Wild Creatures

By NebulusCharlie

A WangXian Novel. Wei Ying is walking home one night and finds Lan Zhan, in an alley, passed out. More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Tattoos
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144
Chapter 145
Chapter 146

Chapter 141

460 74 12
By NebulusCharlie

The twenty-ninth of November was a monumental day for Lan Zhan and Wei Ying. They went to drop A-Yuan and JingYi off to school, who were both terribly excitable.

"Baba, when we get home, can I hold Meimei?" A-Yuan asked Wei Ying, his chubby little arms hugging him tightly.

"Absolutely!" Wei Ying was faring no better than the rest of them, just as excited as their whole family.

"A-Die! A-Die! Me too? Please?" JingYi gave Lan Zhan a big wet kiss on his cheek, giggling atrociously, and then shrieking when Lan Zhan did it back to him.

"Tonight, when you get back from school, then we'll see. It might take longer at the hospital, but by this evening, both of your meimeis will be home with us," he says, giving nothing away.

But his golden eyes were glittering with anticipation.

They were to go straight to the hospital after this, wrap up the paperwork and then they'd be allowed to take the baby girls home with them.

XiChen and MingJue had taken the afternoon off to help, and Shifu was anxiously awaiting their return.

Extra rooms upstairs and downstairs in the manor had been converted to accommodate the babies, complete with cribs and nappy changing stations, mini fridges for formula bottles and extra clothes.

Ever since Social services had contacted Wei Ying to inform them that they had been awarded temporary custody of the babies, he and Lan Zhan had gone to baby classes where they were the only gay couple aside from a lovely lesbian pair out of ten married couples, and although it was hard in the beginning, Wei Ying thought they had aced the course.

All the parents were in different stages of pregnancy, yet the growing combination of excitement and anticipation was shared by them all, uniting their efforts. Their teachers were already parents and full of encouragement for this next generation of guardians.

Now it was only a matter of time before their application to adopt both Lan Juhua and Lan Meihua was processed by the courts, and then the adoption would be finalised. In Wei Ying's mind, they were already their daughters, and nothing was going to change that.

**************

On the seventh of December, they received a surprise guest at the Manor.

Heathcliff Watford came to see them, with his lawyer, to finalise the exchange of his property. Once they signed on the bottom line, they would become the proud owners of a ranch home, and parents to countless chickens and bunnies.

He was just the same as ever, and something clicked between him and Uncle Qiren, striking up a new friendship immediately. Heathcliff also held both baby girls who were slowly spending more time awake as the days passed by.

Wei Ying was convinced that they responded better to Lan Zhan's voice but Lan Zhan was insisting that both girls went to sleep faster in his arms than anyone else's.

The days were passing by faster than they could keep track, busy with taking care of the newborns. Luckily, their support system was solid, with XiChen and MingJue uncles, and grandfather Shifu taking over babysitting duties whenever Wei Ying fell asleep rocking one or both of the babies.

Their big brothers were fascinated by the little girls, having made welcome home cards at school for them, and diligently helping their dads to look after them, asking the most interesting questions all the time.

Wei Ying kept joking that it was great that Lan Zhan didn't have to sleep during the nights, because then he could, without disturbance. They had learned and talked to many parents too familiar with not getting enough rest during the first six months of raising their kids.

Of course it wasn't a problem when one half of the parents were a vampire.

Lan Zhan had bought a super comfortable rocking chair, primarily for Wei Ying, because the soothing motion helped when easing the babies into sleeping, but it was so popular with the other caretakers, that he ended up buying a dozen of them. The majority of them stayed in the manor, but he was going to make sure Wei Ying could curl up in one no matter whether they were in their apartment, the manor, or when they finally moved into their new home.

That probably wouldn't happen for a few months yet, but he wanted to be prepared.

Winter time was always a little quiet on the business front, something XiChen was grateful for because he had more time to devote to the wedding that he'd undertaken.

Both Wei Ying and Lan Zhan had insisted on keeping this event small, but even so, a few hundred people were expected to attend.

XiChen had banned them from going into the back of the manor, not that they had any time to spare, in between looking after their children.

Deliveries kept arriving and XiChen was becoming more mysterious as his deadline approached, enlisting MingJue to help him out.

Other frequent guests included Baoshan Sanren and the Jiang siblings. Jiang YanLi had been super supportive once she found out about their children and tried to visit as much as she could, sometimes with Jiang Cheng, sometimes with her husband.

By far, the most volatile relative was his grandmother.

When they told Baoshan Sanren about the girls, it was the same day that they went to invite her to the wedding, on the first Sunday after they'd first brought their soon-to-be daughters to the hospital.

She was alone at the time, and Wei Ying asked her where Song Lan and Xiao XingChen were, because he wanted to invite them both to the wedding as well.

"I didn't want you to worry, but they've gone home. Not for long, and once I tell them about the wedding, they'll want to hurry back," she explained, her silver eyes warm with love.

"Home?" Wei Ying had asked.

"Yiling. First, they're going to travel to the Chang family and present the box of evidence to them, about Xue Yang. Of what he did, and his death. I've also asked them to bring back a few things, one of which is the birthday present your grandfather mentioned, for your mother's first birthday. When they bring that back, will you be here with me?"

Wei Ying had looked deeply into her eyes then, ones that resembled his own so much, and he had nodded.

She visited her great grandchildren every day from when they first arrived home, and she was a constant thorn in Shifu's side. They both fought each other over the smallest things, stealing the babies from each other's laps without warning, all under the guise of super politeness, because both considered shouting and screaming to be beneath them.

But it was a close thing.

Wei Ying compared them to little children, privately to Lan Zhan, who agreed wholeheartedly.

"Lucky they're twins otherwise we'd never get to see our kids," he joked.

Lan Zhan took him seriously.

By far, his favourite time was at night. That's when he had his children and Wei Ying to himself. He would spend hours holding Wei Ying while he slept, and when undoubtedly either of the girls woke up, he would already be there, ready to soothe them if they needed that, or to change and feed them. His super effective hearing ensured that he didn't have to use the baby monitor at all, recognising the change in breathing as a precursor to either Juhua or Meihua getting ready to use their lungs properly.

The baby girls had adjusted to life at home in the manor remarkably well.

When the midwives visited, they were thrilled with their progress up until now. After a bumpy start in life, everyone was happy to see the babies and the children thriving so well.

****************

On Thursday the seventh of December, after Heathcliff left, Baoshan Sanren phoned Wei Ying to tell him that she was bringing his uncles to see him.

That could only mean one thing: the music box was here.

When they arrive, sure enough, his grandmother was carrying a small box covered with a red silk brocade depicting a dragon and a phoenix.

She waits until the babies are introduced to their new grand-uncles, and then there's an awkward silence between them and grandfather Shifu, who was reluctant to give them up in the first place.

Wei Ying understood that she might want some privacy when they examined the music box, so he and Lan Zhan took her to the Sun room.

"This is it..." she says, pinching the soft silk to remove it from the box.

"It's beautiful!" Wei Ying breathes out, admiring it.

It's made from lacquered cherrywood, with cherry blossoms carved out of the same wood lining the edges.

Wei Ying stares at it, imagining his grandfather carving each part, whittling away at each delicate flower until all the petals were ready. Then painting and varnishing it, what he must have been thinking as his daughter turned one year old.

He watches as Baoshan Sanren lifts up the lid, her fingers trembling on the catch.

The inside is just as beautiful. There's a dancer wearing a pink hanfu standing in the middle of the box, upon a pedestal, and when his grandmother picks out the key, Wei Ying sees that its head is a matching pink cherry blossom, just as lovely as the rest of the box.

She puts the key into the hole at the side, and winds it up.

A lullaby rings out, little pings of the notes and they quietly listen to the soothing sounds.

"My daughter loved it so much. She listened to it once every night, up until the night he never came back." Baoshan Sanren says, staring down at her hands. "She was so excited when we let her wind it up by herself, the first time."

Wei Ying reaches over to cover her cool hands with his warmer ones, wanting to comfort her.

How heartbroken must his mother have been, that night? Wei Ying wonders if she might have even known what was going to happen? What if her prophetic dreams had already informed Cangse Sanren what was going to happen, and that was why she hadn't wanted to let go of her father that night?

What a burden for a child to have to carry!

Baoshan Sanren clears her throat and tries to smile.

"I never thought about turning the key anticlockwise," she admits, doing the very same thing.

"No one would," Wei Ying replies, full of admiration for his clever grandfather. "That's probably why he did it. Will you take a guess at what he could have hidden here?"

She shakes her head, visibly finding it difficult to speak now.

The room is pindrop silent, the only sound here is of the key turning counterclockwise. It's followed by a whirring noise, and then one of the panels hiding the mechanism under the dancer pops open to reveal a hidden drawer.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.1K 1.8K 38
That's my first story, so ignore so some unexpected mistake💫👁️‍🗨️💥 It's wangxian story where they become immortal throughout soul bond. Lan Wangj...
59.3K 7.8K 123
Things have settled down for our favourite couple and they're just getting used to living in the domestic bliss that Wei Ying always dreamed of. Howe...
34.3K 1.2K 15
Wei Ying,along with the Jiang clan have been invited to cloud recesses for lessons,where the young Wei meets Lan Zhan. Wei Ying was mistreated by hi...
309K 19.5K 33
A blood-thirsting encounter with a vampire alpha prince. Wei Wuxian was living a normal life as an omega then, poof! His life turned into unexpected...