Road of the Lonely Ones ✸ Pau...

By screamstu

I must've done something wrong to be left so lonely. Twilight / Paul Lahote screamstu, 2023 More

Road of the Lonely Ones!
Vol I, Eat and am Eaten
000. Cigarette Psychology
002. Torn Dead
003. Madness and Honey
004. Remarkably Human
005. Taste of Cruelty
006. Roadkill
007. Deer Heart

001. Metal Angel Wings

208 10 0
By screamstu

Perhaps she was a witch of some sort. I mean, she seemed to have killed her mother and must have put some spell on her family which made them act different around her. That and the fact the devil seemed to have gifted her a familiar, a witch's companion. A small, black, scruffy cat. It appeared everywhere she went. Outside the cafe, by her bedroom window, underneath the wheels of her car ( the stupid thing ). It was a nuisance; didn't have a collar, the vets wouldn't take it, and no one claimed it. Saskia was starting to wonder where it came from since it never left her alone. She didn't know what to do with it. Well, her. She stepped out her front door, ready to go to her shift and there she was. She huffed out an angry breath from her nose as it stretched forward and strutted towards her, brushing itself against her legs and purring loudly. She tried to stay angry, tried to ignore her presence. But as it sat in front of her with its pink little nose, huge dark eyes, and ears twitching with a chunk missing from one: she couldn't help herself but bend down and scratch behind its soft ears, the purrs growing louder. Sas had to smile a little. She needed to give it a name.

"You shouldn't touch that thing" A voice startled her and she snapped herself upright in surprise. It seemed everyone was creeping up on her nowadays. "It could have flees."

"I'll take that chance." She said as she pulled the cat to her chest and stared at the boy in front of her. "You're just prejudiced, I mean you're practically a dog anyway."

"Why'd you say that?" He smiled gently, tilting his head to the side.

"Always running away from me, dirty, needy-"

"Needy?" He chuckled, She sighed.

"How you been, Jake?" Saskia says shortly, her newly blonde hair whipping her face as the cold winds hit her. Her eyes were still on the small cat in her arms.

"Why'd you ask that like we didn't used to explore the forests every day when we were six?" He questions confused. His words affected her more than they should have. Her mind went back to the days with a young Jacob Black, his hand holding hers leading her through the trees, ignoring her pleas of begging to go back, claiming she was scared. But Jake would ignore her, dragging her further into the depths of the forests. His sister's old boots on her feet and her brother's old jacket on his shoulders. Practically family. Saskia's chest constricts at the memory. The cold air whipped her harder, now piercing her ears as they rang. Things were different now. She was a maniac. He was just Jake. Still the long-haired, playful puppy of a boy. Except now they watched each other from a distance, not in each other's hands.

"Things change, you and Charlie's girl, yeah?" She was green. Filled with envy. She missed him.

"Bella-" He corrected.

"Look, Jake, I really need to get to work, okay?"

"No, you still have 20 minutes." He knew her too well. She didn't like being late, and always got there 10 minutes early no matter the circumstances. She sighed. "Come on, Sas" He gave her a look, with those dark innocent eyes. She groaned out loud, throwing her head back. He smirked, he knew he had won. "I'll give you a ride."

"Fine"

The ride to the cafe was short, silence filled the car. She nervously twisted her rings. She wasn't sure why she was so nervous. It was Jake! Her best friend of twelve years! God, she was being so stupid. She didn't wait for him to turn off the car before she jumped out, grabbing a cigarette from the pocket of her large leather bag, and reaching for the lighter in her jacket. Saskia trudged ahead of him, reaching the area where she normally smoked, and leaned her back against the wall, still not looking up at him and he caught up with her.

"Still smoking, huh?" Jacob questioned, glancing down at all the cigarette butts laying on the ground around her feet, her signature cherry red chapstick painting the end of each of them.

"It's only been a few weeks, Jake, I haven't changed that much" Lies, her mother died, she was put on more medication, her dad now couldn't stand her. Oh, how badly she wanted to put her heart out to him right then and there. "Don't act like you're so innocent either."

"Hey, that was one time and you dared me" He defended himself while smiling. It was easy to slip back into their old ways. She was chuckling, though it didn't feel as real as he wanted it to be. Her eyes were vacant of any real emotion. Jake caught on quickly.

"How doped up are you?" He was frustrated, at her father. This wasn't his Saskia, this Saskia was just a body, a shell of a person.

"Jake-"

"You don't need to take all those pills-"

"That's not for you to decide!" She said in annoyance. He didn't understand.

"Just-"

"I'm not discussing this with you anymore" Sas muttered, dismissing him, Jake only pursed his lips. The silence with thick, unmissable. It was being stuffed down her throat and shoved into her ears. There was no shooting star or angel number for her to wish upon, so it was no use trying to ask the ground to swallow her up whole. She reckons life would be easier if she were an angel, though there was no doubt she'd be a terrible one. The burden of herself would weigh down her wings, too heavy, too troubled, too sinful, she'd be dragged straight down to the devil's den.

"You should name the cat Salem" Jake interrupted her thoughts, bringing her back to the land of the living.

"What?"

"That cat, the one that is always hanging around you" She stepped on the end of her cigarette and glanced up at him. "You should call it Salem"

"Why?" She was on edge, defensive, maybe he thought she was crazy, a witch. Why else would he suggest that name? Oh no, the one person she thought wouldn't want to burn her at the stake, now thinks she some sort of crazy sorceress, made by Beelzebub himself. Why did this keep happening? She was losing everyone. Her mother, her brothers, her father, and now-

"You used to love all that stuff in school." He said simply. Oh. History was her favourite. Of course he didn't forget.

"I've, um, I've got to get to work now" She stumbled across her words. He smiled softly.

"Okay, come down to the Rez soon, my dad misses you too" With that he turned away. Walking away leaving her gaping like a fish.

Too.

Did that mean Jake missed her as well?

Confusion seemed to be a feeling she was becoming all too familiar with these days. Confusion from Paul, confusion from Edward, confusion from Jake, and confusion from her family. And now: Alice Cullen, in the cafe, on a Saturday. An occurrence that had never before happened. It hurt Saskia's brain greatly. But she continued working, making sure everything was done in a particular order, otherwise her brain would tell her how her whole family would die if not ( maybe she did need to up her dose of OCD medication ). Her bewilderment stuck with her, blu tacked to her body as her skin prickled. Why was she here?

Perhaps she was overthinking this. No, she was definitely overthinking this. People can go for coffee ( well tea in Alice's case ) any time of the week, right? But she never came in on Saturday. It wasn't how things were meant to be, it was unlike her. Sas felt as if a tennis match was happening inside her brain, the ball constantly bashing her cranium back and forth, a headache brewing from all the thoughts bouncing across the court that was the inside of her head. The spontaneity of the Cullen girls visit was causing her way too much stress for a Saturday morning. Christ, this was ridiculous. Sas had calmed herself just enough to carry on with her work, but it didn't stop her heart from racing as Alice made her way up to the counter.

"Twice in two days, to what do I owe the pleasure, Miss Cullen?" Saskia put on a facade, she was relieved Alice couldn't hear the racing of her blood pumping faster than ever around her body. Her heart ready to explode.

"I've heard a lot about you, Miss Sanders." Alice giggled, leaning against the counter.

"Yeah, your brother said something similar" She mumbled, uncertainty still floating in the air. "Oh, are you trying to recruit me into your family because as much as I'd love Doctor 'matchmaker' Cullen to find me a husband, Edwards is not really my type, much too slender" Again, she didn't know where this confidence had come from to ramble on to a stranger, yet here she was.

"No, no not that" Alice laughed again at the blonde girl in front of her, though her expression changed quickly into one of worry. "I just wanted to ask how you are."

"How I am?" There was that confusion again. She barely knew the Cullens, why did they care?

Alice hummed while nodding.

"I'm-uh I'm fine, how are you?" Saskia didn't exactly know how to respond. Feeling lost during this whole conversation.

"I'm good, Saskia, thank you." Alice said politely, a soft smile never falling from her face. "Please be careful."

There those words were again. First Edward, now his sister. They had to know something. Her mind was filled with static, nothing connecting or making sense. Everything they were saying seemed so cryptic. Did they need her to work this out by herself? Why did she need to be careful? Couldn't they at least tell her what to be aware of?

Alice's slim figure turned to leave, her worry-filled eyes finally leaving Saskia. Who had suddenly snapped out her trance, and reached across the counter to grab Alice's wrist. She needed to know more. As skin touched skin, Saskia froze. The static disappears. It felt as if her blood had turned to ice. The feeling was terrible; she shivered, her teeth chattering, limbs locked. Her life was on pause. Her heart stopped beating for a minute. A minute of pain and suffering. She was like a reptile: cold-blooded. Her head was heavy and weighing her down, as if someone had replaced her brain with an anvil. Saskia felt it, a trickle falling down over her lips and onto the floor, a deep red colour now staining the wood of the cafe floor, the last thing she saw before her eyes rolled back. Pale white skin, sharp canines, still chests, gleaming eyes, bloodshed. It all consumed her rapidly. Her knees buckled and her head hit the counter on the way down. Alice called her name but she couldn't hear, couldn't see.

The Cullen girl rushed around the counter, all the other customers following. One shouting for an ambulance, another crouching down to feel for a pulse. Alice couldn't speak. She only cradled Saskia's head in hopes that she would be okay. She should have seen something like this, why hadn't she predicted this? She should have been more careful with Saskia. She wanted to tell her, about Vampires, about Werewolves. Tell her she wasn't crazy. Relieve the suffering girl of some of her stresses. Alice cared all too much for someone who had such little will to live. It pained her. So, so much.

AUTHORS NOTE

I just started college and I already have a shit tone of work its actually a pisstake.

Anyways here's the second chapter sorry if its dog shite.

xxx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

75K 2.5K 25
.  . • ☆ . ° TWILIGHT.• °:. *₊ ° . ☆ ❝Your feelings and mine are all lonely And dawn comes, you're there lying with me And you reach out to touch ...
28.4K 560 22
[UNDER MINOR EDITING] PREVIOUSLY TITLED "ℭ𝔬𝔯𝔯𝔲𝔭𝔱𝔦𝔬𝔫" ... 𝘚𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘴𝘢𝘺 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘭𝘥 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘦𝘯𝘥 𝘪𝘯 𝘧𝘪𝘳𝘦, 𝘚𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘴𝘢𝘺 𝘪...
567K 16K 52
˗ˏˋ꒰ ✨ ꒱ - ̥۪͙۪˚┊❛ 𝐑𝐄𝐃𝐀𝐌𝐀𝐍𝐂𝐘 ❜┊˚ ̥۪͙۪◌ ╰┈➤ ❝ [(n.) The act of loving the one who loves you; a love returned full.] ❝If it were up to me, I'...
2.6K 87 6
❝ hold on tight. wait for tomorrow, you'll be alright. ❞ paul lahote. (platonic) sam uley. © staticwebs, 2024.