Meant For You

By wastedtimez

Nola Scott and Miles Dempsey are both from two different worlds. Miles is the NHL's 'IT' boy. Nola is a figur... More

Meant For You
prologue.
one.
two.
three.
four.
five.
six.
seven.
eight.
nine.
ten.
eleven.
twelve.
thirteen.
fourteen.
fifteen.
sixteen.
seventeen.
eighteen.
nineteen.
twenty.
twenty-one.
twenty-two.
twenty-three.
twenty-four.
twenty-five.
twenty-six.
twenty-seven.
twenty-eight.
twenty-nine.
thirty.
thirty-one.
thirty-two.
thirty-three.
thirty-four.
thirty-five.
thirty-six.
thirty-seven.
thirty-eight.
thirty-nine.
forty-one.
forty-two.
forty-three.
forty-four.
forty-five.
forty-six.
forty-seven.
forty-eight.
forty-nine.
fifty.
fifty-one.
fifty-two.
fifty-three.
fifty-four.
fifty-five.
fifty-six.
fifty-seven.
fifty-eight.
fifty-nine.
sixty.
sixty-one.
sixty-two.
sixty-three.
sixty-four.
sixty-five.
sixty-six.
sixty-seven.
sixty-eight.
sixty-nine.
seventy.
seventy-one.
seventy-two.

forty.

1.9K 41 2
By wastedtimez

Nola Scott

"It's been a while, eh?" JT says, placing his feet on his bed that I'm currently sitting on. He sits on his gaming chair, his body turned to face me. "We've talked," I defend. "We have. But just us like this," he points between the two of us, "it's been a while."

That part is true. JT has become one of my best friends these last couple of months but life has kept us both busy. His with hockey and school. Mine with figure skating. We talk on the phone occasionally and text almost every day. The contact between us is always there but sitting in the same room, just the two of is something we haven't done in a while.

He didn't have a game today and no practice either so I decided to come hang with him. Ember was going to join but she was stressing over an assignment she hadn't begun on - surprisingly - that was due in a couple of hours.

"How are you feeling?" he asks. I let out a deep breath. "I'm fine. Just trying to get by day by day," I admit. As one of the biggest days of my life inches, I've focused on trying to stay positive and calm. The stress is still there but letting it overtake me wouldn't be good. Things could be worse, I tell myself. Way worse.

"That's my girl. Don't let it get to you. You're gonna do great, Nola. I feel it in my bones," JT assures me. "Thanks, Jay. Wish you could be there," I tell him. He sighs. "Me too. But you'll have more support there than you know. I'll be waiting for you here, Miss Olympian."

My lips upturned at his words. He's right. My parents and siblings will be in Stockholm with me that week. They're my biggest support system and more than enough. "How are your brothers by the way?" Jay asks, shoving cashews into his mouth. "Haven't seen them in a while."

"They're good. My parents are taking them to look at apartments this week and I'm joining in on that fun before I go," I announce, wagging my brows. He laughs. "You think it'll be simple?" I let out a fake laugh. "No. Not with Kayce and Brooks. But we'll see."

With my dad finding them places in advance, maybe it'll be simpler, but Kayce is picky. Brooks? Probably not so much but he'll agree with anything Kayc says. We'll see. I'll be there to help simmer things down.

"I still can't believe your parents agreed to let Brooks move out with him," he says. It shocked me at first too but they'd do anything to see any of us happy. Even something like this. I think it made it easier for them knowing they're in the same city. "Mom will be able to check up on them every day that's why. She won't leave them alone. It'll be like they're still home," I laugh.

Kayce smiles a bit but it fades kind of quickly. "Well, hopefully, they won't take advantage of that. I'd kill to have my mom burst into my room again," he admits, chuckling sadly. My brows furrow slightly. He looks down at his lap and his blonde hair messily falls over his forehead. I scoot over to him, pushing his feet off the bed and sitting on the edge. He looks up at me. "You okay?" I ask carefully.

I'd consider JT and I good friends but it's obvious we don't know everything about each other yet. He nods his head quickly, clearing his throat. "Oh yeah, I'm fine. Don't worry about it," he says. "Jay, you're not. Tell me, I'm here to listen," I assure him, reaching for his large hand. I place mine on top of it and give it a squeeze.

His emerald eyes are reddened and I can't help but wonder what I don't know about this boy. "If...don't..." He winces, closing his eyes shut and shaking his head. "Hey, this is a judgment-free zone. And anything else free-zone. You speak. I listen. That's it." I squeeze his hand again for more reassurance. He rolls his tongue in his mouth and nods.

JT takes a breath and a pause before speaking again. "I don't know if Ember has told you," he starts. I shake my head. "She's private. She doesn't tell me much," I tell him. "Well...it's about." He winces again and that's when I really worry about what's going to come out of his mouth.

Usually, JT is all smiles and sunshine. It's one of the first times I've seen upset. Besides that time when he and Em were on the outs. Other than that, this boy has radiated sunshine. He has the ability to make anyone smile. Including myself. He reminded me of my little brother. At this point, he sure felt like my little brother. We kind of looked alike too.

"My mom," his voice slightly cracked. The saddest look crossed his features then. "She... isn't alive anymore," he admits, squeezing my hand now. My heart drops to my stomach at his confession. "Jay...I had no idea. I'm so sorry," I say before pulling him off the chair and over to the bed. Once he's sat next to me, I fling my arms around his neck and hold him.

His tears fall onto my shoulder and he vibrates against my body. I start thinking about Ember suddenly. She lost her mom too. The two of them share that in common with each other. No wonder their bond is so unbreakable. It brings me some sort of comfort that they have each other to talk about it with. I can't relate so all I offer to both of them is comfort.

"I miss her, Nola. I miss Vancouver," he cries. It's strange having a six-foot-two, muscular, NHL hockey player crying in my arms. Then I remember, he's just a boy. He's just JT. An eighteen-year-old boy whose life has changed drastically in the past year or so. And this thing with his mom? I'm sure it's affected him his whole life, or at least since it happened.

"None of this matters without her. She's not even here to see it," he says. "Jay," I grab his head and pull him away to look at me. Tears slip down his cheeks and I wipe them with my thumb. My heart clenches seeing him this way. "This does matter. All of it. I bet she's so proud of you, Jay, I mean look at all you've done. Rookie of the Year."

His tears don't stop falling so I don't stop wiping. "She's definitely proud of you. You're doing everything you always wanted to do and probably even more. And it's just your first year in the league. God, she's shining light down on you. I'm sure she wouldn't like you saying that this doesn't matter, JT. Because it does. Your mom will always be with you, in here." I point to his heart quickly.

He falls into me again and I hold him. "She was so...great. You would have loved her, Nols. Ember would have loved her. She would have loved Ember and Miles, too. I used to talk to her about him all the time when I was younger. She never saw me meet my idol," Jay explains. Oh, gosh. My heart continues to clench. "She knows though. I'm sure she never leaves your side so she has to know. And I know I would have loved her. She birthed one of my favorite people."

JT pulls away again and his lips lift at my sentiment as he sniffles through tears. "I'm one of your favorite people?" he questions. I smile, moving aside the hair that falls onto his forehead. "Most definitely, kid," I reply. He rolls his eyes at the nickname Miles gives him. "You're one of mine too, Scott." I laugh, pushing his head lightly as his tears slowly stop falling.

"I'm serious, Jay. She's proud of you. You're doing amazing things. First-round pick. Second most goals on the team. Most goals by a rookie. Rookie of the year soon. Possible...Stanley Cup champion too?" I say. He chuckles, wiping his nose on his sweater. "We'll see about those last two things," he deflects. I tilt my head slightly. "It's yours. You'll see in a couple of months."

Who else could it be? He's the most successful rookie this season. They'd be stupid not to give it to him. "I just wish she could've met Ember," he tells me, looking down at his hands again. "I l-" He pauses then, his Adam's apple bobbling in his throat. "I think I love her, Nola," JT admits, his voice in a whisper.

A breath leaves my lips and a smile pulls onto my lips. You'd think he just told me that he loved me. "Really?" I breathe. He nods quickly, releasing a breathy chuckle. "I'm just scared to tell her. I don't know why. Maybe it's too soon," he rants. I shake my head and grab his hands. "Tell her, Jay. Trust me on this one. Tell her."

Ember wouldn't push him away. She needs love in her life. More than anything. The feelings she has for the boy in front of me are greater than anything she's ever felt and I know that for a fact. She never stops talking about him for Christ's sake. This will bring them closer and I want that for them. They both deserve each other's love.

"Yeah?" he asks. I nod.

"Okay, I will."

Smiling, I wrap my arms around him one more time. "I'm so proud of you, by the way. For everything you've done. You're an amazing boy, JT. I'm happy you are my best friend. I'm also happy that you're the boy for my other best friend. You guys are soulmates," I say. He hugs me back, a laugh escaping his lips. "Big word there. Soulmates, eh?" How could they not be? They found their way back to each other after everything.

"Yes," I assure. He smiles, nodding slowly. "By the way, nice thing Miles did for you this morning." My lips upturned at Miles' sweet gesture from earlier. It was nice of him to do that for me. He probably doesn't even realize how special it was to me. No one's ever done something like that for me. Just when I want to stop these feelings for him, he continues to surprise me.

"Oh, yeah. It was nice." My cheeks flush slightly. "You know, I think he might li-" JT gets interrupted by his door opening. Miles saunters into his room, stepping back when he sees me. "Scott. Didn't know you were here," he says, looking between JT and I. "Hello," I say stupidly. "What's up, man?" JT asks, scooting back on his bed.

"You alright? Your eyes are red," Miles asks him, brows furrowed. He looks over at me and I just smile. "I'm okay. Did you need something?" he asks again. "Nope. Just wondered why you hadn't come to bother me in a couple of hours," Miles says. "Wanna play Mario Kart, Nola?" JT asks.

My eyes light up at that. "Heck yes." He smiles and tosses me a controller. I catch it before scooting up next to him. "You making us dinner?" I ask Miles. JT laughs. The brunette hockey player raises his brow but a smile plays on his lips. "I thought you were on a strict diet, ice princess." I shrug. "Aren't you guys too?"

Jay scoffs beside me. "Yeah, of pasta and fucking rice." Miles nods in agreement. "I don't think a whole lot of carbs are in your diet, Scott," he says. "Hmmm. Chicken and broccoli sound good?" I look at JT. "Just for one night?" JT smirks at me before looking over at Miles. "Sounds good to me," he agrees.

Miles narrows his eyes slightly but a smile is on his lips as he looks at us. "You two are lucky I actually like you," he says, walking out of JT's room. "You love us!" JT shouts behind him. "Whatever you say, kid!" Miles retorts. I giggle. "He definitely does," Jay says.

"Oh, definitely."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.4K 141 11
✎ | HOCKEY SPORT ROMANCE ----- 🏒 ----- Xander Meadows He didn't cate about other's looks on him or their opinion. He did whatever he wanted whenev...
1M 29K 51
Book 1 of 3 Lindsey is looking for a fresh start. She's spent the last two years hiding away from everyone, and everything after her best friend and...
325K 4.1K 96
This will be the first book of a series of three:) (Please read all the warnings to make sure there is nothing triggering in the book:) ...
375K 6.4K 31
"Your really are the biggest pain in my ass." "I'm glad you've given me such an amazing roll being down that end. Wouldn't want to be a pain in your...