The Duke's Daughter -Wattys20...

By jaidesmama

The Duke of Marlborough has signed betrothal contracts on behalf of his daughter, Lady Arianna Kent. But Aria... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty One
Chapter Sixty Two
Chapter Sixty Three
Chapter Sixty Four
Chapter Sixty Five
Chapter Sixty Six
Chapter Sixty Seven
Chapter Sixty Eight
Chapter Sixty Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy One
Chapter Seventy Two
Chapter Seventy Three
Chapter Seventy Four
Chapter Seventy Five
Chapter Seventy Six
Chapter Seventy Seven
Chapter Seventy Eight
Chapter Seventy Nine
Chapter Eighty
Chapter Eighty One
Chapter Eighty Two
Chapter Eighty Four
Chapter Eighty Five
Epilouge

Chapter Eighty Three

686 48 5
By jaidesmama

Damien returned to the parlor and went down on one knee in front of his wife. He took one of her hands, clasping it within his own he set his fingertips gently under her chin encouraging her to look up at him. Amelia had allowed the cleansing tears to flow unchecked. Feeling the horrible emotions come pouring out of her, just as poison is released when an abscess is lanced, she allowed the tears to wash away years of misunderstandings and self imposed isolation. She realized she had done this herself, jumping to conclusions, she had fed the roaring lion of jealousy and had kept it alive and well by feeding it hurtful memories and grossly imagined betrayal all these years.

As her husband knelt before her and took her hand, Amelia looked up at him as one accused, however, there was something wonderful residing in his piercing gaze. His eyes shone bright with hope and the start of tears, warmth dwelled in their depths, where for so long Amelia had only seen disdain and coldness. How? How could he look at her thusly, knowing what an awful thing she had done?

Damien saw the emotions in his wife's eyes and it broke his heart. He raised her hand to his mouth and kissed it softly before placing her palm to his cheek and holding her there. "I overheard your conversation with Kathleen and I can only imagine how you must have felt. I am to blame for this, for your leaving me alone, just as I am to blame for Derek leaving us all those years ago. I, unknowingly, allowed this to happen." 

Amelia watched as a tear escaped his eye to slowly begin it's trek down his face. She lifted her hand and brushed the lone tear away with her thumb before cupping his face gently in her hands.

"Not all your fault, my love, not all." She whispered brokenly. "I should have confronted you and received the answers I needed at the time. I loved you so when we married, I had hoped you would come to love me also after a time." She looked down with her admission, lowering her hands to her lap, she smiled slightly as his hands still covered hers.

He also looked down at their joined hands and used his thumbs to caress the back of her tiny wrists. She was so fragile and beautiful. He was taken back to their wedding day, he had thought the same thing as she walked down the aisle of the enormous church, how small and lovely she was. He had carried such hope, that she also, would come to love him in time.

"Why did you offer for me, Damien? I was so young and unworthy, you could have had any girl you wanted, why did you chose me?" Amelia asked in all honesty.

Damien scoffed, deciding the truth alone would suffice. "Woman, you stole my breath away the first time I saw you, my wits damned near fled as I beheld your beauty. I had to have you, Amelia, and only you. For every time I looked at you, I imagined myself picking you up and taking you all willing and warm to my bed. It scared me, I believe, how I came to care for you, so deeply and in such a short amount of time. I was an idiot, thinking I'd best keep some distance between us or I would lose myself and become your most ardent slave. I am afraid I refused to give you that much power over me. Then you changed, when you became pregnant with our son, and I did not know how to act. I did wonder if you felt you had done your duty and now I was to go find myself a mistress because you found the act of loving me abhorrent." Amelia winced at his words, encouraging him in that she had wanted no such thing. "It is the only explanation I can give, wife, along with my heartfelt apologies for being such a hard headed ass."

"Damien," She questioned tentatively, looking at him beseechingly, "have I killed what we once had?" Feeling unsure, Amelia queried, "Is it too late for us? Am I a fool to hope..." Returning her gaze to their clasped hands, she was afraid to see the truth in his eyes.

He raised his hands from hers and cradled her face, drawing her eyes back to his, "Not for me, my love, not as long as I breathe." He told her, his face crinkling into a smile, as another lone, thankful tear tracked down his face.
This time Amelia drew his face to her and kissed the tear away. "Can you ever forgive me?" She breathed softly against his cheek.

In answer, he rose from the floor and sat beside her, enfolding her into his arms. "Only if you will forgive me." He replied, pulling back to gaze into her amethyst eyes. "We have missed so much, Amelia, and I will have you know that I blame myself alone. You so captivated and ruled me, even as I knew I should fight against it, I allowed you put the distance between us. I thought there was no way you could ever love me as fiercely as I loved you, so I left you alone, thinking it was the least I could do for you after the fine son you had blessed me with. I was a fool, and so were you, if you ever thought I wanted another when I had you." He sifted her soft, shining, light locks through his fingertips, trailing his touch down her arm to once again clasp her hand gently within his own.

Amelia squeezed her eyes tightly shut for a second, feeling overwhelming relief at the forgiveness she knew she did not deserve. "We have a lot to make up for, Damien." She spoke in a tone that grabbed Damien's attention, and caused his heart to soar.

Amelia stood and held her hand out in supplication, Damien immediately took her cue and rose, looking at her closely to make sure he was not imagining her intentions. She smiled suggestively at him and that was all it took for her to be lifted up in his arms and carried up the staircase to the master's chambers where she now knew she belonged.

*****

Damien was asleep. Amelia lay beside him, cuddling up to her husband, for the first time in too many long, wasted years. She smiled coyly against his chest, thinking that some things never changed, as he had always been one to drift off to sleep immediately afterwards. It was comforting to know she had not lost all she had hoped for so long ago. Especially, she thought, after all the years she assumed she had never had his love. Thankfully, she had been wrong, and he had spent the better part of an hour worshiping her beauty and her body, showing her just how wrong she had been. Damien had loved her slowly, and reverently, and she had finally felt free to return every ounce of love he had given her. There should be no doubt in either of their minds that this was where they were meant to be.

Amelia rose carefully and quietly, hoping not to wake her slumbering husband, and walked around the masculine, imposing room as a new woman. A woman who had every right to be in this chamber, to look upon and touch his things. That thought brought a small, secretive smile to her lips as in the last hour she had touched plenty more than just his belongings.

At that thought, she looked back to the bed wondering how long he would sleep. Long enough for her to bathe and brush through her hair mayhap, she hoped, as she gazed upon her tousled reflection in his washstand mirror. Having been loved by him, well and truly, the thought of it continuing thrilled her, as she hoped there would only be more to come. Finding his shirt and donning it, Amelia walked through the adjoining dressing room to her own chamber where she rang for a maid to order up a bath. When her maid arrived, however, she appeared with a missive in hand. It bore the King's seal and was addressed to the Marquess. Amelia requested the water for her tub, and after the maid left to carry out her bidding, Amelia flew back to her husband's chambers and jumped on the bed excitedly. "Damien! Damien, my love, the King has sent you word." She woke him with kisses, planting them repeatedly on his handsome face.

Damien awoke, grabbing her gently he rolled with her to pin her underneath him. He nuzzled her neck, then lifted his head to kiss her thoroughly before growling at her, "If it were not for our son, madame, the King could go to... Perdition." A lazy, mischievous grin overtook his features before he kissed her again, then took the note from her hand upon his chest and read it aloud.

Availing himself of his wife's bathwater, the Marquess was out the front door within half of an hour in answer to the King's summons.

*****

From the front window, overlooking the lane, Kathleen watched the carriage taking her children from the house before she returned to the settee, joining her husband, Carmelita and Roman, as the boy leaned against this mother sleepily.

"I am pleased that Ari let Will coax her out. A night's distraction will hopefully settle her down." Kathleen hoped her words would prove true, as Arianna had seemed to become more tightly wound as days had gone by now without receiving any results they could speak of.

Carmelita smiled as she sifted her fingers through her son's dark hair as he cuddled next to her, across the tea table from the Duke and Duchess. They had been teaching Roman to play cards before the Marquess of Ravenwood had announced his intentions of taking his sister out for an evening of entertainment.

Kathleen had hounded him with motherly questions, as he stood in his fine evening clothes of black and ash gray, his gray eyes holding a light that informed his mother that he was dodging her questions with a well practiced skill. Kathleen realized with a wry smile, that even after her children left, she had not received a committed answer from her son as to where the couple were going. Shaking her head slightly, Kathleen banished her worries, remembering Arianna's entrance into the drawing room. She had been wearing a gown of a deep crimson with off the shoulder sleeves that fell to her wrists. A large red rose had been pinned in her curls which had been allowed to fall over one of her shoulders. Kathleen fondly remembered her loss of speech over the striking image her grown children had made standing handsomely together.

"Aye," the Duke replied, "Perhaps she will rally half of London to call upon the King on the morrow."

The gears started turning in Kathleen's mind as she pondered her husband's suggestion.

William laughed, "I was only making fun, Kathleen."

"You may be on to something with that thought though, William."

Carmelita laughed softly, and looked once more to the child who's eyes drooped beside her, "I believe it is time that Roman and I retire for the night."
The Duchess was torn from her musings by Carmelita's statement, "You are more than welcome to join us again once Roman is put to bed."

Carmelita's smile softened her refusal as she shook her head, "Nay, I thank you, however, I am off to pray that the Lord did not return my husband to me to simply take him away again."

Kathleen reached out to squeeze Carmelita's hand. "Have faith, dear. We will see the men free despite this delay."

Carmelita nodded, "I shall do my best." She stood, and accompanied by a sleepy boy, Carmelita quit the room.

"William, we had better see those men free without further delay." Kathleen's voice was fierce as she thought of her daughter and Carmelita.

William studied his wife and saw worry in her eyes for the first time. "We shall, dearest, never fear. Pray, my love, and have faith, but never fear."

*****

Admiral Miser stood before the King repeating his account of his innocence and the Earl of Trent's guilt. When he had once again concluded, the King's man stepped close to the monarch to deliver a card. Miser watched as the King's expression changed from tolerable patience to mischievous pleasure.

"Send him in." The King replied to his man before his attention once more fell to his Admiral.

"Miser, come stand beside me while I greet my guest." The King bade.

"Aye, your majesty." Miser replied, as he did as he was bid.

The doors opened and the Marquess of Moonhurst entered to bow before his King.

"Rise, Moonhurst, and hear what I shall grant you." The King stated.

Damien stood and met his King's eyes.
"I give you ten minutes with your son, Moonhurst." The King obliged.

Damien's face remained calm though his heart began to pound and his palms began to sweat. Finally! Damien thought, Finally, after all this time, I shall see my son's face.

"My King, you are allowing the pirate visitation?" The Admiral asked in astonished tone. Both the King and the Marquess pinned the man with their cold stares.

*****

"Do you really think I should be here, William?" Arianna asked, pausing with trepidation before allowing her brother to hand her down from his carriage.

"Of course you should, doll. The King will know you have nothing to hide if you are not afraid to face the public." Will stood with his hand outstretched to his hesitant sister.

"But I was not invited." Arianna insisted.

Will laughed openly, "But I was, Ari. If you did not come with me, I would have brought another woman they did not invite." With a wink at her he continued, "At least they won't rumor me engaged to my own sister."

Arianna quirked a brow, before chuckling and finally taking his hand, when he added, "I will not leave your side for a minute, sweets, and that is a promise."

Arianna took a deep breath and stepped down onto the cobblestones next to her brother. Will tucked her hand into his arm and led her to the massive front door. The oak door swung open after Will's knock, to reveal an elegantly dressed butler.

"Ah, good evening, Lord Ravenwood. My Lady will be most pleased by your presence." The butler claimed with a bow.

"I am pleased to be present, Whitley. Might I introduce my sister, the Countess of Trent?"

"The Countess of... Pah!!" The reserved butler was obviously astonished at Arianna's appearance. "Excuse me, Countess, I mean no offense, mind you. I am extremely honored to welcome you. My Lady will be equally pleased to greet you."

"Why, thank you, Whitley." Arianna giggled, slightly pleased with the butler's shock.

"Please, do come in." Whitley bade them, as he bowed again, sweeping his arm over the threshold.

As they reached the landing that opened to the upper story of the ballroom, Whitley swept another door wide and stepped to edge of the railing that overlooked the ball below.

"The Marquess of Ravenwood, and the Countess of Trent!" The butler called, in a voice that's strength belied his frail body.

A sudden hush fell over the room below them as all eyes turned to the staircase. Will felt his sister's hand squeeze tightly upon his sleeve.

"Easy, doll," Will whispered out the corner of his mouth, "this is your chance. Pounce, or be pounced upon."

*****

Amelia ran upstairs to her chambers after kissing Damien goodbye at the front door.

Before his departure, Damien had asked that she send a message around to Marlborough, informing the Duke that the King had requested a meeting with him. "Also include that I will apprise him of all that I know as soon as the meeting is concluded." Damien instructed.

Damien and Amelia both hoped, of course, that the meeting would conclude with Derek being released, but neither knew if that would be the outcome, in spite of their wishful thinking.

"So when you have seen the King, you will go there?" She asked, "To the Kent's?"

"I believe that I should, and if God is willing, and Derek is released while I am there, I am sure he will want to see his wife first thing." He stroked her cheek, as she closed her eyes and soaked in the affection. He then kissed her and assured her, "I shall return your son to you with the utmost haste when I have finished there."

Amelia leaned into him snaking her arms around his waist. "You had better not forget about me, Damien." She said, with a sultry smile. She then leaned back slightly to lightly tap at his chest with her finger, "Now go, do the best you can."

"I will do whatever it takes, Madame, to return your son to you." He bowed to her, smiling at his formality, as did she, then he slipped out the door where his carriage awaited.

Amelia was still considering their conversation while she soaked in a hot tub of honeysuckle scented water. She reasoned she had an hour to dress and get herself over to the Kent's. It was taking some spine stiffening on her part, but she had always had a knack for getting through, and she knew she would make it through this also. Deciding she would be Damien's messenger, Amelia hoped by delivering the news herself and then waiting there with them, she would know what had happened that much sooner. She knew there was absolutely no hope of sitting here at home and not going batty with curiosity and worry, Derek being her only son, after all.

Thinking back to her enlightenment this afternoon, Amelia realized that she really had no reason to hate Kathleen anymore, and since Kathleen had not been there for the last fifteen years, Amelia could not, in good conscience, blame the woman for her son's atrocious and scandalous behavior. Mayhap, Kathleen would even be able to do something about the horrible womanizer now that she had returned. Amelia hated to think of the gossip and scandals she would be subjected to, being that the shameless rake was now related to them through marriage. Shaking her head at the thought of having to endure a son with such low scruples, she was almost glad that Derek had returned married.

The water was cooling as she rose and wrapped herself in a clean, dry linen. She dried herself, allowing her maid to help her dress and ready herself for an encounter that was sure to be at best uncomfortable and, more than likely, somewhat unpleasant.

*****

At the bottom of the staircase, as a dull roar of whispers enveloped the room, the matriarch of the house stepped close to greet her tardy guests. "Ravenwood! 'Tis a pleasure, to be sure. All of the lovely ladies have grown so bored with your absence, I am sure now that you have arrived, my ball shall be fodder for the rumor mills for weeks to come!" Lady Harrison had a firm grip on Will's arm, pressing his appendage firmly against her pushed up bosom.

"Anything to please you, Lady Harrison." Will chuckled, removing himself from the dowager's grasp, he bowed over the lady's hand, assuring his eyes never left hers as he lifted her hand graciously and pressed his lips to her bony knuckles.

My word, the woman was shameless! Arianna schooled her features to smile politely at William's side, while waiting patiently to be acknowledged. The old bat must be older than our own parents by at least a score, and yet she flirts with my brother as a brazen hussy. Not that Arianna did not lay the blame for most of it on Will's head. It was not the first time, by any means, that Arianna understood where her brother's flourishing reputation came from.

Lady Harrison was visibly affected by his charming manner, she blushed, batting her lashes as she waved her fan at her flaming face. "Ah, but Ravenwood, you know you are always pleasing." The elderly woman flirted, tittering most unattractively. Then, suddenly remembering her manners, she turned her attention regrettably to the beauty at his side. "And Lady Arianna," Lady Harrison turned to take one of Arianna's hands between both of her own, "I am to assume congratulations are in order." One painted on eyebrow raised over Lady Harrison's curious eyes, as she obviously waited for confirmation of the rumors she had already heard, previous to her butler's announcement.

"Yes, indeed." Arianna replied with a heartfelt smile, happy to speak the truth of the name she now carried, "I have been Countess of Trent for almost six weeks now."

"Oh, how lovely is that?!" Lady Harrison gushed, "Will your earl be joining you this evening? Why, I have not set eyes on your young man in ages!" Arianna and Will exchanged a glance, both noting that Lady Harrison seemed fully content to carry the conversation on her own for the moment. "Do you know 'twas in this very house that the Marchioness informed the Marquess of his heir's expected arrival?" Lady Harrison tilted her head to stare down her nose at them in a knowing way as she spoke. "I did not know myself until much later, of course." The confession seemed to physically pain her. As if missing out on any tidbit of gossip, especially at one of her own hosted events, still riled her, even after all these many years.

"I was not aware of that, Lady Harrison." Arianna pursed her lips slightly in a disappointed pout as she continued, "I only wish my husband were able to join me tonight." Arianna saw the curiosity in Lady Harrison's eyes burn bright once more. "Although, I am thankful my brother was available to escort me." Arianna finished with a slightly self satisfied stare. She had been intimidated momentarily with the thought of facing the ton after her lengthy absence, but she found the game of skirting around true issues with polite conversation was not a skill one forgot.

"Yes, well," Lady Harrison fought the urge to pry, hoping to be allowed to revisit the subject at a later time. "I suppose I should allow you to mingle amongst the others. I would love to chat with you later, if you find the time, my dear. I always loved your mother so."

"Perhaps later, then." Arianna replied, disappointing Lady Harrison by not confirming the rumors that her mother had indeed returned.

"And Ravenwood," The lady plucked at his sleeve coyly, before tapping it with her folded fan. "Do not disappoint the debutantes." Batting her lashes once more, the lady laughed as she moved off to spread that the rumors were true. The duke had found his daughter and she was now Trent's bride.

Will finally allowed the laugh that had been building in his chest to escape him as he led his sister to the refreshment table across the crowded ballroom. "Oh, that was beautifully done, Ari. The gossip mill shall be begging for more all evening."

Arianna's step faltered, "That is your intention!"

"Aye," William admonished, his mirth subsiding as he looked very seriously at his sister. "Feed them what you want them to know and let the ton do it's job."

Arianna resumed her pace at her brother's side as he led her to the refreshment table while alternately nodding to or winking at his acquaintances. Arianna thought over Will's plan, deciding she favored it. She could drop bits and pieces of the truth of things into different ears and watch as the ton put it all together. And as long as she was careful in which bits and pieces she let circulate, she could protect her own reputation at the same time.

They reached the refreshment table and Will procured them each a libation. After toasting to their success of the night, Arianna's attention was diverted as they were approached by an awkward, pinched faced man. His small beady eyes traveled from her to Will and back again as his Adam's apple bobbed nervously in his throat. The beady eyes, along with his large pointed nose and slightly jagged teeth, gave Arianna a mental image of a rat. She did have to admit, the slicked back, dark hair and his  slightly protruding ears added to the illusion as well.

"My dearest, Arianna," Will finally broke the silence, "Might I introduce Alfred Drake, Baron Nimrod, ahem.." Will coughed. Or he laughed, disguising such as a cough, Arianna could not decide, "Excuse me," he amended, "Baron Nimford. Nimford, may I introduce my sister, Lady Arianna Drake, The Countess of Trent."

"I am pleased to meet you, Lord Nimford," She lied, as she extended her hand to him. "Are we by chance family through my recent marriage?"

"Aye, Countess," The Baron oozed a false charm, his thumb caressed Arianna's palm, turning her stomach, she attempted to jerk her hand away from him, yet he held it fast in his grip. "Your husband, the Earl, is my first cousin." When Nimford made to lift her hand to his mouth, Arianna quickly snatched her hand back into her own possession. Her saccharine, sweet smile lightening her set down as well as hiding her revulsion.

"Might I as-sk you to dance, cous-sin?" Nimford asked, not willing to admit failure, the man stammered as he attempted to call on their newfound relationship to gain her acquisance, the hopeful light in his eyes only intensifying her mental image of a rodent.

"I must decline, my lord." Arianna stated with a slight pout, "I have been away for some length of time and would like to greet some old acquaintances. Will you please excuse us?"

"W-why," he stammered, obviously surprised at her brisk refusal and dismissal. "Of course, dear cous-sin. P-perhaps later."

Arianna simply smiled at him for one last moment, before she slipped her arm into her brother's and looked up into his eyes, silently beseeching him to lead her away from the Baron.

Will nodded to the man and complied with his sister's wishes. As they travelled around the edge of the dance floor, Will spotted a few of his friends surrounded by lovely young ladies, their watchful mothers a few paces away. The perfect design to get word spreading.

With a hand over his sister's that sat upon his arm, Will changed their direction and headed straight into battle, an unprepared Arianna in tow.

*****

Damien felt his blood pump hard and fast through his veins with every step that took him closer to Derek. He felt his palms moisten with sweat and his breath hitch with every sound. The King's reply to the Admiral's audacity was still ringing in his ears.

"I have yet to prove Trent a pirate, Admiral. I suggest you do not question my dictate again."

Admiral Miser's eyes had dropped to his feet, the muscles beneath his scarred cheek had twitched violently as he clamped his jaw shut.

Damien had been heartened by the King's setback. At least they now knew that the King did not believe the Admiral, but rather, was looking into his claims.

"It be right this way, my lord." The King's man stated, bringing Damien back to the present, as they turned one last corner.

As they rounded the corner, the iron bars could be seen in the light that teasingly cascaded from one window set high in the stone walls.

"Trent, you have a visitor." The King's man called, causing a stir from the men inside the cell.

Damien searched the faces that turned his way. None looked familiar; would he even recognize his son after all these years?

But then he saw a man who had not moved from his resting spot upon the stone floor, his arm was flung over his face. Damien's heart increased it's already accelerated tempo. If his eyes did not recognize his son immediately, his heart surely did.

The King's man called into the cell once more and Derek finally heaved himself to his feet. His eyes lifted slowly towards his visitor and his sigh of relief was audible.

"Derek? Are you alright?" Damien asked, as he stepped up closer to the iron separating them. Derek came towards him and grabbed onto the bars, his knuckles were white and his jaw was clenched in anger. Damien saw fury in Derek's eyes, causing him to  back up a step, assuming Derek's fury was directed at him. "Now son, before you say anything...." Damien began.

"Father, I am relieved 'tis you. I need your help." Derek stated.

Damien felt the air rush out of his body in one rushing whoosh. Derek needed him! Oh, but he wished he could embrace him right now. Instead, he stepped close again and put his hands over Derek's on the cell bars.

"Anything son, what is it you need?" Damien asked, as his eyes absorbed the sight of his only child, a full grown, handsome, self assured man. He waited while Derek's eyes took on an even more tortured look.

"I need you to do whatever it takes to save my first mate from the gallows." Derek pleaded. "The King has decided he is to hang. He killed Marcus Bailey, a murderer and a madman, who deserved to die by his hand. However, Bailey was bound at the time so the King is using that to call it murder. 'Twas justice I tell you, as Bailey had done things to his wife...." Derek's voice broke, and he closed his eyes, as he remembered Carmelita's screams, Vi's words, and the Duchess' kidnapping. Those thoughts also served to strengthen him and he looked at his father. His father, whom he had not seen in many years. The man who, when Derek was a child, could fix anything. He remembered the many times when he was a youth, seeing an injustice and running to his father to make it right. Damien had always taken his side, doing what he could to rectify the situation, whatever it had been. The bigger boys caught bullying a younger child would find themselves mucking his royal stables, while the Marquess gave them a lecture of what it was to really be a man, and the promise that they would repeat the labor if caught bullying again. A man seen abusing his dog would find himself sitting next to the Marquess at the tavern, who would make his disgust for abusers of weaker creatures known, giving the man a chance to change his ways. If he did not, the dog simply disappeared, Damien having had it taken and found a new home. Derek remembered many times such as those, and prayed his father could use his political status and influence to do something for the man who had saved his own life on so many occasions.

"I shall do all within my power to help. I will go to Marlborough also, and we shall add his weight as well." Damien assured him. "And you, son, what has the King said about you?"

"He is still holding the rest of us on piracy. There is an Admiral Miser spewing lies about us, he kidnapped my wife and needs to be arrested, as he shot me twice while also making away with her." Derek told him.

Damien sucked in a breath, he had just been in the same room with a man who had tried to kill his son! "You were shot? Twice!?" His eyes roamed over his son, trying to find evidence of an injury. 'Twas a good thing he hadn't known about this before, or the King would have been witness to a deadly bludgeoning, and Damien may have found himself in the cell alongside Derek and his crew.

"The shoulder, I am fine." Derek waved off his father's concern. "How is my wife?"

Damien allowed this change of subject, he would deal with the Admiral later. "Your Countess is holding up, she had lost a little weight, probably worrying about you, but she is beautiful to look upon and seems to have a strong will."
Derek nodded as Damien continued, "Are you angry I tried to force you to come back?" He wanted to know where he stood with his son.

Derek's smile was bittersweet.

"Father, had I known what was waiting for me, I would have come with all haste. As it is, I see God's design in the way I found my bride. If we can just get myself and my entire crew released, I would love nothing more than to tell you of all that has happened. For the moment however, if you will make sure my wife knows I love her beyond reason and do everything in your power to save Alejandro, it will ease my mind." Derek switched one of his hands, laying it over his father's. "Dare I ask how my mother is?"

"Your mother is fine." Damien stated.
Derek noticed a softening around his father's eyes when speaking of Amelia. A serenity he had never seen before. This was interesting....

"She worries for you, of course." Damien added.

"Tell her the best help she can give me right now, would be to support my wife and help her through this, until I am released." Derek said. Derek thought that should make things interesting, knowing his mother as he did.

Damien was thinking the exact thing, especially after the way Amelia had accosted Arianna upon their first meeting. "I shall tell her your exact words, son." Damien assured him.

"Your time is up." The guard announced, from behind the Marquess.

Damien tightened his hand over Derek's as Derek did the same with his father's. "Alejandro, he is my main concern, he is my brother, my best friend, and I could not live with myself if anything happens to him." Derek said forcefully, "Please, do all you can!"

"Rest assured I shall, for him and all of you. I... I love you son." Damien said, staring into his son's eyes. "I am sorry I drove you away and I have missed you terribly." He said, as his voice broke and his face showed the strain their estrangement had caused him. The fact that it was his own fault he had missed a large part of his son's life tore at his heart.

"Father, I missed you also, and I understand now, better than you know, how easy it is to be harsh with the ones you love when you care for their lives. I too, am guilty. We shall have time to talk more later, when I am rid of this place." Derek assured him.

Damien gave Derek's hand one last squeeze. "I had better be about it then, I will look into this Admiral Miser business, also." He told him. "Know that I will do all I can."

"I know you will," Derek told him appreciatively, "and I will feel better for it, thank you."

"Anything, son, you only have to ask....."
Damien started to turn, to go about his son's business, when one word halted him in his tracks.

"Nimford?" Derek said.

Damien turned back, a sheepish look, along with a silly grin on his face. They both knew he had been bluffing when he had threatened to make Derek's cousin his heir if Derek did not return and assume his duties. He would have changed quite a few things in his letter to his son, if he had thought it would cause Derek to respond differently.
"Cousin Alfred... In truth?" Derek started laughing softly, Damien joined him.

"Aye," Damien chuckled. "I can not see it either."

Damien left the tower and made his way to his carriage. "To the Duke of Marlborough's, Cap." He said, as he swung himself inside and closed the door.

*****
The King watched the Marquess as he left the chamber to make his way to the cell where he would meet with his son. A small, satisfied smirk appeared at the corners of his mouth.

He turned to Miser and addressed him cordially. "Admiral, I believe I need to ask you to be our guest for the night. Please accompany my men to your chamber." The King dismissed him with a wave of his hand.

The King's men then came forward, taking hold of the Admiral and leading him out, while he sputtered and jerked his arms, trying to break the hold they had on him.

"Relieve him of his weapons." The King added, as he turned to the window and looked out at the starry sky, contemplating his next move.

Frank Miser was led down a few hallways, up a few staircases, down a few more hallways and after several twists and turns, the men escorting him stopped before a door and unarmed him. The larger of the two men held Miser while the other man opened the door. The large man released him once they were in the chamber and then stepped out again. Miser heard a key turn in the lock from outside the door, and that was when he was certain; he was the King's prisoner. This was not going according to plan. Miser was furious, not to mention frustrated, and a bit nervous about his own fate now. His scarred cheek twitched in annoyance at this turn of events. He hoped the footpads he had set to task were completing their mission, as that should sway the King his way again.

A few years ago, the Admiral had attacked and overtaken a pirate ship, it had carried cargo stolen from the King's navy. There were items meant for the King, personally inscribed gifts from the ruler of France, that had never made it to their destination. Miser had held onto these items, thinking, if anything, he could melt them down and sell the precious metals. One never knew when additional funds may become necessary. He had long believed that the King did not pay him as he should. It was why he had started his footpad operation in the first place. He had a taste for the finer things in life and knew an Admiral's pay would not support his lifestyle. He was glad he had never needed funds enough to destroy the items he had lifted from the pirates, as they would do much to support his claim now.

He looked around the chamber he had been 'given' and was at least pleased with the bedchamber and adjoining sitting room. He realized he may be a prisoner, however he would choose this opulence over the dank cell the pirates were being held in any day.

*****

William and Kathleen sat close to each other on the settee, enjoying a glass of wine, while Kathleen planned their next move.

"I shall have to go out into society and confirm my return at some point, William. We have not been seen out at all, except by your acquaintances, while waiting for the Monarch to see us. I am sure a word or two must have been dropped to their wives, who must be very curious as to whether 'tis true that I have returned. I could use their curiosity to our advantage." Kathleen told him.

The cogs turned in her head as to which direction she could take to most efficiently sway public opinion their way as quickly as possible. "I shall call upon some of my old friends with whom word will spread the quickest. I shall tell them of being ripped away from you, my beloved husband, and my children for all those years, and how I would not be here now if it were not for the Earl of Trent and his crew. If the King will not listen, the ton will."

William nodded in agreement, and kept silent. He knew better than to interrupt her when she got going, and her plan did have some merit...

Their butler Bentley, stepped into the room and cleared his throat slightly to announce his presence, "The Marchioness of Moonhurst requests an audience, Your Grace."

William and Kathleen looked at each other in surprise.

"Please send her in, Bentley." William replied.

Bentley turned, leaving the room for a moment and returned with Amelia, "The Marchioness, Your Grace."

"Thank you, Bentley. Would you please bring some refreshments and tea for our guest?" Kathleen smiled at the elderly man briefly before giving her full attention to Amelia. She smiled in greeting, as she and William came forward, Kathleen offered her hand.

Amelia took Kathleen's hand and nodded respectfully before releasing it. "Thank you for receiving me William, Kathleen." She looked to William, "I have a small bit of news," she told him, "the King requested a meeting with Damien at the Tower an hour ago, he will come here to tell us what the meeting is about when it is finished."

William took Amelia's hand and led her to a chair opposite the settee before he and Kathleen reclaimed their seat.

"That is something, I suppose." The Duke replied.

"Indeed it is," Kathleen agreed. "More than we have been given for the past week anyway."

Bentley returned with the tea tray and set it on the low table between them and then quit the room, closing the door behind him.

"Would you care for a cup of tea, or perhaps a glass of wine, as we have?" Kathleen asked her guest.

"Oh, yes, some wine would be most welcome." Amelia replied, while thinking that this was going better than she'd hoped. "And where is the Countess? She may want to know Drake's father was called to meet with the King also."

"Her brother was kind enough to distract her this evening, our poor girl has been beside herself with worry, and Will could sit by no longer and watch her mope." Kathleen replied. Kathleen watched as Amelia's eyes narrowed upon her mention of Will, recognizing judgment in the woman's face, Kathleen thought to herself, Ah, there she is. I knew she was lurking in there somewhere.

Kathleen, having her priorities in line, swept that under the rug and went on, "I had just been trying to formulate a plan to have the men released as soon as possible when you arrived. Mayhap, you may be of some assistance. Depending on what Damien finds out this evening, we may have to wage a war on the feminine front. It is doing no good at all for all of us to sit down there waiting everyday, hoping to be seen by the King." Kathleen proceeded to lay out her plan to Amelia.

Amelia could see the wisdom in turning the ladies to see things their way before the ton had gossiped themselves into thinking the worst of Derek and his men. She knew the ladies would pass the information on to their acquaintances. She supposed she would have to make the rounds also.

"Should we descend upon them together, or divide and conquer separately, hoping to cover more ground?" Amelia asked.

William left them to their planning as he moved to the window that overlooked the front drive and wondered what Damien was uncovering at the Tower.

*****

Two men crept stealthily down the docks, their destination the Green Eyed Lady. They were attired in black from crown to toe and one of the men carried a good sized black sack. Inside the bag were items of value, individually wrapped in velvet to keep them from clinking together and making any noise that would give the men away.

There was a bonus to be had if they could ensconce the items aboard the ship and avoid detection while doing so.

There was no moon this evening, which was to their advantage, however the stars shone more brightly because of it's absence. The men stayed as low as possible as they searched for the ship.
They found her tied off at the end of the dock and boarded her quietly, both searching for the hatch to the cargo hold.

One of the men located it and gave a quiet signal in a very good imitation of an owl. The other man joined him and lifted the hatch. The first man jumped down into the hold, using cargo as a ladder to reach the floor. He lit a tinder and found a good place to stash the items, where they would be easily found but also seem to have been hidden. He then took the one remaining item, a golden chalice inscribed to the King, and he climbed back out of the hold.

They then went below decks to search out the captain's cabin, where the man then hid the chalice where it could also be easily found.

The men crept topside, leaving the ship as quietly as they had boarded. Their task complete, the empty bag was slung over a shoulder and the men moved on silently, away from the docks.

*****

"Is it business that keeps your husband occupied tonight, Countess?" A terribly young brunette, out for her first season, asked of Arianna.

Arianna left the question suspended in the air around their small circle as she took a sip from her glass and decided how to answer.

"Of a sense, I suppose 'tis business." She replied demurely.

Lady Clarice Winters, an acquaintance of Arianna's since their mutual, first season, spoke before the young girl could pry any further, "May I ask what changed, Lady Arianna? At the end of last season you were quite miffed with the betrothal your father arranged for you."

"Oh, but that was before my husband saved me from pirates." Arianna laughed the incident off as if ladies were attacked by pirates daily.

"Pirates!" Lady Clarice exclaimed, her wrist working a fan furiously to cool her flushed skin at the thought. "Your husband rescued you from pirates?"

"Twice, actually. As well as a crooked Admiral and a murderous madman." Arianna nodded enthusiastically, then let the matter drop, looking around for the next person to strike up conversation.

"Now, Lady Arianna," One of a dozen men who had pressed her father for her hand, and a close friend of her brother, the Marquess of Westhaven interjected, "This is a story I simply must hear."

"Oh no, Daniel, I would not want to bore you with my lengthy tale." Arianna laughed her reply, waving her wedding ringed hand about, she again spoke as if being rescued from pirates was of no consequence.

"I must insist, Countess." The Marquess pleaded with her to oblige.

Arianna lifted her eyes to Will with satisfaction, and he smirked while winking down at her.

"If you insist, Lord Westhaven. You see, the ship I was sailing upon was attacked by pirates not long after our departure..." As Arianna began to recount her story in a very romantic light, William hid a grin behind his glass and watched the crowds close in around them, as all strained to hear Arianna's soft voice above the music.

******

The Duke of Marlborough stood behind his son's desk in the old sunroom. Will had transformed this room in the family's city home to use as his own personal study. A small smile crossed William's face as he remembered the indoor garden that his wife had kept in this room. If he closed his eyes, he could almost smell the herbs and flowers once more. As he let the memory fade, his eyes fell on the invitation that had been left open on the otherwise clear desk. The invitation was for one of Lady Harrison's legendary balls that was scheduled for this evening. Well, William thought, I suppose this ball is going to be much more legendary than Lady Harrison had planned. Retrieving the invitation, William tucked it into his coat pocket and descended the stairs, intending to inform his wife of their children's location. As he descended into the foyer, however, a sharp rap against the front door brought his butler hobbling from the kitchen.

"I shall answer it, Bentley, thank you." William spoke decisively.

"Your Grace." Bentley nodded, and turned back the way he had come.

The Duke moved to the door and admitted the Marquess.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

416K 15.4K 53
Prim Claremonte is nothing short of royalty. Her life has been one of riches, balls, and endless pampering. Things only begin to look brighter when h...
842 44 64
It's the early 1700s, the pirate nation is thriving as its next king takes the throne. Trouble awaits on the horizon as the King finds himself in a d...
302K 28.1K 39
Wattys shortlist 2021 "I'm already loving this story" - _singforjoy_ "You are going to get me what I want," Isla said, calmly. "Or I will kill you." ...
37.1K 1.2K 42
Lily Jane Sparrow is the Daughter of the Infamous Captain Jack sparrow, and a girl who thought her life could not get anymore complicated, living wit...