Khearia's Sun

By Haiiso

Each year the Kingdom of Khearia throws a festival in remembrance of one of their most beloved kings who had... More

Page I
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XL
XLI
XLII
XLIII
XLIV
XLV
XLVI
XLVIII
XLIX
L
LI
LII
LIII
LIV
LV
LVI
LVII
LVIII
LIX
LX
LXI
LXII
LXIII
LXIV
LXV
LXVI
LXVII
LXVIII
LXIX
Happy Christmas! - Some Goodies
LXX
LXXI
LXXII
LXXIII
LXXIV
LXXV
LXXVI
LXXVII
LXXVIII
LXXIX
LXXX
LXXXI
LXXXII
LXXXIII
LXXXIV
LXXXV
LXXXVI
LXXXVII
Epilogue

XLVII

385 33 11
By Haiiso

Alex did his best to seem calm. The sundial had indicated two hours had passed and there hadn't been any sign of the others. The muggy heat combined with the pungent reek of ageing flowers, like fermenting perfume, had only made each minute more disturbing.

ㅤThomas was like a hard rock beside him, still, not even seeking out shade under a tree.

ㅤ"There," Thomas suddenly said.

ㅤAlex whipped his head around, seeing them before hearing them. Unlike their usual squabbling, they were silent.

ㅤ"Where the fuck have you three been?" he hissed at them.

ㅤHis heart was still pounding as they approached sedately, slowly, like they had all the time in the world. James came into view, stepping out from behind Riley with a blank look, and only then did Alex feel himself relax. He didn't want to unpack the reason behind why.

ㅤ"We were this close to leaving without you," Thomas griped, pinching his thumb and finger together.

ㅤRiley smiled, but his steps were stabbing into the patio, forceful. "We're here now, okay? Calm down."

ㅤ"How is it that hard to be on time?" Thomas continued.

ㅤFletcher winced, Alex caught it.

ㅤ"What happened?" Alex asked immediately.

ㅤHis gaze went from Fletcher to Riley, and then scanned James' face carefully, but James was zoning out to the side, looking at nothing. If it had been at any other moment, he wouldn't have noticed that James was deliberately avoiding eye contact.

ㅤRiley tried to nudge Alex around, attempting to guide them out of the courtyard and through to the exit. But, Alex wasn't going to let it go. He recoiled from the touch, glaring in accusation.

ㅤRiley wasn't discouraged. "Please, you should all go."

ㅤAlex was about to argue but, surprisingly, it was Fletcher who approached him and stood tiptoe to whisper.

ㅤ"We were summoned by Prince Maurice and he said Riley had to meet him again. Also, he said something that really pissed James off. So, be careful around him."

ㅤAlex's stomach dropped.

ㅤRiley snatched Fletcher back by the bicep and laughed.

ㅤ"Think how this looks on the outside, yea?" he said through gritted teeth, but his outward demeanour was pleasant.

ㅤAlex risked a glance around the courtyard, although he didn't see people, there were large windows that overlooked all sides, and there were so many flower bushes that one could easily hide behind.

ㅤHe made himself seem more outwardly friendly, the attempt was stilted, but he couldn't ignore what he heard.

ㅤ"You all saw Prince Maurice?"

ㅤFletcher nodded. "But, nothing bad happened. He didn't recognise James or anything and never even asked why we were here."

ㅤThat was somewhat a relief, but it wasn't good that their visit had ended up on the prince's mind.

ㅤ"So why was James mad, then? What did His Highness say?"

ㅤ"Nothing important," Riley replied, brushing the topic off. "You should get going and I should head back."

ㅤAlex reached out and gripped Riley's arm, despite how it would look.

ㅤ"There's no way that's happening."

ㅤ"I have to," Riley argued, "he told me to. If you guys just wait another night I'll come and find you again."

ㅤAlex scrutinised Riley's face, searching for any cracks in the facade. The fact he couldn't find any only proved why he couldn't trust him. There was no way to get a decent read. Riley carried too much sensitive information with him; James' identity, Alex's status as a slave, King William's scheme to coup the Ankaid house. If Riley was a double spy and passed any of these details onto Prince Maurice it would be catastrophic not only for them, but for the country.

ㅤ"I have to stay," Riley insisted again, most likely reading Alex's hesitance and suspicion.

ㅤ"I can't let you do that. I don't trust you."

ㅤFor once, Riley was rendered silent. Unable to conjure anything to say in response.

ㅤ"It'll be worse for us if he doesn't," James offered then.

ㅤAlex's grip loosened only for a moment, shocked. This was the first thing James had said after avoiding his gaze and pretending to be invisible, and it was to defend Riley, of all people.

ㅤAnnoyance surged in him. "You're going to defend Riley now? You trust him now? Might I remind you, you're the one who suggested we should kill him only a few days ago."

ㅤHorrified gazes fell upon him, but James raised his eyebrows, unashamed.

ㅤ"If he doesn't go then Prince Maurice's attention will fall upon all of us, not just him," James explained. "You weren't there when we met him, that man is insane. This would be in our best interest."

ㅤJames' logic was spot on. Alex struggled internally, the men watching him nervously. He knew he must have appeared like the bad guy at that moment by throwing them all to the wolves, but he genuinely was worried about what Riley could say. It was a situation where it was impossible for them to win, any choice was a high-stakes gamble.

ㅤ"It's all too risky."

ㅤJames shrugged. "Minimise the risk then," he said simply, like it was the easiest thing in the world.

ㅤ"This is Alex's decision, James," Thomas protested. "Stop getting involved."

ㅤJames didn't spare Thomas even a glance, like he hadn't heard the man at all, much to Thomas' frustration.

ㅤ"I need some second opinions," Alex finally decided, unable to choose. If it regarded their lives, their input was necessary. "Do we think we'd be safe to stay in this city any longer?"

ㅤRiley spoke first. "Honestly? No. But, it'll be safer than the alternative where I don't go back to meet Prince Maurice again."

ㅤFletcher was silent, eyes downcast, his narrow shoulders stiff.

ㅤ"Fletcher?" Alex prompted.

ㅤThe scholar slouched, defeated. "You guys do what you need to do. Don't worry about me, just... keep me safe?"

ㅤ"Of course," Alex promised, but he felt severely guilty that Fletcher had been dragged into a plot like this. He wasn't suited for this kind of high-stress environment. Even Alex himself was finding it difficult.

ㅤ"Our opinions don't matter, Alex," Thomas stated. "Just get this over with."

ㅤAlex cautiously released Riley's arm.

ㅤ"You have until nightfall," he told Riley, "If there is any sign that you've said a word about this, or if you're even a minute late, I'm going to tell Prince Maurice that you have a relic. I'm sure he'd be very interested in that."

ㅤRiley's face paled even if his expression remained the same. "Mutual destruction then, is it?"

ㅤ"Is that a problem for you?"

ㅤAfter a brief pause, Riley shook his head and walked away without another word. Alex watched him leave, feeling deeply unsettled, unsure if his decision would prove to be the correct one.

ㅤ"Let's get out of this awful place," Alex said, his gaze lingering on Riley's back.

ㅤAlex prided himself on his exhausted patience, having to navigate the world more carefully than others, being more aware of how he is perceived. But, as they made their way out of the Theos palace, it was lucky that no guard attempted to slip in a snide remark or a disparaging look, because Alex had been pulled so thinly that he would have snapped at anyone who would've given him an excuse.

ㅤHe needed to remember that this stress was temporary, once they'd finished their coup, everything would be better.

ㅤ"I wonder if it will be enough time for him," Fletcher mused once they had gotten past the gates, glancing back at the smug intimidating structure that abhorred them.

ㅤ"It needs to be," Alex replied. "I won't risk us sleeping here, we'd be too easy to ambush."

ㅤLike a momentary calm amidst a storm, they watched a group of children run past, fighting each other with sticks like swords, chasing after each other like they were in battle. They would roar at each other and grunt like their weapons were heavy metal, breaking into giggles as they did so.

ㅤAlex regarded them with a sick feeling in his stomach.

ㅤJames brushed past him, shoulder to shoulder, enough to knock him out of that nauseous feeling. He swallowed down the sourness of his tongue and pushed those thoughts away. The kids were fine, he assured himself, they weren't being preyed on.

ㅤ"So, what do we do whilst we wait?" Fletcher asked, fidgeting with his sleeve.

ㅤAlex stared at those restless hands. "Let's just take a short walk first."

ㅤThomas was regarding Fletcher with a concern that Alex could sympathise with, they needed to distract the scholar and burn off some nervous energy.

ㅤ"That sounds like a good idea to me," Thomas said lightly, fethering a hand on Fletcher's back. "What do you think, Fletch?"

ㅤFletcher absently nodded.

ㅤThey aimlessly roamed the cutting streets, chatter rumbling the air. Alex felt detached as he watched people interact with one another, living in a place where he didn't exist, that he would never touch. It pitted an empty feeling in his chest.

ㅤHe felt out of place, like he was grey in a colourful world, never quite belonging to the rest of them. He'd always somewhat felt that way a little, but he'd still been anchored onto the ground with the rest of them. James, on the other hand, must have felt severely more hollow than this.

ㅤThomas glued himself to Fletcher's side, whilst James walked a few paces ahead. After a moment of deliberation, Alex slowly came beside James, offering him some company. The other man didn't reject it.

ㅤ"So," Alex began, "what happened in there?"

ㅤ"Ask Fletcher."

ㅤAlex smiled wryly. Even though James' tone was curt, instead of feeling annoyed, Alex was feeling a delicate and fluttering sad softness for him. He didn't want James to feel like that anymore, like a hollow and forgotten non-person, even though Alex knew that there was nothing he could really do to stop that. At the very least, he wanted to soothe him in the short-term, have him ease into reality for a short while.

ㅤ"You only say that because you know I won't," he accused gently.

ㅤJames didn't counter that point.

ㅤAlex didn't let himself be discouraged. "Will you at least tell me what you thought of His Highness?"

ㅤJames glanced at him then. "You haven't met him?"

ㅤAlex held his hands up, as if presenting himself. "I wasn't suitable. The duke never would have let me. I'm here to be a dog, not a son."

ㅤAlex got a reaction that time; James' nose and brows immediately creased at the mention of the duke. Alex had only meant it as a self-deprecating poke at himself, he hadn't meant to get James more riled up.

ㅤ"So, tell me what you thought," Alex was quick to continue.

ㅤ"His hair is too silky for a prince," James said. "That's what I thought..."

ㅤAlex squinted, trying to figure out the way James' mind worked.

ㅤ"Silky," he echoed. "Is that a problem?"

ㅤJames scratched the back of his head, trying to find the right words.

ㅤ"Riley's hair isn't, nor is mine."

ㅤEven though Alex was trying his best to understand, he really couldn't get a solid grasp on what James was getting at. "And, should they be?"

ㅤJames narrowed his eyes at him, but Alex knew it wasn't a sincere annoyance. James would be able to see that Alex was trying his best.

ㅤ"Royalty and nobility aren't unconditional," James stated. "Unlike other countries, our nobility don't have a birthright to luxuries, it's an exchange. The higher up you are, the more work you have to put in, the more sacrifices you make. Princes aren't dolls, they're generals. At least, that's how it should be. Prince Maurice's hair was far too long and silky for his position. That's what I thought."

ㅤIt was a concept that Alex also agreed with in principle; it was a societal contract, one that he had often associated his sense of duty with. "I understand what you mean now. But, I don't think I notice the same things you do."

ㅤ"That's not a bad thing," James argued.

ㅤAlex smiled at him. "No, it's not."

ㅤIn the distance, Alex watched as a mother confiscated the sticks off of the children, scolding them. They didn't seem very happy about it.

ㅤ"Is that what upset you then, the prince's hair?" Alex asked.

ㅤThere was a long pregnant pause.

ㅤ"That's right," James finally answered. "Nobility only have long hair in times of peace to show off their quiet and relaxed lifestyles. I found it insulting that he had his long when he's one of the one's plotting to destroy that peace."

ㅤAlex relaxed, relieved that he found the cause. "Then, do you think I'd look good with long hair?"

ㅤJames assessed him suspiciously. "Why?"

ㅤAlex hooked his arm around James' shoulders, pulling the other man closer, feeling his strong, sturdy warmth, his living body. Even if James' didn't like being crowded, it felt good that James was indulging him just this once, looking into his eyes, unconcerned.

ㅤThey were a rusty brown for now, but Alex liked the way he felt like he could sink into them when they were cherry; vibrant enough to make his heart ache.

ㅤ"When we're done with this, we'll find true peace. Then, we could both grow our hair, and we'd never have to cut it again if we wanted to."

ㅤJames' lips parted slightly, unsure of what to say. Alex tightened his arm around him. He hoped that this would cheer James up, suggesting reasons for him to live.

ㅤIf they hadn't been in public, Alex would've kissed him, just to feel more of his warmth, hoping that James would feel his too.

ㅤ"I don't think long hair would suit you," James finally murmured, snapping out of his daze.

ㅤAlex chuckled at that. "No?"

ㅤ"Nope. Short looks better on you."

ㅤ"I'd grow it long anyway," Alex teased.

ㅤHe waited for James to pull away, knowing he had hit the usual time limit for casual skinship. Normally, James was the one to initiate physical contact and he was less tolerant when Alex did it, even though it was less common. But, even if James didn't reciprocate the touch in any way, he didn't escape it either. Alex's heart skipped happily.

ㅤ"You'd look good with long hair, I reckon," Alex promptly added. He resisted the urge to twirl James' golden locks with his free hand.

ㅤJames wrinkled his nose and shook his head. "Nah, I'm over that. I had it about Fletcher's length when I was a teenager, did you know?"

ㅤAlex tried to imagine a young James with shoulder length hair. Did he tie it up? Have it down? Had he been a skinny lanky kid? Or had he always been well built? He couldn't quite picture it.

ㅤ"Really?"

ㅤ"It got in the way too much and felt unpleasant if I couldn't wash it regularly," James explained. "I always had it tied up anyway, so there was no point really. It was more like a little act of rebellion against my mentor than anything else. But, he died, so I chopped it all off. He was right anyway, it wasn't practical."

ㅤWhenever James talked about his youth, it seemed that he was either alone or with the previous Jay, and no one else. There was no mention of any past lovers or friends. Jay must have taken a special place in his soul.

ㅤ"I'm glad you had someone," Alex said.

ㅤJames was bemused. "Why would you be glad?"

ㅤBut then, James smiled sadly, looking out at people on the streets. "Me too, though. Even if it cost a lot."

ㅤSome shouting pierced the crowds and Alex didn't hesitate to let go of James to investigate, scanning the people to his side, searching for the origin.

ㅤOn the stone steps outside a small temple was an old man dressed in white and gold robes, attracting a crowd with his preaching. Behind him were two young women, dressed in similar garments, but plainer.

ㅤEven though Alex didn't believe in the divine, he became distracted by it, curious as to why other people were finding interest in it.

ㅤ"Adeia speaks to us," he cried, "but if you do not listen to Her then you shall not hear!"

ㅤAlex was aware that the other three men came beside him to watch along too. So far, he hadn't been excessively impressed by the display.

ㅤ"She warned us of the brown scum and red-eyed blight, and now She has bestowed upon us two witnesses that have seen the demons' newest disease; the northern ice beasts!"

ㅤGasps and mutters rippled through the crowds, concerned mothers hugged their children close to themselves, holding them protectively. Alex tepidly watched the pathetic paranoia.

ㅤOne of the younger women stepped forward then, stepping gingerly and delicately like a dancer composed with grace.

ㅤ"Hear us, dear people," she called, her voice angelic, "like the red-eyed blight who only saw blood, Adeia has shown me a vision of the evil plaguing the north, breeding actors of chaos and death! Their skin is like ice, their eyes pale like demons, ones that can stare into your souls and devour the good in you! Please, heed Her warning!"

ㅤ"What a load of rubbish," Fletcher stated angrily, a little too loudly.

ㅤThomas was swift to silence him, shushing him, whilst strangers near them glanced back nervously. Alex quickly became worried of how they would perceive someone like him.

ㅤ"We should leave," he said.

ㅤFletcher fought off Thomas' attempt to seal a hand over his mouth. "But, they're just blatantly wrong! The Gods never communicate through visions, it's—" he was silenced again, his rant becoming muffled, trying to wrestle his way out of Thomas' grasp.

ㅤ"Still think Adeia is the righteous one of the two?" James casually snarked to Thomas.

ㅤThomas glared in response. "It's just one temple," he whispered harshly, "now, help me."

ㅤJames gave a confused look, pointing at himself. "Why?"

ㅤAlex sighed and then grabbed Fletcher's collar, dragging him away from the scene. The others followed.

ㅤ"You have to let me explain to them," Fletcher begged Alex, but he was no longer fighting to get free.

ㅤ"They're beyond the point where they can listen to reason, Fletcher," Alex said. "They wouldn't treat you kindly."

ㅤ"It's my job as an educator," he insisted.

ㅤAlex spun Fletcher round and put a hand on either shoulder. "Fletcher, please?"

ㅤFletcher was about to argue but then gazed back to where the priest was shouting to the enraptured audience that hung on every word, gasping at every description. He sighed.

ㅤ"Okay."

ㅤAlex clapped his arm. "Thank you."

ㅤMore than just James, it seemed like Alex needed to cheer all three of them up. If Alex had made the wrong choice about Riley, then this might as well be the last afternoon they had safe. At the very least, he didn't want to die in misery with the others worrying so aggressively.

ㅤHe spotted a poster in the corner of his eye.

ㅤ"Hey, I've got something we can do instead."

ㅤIf he was lucky, this could just serve as a stress reducer before they inevitably go on their way again. It all weighed on Riley's shoulders.

____

A/N - Hey all, sorry for the frequent author notes, but I'm going to be busier from now on. I've moved house to go back to uni and I've restarted my job so I have a lot less free time now! I now aim to do at least one chapter a week, hopefully more.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 208 11
| ManxMan | - Historical Fiction - Strong SEXUAL Content | Tossed aside for his sexual preferences, a young lord is abandoned by his family. But, he...
38.4K 3K 49
General Sevei is of the firm opinion that Nobles are shady and Alchemists even shadier. Noble Alchemists are the absolute worst. He is not looking fo...
2.9K 70 26
Prince Remiul has the perfect life. He is of the most royal bloodline and destined to be king when his father retires. His parents are all around lov...
41.3K 980 29
"Look at me Axel . I'm sorry I never should've- His lips were on mine and I grabbed his waist like it was the most natural thing in the world. His...