A Flight of Broken Wings: Aer...

By Nupur_C

Six hundred years ago, humanity rose up in revolt against the Aeriels. They were driven from earth - and back... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
The Aeriel Trilogy #2: A Call for Brighter Days
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Book 2: Continued

Chapter 112

0 0 0
By Nupur_C

"What are you called then, young man?" the woman called Geeti asked, leaning forward with some interest. "I spent a few years in Chetla myself, before my marriage."

"Ruban. Ruban Kinoh," he said with what he hoped was a friendly smile.

The old woman tilted her head to one side. "Kinoh...Kinoh. Ah yes, big house by the river. How odd," she said, squinting doubtfully at Ruban. "I'd have expected you to be older. What's that no-good brother of yours doing these days?"

Luana laughed. "I think you've got the wrong Kinoh there, my dear Geeti. I do believe this is Abhas's son, aren't you dear? Your father used to be quite the sensation in these parts back in the day, you know." She smiled, a faraway look in her eyes. "I do hope he's doing well."

Now that Ruban thought about it, Luana couldn't have been much younger than his father. She was fifty if she was a day. "He...ah. He passed away a few years ago, I'm afraid," he said, shifting uncomfortably in his chair. This was not a conversation he wanted to have. Not now, and definitely not here.

Luana's face crumpled, and for a moment he feared she was going to cry. She didn't, though. She simply sat still for a few seconds, her eyes bright. Then she smiled a watery little smile at Ruban, dabbing at the corners of her eyes with a tissue. "Oh," she said after a moment. "Oh, I am so sorry to hear that, I am. He was a good man, your father. A very nice man. Of course I was only a girl when he left for the capital to be a bigshot officer," she laughed. "He never did like being cooped up in a small town, that one. And then Subhas went after him, following in big brother's footsteps. I can hardly believe it's been so many years since I last saw either of them."

"Y-you knew my father?" Ruban stammered, staring wide-eyed at Luana. He supposed he looked like an idiot, but he couldn't bring himself to care.

Luana nodded. "Of course. My mother worked at the Kinoh House, way back in the day. Prettiest house in Chetla it was too, less than a five-minute walk from the river. Still is, I'd say. All these great modern buildings with their chrome and glass exteriors. They look like bloody great mirrors, in my opinion. And ugly to boot. I'd take a cosy little old-fashioned villa any day over all this modern rigmarole. Well, your father left for Ragah soon after my mother passed away, and then Subhas went after him. I got married and moved out here to Daranj the year after they left. It's strange, isn't it? How quickly time goes by. I remember them all like I saw 'em yesterday."

Ruban frowned. "My father...he went to Ragah?"

"He did, indeed. He'd gotten a scholarship to that Hunter training school in the capital. Bracken, it's called, isn't it? Yes that's it," she nodded, a hint of pride in her voice. "He'd always wanted to study there. Although everyone said that it was almost impossible to get in. Not that that was going to stop Abhas, of course. He got a full scholarship too; I remember that day as clearly as if it was only last week. It was just before Mummy got sick. And then he took Subhas with him to Ragah a couple of years later. I believe he went to Bracken as well."

"Well, couldn't have been that hard to get in then, could it?" scoffed Geeti, taking a derisive bite of her bread. "Not if that no-good boy got in."

Luana laughed. She seemed to have gotten over some of her melancholy. "Subhas wasn't that bad. I always think he only acted out sometimes because everybody kept comparing him to his brother. Couldn't have been easy, that.

"Still, 'tis a very pretty lady that lives in the Kinoh House now. A relative of yours, is she? Don't remember having seen her around here before. Now that's a lady pretty enough for that beautiful old house, I always say to Lidan. That'd be my son, of course."

"A lady? At the Chetla house?" Ruban repeated, his brow furrowing in surprise. "Uncle Subhas never told me he was planning to sell the house...though I guess it's just as well. Not like there's anyone to look after the place anyway."

"Ah, so you don't know her then?" said Luana, collecting their plates. "That's a shame."

"Well,"began Ashwin, rising to take some of the utensils from their hostess, despiteher protests. Ruban had almost forgotten the Aeriel was still there. "I supposeit can't hurt to go and introduce ourselves, if she's as stunning as you sayshe is. Wouldn't you agree, Ruban?" 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12 4 91
After six centuries of conflict and bloodshed, Earth and Vaan are on the brink of a truce. Yet, not everyone's cheering for peace, and clandestine fo...
27.5K 1.7K 95
"I had been an immortal for as long as I can remember, and have just one enemy. SELF" "If I can finish my thousand years of sacrifice, I'll be able t...
20.4K 522 23
( So this is my first real book so don't judge. Kinda clichΓ© so there I warned you. Starting to slowly edit and change a few things. Okay A LOT of th...
7.5K 2K 16
𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐀 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐨𝐟 π“π‘πž Battle 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐒𝐞𝐬' ΰ³ƒβ€βž·" what is wrong loving a devil as long the devil love you the way he loves hell ' In an...