FOTIA - percy jackson

By eustelia

๐‘ฐ๐‘ต ๐‘พ๐‘ฏ๐‘ฐ๐‘ช๐‘ฏ; Loralai Fotia, an undetermined demigod with a cursed mother learns to tolerate Percy Jackson... More

โ‡ ๐ข๐ง๐ญ๐ซ๐จ๐๐ฎ๐œ๐ญ๐ข๐จ๐ง๐ฌ
๐š๐œ๐ญ ๐จ๐ง๐ž โ‡ [๐˜›๐˜๐˜Œ ๐˜“๐˜๐˜Ž๐˜๐˜›๐˜•๐˜๐˜•๐˜Ž ๐˜›๐˜๐˜๐˜Œ๐˜]
๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ; our pre-algebra teacher
๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ‘; back home
๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ’; waves of theories
๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ“; cabin eleven
๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ”; burst pipes
๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ•; flaming food
๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ–; capture the flag
๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ—; quests and dreams
๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ; fire in a rainstorm
๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ; snakes, sticks & stones
๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ; familiarity & a poodle's advice
๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ‘; a deadly dive
๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ’; bonnie and clyde
๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ“; a godly trap
๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ”; what happens in vegas, stays in vegas
๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ•; a medieval waterbed
๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ–; doggy daycare
๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ—; realize, real lies
๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ; family feud
๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ; reunion in the clouds
๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ; festivities to fear
๐š๐œ๐ญ ๐ญ๐ฐ๐จ โ‡ [๐˜›๐˜๐˜Œ ๐˜š๐˜Œ๐˜ˆ ๐˜–๐˜ ๐˜”๐˜–๐˜•๐˜š๐˜›๐˜Œ๐˜™๐˜š]

๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ; goodbyes and eavesdropping

436 30 12
By eustelia

VIVID DREAMS OF  demigods were always warnings. Only some of those warnings were clear. Like, hey, you're going on a quest at this time with these people, you're welcome. Others, especially Loralai's... not so much.

For the rest of the school year, Loralai had a recurring dream. In this dream, she would wake up seven-years-old, in Camp Half-Blood. This Camp Half-Blood felt different to the one she loved. The smell of rotten eggs and copper, a dead version of her home.

At the start of the dream, she would walk out of a cabin without tripping over. Which, out of context, sounds a little odd. However, considering Loralai's was undetermined and was placed in Cabin 11, the Hermes cabin, this was a shock.

When she would walk out, the sky was a dark red. The green grass of the camp was dead and the strawberry fields were replaced with black roses, the threatening thorns bigger than the actual flowers themselves. She would try her hardest to run to the big house, to find Chiron or even Mr. D and ask them what was happening, but every time she thought she would make it, she was stopped.

Stopped by that eerie smile, those wide eyes. Her mother.

Loralai assumed that her mother was alive, although she hadn't exactly checked up on her for around five years. The gray skin and lifeless groans of warning convinced her otherwise.

The strained sounds of her mother seemed like she was begging Loralai to listen to her worries. Loralai could never truly decipher or process what she was saying. It was as though there was a distortion filter placed upon her– fuzzy sounds overpowering her in the background like an untuned radio.

The wake-up routine following the dream was painful. She would be drenched in sweat. Not scared sweat, but rather sweat like she had just been in a sauna. Loralai's roommates were starting to get annoyed by the scream she would let out when she felt the fire-like sensation engulfing her bones. She would toss off the covers hurriedly, desperate to feel some cold air, desperate for the water placed on her nightstand to soothe her pain.

Loralai was turning into their personal rooster. 

There were some benefits to this. Waking up early gave her an extra opportunity to study for finals week, something a lot of her classmates were stressing about, especially Percy. Mr. Brunner had put extra pressure onto the boy for his Latin exam in particular, saying that it was life-and-death for him. Way to be subtle.

When she first noticed Percy Jackson trying to trip up their classmates regarding Mrs. Dodds, she brushed it off. Their pre-algebra teacher had been replaced by a perky blonde named Mrs. Kerr and the mortals all were convinced that she had been their teacher since Christmas.

The only people that remembered Mrs. Dodds were Chiron, Grover, her and Percy. Three of which were sworn to secrecy. 

Chiron lied to Percy with ease the few times Percy asked him about Mrs. Dodds. The boy tried to avoid Loralai as much as possible, but the one time he did ask, Loralai just made him feel stupid with her false pity. She told him that maybe he had hit his head somehow and gotten confused, Percy had shouted at her saying that he wasn't crazy and that she should worry about her own head. What a drama queen.

The girl would admit that Percy had been a learning experience for her; he trained her on how to control her fiery temper, Loralai a year ago would've slapped him right then and there. The temptation was still prominent.

It was the nearing close to finals week when Percy asked Grover for the fifth time about Mrs. Dodds; he was determined to convince himself that he wasn't crazy before the Summer, or before he was expelled. Lashing out more often at the teachers, Nancy and her friends, his grades dropping from D's to F's... these were just a few ways he was getting on Yancy Academy's nerves. If only someone had offered him help... A distasteful feeling was left in Loralai's stomach whenever he complained about his grades.

The person closest to Percy, Grover hadn't had much practice as the other two with lying, especially to a pressuring boy like Percy. Which became a problem as Percy began to ask him more often.

"Grover, doesn't this annoying teacher remind you of Mrs. Dodds?" Percy questioned, raising a brow in anticipation as he stared at their English teacher Mr. Nicoll. Grover paused, gulping nervously. "Who's Mrs. Dodds?" Grover said, acting clueless. The conversation made Loralai snap her head to look at them from across the room. "Our old pre-algebra teacher," Percy replied calmly, tapping his pen and bouncing his knee up and down. 

Grover blushed red, "You're funny, man," he commented with a slight voice-crack. By the time Grover noticed Loralai signaling for him to stop talking, he had already slipped up. Widening her eyes, she knew that Percy had already gotten his answer as to whether or not he was actually crazy. She could tell by the smug I'm-right look gleam on his face.

When Grover met the brunette's eyes, he had a sorrowful look that made Loralai feel bad for the harsh anger bubbling in her throat towards the satyr. Going back to her study, she exhaled heavily. Grover had messed up, sure, but at least her and Chiron didn't. It was 2-1.

As her pen scratched the paper, she felt someone's eyes burning into her. She looked up. Percy.

 The piercing eye contact conveyed a message: "You lied." If he wasn't about an inch shorter than her and an utter idiot, she would've felt intimidated. Instead, she just furrowed her brows and mouthed a sassy, "what?" as though she had no idea why he was looking.

Scoffing, Percy looked away. "This is bullshit," he muttered. Mr. Nicoll turned around angrily, catching the words like a bat. "Mr. Jackson, I would suggest not wasting your study time swearing," the English teacher spat. Percy tucked in his lips, an annoyed expression on his face as he glanced at Grover beside him.

"Tell me, Perseus. Why is it that you have time to roll your eyes at me, but not study? Why are you so lazy that you can't even study?" Mr. Nicoll's booming voice silenced that classroom, everyone's eyes on Percy. The boy felt enraged at his accusation. "I didn't even roll my eyes, sir," Percy said mockingly, "you'd know that if you weren't blind, you old sot!"

Several people gasped. Loralai hid her quiet laugh behind her hands as she watched their English teacher turn into a bull (no, not literally), adjusting his glasses. "That's it! Go to the princi–"

"Yeah, yeah," Percy interrupted dismissively, angrily shoving his stuff in his bag and stomping towards the door. Slamming the door behind him, the classroom remained silent after Percy's outburst. Even Nancy wasn't laughing, her mouth agape.

Originally, Loralai found the situation humorous, but her face was now blank with understanding. The feeling like everyone was hiding something from you was something she was familiar with. She shared a swift but meaningful look with Grover. 

They needed to move faster.

-

THE EVENING BEFORE  the classes final, Chiron called Grover and Loralai to his idea of a secluded space: his office. With some credit, people were all pulling their hair out studying so no one was roaming the halls. They thought.

"Sir, we're all worried about Percy, sir," Grover said, nervously repeating himself. The situation had gotten out of hand. By situation, they meant Percy. Earth quaking, spontaneous Percy. 

"We can't leave him in New York alone this Summer," Loralai stated. "A Kindly One in the school? We can't guarantee it won't follow him all the way back to wherever he's staying."

Chiron tilted his head, partially understanding their point of view. "Now that we know for sure, they know too–" Mr. Brunner interrupted him, motioning with his hands, "We would only make matters worse by rushing him." Loralai bit the inside of her cheek angrily. He had been given plenty of time. "We need the boy to mature more."

The last part, the girl agreed on. Percy was the most irritating, immature and insulting demigod she had the pleasure to meet so far. "But he may not have more time," Grover began, "the Summer solstice deadline–"

"Will have to be resolved without him, Grover. Let him enjoy his ignorance while he still can."

As Loralai listened to the two debates, she couldn't help but feel a creeping feeling on the back of her neck, urging her to turn around. Dismissing this as anxiety, she focused herself on the detailed stained glass just past Chiron's desk. The light from the moon was shining onto her and the doorway.

"Sir, he saw her..."

"His imagination," Chiron insisted. "The Mist over the students and staff will be enough to convince him of that." Loralai sighed. "Trust me, he already thinks we're lying," she uttered, crossing her arms. Ignoring her, Grover begged, "Sir, I... I can't fail my duties again." Grover's voice was choked with emotion. "You know what that would mean." The girl thought of his license and pursed her lips. His dream of finding pan was shared by all satyrs, but Loralai figured Grover was the most motivated one she had come across.

"You haven't failed, Grover," Chiron said comfortingly. "I should have listened to Loralai earlier and seen her for who she truly was." Loralai felt a surge of pride overtake her. He really should've. Now let's just worry about keeping Percy alive until next Autumn–"

Bang! In the distance the three heard an object clatter to the floor. Loralai flicked her head around to the crack in the doorway, the moon illuminating just enough so that she saw a shadow running away. The girl squinted her eyes at the strange familiarity of the figure.

Chiron raised his archer's bow instantly. When there was no further sound, the three slowly made their way into the hallway, the soft clip-clop of Grover's hooves showering them in suspense. After a moment, Chiron concluded, "Nothing. My nerves haven't been right since the Winter solstice."

Grover agreed softly. Loralai said nothing, subtly nodding. "But I saw a..." Loralai whispered. "Go back to your dorms," Chiron commanded them. "You've got a long day of exams tomorrow." Grover huffed exasperatingly, replying, "Don't remind me."

The lights flickered off in Mr. Brunner's office.

-

THE EXAM THE next day went swimmingly for Loralai. She finished early, but insisted herself to double-check her work, the girl would be embarrassed if she had accidentally gotten something wrong.

Glancing beside her, Loralai observed the beads of sweat trickling down Percy's forehead as his knuckles went white, strangling the blue pen in his hand. The small amount of pity in her wanted to whisper the spelling, she saw the repetitive scribbles over a name. Just as she was about to open her mouth, she closed it, shaking her head.

Simultaneously, Percy and Loralai scraped their chairs backwards and raised out of their seats. Percy refrained himself from rolling his eyes at the unexpected unity. They both swiftly handed in their tests and just as Percy was about to leave, Mr. Brunner called him back.

Loralai saw panic race across his face. Maybe he thought he would get in trouble for something he didn't do again. The girl stopped walking, unsure as to why. Probably because she wanted to see this play out.

"Percy," Mr. Brunner said. "Don't be discouraged about leaving Yancy. It's... it's for the best." His tone was kind, but Percy's face went red. Despite Mr. Brunner's attempt at being quiet, the other kids finishing the test could hear. Nancy Bobofit smirked at Percy and made sarcastic little kissing motions with her lips. "Okay, sir," Percy mumbled.

Loralai could see where this was going: Chiron tried to comfort someone, insulted them with a misuse of words and they stormed out. He had done it a few times with her, the topic being vaguely about how "some people were never claimed". Thinking of it made her eyes sting.

"I mean.." Chiron wheeled his chair in a back and forth pattern, debating on his words. "This isn't the right place for you. It was only a matter of time." Loralai watched Percy's body freeze. Although she knew the true meaning behind the words, to a blind eye they would be a jab at Percy's character. "Right," Percy said, trembling. Quickly correcting himself, Chiron said, "No no. Oh, confound it all. What I'm trying to say... you're not normal Percy. That's nothing to be–"

Swiftly, Loralai clasped a hand around her mouth in shock at the careless slip up. She then pressed it back to her side before Percy could see and think that she was smiling. "Thanks," Percy blurted. "Thanks a lot, sir, for reminding me."

Brushing past Loralai with a scowl, he was already gone by the time Chiron managed a small, "Percy–"

-

RELIEF WASHED OVER Loralai as she packed her things. The girls in her dorm were talking about where they were going on holiday for the Summer. One Greece, one Italy, and two Paris. Loralai resisted the urge to cover her ears as they squealed at all their ideas to hang out in Paris together. Picnicking underneath the Eiffel Tower wasn't on the brunette's Summer checklist. Saving the world... perhaps.

Just as Loralai was about to leave, they asked her where she was going for the Summer, she paused in surprise. It seemed as though her roommates had secretly formed a pact not to speak with her ever since her dreams, or nightmares, started. "I'm going to reconnect with my dad," she finally said, a hidden spark of hope in her tone. A couple of the girls smiled, Yancy Academy's students all had their flaws. It was, of course, still a school for troubled kids, which usually came along with troubled families. "Where does your dad live?"

"Greece and New York," she replied, not entirely lying. There was a moment of silence before one of them muttered a small, "cool." The group burst out into chatter as soon as Loralai crept into the hallway, her suitcase rolling behind her.

The shiny dark-oak floors waved goodbye as she made her way down the stairs. Grover had asked her if she wanted to take the bus with her and Percy, Loralai had politely declined. A school year of stinky students was enough, let alone a long bus ride with more stinky students.

Oliver Caesar, an older son of Apollo that she was close to at camp, had offered to give her a ride to Camp, as he was attending a school nearby. The thought of a relaxing ride home made Loralai smile as she spotted Oliver's janky old car, the blue paint rusting off.

Before she reached it, Loralai felt a slight tap on her shoulder. Whipping her head around, she was greeted with a wistful Grover. "I'll see you soon," he said, smiling. She didn't miss how it fell with worry as he glanced at Percy.

The green eyes of Percy Jackson met her amber ones as they shared an understanding look.

Before it got awkward, Loralai cleared her throat. "Take care of yourself, Grover." The two shared a quick hug. After separating, the girl nodded once towards the other boy. "Percy." Percy put his hands in his pockets, staring at Oliver, who was waiting in the passenger seat. "Loralai."

With mixed feelings, Loralai got into the car.

-

(a/n)

- like i said, CRUMBSSS. omg understanding omg unidentified feeling omg putting her hand to her side to make sure he didn't think she was laughing at him. omg PITY???!!! for a struggling demigods??? no wayyyy. 

- anyway thank you for the support so far! im honestly going to have to update like crazy if i want to finish this within my crazy deadlines but we're cool

- the earthquake referencee, my girls smart.

-guys remember that this story is MOSTLY written about what LORALAI sees and thinks. she ONLY SLIGHTLY an unreliable "narrator" even tho this is third person

PLEASEEEE remember to vote! pressing a small star button goes a long way in terms of support! thank you so much!

-eustelia

wordcount: 2734

----

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

52.1K 2.4K 19
โœง๏ฝฅ๏พŸ: โœง๏ฝฅ๏พŸ: ๐“๐‡๐„ ๐๐€๐“๐“๐‹๐„ ๐Ž๐… ๐“๐‡๐„ ๐‹๐€๐๐˜๐‘๐ˆ๐๐“๐‡ :๏ฝฅ๏พŸโœง:๏ฝฅ๏พŸโœง โœง๏ฝฅ๏พŸ: โœง๏ฝฅ๏พŸ: ๐“๐‡๐„ ๐‹๐€๐’๐“ ๐Ž๐‹๐˜๐Œ๐๐ˆ๐€๐ :๏ฝฅ๏พŸโœง:๏ฝฅ๏พŸโœง "๐Ž๐ก ๐ฆ๐ฒ, ๐ฆ๐ฒ, ๐ฆ๐ฒ. ๐๏ฟฝ...
32.2K 848 27
แด˜แดŠแด า“า“ - แด›สœแด‡ ส™แด€แด›แด›สŸแด‡ แดา“ แด›สœแด‡ สŸแด€ส™สส€ษชษดแด›สœ "๐‘Œ๐‘œ๐‘ข'๐‘Ÿ๐‘’ ๐‘ก๐‘œ๐‘œ ๐‘๐‘Ÿ๐‘’๐‘ก๐‘ก๐‘ฆ ๐‘ก๐‘œ ๐‘‘๐‘–๐‘’." "๐‘Š๐‘’'๐‘Ÿ๐‘’ ๐‘Ž๐‘™๐‘™ ๐‘”๐‘œ๐‘–๐‘›๐‘” ๐‘ก๐‘œ ๐‘‘๐‘–๐‘’ ๐‘ ๐‘œ๐‘š๐‘’๐‘‘๐‘Ž...
51K 884 14
"How could you? After everything you said to me, after everything I told you!" I say with tears in my eyes. "Join me. You'll understand. We could be...
104K 5.2K 39
๐…๐Ž๐‘๐†๐„๐“ ๐Œ๐„ ๐๐Ž๐“!โ”€โ”€โ”€ ๐ฐ๐ก๐š๐ญ'๐ฌ ๐ข๐ญ ๐ฅ๐ข๐ค๐ž ๐ญ๐จ ๐Ÿ๐จ๐ซ๐ ๐ž๐ญ ๐ฐ๐ก๐จ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐š๐ซ๐ž? ๐ค๐ข๐ง๐ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ฅ๐ข๐ค๐ž ๐Ÿ๐š๐ฅ๐ฅ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ข๐ง ๐ฅ๐จ๐ฏ๐ž. ...