told him that he should, that Tauheen would take this opportunity to finish them both off. But rationality was beyond him at this point. Another part of him wondered if there was anything at all left to fight for. And if not, then why bother?

Subhas's lips parted, moved, but no words came out, just a sort of formless gurgle, accompanied by some blood. Ruban felt hot tears singe his face, blurring his vision, but he barely had the strength to wipe them off. With the little energy he had left, he ran his fingers through his uncle's thinning hair, trying to give comfort he knew he didn't have the power to provide.

"It's okay," he said. He was saying it over and over again, the words tasting false on his tongue. Meaningless. Nonetheless, he couldn't bring himself to stop. "It's okay. We'll get you out of here. Get you back home. You'll be alright." It was like a mantra, a chant almost religious for the fervent hope it inspired in his broken soul. If he said it enough times, maybe it would turn out to be true.

Once again, his uncle's lips moved. Ruban brought his head down, his forehead almost touching the other man's nose. A sob threatened to escape him, but he couldn't let himself cry. Not now. If he bit any harder, he thought his teeth would cut clean through his lip. He wondered, discordantly, what Simani would say about that.

"I'm sorry," Subhas said at last, the words barely a whisper brushing Ruban's ear. Ruban shook his head, his eyes beseeching his uncle to understand what he couldn't say. That it didn't matter, not now. That he loved him. But his throat was locked up, a giant lump lodged somewhere over his vocal chords that made it impossible for him to speak. If he tried, Ruban thought that he might scream.

"I'm sorry," Subhas said again, voice slightly stronger. His fingers gripped one of Ruban's hands with surprising strength, and he pulled him closer. Ruban went willingly.

With a long, rattling breath that seemed to cost him all he had left, Subhas parted his lips one more time. Almost desperately, Ruban leaned closer, all but pressing his tear-streaked face into his uncle's shoulder. "What is it? What can I do?" he asked, forcing the words out of his clogged throat.

Subhas choked, coughed, spitting blood into Ruban's face, his hair. After a blood-soaked eternity, he murmured, still retching copper: "Take care of Hiya. Ruban, please, take care of my daughter."

Ruban wanted to tell him that he would. Wanted to promise him that he would never let her out of his sight again. Wanted to say a million other inconsequential things that he hadn't said because he'd thought they had time. Because he'd thought he had a lifetime.

But there was no point. Subhas was gone. His moans had quieted. His wracking gasps had stilled.

Trembling, Ruban ran a hand over his uncle's blood and dirt stained face, sliding his eyes shut. As gently as he could, he lifted the body and lay it down on the floor amidst the dust and debris of the destroyed wall.

Thenhe stood and turned back to face the Aeriels.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

96.2K 7.4K 39
Two neighboring clans. A raging war. Amidst the threat of defeat, the matriarch proposes a truce by marrying her daughter to the enemy clan. However...
243 33 13
Twenty-two years after The Liberation War, humans and half-Elves live in freedom. Free from slavery to the Elves, and free to live in peace. But, a...
327 40 16
2nd Place in The Dragon Fire Awards 3rd Place in Science Fiction in the Tricolour Terrenial Awards. " No one was truly your own in this world. Everyo...