Big Shot

By moonraess

[18+] When college football superstar Reid Donahue is ready for a comeback following a gruesome injury, the u... More

visuals+mixtapes
01 | spring tide
02 | diamonds are a girl
03 | caffeine crystal ball
04 | blind tiger
05 | family ties
06 | what's your fantasy
07 | with or without you
08 | the sun
09 | in too deep
10 | picture day
11 | it girl dress
12 | the gauntlet
13 | burn
14 | human supernova
15 | idle worship
16 | control
17 | inside out, pt i
18 | inside out, pt ii
19 | cover 2
THE RESURGENCE OF REID DONAHUE, PART I: THE ARCHER
20 | effortless charm
21 | hero ball, pt i
22 | hero ball, pt ii
23 | tradition
24 | tubthumping
25 | confessions of a college drama queen
26 | homecoming
THE RESURGENCE OF REID DONAHUE, PART II: COMING HOME
27 | blood feud
28 | killer
29 | con job
30 | end of the world
31 | reid's comet
32 | irrational
33 | the hollow knight
34 | feels like
35 | nobody gets me like you

prelude

6.1K 117 75
By moonraess

Josephine 'Jo' Lawrence loves football. That's why she went to Clemson University - to be part of one of the best media programs in the country for one of the most exciting football programs in the country. But that doesn't mean she loves football players. She just knows that if she wants a legitimate place in a notoriously male dominated industry, she has to be prepared for it all...especially someone like Reid Donahue.

As in, star quarterback, Heisman front-runner, projected number one overall draft pick Reid Donahue. While the public might love his tenacity, to Jo he's just the epitome of an arrogant jock who let the hype get to his head. But when Reid gets hurt in one of the most gruesome leg injuries ever seen on a college football field, that was the end of it all. Or so everyone thought.

A year and a half after the injury that nearly took away his ability to walk, Reid has somehow found his way back onto the football field. Not because he wants to, but because he needs to. When ESPN approaches Clemson to team up for a season-long piece following Reid's comeback, Jo - now a senior - is selected to front it, but neither of them are keen on spending their final football season at Clemson attached to each other's hip.

Despite her reservations on Reid's persona, Jo knows that if she wants a guaranteed in at ESPN when she graduates, this is the golden opportunity. But Reid, who has become withdrawn and reserved since his injury, sees it as nothing more than a way for people to pry into his privacy, and resents Jo for trying to use him as a springboard for her career. With summer training and a whole football season ahead, the two butt heads on almost everything, but through a shared love of football, the two find that being apart might be worse than being together.

━━━━━━

courtney eaton as
josephine 'jo' lawrence

josh allen as
reid donahue

sofia wylie as
mara faust

geraldine viswanathan as
bree salazar

matt cornett as
derek chase

stefon diggs as
jaylen 'jj' jameson

emily rudd as
kayla morrone

━ strong language, college parties, and mature sexual content

━ college football content written by someone with extensive knowledge of the sport and its culture, as well as a female lead who knows her shit too (meaning football-related terminology may not always be in simplistic, layman's terms, but please feel free to ask any questions if anything is unclear)

━ strong, goal-oriented female leads, women supporting women, and girls' girls

━ good grammar

━ literally just a lot football

━ non-toxic romances and realistically flawed protagonists

━ enemies to friends to lovers to friends to blah blah blah

━ single pov narrated exclusively by jo

when i was in college, i had a blog called the basic bitch's guide to fantasy football. yes, this was back when blogging was really a thing. i studied television production and sports journalism in college, and i did every single thing i possibly could to put myself in a position to succeed, because all i wanted to be was a college football analyst on ESPN. if you know me, you know i love a lot of sports (see overdrive, blind ambition, solar power/only chasing waves), but college football is my first love, and my most loyal love. but i was told no, you can't be that, because you're a girl, and what the hell do you know about the intricacies and inner workings of something like college football. keep in mind this was over 10 years ago, and while a lot of the misogyny has toned down, it's not gone.

this story is my love note to: all the joy and experiences football has given me, josh allen for helping me win fantasy football every year, my mom who taught me that girls can know just as much (if not more) about football than boys, and my husband for converting me into a clemson fan. this is for my girls who were told no just because you're a girl, and this is for my pipe dreams. they're not gone, they just live in my stories now. i'm super excited to put my love of football (and women in football) into a story <3

ps: this story is a very positive, joyful space for me. it took me out of a massive slump and writers block, and i am having the most fun writing that i've had in years. while thoughts and comments on the story are not only appreciated but strongly encouraged, negativity, rudeness, and general "pick me" behavior is not tolerated - i will delete comments that i feel violate that positive energy, and i have zero issue blocking people who are repeatedly disrespecting that.

& pretty please no fandom references of any kind. my work is my work, and directly associating it with certain people or fandoms, or implying that i'm only writing this for or because of certain fandoms is extremely reductionist and hurtful, tysm <3

Copyright 2023 (moonraess) | All Rights Reserved

This is a work of fiction. My characters' views, actions, and opinions may not always align with my own.

This story in its entirety may not be reproduced, downloaded, disseminated, published, or transferred in any form by any means, except with explicit permission by its creator. Alternatively, don't steal my shit. I don't take plagiarism lightly and I will put you in a wood chipper, Fargo style.

━━━━━━

leave your ftr (first time reader) in the comments below if this is your first time here, or if you've come here from one of my other stories. let me know where you're from, what you're doing right now, etc xoxo

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

105K 3.3K 25
After losing a friend, Clover Fields finds comfort in the one person who understands her feelings-Jared, her best friends brother. ...
53.3K 2.4K 41
"He's a breath of fresh air. The happiness to my sadness. The calm to my anxiety. He's an equal and opposite force, blocking me from the course of se...
377K 13.3K 37
Vivian works hard, plays even harder, but her senior year is derailed when the varsity linebacker moves in. β‹†β˜†β‹† Controlled chaos. Vivian Sok lives by...
308K 12.4K 51
Blaire Hayes enjoys a quiet life, spending her days as a CNA at the local nursing home and nights studying for exams. She prefers things to be as unc...