Strange Fascination

By TransientGoofball

Spock x Reader (OC) ~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~ I take a second look at him, noticing the way his eyebrows end in sha... More

Chapter 2 // I Will Do Neither
Chapter 3 // End of the Day

Chapter 1 // To Boldly Go

72 2 0
By TransientGoofball

Taking one last deep breath I step onto the transporter pad.

"Y'hhau, rinam!!!" Niro, my childhood friend, shouts, waving dramatically from where she's standing behind the gate.

The man behind the controls pushes her back with a skeptical and distrusting look, but she still excitedly thrashes her arms around with a beaming smile. Niro and I had met when her family had moved to Earth in the living space next to mine, and we've been inseparable since then. I can still remember running around with her at school playing Star Ship. Niro would always be the Captain (despite other kids saying that no girl, and especially a Romulan, could ever be a federation Captain) and I would be her second in command.

I can't believe how far we've come.

"Hveolhaonn htaodt'ia'rhoinnie hwiiy!" I attempt to wave back– propping one knee up and resting the box holding the last of my things there.

It was bittersweet, leaving Niro like this. She had earned a position on a Star Ship as a Navigator, and I was across the galaxy with joy, but I still wish we were stationed together.

"We're beaming her up now, Captain"

This is it. This is happening.

"Cora!!!" Niro yells, as I fade away "Don't forget to message!!!"

***

"Welcome aboard the USS Enterprise, Miss." A man with a thick Scottish accent says. He wears a red shirt and a huge smile that reaches his ears.

I don't think I've ever seen someone look so happy to meet me.

He steps out from behind the controls and makes a gentle gesture to reach for the box I'm holding.

"Oh, Thank you! I'm Cora Fleming, the new science officer."

"Lieutenant Commander Scott; chief engineer. I'll be happy to show you around the place– Once you get settled in you have to see the engine room, it's state of the art-" the man, Scott, rambles passionately about the ship as he leads me to my quarters. It's endearing, in a way, the way he talks about the ship. He loses me when he starts talking about the intricacies of what makes us able to hold as high warp speeds as we do.

Getting out of the turbo-lift, I follow Mr. Scott down the hall.

"Alrighty, these are your quarters. Once you get everything in order, report to bridge, Captain'll want to meet you."

I thank him and wave goodbye as if what he said didn't instantly make me panic. It's a lot to take in. One moment I'm an unassigned ensign bouncing from ship-to-ship and the next I'm a science officer going to meet the Captain of a Star Ship. And not just any Captain: Captain Kirk. Sure, his methods are questioned by a lot of people at the academy, but he's still widely considered one of the best.

Checking the closet, I see that they've already folded and hung up the clothes I'd sent. I unpack the rest of my things and hit one of the buttons next to me. A section of the wall flips around, revealing a full-body mirror, along with several extra drawers.

Okay. You can do this. You've trained practically your whole life for this.

I give myself a once over in the mirror, running my hands down the uniform. I know it's probably just First-Day-Jitters anyway. I'll be less... tense... once I meet everyone and get into the swing of things.

A few minutes later I find myself stepping out of the turbo lift and onto the bridge. The Captain doesn't turn around yet. I take in the sights and sounds of the bridge for a moment. Everyone is working at their stations, but it doesn't seem like there's anything too urgent happening right now.

"Science Officer Cora Fleming reporting, Sir."

The Captain's seat swivels around to face me where I stand next to him. He makes eye contact and a welcoming grin spreads across his face.

"Welcome aboard, Miss Fleming. I am Captain James Kirk as I'm sure you're aware." As he says this, he reaches out for a handshake. "We can always use another science officer."

The chair turns to the left, and Kirk quickly scans the room. He frowns, before rapidly coming to some sort of realization.

"Some members of the bridge crew are on break at the moment, but you'll get to know everyone in time." Kirk sends another confident smile my way as I walk back up the steps.

"Lieutenant Uhura, miss" The woman at Coms, Uhura, greets me with a subtle wave. "I can already tell you're eager to get to work, but I would love to show you around tomorrow."

"Oh! That would be wonderful!"

After chatting some more with Uhura and meeting a few more members of the bridge crew, I enter the turbo lift. Uhura was right, I am ready to get started. That'll probably help ease my nerves; when I'm in my element, doing the scientific work that I love, I tend to be less self-conscious.

The lift stops prematurely, letting someone in blue step in. He walks in with his hands clasped behind his back, barely making eye contact before facing the entrance again.

"Science Labs"

Should I try to make conversation? He must be one of my colleagues- considering he's a blue shirt and is also on his way to the science floor- but he doesn't seem like much of a talker.

I take a second look at him, noticing the way his eyebrows end in sharp, upward strokes, and his ears in a pointed tip. Soft blue and purple eyeshadow accent his face and dark eyes. He's most likely a Vulcan... or a Romulan, based on the features. Though, given his cold, stoic poise, I'd have to say the former.

Without shifting his position, his eyes move to glance at me momentarily. We lock eyes and I quickly face the door again, embarrassed. Damn it, I shouldn't stare.

The silence turns from dull to awkward.

"So, uh..." I begin, and he tilts his head in my direction at the sound, eyes on me again. "Do you enjoy working on the Enterprise?"

One of his eyebrows quirks up. "I am here, and considering you are as well I find that to be self-explanatory, and, therefore, a trivial inquiry."

Wow.

Okay, he's either a Vulcan or an asshole.

I look back down at my feet. I feel him staring as the seconds tick by.

Wait... shouldn't the turbo-lift have opened by now? My eyebrows furrow together and I start looking around the lift. The man beside me seems to have come to a similar conclusion, and despite his emotionless exterior, seems to show a deeper sense of confusion.

"It appears the lift has stopped," He states, crossing his arms together in front of his chest.

"Damn it."

I groan, and move past him, setting my hands on the sliding doors.

"That would be unwise, considering the fact that we are currently in between floors."

Sighing, and I turn around. "And how can you be so sure?"

His hands return to their place behind his back.

"I had been standing in this lift for precisely forty-seven seconds before it stopped, and at its constant velocity of two-hundred and fifty feet per minute, that would put us at the space between decks five and six." He pauses, taking a few side steps towards me. "Meaning, that even if you could pry the automatic doors open, we would be faced with yet another practically impenetrable surface."

The man (Vulcan?) ends his explanation with his eyebrows slightly raised, his frame tilting forward on his feet. I draw my lips into a tight line, exhaling deeply.

"fuck... well, this day is going great..." I mutter.

A pause.

"I hardly understand why our predicament contributes to a 'great day' " He says, and I can hear the heavy quotes in his voice.

I suck in a sharp breath. "It was- never mind."

I sigh. There's no point in being annoyed with him. I barely know the guy anyway. I run my hands against the walls, despite his prior remarks.

"Need I remind you-"

"Wait wait wait-"

My fingers stop on one of the lift panels, tugging on the edges. It doesn't budge, but I don't stop. All of a sudden I feel a presence standing over my shoulder.

"I would like you to explain how you intend to fix the lift, considering our lack of tools and your lack of mechanical expertise."

"Oh, so you have a better plan?" I tilt my head in his direction, only now taking notice of how close our faces are. I doubt there's any way I could move away and be able to rationalize it to him, so I don't.

I look away, focusing on trying to get a grip on one of the panels enough to yank it back. Seconds later the Vulcan and I are thrown to the other side of the lift. Before I can even say anything, a piercing siren starts blaring, coating the small space with red light. The intercom buzzes to life:

"Red alert. I repeat; red alert. This is not a drill. An intruder is likely on board the Enterprise. They may be armed. Internal functions may be damaged or malfunctioning. Everyone assume battle stations and stand by, I repeat: battle stations and stand by." Uhura's voice buzzes through the intercom of the elevator.

I instinctively look over to the officer (I feel like the window to introduce ourselves has left) beside me. His jaw seems tighter than before, and his gaze feels... daunting.

I put my hands up by my face in a sort of defensive shrug. "Relax, I was with you."

He doesn't say anything, instead, he inspects me for a moment further before his attention is caught elsewhere, and he swiftly moves past me.

"It appears I had made judgments of your methods too soon. I apologize."

I look over his shoulder at the now open panel in the wall.

"The momentum must've given me enough force to yank it backward..." I state, mostly to myself. He crouches down to get a closer look. "I may be able to open the doors from here, but it will take time."

"Well, it's worth a shot," I say.

I sigh and go to sit on my knees a few feet away from him. His head lifts from his work, making momentary eye contact.

"This might take a while, no point in standing the whole time," I grow nervous under his gaze, letting out a small laugh to ease my anxieties.

Except he doesn't respond, his head ducking back down with a look of intensity. I look down at my hands.

Wait, how could I have forgotten?

I quickly jump up, grabbing my communicator from the belt around my waist. Flicking it open I am met with static interference.

"Hello? This Science Officer Cora Fleming, can anyone hear me?" I start adjusting the frequencies on my communicator, but it's no use. "Anyone? One other crew member and I are stuck in the turbo-lift. Can anyone read me?"

Static.

I let out a huff in defeat, turning back towards the Vulcan.

"Any luck yet?"

He doesn't look up, continuing to inspect the various wires and equipment. "I fail to see how luck will factor into manipulating the mechanisms of this door." Now he glances up at me, briefly. "Progress takes time, not luck."

I blink at him a few times. "In Standard?"

"It will take approximately 2.8397 hours. Any quicker would risk possible electrical fire, damage to the life support systems connected to our lift, extreme dange-"

"Okay okay okay," I put my hands up and back away a little. "Take your time."

"Considering our lack of communication with the Captain, I am unsure if time is something we have in abundance." He says, his voice taking a more grave tone.

I suck in a sharp breath and sit back down. The officer is right– with communications down we have no way of knowing how serious this is. Or if the threat is still present. All we can do is try and get out of the lift, which is proving to be a very laborious task.

And if we can't, then my first day aboard the Enterprise may be my last.

(Author's Note: Greetings fellow nerds, turds, and romance birds; I hope you enjoyed the the first chapter ✨ I have some idea of where I want to take this story, but PLEASE,  if you have any suggestions don't be afraid to comment since I will take them into consideration.

The next chapter should be out by November 15 (the LATEST;  possibly earlier)

(And lmk if I should keep it or change the character to Y/N)

--Live last and get fucked 🖖 )

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

154K 11.1K 61
BOOK #2 They say love heals scars, but Seokmin's scars were lessons-bitter reminders that twisted him into a creature of darkness. His life was a ser...
125K 7.4K 91
"Great news! Wei WuXian has died!" "Wait- WHAT?!" "But I'm still here." The juniors (Lan Sizhui, Lan Jingyi, Jin Ling, and Ouyang Zizhen) accidentall...
82.5K 2.4K 38
Francesca Astor came to Love Island to find her soulmate, and once she sets her eyes on him, she's never letting go. Rob Rausch x Fem!oc #1 robertrau...
295K 7.2K 53
what will happen to ayasha (🐶) after their marriage contract with mikael (🦊) ended? Knowing that she's pregnant with the billionaire? This story a...